NATION

PASSWORD

Drug tests for Welfare

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Should drugs test be needed for welfare?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes : 238

Arlen Sanglere
Secretary

Founded: May 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Drug tests for Welfare

Postby Arlen Sanglere » Sun May 15, 2016 8:52 pm

Drug tests should be used for people on welfare. It is disgusting that so many druggies and losers are able to make it through society by using taxpayers money to support their addiction. I have seen it. They don't find work, they just sit around on their ass so they won't have to find work. They drink, smoke and use drugs. You should be forced to take a drug test for welfare so average people aren't ripped off and it is used for people looking for work. http://alcoholrehab.com/drug-addiction/ ... nce-abuse/ Drug abuse caused poverty. I think we should be cutting off those leeches so they have to find normal jobs which would reduce poverty.

What do you think? Should drugs test be needed for welfare?
Anti-Communist Anti-Fascist Left Winged Wiccan Australian girl. I hate drugs and drug users. Lenin was as bigger tyrant as Hitler.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun May 15, 2016 9:01 pm

No, because states that have tried it found that most welfare recipients passed the drug test. I think the cost of administering the test was enough so they didn't save money.

There are some other people on NS who are more well-read on the subject than I am, so we'll have to see if they weigh in with more info.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sun May 15, 2016 9:01 pm

USS Monitor wrote:No, because states that have tried it found that most welfare recipients passed the drug test. I think the cost of administering the test was enough so they didn't save money.

There are some other people on NS who are more well-read on the subject than I am, so we'll have to see if they weigh in with more info.

you're pretty much spot on
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun May 15, 2016 9:02 pm

USS Monitor wrote:No, because states that have tried it found that most welfare recipients passed the drug test. I think the cost of administering the test was enough so they didn't save money.

That's what I recall from brief readings. That the cost of the testing was far greater then any money saved.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun May 15, 2016 9:04 pm

It's also unconstitutional according to the Supreme Court of Florida because it constitutes unreasonable search. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/04/us/politics/court-strikes-down-drug-tests-for-florida-welfare-applicants.html?_r=0
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun May 15, 2016 9:04 pm

Souseiseki wrote:

you're pretty much spot on

Yeah. Pretty much.

It's more expensive than the problem you're trying to solve.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Arlen Sanglere
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Arlen Sanglere » Sun May 15, 2016 9:06 pm

Geilinor wrote:

It's also unconstitutional according to the Supreme Court of Florida because it constitutes unreasonable search. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/04/us/politics/court-strikes-down-drug-tests-for-florida-welfare-applicants.html?_r=0

It's not unconstitutional In Australia fortunately.

It removes people that abuse the system which is the point of it. You don't want the state paying for people's drug habits.
Last edited by Arlen Sanglere on Sun May 15, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anti-Communist Anti-Fascist Left Winged Wiccan Australian girl. I hate drugs and drug users. Lenin was as bigger tyrant as Hitler.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun May 15, 2016 9:07 pm

Arlen Sanglere wrote:
Geilinor wrote:It's also unconstitutional according to the Supreme Court of Florida because it constitutes unreasonable search. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/04/us/politics/court-strikes-down-drug-tests-for-florida-welfare-applicants.html?_r=0

Fortunately? It doesn't work as a method of getting people on treatment.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Arlen Sanglere
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Arlen Sanglere » Sun May 15, 2016 9:07 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Arlen Sanglere wrote:It's not unconstitutional In Australia fortunately.

Fortunately? It doesn't work as a method of getting people on treatment.

It will hopefully help them to be caught and then put in rehab.

Faustian Fantasies
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Faustian Fantasies » Sun May 15, 2016 9:09 pm

Arlen Sanglere wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Fortunately? It doesn't work as a method of getting people on treatment.

It will hopefully help them to be caught and then put in rehab.

Not everybody who fails a drug test should be in rehab.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun May 15, 2016 9:10 pm

Arlen Sanglere wrote:

It removes people that abuse the system which is the point of it. You don't want the state paying for people's drug habits.

Why do we want the government to become less efficient? I think that's the core question.

Even corporations realize that some theft is an inevitable consequence of existence - they don't overreact and attach a $100 GPS to every $2 ice cube tray. We know some waste is going to happen with the welfare system, but when the cure costs more than the problem we shouldn't do it, as it results in the government becoming less efficient.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:10 pm

Arlen Sanglere wrote:

Right, because it's a waste of taxpayer money. It falls a bit flat when you end up spending more taxpayer money than you save, though.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Arlen Sanglere
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Arlen Sanglere » Sun May 15, 2016 9:10 pm

Faustian Fantasies wrote:
Arlen Sanglere wrote:It will hopefully help them to be caught and then put in rehab.

