NATION

PASSWORD

(Raft) Protecting Stakeholders

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
New Vancouvia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

(Raft) Protecting Stakeholders

Postby New Vancouvia » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:28 pm

Free Trade, Mild

The World Assembly,

Recognizing the international scope of many companies presently conducting business and trade in our member nations;

Perceiving the existence and prevalence of many international exchanges wherein international companies' stocks are listed and traded, and firmly expressing the great value of a knowledgeable marketplace in which publicly traded companies' financial information is presented for investors and other stakeholders in a clear, relevant, and useful manner;

Emphasizing the benefits to stakeholders when companies' financial information is accurate, reliable, relevant, consistent, representationally faithful, and timely;

Mandates that all publicly traded companies in member nations disclose financial information in a financial report published at least annually but preferably quarterly, and requires that this financial report presents all material financial information in an accurate, reliable, relevant, consistent, representationally faithful, and timely manner;

Requires that all publicly traded companies in member nations be externally audited by an independent, unbiased, and professional auditing agency in regular and reasonable intervals, and that the results of these audits be made publicly available for all stakeholders;

Recommends that non-publicly traded companies issue financial reports and submit themselves to audits in the manner described above as well;

Advocates that any publicly traded company which fails to disclose financial information in an adequate manner, or misleads stakeholders with materially false financial reports, be removed from their trading exchange until such time as they have rectified their financial reporting practices;

Excludes from these standards any company which lacks international stakeholders;

Holds member nations responsible for overseeing and enforcing these standards in their respective exchanges.
Last edited by New Vancouvia on Wed May 04, 2016 9:50 am, edited 15 times in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:49 pm

OOC: Brain's too tired to deal with anything to do with accounting, so leaving that for others, but I was just wondering why you're posting on your puppet? Your main nation is the one in WA after all.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

New Vancouvia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Vancouvia » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:04 pm

Using this nation for all WA things so I can keep track of it all easier in the future

Normlpeople
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:29 am

"I can see if the corporation is traded on a foreign exchange, however, I do not see why nations are incapable of setting their own standards for domestic trading.

Perhaps the line between the two could be made clearer? As it stands it falls into domestic micromanagement a bit too much for my liking."
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

We Couldnt Agree On A Name
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby We Couldnt Agree On A Name » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:18 am

We have no objections at this time and are willing to offer our tentative support.
Am I right in thinking this is categorized under free trade on the grounds that inconsistent standards act as a barrier to trade?

Normlpeople wrote:"I can see if the corporation is traded on a foreign exchange, however, I do not see why nations are incapable of setting their own standards for domestic trading.

Perhaps the line between the two could be made clearer? As it stands it falls into domestic micromanagement a bit too much for my liking."

Well, even if a company is only traded domestically there is a benefit to having a consistent standard by which to compare it to internationally traded companies. As written nothing precludes a nation from having it's own reporting standards as well.
World Assembly Representative: Ms. Adriene Beaumont | "We write legislation here, not dictionaries."
I'll use stats when you fix 443.3

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:01 am

"We would view this as an unnecessary imposition on our listed companies which will only increase the costs of doing business. With this in mind, we do not believe the category is accurate. The proposal enforces requirements on businesses, it does not increase economic freedoms.

"We would also question the feasibility of a committee of gnomes being able to achieve the convergence of the accounting standards of 20,000 odd member states. Plus, there is no direction given in the draft as to what areas the gnomes should concern themselves with or what the general policy should be. We are never fans of the WA outsourcing member state's competencies and decision making to WA committees.

"As it stands, the People's Republic of Bananaistan will be opposed."

- Ted Hornwood
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

New Vancouvia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Vancouvia » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:41 am

Bananaistan wrote:"We would view this as an unnecessary imposition on our listed companies which will only increase the costs of doing business.

Of course it will increase the costs, but it will benefit all stakeholders in the long run.

We Couldnt Agree On A Name wrote:We have no objections at this time and are willing to offer our tentative support.
Am I right in thinking this is categorized under free trade on the grounds that inconsistent standards act as a barrier to trade?

That's right, by increasing consumer confidence in international companies and exchanges, it reduces barriers to free trade.
Last edited by New Vancouvia on Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:11 am

New Vancouvia wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:"We would view this as an unnecessary imposition on our listed companies which will only increase the costs of doing business.

Of course it will increase the costs, but it will benefit all stakeholders in the long run.

OOC: That has no relevance whatsoever to the debate. In any case, I can just as easily link you to a long list of disadvantages of that act, starting with the criticisms section of that wiki page. The point is that your proposal is not a free trade proposal as it decreases rather than increase economic freedoms.
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

New Vancouvia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Vancouvia » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:26 am

Bananaistan wrote:
New Vancouvia wrote:

The point is that your proposal is not a free trade proposal as it decreases rather than increase economic freedoms.

"A resolution to reduce barriers to free trade and commerce."

The category doesn't have to do with economic freedoms; it has to do with reducing barriers to free trade. And this certainly does reduce barriers to free trade. Corruption, fraud, and mistrust being some of those barriers that this will reduce.
Last edited by New Vancouvia on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:44 am

New Vancouvia wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:
The point is that your proposal is not a free trade proposal as it decreases rather than increase economic freedoms.

"A resolution to reduce barriers to free trade and commerce."

The category doesn't have to do with economic freedoms; it has to do with reducing barriers to free trade. And this certainly does reduce barriers to free trade. Corruption, fraud, and mistrust being some of those barriers that this will reduce.

Perhaps I could refer you to the explanation of the category rules:

These are almost exactly opposed types of resolutions. Both affect Economic freedoms. "Free Trade" increases Economic freedoms while "Social Justice" reduces Economic freedoms. "Social Justice" increases government spending on welfare and targets living standards. Economic freedoms primarily discuss how much regulation there is on business/industry or how much government spending goes to helping poor/sick people. Total Economic freedom is Laissez-faire Capitalism. Zero Economic freedom is a completely government-controlled economy. Creating a Food and Drug Administration in all WA member nations, or creating a Securities and Exchange Commission in all WA member nations is imposing a mild form of Economic control, and therefore a mild reduction of Economic freedoms; you're imposing restrictions on what businesses and industries may do and you're moving away from a completely-uncontrolled Laissez-faire system.

Edit: I also like some form of explanation or rationale of how the committee are supposed to produce a coherent set of accounting standards by "converging" all extant accounting standards in member states. I just can't see that it's possible.
Last edited by Bananaistan on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

New Vancouvia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Vancouvia » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:54 pm

I'll refer you to this http://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_pas ... /start=176 which is very similar and is Free Trade, just as this should be.

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:09 am

OOC: Perhaps you might actually answer my substantive points?

I'll list them out again to make it easy for you.

1) Just how feasible is it for any committee to converge the accounting standards of 20,000 member states? Is it even possible to do so when certain systems may have diametrically opposite ways of accounting for the same transactions? And don't forget that many member states may not even use currency, or may state their accounts in units of bubblegum or unicorn farts or whatever.

2) Your draft enacts regulations on individuals and organisations. How does this increase economic freedoms? Hint: explain this instead of just linking to other material, such as GAR#177.

3) Please justify why we should allow a committee to decide what the accounting framework in each member state should be? Why can't member states do this themselves when they have a far better knowledge of what they need in their own countries to suit their own circumstances and culture rather than some behemoth of a one size fits all policy which would only end up tying everyone up in red tape. Additionally, tax law will in each member state will remain the same. But now everyone will have to translate their financial statements from this WA standard to their own local standard. It's just unnecessary cost which destroys trade rather than increasing it.
Last edited by Bananaistan on Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:16 am

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: Perhaps you might actually answer my substantive points?

1) Just how feasible is it for any committee to converge the accounting standards of 20,000 member states? Is it even possible to do so when certain systems may have diametrically opposite ways of accounting for the same transactions? And don't forget that many member states may not even use currency, or may state their accounts in units of bubblegum or unicorn farts or whatever.

2) Your draft enacts regulations on individuals and organisations. How does this increase economic freedoms? Hint: explain this instead of just linking to other material, such as GAR#177.

3) Please justify why we should allow a committee to decide what the accounting framework in each member state should be? Why can't member states do this themselves when they have a far better knowledge of what they need in their own countries to suit their own circumstances and culture rather than some behemoth of a one size fits all policy which would only end up tying everyone up in red tape. Additionally, tax law will in each member state will remain the same. But now everyone will have to translate their financial statements from this WA standard to their own local standard. It's just unnecessary cost which destroys trade rather than increasing it.

OOC: I have the same concerns on all points. A point-by-point by the author would be very helpful on this front.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:55 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:A point-by-point by the author would be very helpful on this front.

OOC: And a small miracle, at that.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

New Vancouvia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Vancouvia » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:54 am

Bananaistan wrote:OOC: Perhaps you might actually answer my substantive points?

Accounting isn't concerned with the type of currency used; it's irrelevant. Converging standards is very possible, even if there were billions of states; the creation of a system doesn't need to take in account all the different types of varying and extreme "systems" used: it needs to be a "coherent, adoptable, and straightforward set of accounting standards in which financial information must be presented by publicly traded companies in an accurate, reliable, relevant, consistent, and timely manner." That is a general but specific enough description of a well-made financial reporting system.

I've already explained why this is a resolution to reduce barriers to free trade and commerce. Just like lots of other free trade resolutions it enforces national standards to make international trade more accessible and free.

Accounting is a fairly universal concept, especially accounting in member states that actually have stock exchanges. And this doesn't enforce a one size fits all policy because of the line "a level at or above the standards set by the IFSB." Naturally, any corporation can continue their own financial reporting standards if they are already acting above par.

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:42 am

New Vancouvia wrote:Accounting isn't concerned with the type of currency used; it's irrelevant. Converging standards is very possible, even if there were billions of states; the creation of a system doesn't need to take in account all the different types of varying and extreme "systems" used: it needs to be a "coherent, adoptable, and straightforward set of accounting standards in which financial information must be presented by publicly traded companies in an accurate, reliable, relevant, consistent, and timely manner." That is a general but specific enough description of a well-made financial reporting system.

OOC: That would be fine IRL. It won't work in NS when some nations use bits of sticks for currency.

I've already explained why this is a resolution to reduce barriers to free trade and commerce. Just like lots of other free trade resolutions it enforces national standards to make international trade more accessible and free.

Except it doesn't enforce national standards. It lets a committee go off and decide on an international standard which everyone must comply with. And it gives that committee a very poorly defined and broad terms of reference.

Accounting is a fairly universal concept, especially accounting in member states that actually have stock exchanges. And this doesn't enforce a one size fits all policy because of the line "a level at or above the standards set by the IFSB." Naturally, any corporation can continue their own financial reporting standards if they are already acting above par.

A reporting entity either complies with the standard or it doesn't. Aside from explanatory text in notes to financial statements, the entity has either applied the prescribed accounting treatment to a transaction or it hasn't. There is no such thing as "at or above". Using a straightforward RL example, IFRS prohibits amortisation of goodwill and enforces annual impairment reviews. UK GAAP enforces amortisation of goodwill. A RL privately owned entity in the UK, cannot do both. It either applies IFRS or UK GAAP.

Applying this situation to your proposal, the committee will have to decide what the standard for accounting for goodwill is. When they do so, every single reporting entity to which the proposal applies, will have to follow that treatment. It will be impossible for them to be "at or above". They will be either compliant or noncompliant.

Furthermore, any such entity has to apply the same GAAP throughout it's financial statements. It can't pick and choose areas from both to apply to different parts of the accounts. If it did, the financial statements would end up being completely meaningless.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

New Vancouvia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Vancouvia » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:39 am

It literally does not matter that someone uses sticks instead of dollars. Sticks can still be accounted for and be financially reported on.

It does enforce national standards. It sets a reasonable bar and requires nations to be at or above that mark. And then it very importantly requires external auditing.

There is a thing as at or above. You can always provide more detail. For example, if the IFSB requires quarterly statements, then a company could choose to publish monthly.

A company picking and choosing would fail the consistent and/or reliable requirement.

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:11 am

It sets international standards that have to be applied. How is this a national standard?

If the company only does monthly reports, they will be noncompliant. If the standard requires quarterly accounts, they must produce quarterly accounts. It's straightforward. Monthly accounts are not more detail, thery're just doing something other than that which the standard requires. it's black and white.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:46 am

"Please clarify that these proposed standards will not include setting any one specific mathematical scale (for example, 'base-10') as required for use in all member nations' accounting methods."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Bananaistan
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:50 am

Bears Armed wrote:Please clarify that these proposed standards will not include setting any one specific mathematical scale (e.g. base-10) as required for use in all member nations' accounting methods.

There's nothing in the proposal to say that they won't. In fact the committee could come up with any bizarre eejitry they wanted to. There's no direction in the proposal, we are supposed to just give this committee a blank cheque to do with our accounting standards as they wish.

Edit: Also, it's time to roll out my usual objection based on the forgotten resolution (GAR#68 National Economic Freedoms):
REQUIRES that no commerce be generally restricted by the WA unless:

1. Restricted by prior legislation, or
2. The enterprise causes an extreme hazard to national populations

The proposal at hand would not compliant as there is no extreme hazard here that it seeks to rectify.
Last edited by Bananaistan on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

New Vancouvia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Vancouvia » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:52 am

Bananaistan wrote:It sets international standards that have to be applied. How is this a national standard?

If the company only does monthly reports, they will be noncompliant. If the standard requires quarterly accounts, they must produce quarterly accounts. It's straightforward. Monthly accounts are not more detail, thery're just doing something other than that which the standard requires. it's black and white.

Disagree with you there. If a company issues monthly reports then most likely they are doing quarterly reports too, and if they're not, then all you have to do is take three months and add.

The proposal at hand would not compliant as there is no extreme hazard here that it seeks to rectify.

A fraudulent international marketplace/exchange is an extreme hazard.

Bears Armed wrote:"Please clarify that these proposed standards will not include setting any one specific mathematical scale (for example, 'base-10') as required for use in all member nations' accounting methods."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.

This is just like the currency thing; it doesn't matter which base you use so long as the information is presented in an accurate, reliable, relevant, consistent, and timely manner. Consistency would be the big one here. If a company is continually issuing its statements in binary then it should keep issuing them in binary as opposed to swapping back and forth every year. Also, relevancy. If stakeholders cannot read binary, then they should switch to a more accessible form permanently.
Last edited by New Vancouvia on Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

We Couldnt Agree On A Name
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby We Couldnt Agree On A Name » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:25 pm

Bananaistan wrote:Perhaps I could refer you to the explanation of the category rules:

These are almost exactly opposed types of resolutions. Both affect Economic freedoms. "Free Trade" increases Economic freedoms while "Social Justice" reduces Economic freedoms. "Social Justice" increases government spending on welfare and targets living standards. Economic freedoms primarily discuss how much regulation there is on business/industry or how much government spending goes to helping poor/sick people. Total Economic freedom is Laissez-faire Capitalism. Zero Economic freedom is a completely government-controlled economy. Creating a Food and Drug Administration in all WA member nations, or creating a Securities and Exchange Commission in all WA member nations is imposing a mild form of Economic control, and therefore a mild reduction of Economic freedoms; you're imposing restrictions on what businesses and industries may do and you're moving away from a completely-uncontrolled Laissez-faire system.

"At the risk of going off topic I'd like to remind the good delegate that Laissez-faire capitalism allows, indeed requires regulation necessary to facilitate a free market, including measures against fraud."
World Assembly Representative: Ms. Adriene Beaumont | "We write legislation here, not dictionaries."
I'll use stats when you fix 443.3

Ubitarium
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ubitarium » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:29 pm

Our civilisation has no money and no accounting. Everything is synthesised by our ridiculous number of ZPMs. What is the need for accounting?
Top quality banter

New Vancouvia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby New Vancouvia » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:35 pm

Ubitarium wrote:Our civilisation has no money and no accounting. Everything is synthesised by our ridiculous number of ZPMs. What is the need for accounting?

Then I'm guessing you have no publicly traded corporations either? Congratulations, you have RP'd so well that you are no longer subject to this lowly GA resolution

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Bananaistan wrote:If the company only does monthly reports, they will be noncompliant. If the standard requires quarterly accounts, they must produce quarterly accounts.

If I understand this correctly, "quarters" fall at the beginning or ending of months. This means that, in nations with 12 month calendars, for example, every 3 months, the previous 3 monthly reports would be compiled and sent to the IFSB as a quarterly report. The rest of the reports would be published domestically, and the company could do it's monthly reports and still comply.
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.
From the desk of Rupert Pink:
The Grand Gallifreyan Republic of Whovian Tardisia
Floor 12, Office 42 of WAHQ
Proud patron of the World Assembly Stranger's Bar.
The Interstellar Cartographers are back! This time, they explore Methuselah.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly