NATION

PASSWORD

[PROPOSAL] Repealing Resolution #10

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The Mid East Federation
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

[PROPOSAL] Repealing Resolution #10

Postby The Mid East Federation » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:48 pm

Proposal Link: http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vie ... 1436334490

Hereby brings the question of the Repeal of General Assembly Res. #10 to order:

AFFIRMS that when the resolution says "that many non member nations are hostile towards WA members," and

FURTHER AFFIRMS that when the resolution says "WA members need to be able to defend themselves if attacked," and

REALIZING that however the deceleration "WA members are allowed to possess nuclear weapons" is overboard, and

ELUCIDATING that not all WA members are good, some may choose a path of violence just as non-WA members do, and this resolution makes the claim that every WA nation is entitled to nuclear weapons despite not knowing any of such nations, and

STATES that not every WA member is capable nor should have nuclear weapons and affirming that every WA member can have them, is subtly indicating that all WA nations are "Bulwarks of Good" and non-WA members as "Evil", and

CONCLUDES that the vagueness and incompetence of Resolution 10 that merely spills out the right to nuclear arms to all members despite whoever they are is harmful, dangerous, and assigning labels not are incorrect, and

HEREBY repeals General Assembly Resolution #10.
The Mid East Federation ~ Unity, Society, and Peace
WA DELEGATE | Embassy | Everything about The Mid East Federation
I am a Centre-Right Globalist
Economic Left/Right: 3.18 - Capitalism w/ Protectionism
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.86 - Strict Justice System but with Civil Rights

PRO: Israel, Bavaria, Zionism, Kurdish Independence, EU, Atlanticism, Ukraine in the EU, Globalism, CDU/CSU, LGBT, Humanistic Judaism, Angela Merkel, David Cameron, and Margaret Thatcher
ANTI: Palestine, Iran, Arab League, Isolationists, Militarists, Communists, Fascists, Extreme Islam, and Turkey in the EU

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:31 pm

OOC: Why even bother posting here since you already submitted? Debate is pointless since nothing can be changed. All this is is pimping your submission.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

The Mid East Federation
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Mid East Federation » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:48 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:OOC: Why even bother posting here since you already submitted? Debate is pointless since nothing can be changed. All this is is pimping your submission.

For Record, for it being in the General Assembly Forums, and a few other things. I don't see the issue.
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.86 - Strict Justice System but with Civil Rights

PRO: Israel, Bavaria, Zionism, Kurdish Independence, EU, Atlanticism, Ukraine in the EU, Globalism, CDU/CSU, LGBT, Humanistic Judaism, Angela Merkel, David Cameron, and Margaret Thatcher
ANTI: Palestine, Iran, Arab League, Isolationists, Militarists, Communists, Fascists, Extreme Islam, and Turkey in the EU

The Defwaen Confederation
Attaché

Founded: Jul 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Defwaen Confederation » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:07 am

The Mid East Federation wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:OOC: Why even bother posting here since you already submitted? Debate is pointless since nothing can be changed. All this is is pimping your submission.

For Record, for it being in the General Assembly Forums, and a few other things. I don't see the issue.

The General Assembly Forum is not for advertising- its for development. The people here offer criticism that will help clean out the glaring flaws in your proposals and help gauge support.

And by god, do you need the help.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:46 am

Ahem. We have reviewed resolution #10 carefully.

If this repeal should be passed, we can see only one outcome. A repeal of this legislation would not ban WA nation states from possessing nuclear weapons, unless it was replaced with other legislation.

A repeal would however, remove this piece of legislation:

3. REQUIRES that any nation choosing to possess nuclear weapons take every available precaution to ensure that their weapons do not fall into the wrong hands.

Therefore you would be removing safeguards on WA member states that ensure that nuclear weapons are not sold or stolen - perhaps to dangerous groups or individuals. Congratulations! Your repeal would make the world a significantly less safe place.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Normlpeople
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:02 am

"So, when the nearest tinpot dictatorship's Dear Leader is insulted and begins lobbing nukes into your nation with the comforting knowledge that the WA bastion of peace doesn't have any to respond with, what will you do? I suspect, when you are slaving in his factories or mines, you will have plenty of time to think about it.

