NATION

PASSWORD

Erdogan threatens EU with "opening the flood gates"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Erdogan threatens EU with "opening the flood gates"

Postby Baltenstein » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:24 am

The latest news from our esteemed partner at the Bosporus:

In internal EU memo obtained by Greek media reveals the blatant Turkish blackmail on the refugee crisis. The memo contains a summary of the dialogue between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan with European Commissioner Jean Claude Juncker and President of the European Council Donald Tusk on 16th November 2015 during the G20 Summit in Antalya, Turkey. The three Presidents were discussing the Action Plan to tackle the Refugees and Migrants Crisis.

According to the memo, the bargain was hard and Turkey demanded 30 billion euro from the European Union in order to refrain from sending refugees and migrants to Europe through Greece.

EU’s offer was 3 billion euro in two years, but Erdogan demanded 3 billion euro per year.

In addition, Ankara threatened, that if the EU does not link the refugee issue to Turkey’s EU accession then it would:

1. Send buses full of refugees to Europe via Greece and Bulgaria and will let 10,000-15,000 refugees drown on its shores.

2. Turkey does not accept the 3 billion euro for two years he had agreed with and wants 3 billion a year at least, otherwise there will be no agreement.

3. Requests opening all accession funds soon and non instructions from the European Commission.

4. The European Commission deliberately delayed the publication of Turkey’s progress report, at the same Erdogan’s request to help him win the election.

Overwhelmed with arrogance Erdogan complains that the EU treated Turkey like a fool for 53 years and did not allow it to become full EU member, he compares a country like Luxembourg with the size of small Turkish town.

He also claimed that “Greece received 400 billion euro from Europe” during the economic crisis and that in fact Turkey should get a huge amount of money too. The two EU Officials told him, not to compare the Greek economic crisis with the refugee crisis. He claimed that the 3 billion euro will go for the refugees and not for Turkey.

The three-party meeting ended without an agreement.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-02-0 ... e-billions

So, from this leaked document we learn that the EU deliberately suppressed reports on Turkey's track record to help this insane joker get re-elected, that he doesn't care about the agreed arrangements on financial aid for Turkey and that he will send countless immigrants and refugees to Greece on purpose, if his demands aren't met, knowing full well that this will lead to thousands of deaths at sea.

This is the guy we have to cooperate with, gentlemen.
Last edited by Baltenstein on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:26 am

Good. And then maybe the EU can put the 3 billion to something worthwhile, like search and rescue for the refugees.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:31 am

Merizoc wrote:Good. And then maybe the EU can put the 3 billion to something worthwhile, like search and rescue for the refugees.

Then Erdogan will flood it with more refugees. He's not exactly wanting refugees in his country.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:31 am

Suppose we could also just let him play with Russia on his own?
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity.
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

The Hobbesian Metaphysician
Minister

Founded: Sep 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hobbesian Metaphysician » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:33 am

Shamhnan Insir wrote:Suppose we could also just let him play with Russia on his own?

Better if both countries governments go play in traffic if they want to act like children.
I am just going to lay it out here, I am going to be very blunt.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:33 am

If the EU did give erdogan the money he would most likely put every cent into his own pockets then towards legitimate uses for either his people or the refugees. That's more of a reason to not let turkey in until theirs a leadership change in a the Turkish government.
Last edited by Gig em Aggies on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hobbesian Metaphysician » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:34 am

The Qeiiam Star Cluster wrote:Can someone just coup Erdo already?

You know the military in Turkey used to actually coup people, and let democratic governments take over again.

Not sure about todays military though.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:36 am

Baltenstein wrote:The latest news from our esteemed partner at the Bosporus:

In internal EU memo obtained by Greek media reveals the blatant Turkish blackmail on the refugee crisis. The memo contains a summary of the dialogue between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan with European Commissioner Jean Claude Juncker and President of the European Council Donald Tusk on 16th November 2015 during the G20 Summit in Antalya, Turkey. The three Presidents were discussing the Action Plan to tackle the Refugees and Migrants Crisis.

According to the memo, the bargain was hard and Turkey demanded 30 billion euro from the European Union in order to refrain from sending refugees and migrants to Europe through Greece.

EU’s offer was 3 billion euro in two years, but Erdogan demanded 3 billion euro per year.

