NATION

PASSWORD

[Discussion] Punishment for DoS Shielders

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Aksun
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

[Discussion] Punishment for DoS Shielders

Postby Aksun » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:54 pm

The Archregimancy wrote:The below announcement was posted in TET [the Eternal Thread] in General.

Bralia pointed out that it might be useful to post it here in Moderation as well just in case it was missed by the parties involved in TET.

If you are in contact with any of the three nations involved, do please feel free to let them know that their deletions have been retracted on appeal.

This is not a discussion thread. Please do not post in this thread to comment on the below announcement - it's been posted here primarily to try and increase the chances that the nations involved are aware of the retractions of the deletions.

If you want to start a discussion on moderation policy on potential action against individuals shielding the identity of a DOS player - something currently under discussion by the moderation team - please start a separate discussion thread.

The Archregimancy wrote:

Kannap, Hladgos, and Liberonscien have been restored following a formal appeal.

If you are in touch with the three individuals concerned, I would be grateful if you could let them know (there's little point in TG'ing them since they wouldn't necessarily know their nations have been reactivated).

Note that these restorations shouldn't be taken as in any way condoning the shielding the identity of a DOS player; we take such cases very seriously indeed, and are currently closely studying whether to make knowingly shielding a DOS player's identity an actionable deletion-worthy offence formally listed as such in the site's OSRS.

However, we accept that site policy on this issue hasn't previously been clear, and given the lack of clarity we have decided to grant the appeal.

After reading that long quote I believe that shielding a DoS user should NOT be a deletion worthy offense. The people who do it should get one chance. The second time warrants deletion, but not the first. I say this, because on the forum side people are usually warned first, then banned, then deleted it DoSed. There is a step by step process and it gives time for someone to change their behavior. The first warning before deletion gives that person a chance to go "oh crap maybe I shouldn't do this."

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:20 pm

It seems to me that there are different levels of shielding DoS users.

Active participation in rulebreaking with a DoS should, I think, result in a DEAT.

For actively attempting to hide the identity of a DoS with a new nation, a 7 day ban seems like a reasonable standard. It's a serious offense, but the first time, I don't think it warrants deletion.

If it's simply a matter of a telegram informing a user "Hey, I'm your old DoS friend!" and no action is taken, it should still be warnable, or perhaps warrant a one day ban.

These are simply the suggestions of a fairly experienced user trying to be helpful. I realize it's always a case by case basis, but as a typical standard, this seems fair to me.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:40 pm

This has far too much potential for unknowing users to be caught up.

Purely from a self-protecting standpoint, I host a network of proxy servers, so if their's a DoS nation still using NS, their's a good chance I'm unknowingly shielding them. However, since I don't keep logs (and don't plan on doing, ever), I wouldn't know. Where would the line be drawn?
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:43 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:This has far too much potential for unknowing users to be caught up.

Purely from a self-protecting standpoint, I host a network of proxy servers, so if their's a DoS nation still using NS, their's a good chance I'm unknowingly shielding them. However, since I don't keep logs (and don't plan on doing, ever), I wouldn't know. Where would the line be drawn?

It all depends on if you knew someone was.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:45 pm

Lockdownn wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:This has far too much potential for unknowing users to be caught up.

It all depends on if you knew someone was.

No, the only way I'd know would be to take logs, which I won't be doing for privacy reasons. However, is not taking logs shielding a DoS?
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:46 pm

They've already made it clear that they take this very seriously, and want to get this right. I'm sure that unknowingly debating/RPing with a DoS is not actionable.
It's a fair point though. If there is not some very damning evidence (which admittedly, DLN says they have in the case of Kannap, Hladgos, and Liberonscien) there should be no action taken. It's too big an offense to pin on someone without very convincing proof.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:49 pm

Idzequitch wrote:

They've already made it clear that they take this very seriously, and want to get this right. I'm sure that unknowingly debating/RPing with a DoS is not actionable.
It's a fair point though. If there is not some very damning evidence (which admittedly, DLN says they have in the case of Kannap, Hladgos, and Liberonscien) there should be no action taken. It's too big an offense to pin on someone without very convincing proof.

That's not what I'm saying.

If a DoS user uses my proxy servers, they have an encrypted link to the internet, bounced through 2 random locations. That would, therefore, make it far more difficult for NS staff to see who they were. Is the fact that I've made this available to anyone mean that I'm shielding DoS users if they use my service?

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:51 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:They've already made it clear that they take this very seriously, and want to get this right. I'm sure that unknowingly debating/RPing with a DoS is not actionable.

If a DoS user uses my proxy servers, they have an encrypted link to the internet, bounced through 2 random locations. That would, therefore, make it far more difficult for NS staff to see who they were. Is the fact that I've made this available to anyone mean that I'm shielding DoS users if they use my service?

I think (Mod confirmation needed) that shielding a DoS would be impossible without knowing the player is DoS.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Aksun
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aksun » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:56 pm

Idzequitch wrote:They've already made it clear that they take this very seriously, and want to get this right. I'm sure that unknowingly debating/RPing with a DoS is not actionable.

I believe that is what we are here to discuss. We are discussing whether or not someone should be punished for shielding and to what extent based on person x's participation in shielding the user. I for one believe that you shouldn't be punished for something like that. With a service you accept risks, but you don't know who uses your service.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:That's not what I'm saying.

I think (Mod confirmation needed) that shielding a DoS would be impossible without knowing the player is DoS.