Our policy of MAD works. We will keep our nuclear weapons, at least until our supply of our new compressed magic bombs is enough to render then obsolete. I will not be the first ambassador to tell you this, if you want to take our nukes, we will deliver them to you, warhead end first."
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

Gogol Transcendancy
Envoy

Founded: Jun 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gogol Transcendancy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:06 am

Oh look, another person is trying to repeal the NAPA. Is it Tuesday already?

Type 6.7 Civilization

About me:
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.74
Pro: Social Democracy, Free Trade, Agnosticism, reasonable atheism/theism, nuclear power, social freedom, space exploration
Against: Libertarianism, tankie communism, extreme nationalism/alt-right, climate change denial, scientism

Percussionland
Envoy

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Percussionland » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:06 am

I have tried repealing this resolution before, and what I learned after wasting a considerable amount of time was that this will never happen, and it shouldn't. To repeal this is to open a window for a blanket ban on nuclear weapons, which is unfair to and violating the rights of the nations you deem "good." This is not a black and white issue that can be explained as "good" and "bad." Any WMD used by any nation in self defense is in the grey, and the right to use nuclear weapons in self defense must be preserved. The best you can hope for is a resolution to restrict the use of nuclear weapons so that they can only be used in self defense with minimal civilian casualties. Striking out the most powerful legislation on the topic that maintains they may only be used in self defense is both a recipe for disaster and going backwards based on the beliefs your proposal outlined. You should add to the legislation, not tear it down. On a purely proposal writing note, please check your grammar and spelling before submitting a proposal, bad spelling and grammar will not get voted into law. Also, just a reminder, when repealing a resolution, make statements why the resolution should be repealed that are grounded in fact, free from statements of personal opinion, labeling WA nations, and make better arguments then a resolution is "overboard." In conclusion, if by some fluke this comes to vote and passes, I will be the first one writing a new proposal to protect and affirm the right of member nations to bear nuclear arms in self defense.
-From the Desk of Keith Starr, Percussionland Ambassador To the World Assembly

Percussionland President: Ringo Bonham
Vice President: Ronnie Watts
Chairman of The Senate: John Moon
Chairman of The Armed Forces: Charlie Wood

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:07 am

"Many have tried this before you. Every last one of them has failed."
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:45 am

Better authors than you have tried to repeal the NAPA. They've all failed, most without even reaching quorum. But what the hell, I've got a few minutes, let's rip your arguments to shreds.

The Mid East Federation wrote:Hereby brings the question of the Repeal of General Assembly Res. #10 to order:
Unnecessary drivel.

The Mid East Federation wrote:AFFIRMS that when the resolution says "that many non member nations are hostile towards WA members," and

FURTHER AFFIRMS that when the resolution says "WA members need to be able to defend themselves if attacked," and
Sure, leave out the fact that there's more non-members than there are members.

The Mid East Federation wrote:REALIZING that however the deceleration "WA members are allowed to possess nuclear weapons" is overboard, and
Wait, the "deceleration is overboard?" I think you've got some typos there.

The Mid East Federation wrote:ELUCIDATING that not all WA members are good, some may choose a path of violence just as non-WA members do, and this resolution makes the claim that every WA nation is entitled to nuclear weapons despite not knowing any of such nations, and
Completely true and completely irrelevent as even without the NAPA those nations could still be violent and could still have and use nuclear weapons.

The Mid East Federation wrote:STATES that not every WA member is capable nor should have nuclear weapons and affirming that every WA member can have them, is subtly indicating that all WA nations are "Bulwarks of Good" and non-WA members as "Evil", and
You're reading more into the NAPA than is actually in there. Furthermore, those nations that aren't capable of having nuclear weapons, probably aren't going to have them. Which is within the rights granted to them by the NAPA. :o

The Mid East Federation wrote:CONCLUDES that the vagueness and incompetence of Resolution 10 that merely spills out the right to nuclear arms to all members despite whoever they are is harmful, dangerous, and assigning labels not are incorrect, and
The NAPA assigns no labels, the only one trying to assign labels around here, is you. As for your claims of my incompetence, I'll let my record speak for itself. I've been writing resolutions longer than your nation has even existed. In that time I've written three resolutions and the only time one of them was "repealed" was when the UN was forced to fold.

