NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Racism Destroys The Country

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Racism Destroys The Country

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Fri May 22, 2015 10:25 am

This is based off the Ferguson thing.

After the tenth Bigtopian was killed in a violent confrontation with a @@DEMONYM@@ police officer who was judged not guilty, the whole Bigtopian community started to riot in an uproar.

validity: ?

[option]"This is a tradgedy @@LEADER@@!" screams police commissioner @@RANDOMNAME@@ while tasing an enraged rioter who got into your office, "This would never have happened in the first place if we had tighter regulations on public gatherings. I say we need to triple the amount of police officers and train them to use tasers instead of gun in apprehensions. We need this at all costs so... look out!"
[effect]the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ police force has grown to triple its size to stop riots.

[option]"This is all the police force's fault!" screams an anger rioter after nearly hitting you with a stapler and a chair. "Police are to blame! They don't care about the Bigtopian minority in @@NAME@@. They look at Bigtopians and automatically assume that they are criminals and need to be taken down. Ban the police force so this racism will never happen again!"
[effect]crime has reached astronomical levels overnight.

[option]"That's not going far enough," says @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, who just so happens to be the mother of the victim. "Racism in general has caused this problem. If racism was completely banned in @@NAME@@, then we can live in peace. Those that want to violate the nature of one's ethnicity should be publicly executed for high treason."
[effect]the slip of the tongue in @@NAME@@ results in execution.

[option]"I wouldn't go that far," states Sergeant @@RANDOMNAME@@ while evading flaming bags of poo. "This could all be handled easily if we just make it mandatory for all police officers to wear body cameras. That way we can see exactly what they are doing and handle the situation appropriately by examining the evidence. It is going to cost a truckload of @@CURRENCY@@s to make it happen, but at least then we can avoid these riots."
[effect]'The Life of a Police Officer' is the most watched documentary in @@NAME@@.

what do you all think? Not sure for the validity though.
Last edited by Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf on Mon May 25, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

I support insanely high tax rates, do you?
This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
☻/This is Bob, copy& paste him in
/▌ your sig so Bob can take over the
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
3 - Moderatly Problematic War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Fri May 22, 2015 10:38 am

This issue is about "racism", but none of the options have anything to do with racism in the police force. An issue about body cameras is a great idea I've wanted to see in the game for a while, but it has little to do with racism. Do you want to write an issue about police use of excessive force, or do you actually want to reflect arguments about institutional racism?

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Fri May 22, 2015 10:45 am

Golgothastan wrote:This issue is about "racism", but none of the options have anything to do with racism in the police force. An issue about body cameras is a great idea I've wanted to see in the game for a while, but it has little to do with racism. Do you want to write an issue about police use of excessive force, or do you actually want to reflect arguments about institutional racism?

It was meant to be about excessive force, will change.

This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Fri May 22, 2015 10:52 am

Well, I think that's a shame in a way. We already have an issue about excessive force - the knitting one - whereas we don't have any dealing with systemic racism in the police (yet).

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri May 22, 2015 11:56 am

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf wrote: African-@@DEMONYN@@

Ugh. I've always hated that namby-pamby substitute for "Black". My "African-American" neighbors have never set foot in Africa. Neither have any of their ancestors going back probably 8-10 generations. They simply have darker skins, and are treated differently because of it. My friend married a white South African who's about as Aryan as they come - pale, blond, and blue-eyed. He's a genuine African American now that he's become a US citizen, but he can't call himself that. Stupid phrase.

Make something up. If you have to, raid the Star Trek archives and do a silly-ass racist thing like the half-black, half white guys who were better only if they were right-side-white.

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Fri May 22, 2015 12:08 pm

Just use "Bigtopian", that's the race that NS has previously used for issues based on race issues, such as busing.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Fri May 22, 2015 12:25 pm

Golgothastan wrote:Just use "Bigtopian", that's the race that NS has previously used for issues based on race issues, such as busing.

changed and like I said, this issue was meant to be about the whole race riots going on in America, so in a way it is about excessive force and racism.

This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Fri May 22, 2015 1:16 pm

''Tragedy '' misspelt.

