NATION

PASSWORD

Will the US become bilingual?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Glorious KASSRD
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Will the US become bilingual?

Postby Glorious KASSRD » Sat May 02, 2015 4:01 pm

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2 ... ual-nation
http://usgovinfo.about.com/cs/censussta ... gnlang.htm

Every year, hundreds of thousands of Spanish speaking immigrants enter the US, adding to the tens of millions of Spanish speakers currently living in America. The rate shows no sign of stopping, and the immigrant birthrate is higher than that of English speaking Americans. All of this adds up to a large and growing Spanish minority in the USA.
My question to Nationstates is, what is the future of the USA in the matter of being bilingual? Will the US become bilingual in English and Spanish, or will the Spanish speaking population die out? Is there any chance of a language other than English and Spanish becoming significant in the USA? And if the US becomes bilingual, how soon? Finally, would bilingualism/multilingualism be good or bad for the US?
I think that the US will eventually become bilingual in English and Spanish, although Spanish will not reach the same level as English. Other than areas like Louisiana and Navaja Nation, I think it is unlikely another language will be of great domestic importance. I think bilingualism will be good, and happen sometime within the next half century.
Last edited by Glorious KASSRD on Sat May 02, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat May 02, 2015 4:04 pm

The United States has no official language as a whole, so technically, it is not even officially monolingual on the federal level (they tried to make it bilingual in the 1790s IIRC, but with English and German). Thus, the whole point is moot.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Sat May 02, 2015 4:06 pm

Isn't it already? We don't even have an official language and Spanish is so commonly taught you'd think it'd count by now.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Sat May 02, 2015 4:06 pm

Luziyca wrote:The United States has no official language as a whole, so technically, it is not even officially monolingual on the federal level (they tried to make it bilingual in the 1790s IIRC, but with English and German). Thus, the whole point is moot.

It could become bilingual in the sense that Spanish becomes mandatory in schools, for example
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

GreatLitva
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby GreatLitva » Sat May 02, 2015 4:11 pm

Glorious KASSRD wrote:http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-05-13/americans-already-live-in-a-bilingual-nation
http://usgovinfo.about.com/cs/censussta ... gnlang.htm

Every year, hundreds of thousands of Spanish speaking immigrants enter the US, adding to the tens of millions of Spanish speakers currently living in America. The rate shows no sign of stopping, and the immigrant birthrate is higher than that of English speaking Americans. All of this adds up to a large and growing Spanish minority in the USA.
My question to Nationstates is, what is the future of the USA in the matter of being bilingual? Will the US become bilingual in English and Spanish, or will the Spanish speaking population die out? Is there any chance of a language other than English and Spanish becoming significant in the USA? And if the US becomes bilingual, how soon? Finally, would bilingualism/multilingualism be good or bad for the US?

Louisiana ´d have French as the state language for sure http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_French

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat May 02, 2015 4:31 pm

I don't see any reason to think they won't learn English and assimilate.

Some areas of the US have always had more of a Spanish influence than others, and there might be areas where Spanish sticks around for a long time, same as German and French and Chinese have stuck around in some places -- but I don't think Spanish is ever going to be as widely spoken or as important as English.

Immigration and multilingualism is nothing new. In the American Civil War, there were whole units made up of European immigrants that didn't necessarily know English, especially Germans. Because of the decentralized way troops were recruited, it wasn't that hard for immigrants to go through their community recruiting others of the same nationality, and as long as they had a commanding officer that knew English enough to communicate with the people higher up, the ordinary soldiers didn't need to speak English.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat May 02, 2015 4:40 pm

Jute wrote:
Luziyca wrote:The United States has no official language as a whole, so technically, it is not even officially monolingual on the federal level (they tried to make it bilingual in the 1790s IIRC, but with English and German). Thus, the whole point is moot.

It could become bilingual in the sense that Spanish becomes mandatory in schools, for example

In New England, that would be moronic. There is a border with Quebec, and making Spanish mandatory takes away from time that people could be using to learn other foreign languages.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sat May 02, 2015 5:06 pm

Depends on where. The southwest will probably become totally bilingual in the near future, and arguably is already bilingual.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Sat May 02, 2015 5:29 pm

You mean America will finally learn English than their creolish English?

It's likely that America will still remain monolingual (American English), I doubt Americans will be willing to learn a 2nd language.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat May 02, 2015 6:00 pm

The Conez Imperium wrote:You mean America will finally learn English than their creolish English?

It's likely that America will still remain monolingual (American English), I doubt Americans will be willing to learn a 2nd language.

Even for those of us who do like languages, there's no reason that everyone's 2nd language should be the same one. We already have English as a common language to communicate with other Americans, so we don't need a 2nd language for that. The purpose of learning a 2nd language would be to do international business, for immigrants to preserve a part of their ethnic identity, or to explore another culture. International business and immigrants don't all come from the same place and not everyone is curious about the same foreign cultures, so there is no reason why everyone should learn the same language.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat May 02, 2015 6:03 pm

Give it a few generations, similar thing happened to the Germans in Pennsylvania. You cannot go through an American education system and not learn English in the process or as a mandate.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Kiribati-Tarawa
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiribati-Tarawa » Sat May 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:I don't see any reason to think they won't learn English and assimilate.

Some areas of the US have always had more of a Spanish influence than others, and there might be areas where Spanish sticks around for a long time, same as German and French and Chinese have stuck around in some places -- but I don't think Spanish is ever going to be as widely spoken or as important as English.