Not everybody who fails a drug test should be in rehab.

Unless you are talking about Poppy seeds, I see no reasons why they wouldn't.

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Arlen Sanglere wrote:It removes people that abuse the system which is the point of it. You don't want the state paying for people's drug habits.

Right, because it's a waste of taxpayer money. It falls a bit flat when you end up spending more taxpayer money than you save, though.

No, it's because it is unethical. They are getting something for nothing. It's fine if they actually want work but most druggies don't want work.
Last edited by Arlen Sanglere on Sun May 15, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun May 15, 2016 9:10 pm

Arlen Sanglere wrote:Drug tests should be used for people on welfare. It is disgusting that so many druggies and losers are able to make it through society by using taxpayers money to support their addiction. I have seen it. They don't find work, they just sit around on their ass so they won't have to find work. They drink, smoke and use drugs. You should be forced to take a drug test for welfare so average people aren't ripped off and it is used for people looking for work. http://alcoholrehab.com/drug-addiction/ ... nce-abuse/ Drug abuse caused poverty. I think we should be cutting off those leeches so they have to find normal jobs which would reduce poverty.

Rick Scott, is that you?
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Arlen Sanglere
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Arlen Sanglere » Sun May 15, 2016 9:12 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Arlen Sanglere wrote:Drug tests should be used for people on welfare. It is disgusting that so many druggies and losers are able to make it through society by using taxpayers money to support their addiction. I have seen it. They don't find work, they just sit around on their ass so they won't have to find work. They drink, smoke and use drugs. You should be forced to take a drug test for welfare so average people aren't ripped off and it is used for people looking for work. http://alcoholrehab.com/drug-addiction/ ... nce-abuse/ Drug abuse caused poverty. I think we should be cutting off those leeches so they have to find normal jobs which would reduce poverty.

Rick Scott, is that you?

Who's Rick Scott?

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun May 15, 2016 9:12 pm

If drug tests were free, I would be for it, but the principle of the matter is not enough to compensate for the fact that it is a waste of funds.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Faustian Fantasies
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Faustian Fantasies » Sun May 15, 2016 9:12 pm

Arlen Sanglere wrote:[

Drug abuse is distinct from drug addiction. The former does not always lead to the latter.

Arlen Sanglere
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Arlen Sanglere » Sun May 15, 2016 9:13 pm

Arlen Sanglere wrote:[

Drug abuse is distinct from drug addiction. The former does not always lead to the latter.

Unfortunately, drug abuse still supports the people who cause drug addiction; drug dealers.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun May 15, 2016 9:16 pm

Arlen Sanglere wrote:
Geilinor wrote:It's also unconstitutional according to the Supreme Court of Florida because it constitutes unreasonable search. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/04/us/politics/court-strikes-down-drug-tests-for-florida-welfare-applicants.html?_r=0

And again it costs far more than it saves. So basically in one place you have people paying a small amount for the drug habit (no testing) and in the other you have people paying a far larger sum for people's drug habits(testing).
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

House of Judah
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby House of Judah » Sun May 15, 2016 9:16 pm

The test themselves are almost universally a waste, in the US at least they are unconstitutional, and it builds on a system of poor-shaming.

Faustian Fantasies
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Faustian Fantasies » Sun May 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Arlen Sanglere wrote:

Unfortunately, drug abuse still supports the people who cause drug addiction; drug dealers.

That may be true, but your original statement was that people who fail the tests need to be put in rehab.

Bodobol
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Bodobol » Sun May 15, 2016 9:19 pm

Arlen Sanglere wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
Rick Scott, is that you?

Who's Rick Scott?

Governor of Florida, who briefly drug tested welfare recipients, only to find that a mere 2.6% of those tested failed. The costs of drug testing in this instance far outweigh the benefits.
Last.fmRead my blogshe/her

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun May 15, 2016 9:21 pm

Arlen Sanglere wrote:

This testing wouldn't end the drug trade, though. Lots of people use drugs and are not on welfare, so there would still be a market for drugs.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun May 15, 2016 9:43 pm

I think there should be drug tests on welfare recipients. Not so the government can stop giving welfare payments but identify and help individuals who are suffering from addiction, which is likely why they're on welfare in the first place.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sun May 15, 2016 9:43 pm

It's one of those ideas that gets trotted out every so often as part of the let's-find-someone-to-blame political cycle.

It's a pointless idea. As others have pointed out, it's ridiculously expensive compared to what it might save.

I don't care if welfare recipients do drugs. I don't even care if they work. They can still provide important input to a functioning society, and there's no point constantly trying to force reality into a different shape when there's really no NEED for it.
I identify as
a problem

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General