A 'white police officer' should probably be a '@@DENONYM@@ officer'. What if the nation is role-playing as an african country?
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri May 22, 2015 2:14 pm

I like how people are fighting throughout the options. Not the first time it happened (Too Low On Laws, Say Citizens is a memorable one), but it's not something we can't use again.

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf wrote:After the tenth Bigtopian was killed in a violent confrontation with a white police officer who was proven not guilty, the whole Bigtopian community started to riot in an uproar.
NationStates usually uses fictional ethnicities like Bigtopians to avoid explicitly discriminating between real-life ethnic groups. It seems weird and counterproductive to use "Bigtopian" for the minority but still use the real-life "white" for the majority.

Plus, what if you've been roleplaying your nation's majority as non-white? (Granted, South Africa shows that it's possible for blacks to be disadvantaged even in a majority-black nation, but still.)

Furthermore, it would be implying that Bigtopians aren't white, which I don't think has been established either way before. (Europeans have engaged in plenty of racism against other Europeans.)

On a lesser note, you might want to replace "proven" with "judged" or something - just that the legal system says something doesn't mean it is so, and people disagreeing with the official verdict is kind of the point here :)

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf wrote:[option]"This is all the police forces' fault!"
Singular or plural? Police forces could be plural (referring to the police forces of every city in the nation as distinct organizations), but I think you probably meant a singular here, in which case it should be "police force's".

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf wrote:sergeant @@RANDOMNAME@@
When used as a title, "Sergeant" should be capitalized.

Golgothastan wrote:This issue is about "racism", but none of the options have anything to do with racism in the police force. An issue about body cameras is a great idea I've wanted to see in the game for a while, but it has little to do with racism. Do you want to write an issue about police use of excessive force, or do you actually want to reflect arguments about institutional racism?
Err, yeah. Good catch.

Police use of excessive force is already a topic of Protesters Have Gone Too Far, Claim Police and Knitters In A Knot Over Police Stitch Up, so what do you plan to focus on to distinguish yourself from those two?

Frisbeeteria wrote:Ugh. I've always hated that namby-pamby substitute for "Black". My "African-American" neighbors have never set foot in Africa.
I do think there's a point to the term to distinguish them from other ethnicities that also have dark skin, but then I also feel people should use the term European-American more often when referring to the nation's current majority demographic ;)

And don't ever use African-American to describe someone who doesn't live in America.

Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf wrote:changed and like I said, this issue was meant to be about the whole race riots going on in America, so in a way it is about excessive force and racism.
Then you should probably add elements to make the racism part more prominent.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eaischpnaeieacgkque Bhcieaghpodsttditf » Mon May 25, 2015 12:37 pm

well I took your comments to heart and made changes to make it more racially correct and even added another option explicitly dealing with racism. I would still like to know a validity though.

This is Bunny:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
/ \ world
10 - Completly Peaceful.
9 - Peaceful.
8 - Mostly Peaceful.
7 - Small Scale Crime.
6 - Major Crime.
5 - Terrorist Acts.
4 - Small Scale War.
2 - Full-Scale Conflict.
1 - Nuclear War.
0 - Apocalypse.

Recuecn
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Recuecn » Tue May 26, 2015 8:48 am

The one thing that jumps out to me is that while the first three options all have obvious disadvantages, the last seems not to. It looks like the "correct" answer.

Having to pay "a truckload of @@CURRENCY@@s seems to be a crutch that is used in many issues when no one can think of any disadvantage other than cost, and having seen it so many times, it's lost its impact, at least for me. (Plus, with a virtual country, I know I personally pay almost no attention to my budget.)

While I'm not sure I speak for anyone but myself in the above paragraph, I would suggest including some other concerns. Perhaps because I would support that IRL, I am blinded to the disadvantages in that option, but it seems a far cry from the other extremes---tripling the police force, getting rid of it, or executing people for slips of the tongue. One thing that comes to mind that you could add would be to mention privacy concerns/the big brother factor.

As for validity, I'm not exactly sure, but at least they'd have to have a police force, and probably one that's equipped with guns, seeing option 1.
rəswɛsən

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?