The Mid East Federation wrote:HEREBY repeals General Assembly Resolution #10.[/box]
Boilerplate.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Sainterre
Attaché

Founded: Apr 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sainterre » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:37 am

As I said before, you are not the first, nor the last to try to repeal this. It will not pass much less make it to quorum. It would be better to focus your energies on something else.
Jacob F. Ridgeway, KCOM
Permanent Representative of the United Republic of Sainterre to the World Assembly
SCR#178-Commend Sciongrad

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:37 am

We would strongly support a repeal of this resolution if the author of the original agreed to immediately resubmit it. Perhaps if it wasn't in the first page of passed resolutions, there would be far fewer repeal attempts.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:13 am

Bananaistan wrote:We would strongly support a repeal of this resolution if the author of the original agreed to immediately resubmit it. Perhaps if it wasn't in the first page of passed resolutions, there would be far fewer repeal attempts.

"Somehow I seriously doubt it...too many peaceniks."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:13 pm

Bananaistan wrote:We would strongly support a repeal of this resolution if the author of the original agreed to immediately resubmit it. Perhaps if it wasn't in the first page of passed resolutions, there would be far fewer repeal attempts.

Trust me, I already have a replacement written and ready to submit. Although it should be noted that it's already not on the first page of resolutions, it's on the second.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:40 pm

Flibbleites wrote:

Trust me, I already have a replacement written and ready to submit. Although it should be noted that it's already not on the first page of resolutions, it's on the second.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Also, since the mere presence of the word "nuclear" appears to be a trigger for the no-n00kz crowd, any replacement must be named "Happy Organic Puppies For The Children".

Not Ta'veren

Ehrereich
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Ehrereich » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:59 pm

James Monroe Brown, the ambassador for the Northern Confederated States of Ehrereich simply shook his head and sighed. Why President Ward had agreed to finally enter the World Assembly was beyond him. He did, however, have a clear set of instructions on matters such as this. He sighed, cleared his throat, and spoke into the microphone. "While the Northern Confederated States are new to this august body, we have been around for some time. What we have to say on the matter is this. Any attempts to repeal this piece of legislation will be met with vehement ridicule and scorn. Possibly including insults against your personhood and lineage, depending on how cheeky we may be feeling at the time. To suggest repealing this act would open the door for nuclear proliferation outside of the borders of this body, and do nothing to further your aims. Which, if your aims are disarmament, we already conclude that you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed, to begin with. That said, we vigorously suggest that nobody support this matter, and further propose that we stand up as a body, and point and laugh at the representatives from the Mid East Federation. Loudly."

The Mid East Federation
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Mid East Federation » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:22 pm

Flibbleites wrote:Better authors than you have tried to repeal the NAPA. They've all failed, most without even reaching quorum. But what the hell, I've got a few minutes, let's rip your arguments to shreds.

The Mid East Federation wrote:Hereby brings the question of the Repeal of General Assembly Res. #10 to order:
Unnecessary drivel.

The Mid East Federation wrote:AFFIRMS that when the resolution says "that many non member nations are hostile towards WA members," and

The Mid East Federation wrote:REALIZING that however the deceleration "WA members are allowed to possess nuclear weapons" is overboard, and

The Mid East Federation wrote:ELUCIDATING that not all WA members are good, some may choose a path of violence just as non-WA members do, and this resolution makes the claim that every WA nation is entitled to nuclear weapons despite not knowing any of such nations, and
Completely true and completely irrelevent as even without the NAPA those nations could still be violent and could still have and use nuclear weapons.

The Mid East Federation wrote:STATES that not every WA member is capable nor should have nuclear weapons and affirming that every WA member can have them, is subtly indicating that all WA nations are "Bulwarks of Good" and non-WA members as "Evil", and
You're reading more into the NAPA than is actually in there. Furthermore, those nations that aren't capable of having nuclear weapons, probably aren't going to have them. Which is within the rights granted to them by the NAPA. :o

The Mid East Federation wrote:CONCLUDES that the vagueness and incompetence of Resolution 10 that merely spills out the right to nuclear arms to all members despite whoever they are is harmful, dangerous, and assigning labels not are incorrect, and
The NAPA assigns no labels, the only one trying to assign labels around here, is you. As for your claims of my incompetence, I'll let my record speak for itself. I've been writing resolutions longer than your nation has even existed. In that time I've written three resolutions and the only time one of them was "repealed" was when the UN was forced to fold.

