NATION

PASSWORD

National Front rise in France

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Father Knows Best State

National Front rise in France

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:58 pm

It would appear that National Front (FN) have made significant gains in the first regional elections in France, their leader Marine Le Pen having gained more than 40% of the vote in her region and with the party achieving 30% overall in the polls.
LINK:

Whilst President Hollande has received much higher approval ratings for his response to the Paris attacks in November, it hasn't boosted his party who lag behind the FN. The nationalist policies and anti-EU stance of the FN has garnered it much of that support, gaining outright wins across the regions.

What do you think this means for the future of France? Is this a reactionary blip on the political radar screen in response to the horrendous attacks that Paris witnessed last month, or is this a more permanent and ominous swing into far-right territory? If so, do you think we could be seeing another crack beginning in the old heartlands of the EU?

IMO, it's early to say whether or not the FN will continue their rise. Much of the EU, especially France is still on high alert, and their is also still anger. The shit-fest of handling refugees this year wore into the bonds of the EU and have created this sentiment and nationalism. I'd hate to see nationalistic notions born out of spite and aggression gain a stronger foothold in Europe.
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity.
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

Kraylandia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kraylandia » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:58 pm

Well, that's democracy for you.
You can call me Luci
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent..
Jello is my bored buddy!
Lito's NS wife

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:02 pm

Kraylandia wrote:Well, that's democracy for you.

True. But you've got to remember that democracy is a shit way of doing things. Guillotines are the way forward...
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

ErVaReAn rEpUbLiC
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 06, 2014
Anarchy

Postby ErVaReAn rEpUbLiC » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:05 pm

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Le Pen won the French presidential election, right after the Donald takes it.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:06 pm

Ervarean Republic wrote:It would be interesting to see what would happen if Le Pen won the French presidential election, right after the Donald takes it.

I foresee a hilarious back and forth between those two.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:09 pm

Ervarean Republic wrote:It would be interesting to see what would happen if Le Pen won the French presidential election, right after the Donald takes it.

Aside from horrific love-children, it would make for an interesting development in Atlantic diplomacy.
Call me Sham

Kraylandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kraylandia » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:09 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Wouldn't they be best friends though? They're both batshat insane far-right wingers.
You can call me Luci
Jello is my bored buddy!
Lito's NS wife

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Noooooooooo!

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Kraylandia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Wouldn't they be best friends though? They're both batshat insane far-right wingers.

Marine Le Pen is serious. Trump? Who knows. I often think Trump's bid for POTUS is nothing more than a joke that got out of hand.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:11 pm

Not that I agree with what the Front National stand for, but this is pretty understandable given what France has recently experience. France still has massive issues with its Muslim population not being fully integrated into French society even into second and third generations.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

The Hobbesian Metaphysician
Minister

Founded: Sep 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hobbesian Metaphysician » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:11 pm

Shamhnan Insir wrote:
Kraylandia wrote:Well, that's democracy for you.

True. But you've got to remember that democracy is a shit way of doing things. Guillotines are the way forward...

Ah yes the so called prize of the Enlightenment. The era of Romanticism proved humans are inherently irrational.
I am just going to lay it out here, I am going to be very blunt.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:Not that I agree with what the Front National stand for, but this is pretty understandable given what France has recently experience. France still has massive issues with its Muslim population not being fully integrated into French society even into second and third generations.

I won't lie, it is a tad worrying that nationalism has taken the turn it has in France. Nationalism is a double edged sword.
Slava Ukraini

Kraylandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kraylandia » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:14 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:Not that I agree with what the Front National stand for, but this is pretty understandable given what France has recently experience. France still has massive issues with its Muslim population not being fully integrated into French society even into second and third generations.

I couldn't agree more.
You can call me Luci
Jello is my bored buddy!
Lito's NS wife

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:15 pm

Dear, oh dear.

Historians! Grab yer pens and papers cos this'll be something for the history books!
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:15 pm

I am hoping that this is the dawn of a permanent shift toward the right within French politics, it goes to show that there is hope yet for France. I am just anticipating when the Front National can get into office. It couldn't be sooner. I am thrilled at the prospect.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

North Dragoria
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby North Dragoria » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:16 pm

This is a great day for France.
Le Penn will make France great (And French) again!

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:16 pm

North Dragoria wrote:This is a great day for France.

:rofl:

More to the point: How?
Last edited by Vassenor on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Shamhnan Insir wrote:It would appear that National Front (FN) have made significant gains in the first regional elections in France, their leader Marine Le Pen having gained more than 40% of the vote in her region and with the party achieving 30% overall in the polls.
LINK:

Whilst President Hollande has received much higher approval ratings for his response to the Paris attacks in November, it hasn't boosted his party who lag behind the FN. The nationalist policies and anti-EU stance of the FN has garnered it much of that support, gaining outright wins across the regions.

What do you think this means for the future of France? Is this a reactionary blip on the political radar screen in response to the horrendous attacks that Paris witnessed last month, or is this a more permanent and ominous swing into far-right territory? If so, do you think we could be seeing another crack beginning in the old heartlands of the EU?

IMO, it's early to say whether or not the FN will continue their rise. Much of the EU, especially France is still on high alert, and their is also still anger. The shit-fest of handling refugees this year wore into the bonds of the EU and have created this sentiment and nationalism. I'd hate to see nationalistic notions born out of spite and aggression gain a stronger foothold in Europe.

It's the response to EU bureaucrats thinking that they know France better than Frenchmen. It has little to do with the attacks, to which Hollande responded really well. But a single response isn't going to make up for years of EU mismanagement.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I won't lie, it is a tad worrying that nationalism has taken the turn it has in France. Nationalism is a double edged sword.

Well, when you consider Jean Marie Le Pen made it to the runoffs during the presidential election in 2002(?), the idea of a nationalist president in France doesn't seem that far fetched.

The problem with France is that it has a substantial Muslim population, most of whom have only lived there for the last 40-50 years. Most immigrants are first or second generation and haven't really been able to integrate into mainstream French society. France's Muslims are also disproportionately affected by poverty and crime, which further hampers their integration efforts as they're widely seen as good for nothing criminals.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Kraylandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kraylandia » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Vassenor wrote:
North Dragoria wrote:This is a great day for France.

Well, she'll do a much better job than that current cunt in power.
You can call me Luci
Jello is my bored buddy!
Lito's NS wife

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Shamhnan Insir wrote:It would appear that National Front (FN) have made significant gains in the first regional elections in France, their leader Marine Le Pen having gained more than 40% of the vote in her region and with the party achieving 30% overall in the polls.
LINK:

It's the response to EU bureaucrats thinking that they know France better than Frenchmen. It has little to do with the attacks, to which Hollande responded really well. But a single response isn't going to make up for years of EU mismanagement.

This is something that has been brewing for at least the past 10-15 years.
Last edited by Nanatsu no Tsuki on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:19 pm

This is a common problem in Europe generally. I think it's completely understandable that we're seeing discontent about how immigration is being handled in Europe transform into support for far-right parties. I'm not convinced that those parties are offering any practical, workable solutions, and that might not even be important for the voters, since I'm sure that for many of them this is just about signalling dissatisfaction.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:19 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Well, when you consider Jean Marie Le Pen made it to the runoffs during the presidential election in 2002(?), the idea of a nationalist president in France doesn't seem that far fetched.

The problem with France is that it has a substantial Muslim population, most of whom have only lived there for the last 40-50 years. Most immigrants are first or second generation and haven't really been able to integrate into mainstream French society. France's Muslims are also disproportionately affected by poverty and crime, which further hampers their integration efforts as they're widely seen as good for nothing criminals.

The nationalism bent doesn't help in the integration department, though. And that is what is worrying.
Slava Ukraini

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:19 pm

Shofercia wrote:It's the response to EU bureaucrats thinking that they know France better than Frenchmen. It has little to do with the attacks, to which Hollande responded really well. But a single response isn't going to make up for years of EU mismanagement.

One of they key things the Front National has been vocal on is immigration and especially what they call the "Islamification" of France. Support for the FN will almost certainly have increased since the attacks in Paris but FN's beef against Muslims has been going on for decades.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:25 pm

Kraylandia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Well, she'll do a much better job than that current cunt in power.

Hollande isn't a cunt. He's just...a nobody. Unlike Sarkozy or Chirac, who have been mired in post-term corruption scandals, Hollande hasn't done anything wrong.

He also really hasn't done anything to fix the French economy, which doesn't really surprise me.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:The nationalism bent doesn't help in the integration department, though. And that is what is worrying.

It's fairly typical of French politics.

The Joseon Dynasty wrote:This is a common problem in Europe generally. I think it's completely understandable that we're seeing discontent about how immigration is being handled in Europe transform into support for far-right parties. I'm not convinced that those parties are offering any practical, workable solutions, and that might not even be important for the voters, since I'm sure that for many of them this is just about signalling dissatisfaction.

It's not just immigration, although many far-right parties do have it as a primary issue. Pretty much all of those like Front National are Euro-skeptic and see the current Eurozone crisis, the recession and the issues with Greece as a clear sign that the EU is doomed to failure or is a failed experiment in European unity.

Which, given how the Eurozone mostly operates under a single currency with each member state operating a different monetary policy, it's kind of easy to see the point they're making.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General