Immigration and multilingualism is nothing new. In the American Civil War, there were whole units made up of European immigrants that didn't necessarily know English, especially Germans. Because of the decentralized way troops were recruited, it wasn't that hard for immigrants to go through their community recruiting others of the same nationality, and as long as they had a commanding officer that knew English enough to communicate with the people higher up, the ordinary soldiers didn't need to speak English.

I hate to agree with "Nazi Flower Power," but I'm afraid I must in this case. The children of immigrants will almost always assimilate into their new country, culture, and language, whether it's the US or Bangladesh. It's simply the natural way things happen.
From the desk of:
Ambassador Sir Thomas Chapman, CD, KG
His Majesty's Ambassador to the WA for Kiribati-Tarawa
Office # 22, Floor 5 of the General Assembly building

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat May 02, 2015 6:06 pm

Kiribati-Tarawa wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:I don't see any reason to think they won't learn English and assimilate.

I hate to agree with "Nazi Flower Power," but I'm afraid I must in this case. The children of immigrants will almost always assimilate into their new country, culture, and language, whether it's the US or Bangladesh. It's simply the natural way things happen.

You have a problem with flower power? :blink:

Kiribati-Tarawa
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiribati-Tarawa » Sat May 02, 2015 7:15 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Kiribati-Tarawa wrote:I hate to agree with "Nazi Flower Power," but I'm afraid I must in this case. The children of immigrants will almost always assimilate into their new country, culture, and language, whether it's the US or Bangladesh. It's simply the natural way things happen.

It's rather a joke - I'm assuming you're not really a Nazi
From the desk of:
Ambassador Sir Thomas Chapman, CD, KG
His Majesty's Ambassador to the WA for Kiribati-Tarawa
Office # 22, Floor 5 of the General Assembly building

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Sat May 02, 2015 7:21 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
The Conez Imperium wrote:You mean America will finally learn English than their creolish English?

Even for those of us who do like languages, there's no reason that everyone's 2nd language should be the same one. We already have English as a common language to communicate with other Americans, so we don't need a 2nd language for that. The purpose of learning a 2nd language would be to do international business, for immigrants to preserve a part of their ethnic identity, or to explore another culture. International business and immigrants don't all come from the same place and not everyone is curious about the same foreign cultures, so there is no reason why everyone should learn the same language.

That's an interesting thought. Most langauges taught at school are likely

A) French
B) German
C) Spanish
D) Mandarin
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

Boomhaueristan
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Boomhaueristan » Sat May 02, 2015 7:22 pm

I have no intention of learning Spanish, I speak English and Italian fluently; with a bit of Pennsylvania Dutch from my last job.

Spanish was probably one of the few classes I nearly failed, and I never took another year of it. It has its value though.
Proud service member since 2016
Libcenter
Happy husband and father

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat May 02, 2015 7:27 pm

Kiribati-Tarawa wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

It's rather a joke - I'm assuming you're not really a Nazi

No, I'm not a Nazi. If I am going to participate in a racist authoritarian douchebag's cult of personality, it will be William Tecumseh Sherman, not Adolf Hitler. I prefer douchebags that respect the law and have working brains.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat May 02, 2015 7:30 pm

The Conez Imperium wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

A) French
B) German
C) Spanish
D) Mandarin

Sounds about right. My high school offered French, Spanish, Mandarin, and Latin. It's not that uncommon to find German, though.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Sat May 02, 2015 7:47 pm

English will have a hard time competing with this.

Somewhere in California or Texas - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOUhyvKWT5E Image
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sat May 02, 2015 7:59 pm

The USA does not have an official language, I don't see why it would suddenly adopt two. Individual states have official languages and some of them are bilingual, though.

Granted, I think it would be nice if all students were required to learn a second language because learning an additional language is a rewarding and worthwhile experience.

Errades
Attaché

Founded: May 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Errades » Sat May 02, 2015 8:07 pm

I don't think Spanish will ever come close to English in the United States; the children and grandchildren of immigrants often lose their language, Spanish, and become monolingual English-speakers perhaps with a few Spanish words thrown in to communicate with their parents and grandparents in a bizarre mélange of both languages with a scandalous amount of Anglicisms. In fact, I know of [typically lower-class] immigrant families who think it is “more American” to have monolingual children; it's a status symbol for them!

Errades
Attaché

Founded: May 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Errades » Sat May 02, 2015 8:08 pm

Boomhaueristan wrote:I have no intention of learning Spanish, I speak English and Italian fluently; with a bit of Pennsylvania Dutch from my last job.

Spanish was probably one of the few classes I nearly failed, and I never took another year of it. It has its value though.

:blink: How do you nearly fail Spanish while being fluent in Italian?

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sat May 02, 2015 8:11 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:

A) French
B) German
C) Spanish
D) Mandarin

Sounds about right. My high school offered French, Spanish, Mandarin, and Latin. It's not that uncommon to find German, though.

My high school literally only offered Spanish and French. It once actually offered Russian oddly enough, but it ditched that.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat May 02, 2015 8:12 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:

A) French
B) German
C) Spanish
D) Mandarin

Some even have Japanese.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sat May 02, 2015 8:12 pm

Dakini wrote:Granted, I think it would be nice if all students were required to learn a second language because learning an additional language is a rewarding and worthwhile experience.

Not to everyone.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General