In addition, Ankara threatened, that if the EU does not link the refugee issue to Turkey’s EU accession then it would:

1. Send buses full of refugees to Europe via Greece and Bulgaria and will let 10,000-15,000 refugees drown on its shores.

2. Turkey does not accept the 3 billion euro for two years he had agreed with and wants 3 billion a year at least, otherwise there will be no agreement.

3. Requests opening all accession funds soon and non instructions from the European Commission.

4. The European Commission deliberately delayed the publication of Turkey’s progress report, at the same Erdogan’s request to help him win the election.

Overwhelmed with arrogance Erdogan complains that the EU treated Turkey like a fool for 53 years and did not allow it to become full EU member, he compares a country like Luxembourg with the size of small Turkish town.

He also claimed that “Greece received 400 billion euro from Europe” during the economic crisis and that in fact Turkey should get a huge amount of money too. The two EU Officials told him, not to compare the Greek economic crisis with the refugee crisis. He claimed that the 3 billion euro will go for the refugees and not for Turkey.

The three-party meeting ended without an agreement.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-02-0 ... e-billions

So, from this leaked document we learn that the EU deliberately suppressed reports on Turkey's track record to help this insane joker get re-elected, that he doesn't care about the agreed arrangements on financial aid for Turkey and that he will send countless immigrants and refugees to Greece on purpose, if his demands aren't met, knowing full well that this will lead to thousands of deaths at sea.

This is the guy we have to cooperate with, gentlemen.

IF this source is reliable (a big "if" - ZeroHedge isn't exactly...level-headed), then the straight reply to give would be to shut down the Turkish border with EU countries. A bit hard to send buses full of refugees then, no? Sadly, this would turn the refugees into political footballs...but then, they are that anyway.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:36 am

The Qeiiam Star Cluster wrote:Can someone just coup Erdo already?

Erdogan's defanged them (Ergenekon trials) and then won over the rest. No such luck.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:38 am

New Chalcedon wrote:
IF this source is reliable (a big "if" - ZeroHedge isn't exactly...level-headed), then the straight reply to give would be to shut down the Turkish border with EU countries. A bit hard to send buses full of refugees then, no? Sadly, this would turn the refugees into political footballs...but then, they are that anyway.

The maritime border is the trickier issue here. Given this is Erdogan, he might well just propel refugee laden boats across the water, requiring a huge expense of already swamped EU efforts (and probably more refugee deaths) to turn them back.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:38 am

Baltenstein wrote:According to the memo, the bargain was hard and Turkey demanded 30 billion euro from the European Union in order to refrain from sending refugees and migrants to Europe through Greece.

Holy racketeering, Batman!

I don't think he's going far enough. Let Turkey in the EU or you'll get MORE terrorists and breeding-age migrants (who more often than not leave women and children behind) to screw your crap up!

Also, the current ruler of Turkey is a nightmare: he's exposed his dominionist side before and seems bent on gradually forcing the famously secular Turkish Republic into Shariah Hell.

If I was offering a counter offer, I'd say "if you flood the migrants into Europe, we'll get you expelled from NATO".
Last edited by TURTLESHROOM II on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jesus loves you and died for you!
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
"NOOKULAR" STOCKPILE: 701,033 fission and dropping, 7 fusion.
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

Lillorainen wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 4/6/2024 AD):

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:45 am

TURTLESHROOM II wrote:
Baltenstein wrote:According to the memo, the bargain was hard and Turkey demanded 30 billion euro from the European Union in order to refrain from sending refugees and migrants to Europe through Greece.

Holy racketeering, Batman!

I don't think he's going far enough. Let Turkey in the EU or you'll get MORE terrorists and breeding-age migrants (who more often than not leave women and children behind) to screw your crap up!

Also, the current ruler of Turkey is a nightmare: he's exposed his dominionist side before and seems bent on gradually forcing the famously secular Turkish Republic into Shariah Hell.

If I was offering a counter offer, I'd say "if you flood the migrants into Europe, we'll get you expelled from NATO".

The problem is, the EU has no say over NATO membership.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Val Halla
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Val Halla » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:52 am

I'm determined to turn "Oh Erdogan" into a political meme.

Anyway it's gross and dehumanising to call a group of people a flood regardless of who they are.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
WOMAN

She/her

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:52 am

He's right about one thing. Europe has mistreated Turkey for some 50 years. Aside from that, what a prick.

