NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] Museum Piece Threatens to Kill Us All

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Submitted] Museum Piece Threatens to Kill Us All

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:48 pm

A construction crew in the centre of @@CAPITAL@@ have just discovered a chilling find: an rusted old bomber from the Maxtopian War decades ago... carrying a primed and ready 10000kg bomb!

validity: all

[option] "Get rid of it!!" cries movie enthusiast @@RANDOMNAME@@ from under your desk. "Get a bomb disposal team on there NOW! I'm positive they'll know how to defuse thing, it's cutting the red wire right?! Please, SAVE US @@LEADER@@!
[effect] the 24 hour newscylce is worshipping bomb disposal units as saviours of @@CAPITAL@@.

[option] "And how do you think that's going to work?" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, the ordnance expert you happened to have on speed dial."The best way of handling such unexploded bombs is to, well, explode them. The bomb is so badly rusted that we can't dare move it to a safe place, so obviously @@CAPITAL@@ will have to be evacuated. We'll have to prepare a pretty hefty cheque for the rebuilding, considering such a bomb is likely to cause a small earthquake, but better safely detonated than sitting in the earth."
[effect] the controlled bombing of @@CAPITAL@@ is a viral sensation

[option] "That's a hare-brained idea just because of the explosive unpopularity it would cause" notes professor @@RANDOMNAME@@ from the University of @@CURRENCY@@ville, many miles away from @@CAPITAL@@. "But there is much we could learn from this bomber. How did it get there? Who was the crew? What was their mission? Such a plane could be a veritable treasure trove of information and I'll bet my team is the team to see to it! Even if it's rusted almost beyond use!"
[effect] history students are poking ancient ordnance for fun

[option] "Nobody needs to know about this." states construction worker @@RANDOMNAME@@, weary of bad publicity."My team and I won't tell anyone, I promise. We can just rebury the plane alongside the records and we can shut up. We can then all live in blissful ignorance and have life continue as usual.
[effect] the government asserts that claims it covers up unexploded ordnance are urban legends.
Last edited by Annihilators of Chan Island on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:05 am, edited 6 times in total.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:35 pm

...and why can't the bombs be set off in a remote area, maybe a bomb range? :eyebrow: Also, why does the bomber have several nukes, when just one can level a city? (they're pretty heavy, too)
Nevertheless, a bomber's bombs should actually be trivially easy to disarm, because it's difficult to disarm a bomb on its way to the ground.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:04 pm

I will echo the above poster. Also, unless your country is crazy, nuclear weapons are inherently fail-safe, meaning they do not just go off.
"There are decades when nothing happens. There are weeks where decades happen" -Vladimir Lenin

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:38 am

Leppikania wrote:...and why can't the bombs be set off in a remote area, maybe a bomb range? :eyebrow: Also, why does the bomber have several nukes, when just one can level a city? (they're pretty heavy, too)
Nevertheless, a bomber's bombs should actually be trivially easy to disarm, because it's difficult to disarm a bomb on its way to the ground.

Maljaratas wrote:I will echo the above poster. Also, unless your country is crazy, nuclear weapons are inherently fail-safe, meaning they do not just go off.

Both good points. I'll add a few words noting that they have severely degraded. Even the most failsafe bomb risks going off randomly after a couple of decades of decay.

A bomber's bombs are fairly easy to disarm, but after 70 years of degradation it's much harder than that. Relatively recently one set off killing some of the experts assigned to disarm it.

As for how many bombs... yeah, it definately would only need one. Consider it edited.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:09 am

One more thing, if there was a Maxtopian war that implies the country has a military.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:18 am

Disagree with that, its not stated explicitly that the Maxtopian War involved the home nation. My main nation has no military and has never been to war, but I can still see a crashed bomber might have ended up there.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:18 pm

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:Both good points. I'll add a few words noting that they have severely degraded. Even the most failsafe bomb risks going off randomly after a couple of decades of decay.
The most failsafe conventional bombs, yes. Nuclear explosions are inherently difficult to set off.

It takes some very exact timing to cause a nuke to go off. Even if you set off another bomb right next to the nuke, it won't cause a chain reaction.

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:A bomber's bombs are fairly easy to disarm, but after 70 years of degradation it's much harder than that. Relatively recently one set off killing some of the experts assigned to disarm it.
I asume you mean a conventional bomb, since if someone had accidentally set off a nuke I'm sure I would have heard about it.

Nuclear bombs work on entirely different principles from chemical ones. The same considerations do not apply.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:04 am

Shame, because the "controlled nuking" line is a good one.

Would it be worth smudging it a bit to allow suspension of disbelief? Perhaps instead of a "nuclear bomb" you could make it a "radiological dispersal device, otherwise known as a Dirty Bomb". Still, I'm not sure that would be called "nuking". That would still allow for an effect line of "the controlled irradiation of @@CAPITAL@@..."

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:57 am

I've edited it to be a conventional bomb (of roughly the same weight of the historically used Gland Slam Bomb. Shame, not as exciting as a nuke but located in the centre of a city pretty capable of a lot of damage.

Anything else?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:14 am

Leppikania wrote:Also, why does the bomber have several nukes, when just one can level a city? (they're pretty heavy, too)

Well, in RL at one time, the USA's B-52 ('Stratofortress') was adapted to carry 20 nuclear air-to-surface missiles...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:31 am

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:I've edited it to be a conventional bomb (of roughly the same weight of the historically used Gland Slam Bomb. Shame, not as exciting as a nuke but located in the centre of a city pretty capable of a lot of damage.

Anything else?

I note option 3 had a lot of nuclear-related puns. Maybe revisit the wording here?

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:32 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:I've edited it to be a conventional bomb (of roughly the same weight of the historically used Gland Slam Bomb. Shame, not as exciting as a nuke but located in the centre of a city pretty capable of a lot of damage.

Anything else?

I note option 3 had a lot of nuclear-related puns. Maybe revisit the wording here?

Re-worded it to exclude nuclear based puns.

Anything else?

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:59 am

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:information and I'll bet vet my team is the team to see to it!

Quick spelling error, but I'm liking this so far.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:53 pm

Flanderlion wrote:
Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:information and I'll bet vet my team is the team to see to it!

Quick spelling error, but I'm liking this so far.

Oops, didn't see this. Just when I was going to submit this issue too!

Well, edited.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?