Even if they send me a message, for example saying 'Hey, I'm (insert nation here), and I'm DoS and using your (insert whichever server here)' it would be against my own terms of service to openly say to the mods that this person is DoS. I've not had this sort of message before, but It's something that concerned me a while ago and continues to concern me.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:58 pm

Aksun wrote:

I believe that is what we are here to discuss. We are discussing whether or not someone should be punished for shielding and to what extent based on person x's participation in shielding the user. I for one believe that you shouldn't be punished for something like that. With a service you accept risks, but you don't know who uses your service.

I think a person should only be punished for this if they take part in rulebreaking alongside the DoS.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:00 pm

If you don't know that there is a DOS, then no. There's been cases where people unknowingly converse with DOS's or interact with them and they weren't touched.

Like myself, literally two days before being deated, I telegrammed him because of his sig. I'm still here, still haunts me though.....

.-.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:01 pm

Idzequitch wrote:I think (Mod confirmation needed) that shielding a DoS would be impossible without knowing the player is DoS.

Even if they send me a message, for example saying 'Hey, I'm (insert nation here), and I'm DoS and using your (insert whichever server here)' it would be against my own terms of service to openly say to the mods that this person is DoS. I've not had this sort of message before, but It's something that concerned me a while ago and continues to concern me.

You'd still have an obligation to inform NS staff, or risk punishment.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:02 pm

Aksun wrote:

I think a person should only be punished for this if they take part in rulebreaking alongside the DoS.

But the DoS user is rulebreaking just by being here. If a user actively tries to hide the DoS's identity, then he/she is actively helping them break the rules.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:04 pm

Lockdownn wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Even if they send me a message, for example saying 'Hey, I'm (insert nation here), and I'm DoS and using your (insert whichever server here)' it would be against my own terms of service to openly say to the mods that this person is DoS. I've not had this sort of message before, but It's something that concerned me a while ago and continues to concern me.

You'd still have an obligation to inform NS staff, or risk punishment.

Even if doing so would break a legally binding contract?

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:10 pm

Lockdownn wrote:You'd still have an obligation to inform NS staff, or risk punishment.

Either that or risk being punished here. I don't know. You could find a loophole or something. Like "accidentally" sending a screen shot through GHR.

[edit] Though, don't take my word for it.
Last edited by Lockdownn on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:10 pm

Lockdownn wrote:

If you don't know that there is a DOS, then no. There's been cases where people unknowingly converse with DOS's or interact with them and they weren't touched.

Like myself, literally two days before being deated, I telegrammed him because of his sig. I'm still here, still haunts me though.....

.-.

This is one of the concerns. Since we(mods) do not make public everyone who is DOS, it makes it hard to say "X was shielding a DOS" when X perhaps did not even know that they were conversing with a DOS player.

So, and this is a more personal take, it boils down to:

1. Does the player know that they're playing with a DOS
2. Are they helping out the DOS with circumventing their DOS,
3. or engaging in rulebreaking together with the DOS?

If the first question is 'yes' and question #2 and/or #3 is also answered with yes, then I believe further punitive action against the player is warranted.

^^^ above is personal opinion/musings and not an official moderator stance.
The Blaatschapen should resign

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:12 pm

Lockdownn wrote:You'd still have an obligation to inform NS staff, or risk punishment.

Just a quick note, your proxies are a special case. Let's not threadjack this thread into that particular case, but rather keep this thread for the generic user that communicates with a DOS and the policies that should be applied to that.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:16 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Even if doing so would break a legally binding contract?

Just a quick note, your proxies are a special case. Let's not threadjack this thread into that particular case, but rather keep this thread for the generic user that communicates with a DOS and the policies that should be applied to that.

OK; could I get an answer on this case off thread please?

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:18 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Lockdownn wrote:If you don't know that there is a DOS, then no. There's been cases where people unknowingly converse with DOS's or interact with them and they weren't touched.

.-.

This is one of the concerns. Since we(mods) do not make public everyone who is DOS, it makes it hard to say "X was shielding a DOS" when X perhaps did not even know that they were conversing with a DOS player.

If the first question is 'yes' and question #2 and/or #3 is also answered with yes, then I believe further punitive action against the player is warranted.

I only think it should be punishable if they're engaging in rulebreaking. Anything else would make things like puppet sharing even more risky than they need to be.

Lockdownn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lockdownn » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:20 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:

I only think it should be punishable if they're engaging in rulebreaking. Anything else would make things like puppet sharing even more risky than they need to be.

If they're knowingly conversing with DOS's then it should be punishable.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:20 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:

OK; could I get an answer on this case off thread please?

File a GHR. It will take a while to answer. It also depends on the outcomes of this discussion I'd wager :p

Please be exhaustive in the GHR, what kind of proxies, etc. Basically anything you can think of that is relevant and that you can freely tell us without breaking your other obligations.

I'll repeat though, this might take a bit of time. Don't expect an answer tomorrow :p
Last edited by The Blaatschapen on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:26 pm

Lockdownn wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I only think it should be punishable if they're engaging in rulebreaking. Anything else would make things like puppet sharing even more risky than they need to be.

If they're knowingly conversing with DOS's then it should be punishable.

Why? If they're not doing anything wrong, punish the DOS, you don't need to punish his friends.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Lockdownn wrote:If they're knowingly conversing with DOS's then it should be punishable.

Why? If they're not doing anything wrong, punish the DOS, you don't need to punish his friends.

Idzequitch wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I think a person should only be punished for this if they take part in rulebreaking alongside the DoS.

But the DoS user is rulebreaking just by being here. If a user actively tries to hide the DoS's identity, then he/she is actively helping them break the rules.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:32 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Why? If they're not doing anything wrong, punish the DOS, you don't need to punish his friends.

Idzequitch wrote:But the DoS user is rulebreaking just by being here. If a user actively tries to hide the DoS's identity, then he/she is actively helping them break the rules.

Do the rules actually apply to a DoS user?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Moderation