Celibrae
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Celibrae » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:55 am

Wanker.
"Though much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Hobbesian Metaphysician » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:57 am

Mike the Progressive wrote:He's right about one thing. Europe has mistreated Turkey for some 50 years. Aside from that, what a prick.

So they are basically a strawman with a point (television trope) ?

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:58 am

Personally, I don't think there's an easy solution. The pursuit of quick deals by the EU is hampering its own position and also flying straight in the face of all their strategic doctrines (good work there). As I understand it, conventional logic is that Turkey is too critical to let go (that may be disputed, but we're looking short on allies right now). However, equally, Erdogan is... Erdogan, and acting much more like a liability than an asset in almost every theatre.

But if we seriously present threats (say, NATO expulsion; non cooperation; freeze on EU accession; etc) to counter his, that is also a very risky policy, which could rebound in disaster - none of our goals achieved, while having alienated the only large ally we have there outside of Saudi Arabia, and one with the levers to the conflict in Syria, the refugee crisis the Kurds and combatting IS. I would only take that risk if Erdogan was near the end of his reign, but right now, AK is enjoying a fresh term of government, with no prospect of a new election or mass protests (which would create civil instability anyway), and the economy is only starting to go into reverse (which will damage if not destroy AK's prestige, but only eventually). Time is on our side the long run, but not right now, and because of the refugee crisis, we can't stall until it is on our side. Its hard position to negotiate from, unless Europe could utilise American pressure (not going to happen in an election year).

So, given all that, I'd reluctantly say make limited financial concessions (as Tusk and Juncker are doing) to make a play of placating Erdogan (getting his hopes up, but not quite satisfying them, so he has to keep making these deals) until the balance shifts in our favour.
Last edited by Valaran on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

New Benian Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Benian Republic » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:02 am

Tell Russia Europe won't intervene if they attack Russia is Erdogan keeps this up.
~~~Support Sinn Féinn I guess~~~

~Like all true Irishmen I have no ancestors. I was birthed from Ireland's soil itself, fully formed, like a potato.~
Pro: United Ireland, IRA, Allan Ryan, Palestine, Malvinas, Ukraine, Hamas-Fatah cooperation, legalized Gay marriage, Tibetan Resistance, Basque Separatists, OPM.
Neutral: Bathroom segregation.

Anti: English Imperialism, Nazism, communism, Israel, Zionism, Margret thatcher, Martin McGuinness, good Friday agreement.
I am an Irish Atheist and Republican, Not a Dissident stop saying I am.
RIP Óglach Alan Ryan

~~Proud Gaelige Speaker~~

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:04 am

Mike the Progressive wrote:He's right about one thing. Europe has mistreated Turkey for some 50 years. Aside from that, what a prick.

Um, how did Europe mistreat Turkey after it revoked the Treaty of Sevres, instead signing the (much more lenient) Treaty of Lausanne three years later? Compared to the rest of the Central Powers, Turkey ended up getting off lightly.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:07 am

New Chalcedon wrote:

Um, how did Europe mistreat Turkey after it revoked the Treaty of Sevres, instead signing the (much more lenient) Treaty of Lausanne three years later? Compared to the rest of the Central Powers, Turkey ended up getting off lightly.

In fairness, the events that you are talking about are over 50 years ago.

Kazirstan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kazirstan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:07 am

Umm... This can't be real right?

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:07 am

New Chalcedon wrote:

Central powers? I said the last 50 years. Not the last 100.

The S C P Foundation
Attaché

Founded: Jan 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The S C P Foundation » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:09 am

Hold on, though...why is this not being covered by any other news source? I'm calling BS on this, personally, until it shows up elsewhere.
"Mankind must not go back to hiding in fear. While the rest of mankind dwells in the light, we must stand in the darkness to fight it, contain it, and shield it from the eyes of the public, so that others may live in a sane and normal world."

The Foundation: a global, secret shadow government tasked with protecting humanity from the horrors of all things unknown and anomalous.
http://www.scp-wiki.net
The quote is not mine. That was written by the author known as FritzWillie/The Administrator on the SCP Foundation Wiki. MT/FanT with bits of PMT and FT. NS stats are not accurate.
Puppet of Avrellon, a.k.a. the Orion Posthuman Republic.
IC Name: "The Foundation."

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:11 am

Kazirstan wrote:

Umm... This can't be real right?

Dude, it's Erdogan.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General