The Mid East Federation wrote:HEREBY repeals General Assembly Resolution #10.[/box]
Boilerplate.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Good opinions, not a good argument. Not the best moderator I have seen.

The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:41 pm

Flibbleites wrote:Better authors than you have tried to repeal the NAPA. They've all failed, most without even reaching quorum. But what the hell, I've got a few minutes, let's rip your arguments to shreds.

Unnecessary drivel.

Boilerplate.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

What does Flibbleites being a mod have to do with sweet fuck-all?
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:12 pm

The Two Jerseys wrote:

What does Flibbleites being a mod have to do with sweet fuck-all?

Because he blew gaping holes in every bit of this repeal try. Duh.

Not Ta'veren

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:45 pm

Unnecessary drivel.

Boilerplate.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Ooc: Flib is obviously responding as a player, and not a mod. Instead of critiquing the veterans for not conforming to your special vision of what is right, maybe try to actually learn how things are done around here? It saves you from embarrassing faux pas like this.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:20 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
The Two Jerseys wrote:What does Flibbleites being a mod have to do with sweet fuck-all?

Because he blew gaping holes in every bit of this repeal try. Duh.

Never seen anyone resort to playa hatin' just because their proposal got torn apart though.
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

Three Weasels
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Three Weasels » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:15 am

The Mid East Federation wrote:Proposal Link: http://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vie ... 1436334490

Oh look! It was submitted before we had a chance to rightfully rip it to shreds. If the ambassador was truly confident in his/her proposed legislation, they'd have submitted here for critique before ever posting to the queue. Alas, that is not the case.

AFFIRMS that when the resolution says "that many non member nations are hostile towards WA members," and

REALIZING that however the deceleration "WA members are allowed to possess nuclear weapons" is overboard, and

What the...? Oh for the love of the meadow keeper, these aren't even complete sentences! We know it's acceptable to have slightly fragmented syntax in the preamble but this is just ridiculous. What is this even trying to say? Pray tell, ambassador, did you happen to have one too many at the bar before penning this?

Yes, not all member nations are "good", though "good" is wholly subjective. The plus side is NAPA doesn't compel a nation such as ours to have stockpiles of nuclear warheads/weapons.

Uhm... what? So, not all are capable of having nor should but they can have? This sentence would have been so much better if it was shortened significantly. The longer it goes the less sense it makes.

HEREBY repeals General Assembly Resolution #10.

The only vagueness is your proposed repeal.
We're a splinter nation; we believe in Meadowism. We're sapient Mustela Itatsi, distant cousins of the Mustela Erminea and the Mustela Nivalis who shunned the ways of the Meadow for their belligerent beliefs.

We're cheese-powered. So, surrender your cheese. Or else. Yeah... or else. We'll... uh... we'll do something.

Oh and meadows are totally awesome. We love meadows.

Blaccakre
Attaché

Founded: Apr 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Blaccakre » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:10 pm

The Mid East Federation wrote:ELUCIDATING that not all WA members are good, some may choose a path of violence just as non-WA members do,

How DARE you, sir (madam?). Just because Blaccakre is a non-member nation, that doesn't mean we have chosen a path of violence! I have just received word that due to this slander, our High Court has decreed that any Mid East Federation citizens presently in Blaccakre, or within arms reach of any Blaccakre citizen living abroad, is hereby sentenced to have their tongue removed with a pair of dirty spoons!

Perhaps in the future you will be more cautious before blasphemously and scandalously and libelously accusing us of pursuing a path of violence!
The Glorious, Unparalleled, Doubleplusgood Kingdom of Blaccakre
"There is no justice, only the Law."

Any effort by World Assembly Census experts to label our glorious nation as "corrupt," or to claim that we have "short average lifespans" and "ignorant citizens," shall be treated as belligerent propaganda and will result in severe reprisal.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:20 pm

We are outraged. Is anyone actually trying to save the deceleration that's gone overboard? There are foul-mouthed dolphins out there; it might acquire a very non-diplomatic vocabulary! Won't somebody please think of the deceleration?!?

Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:23 pm

Unnecessary drivel.

Boilerplate.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Good opinions, not a good argument.
It's a better argument that you have for the repeal.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

The Mid East Federation wrote:Not the best moderator I have seen.

OOC: Mods are players too and that post was made as a player in character, not as a mod. That's why the last two lines of the post are my character's name and title.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly