NATION

PASSWORD

Tax Choice Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What percentage should taxpayers be able to allocate?

0%
64%
1%
2%
5%
3%
10%
7%
25%
7%
50%
3%
100%
14%

Total votes : 101

Xerographica
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Capitalist Paradise

Tax Choice Discussion Thread

Postby Xerographica » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:06 pm

Cait Lamberton recently discussed tax choice on NPR (Philadelphia)... Taxes: What we think about them, what we’d like to do with them, and some handy tips. Her section begins around 13:00.

If you haven't read it already... here's her tax choice article in Democracy Journal... Your Money, Your Choice. The article is based on this study... A Spoonful of Choice: How Allocation Increases Satisfaction with Tax Payments.

What is better, having some tax choice or having none? I like the idea of tax choice because it assures that people receive more of the public goods that they truly want. I do not believe that we should trust people's words (ballot votes) more than we trust their actions (dollar votes).

What do you think? Is Cait Lamberton on the right track?
Forsher wrote:You, I and everyone we know, knows Xero's threads are about one thing and one thing only.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:58 pm

I don't know anything about budgeting for a nation, or about the needs of each individual department, organization, yadda yadda of my government. I don't think the average person should have a say when they have no idea what actually needs what amount of funding.

If they want a say, they should campaign and win election or lobby their elected leaders.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:13 pm

A lot of people are idiots and don't know shit about where their tax money goes to. If people got to choose where funding goes to it'd all go to things they can pronounce and/or even know the existence of, and I wouldn't entrust the funding of my country's infrastructure to a winy twat who want to choose where "his" money goes to.

It's not your money, anyway. Not anymore. They call it "paying" taxes for a reason.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:16 pm

None. Decentralization of budgeting for a centralized entity is a terrible idea.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:18 pm

no this will just lead to increased taxation as politicians get to say...

''See we get to take your money because you affirmed the system.''

Kind of like how they have a ''mandate'' to rule the people despite the main parties being rigged and voter turnout being so low.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:26 pm

It might be interesting to try something like 5% as a pilot program. See if this kind of crowdsourcing actually gets us anywhere.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:28 pm

How about "Pay 5% flat, or pay 10% and choose where it goes"? Something along those lines?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Scandinavian Nations
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Scandinavian Nations » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Xerographica wrote:What is better, having some tax choice or having none?

Not having taxes.

The second best thing, since some services like police, defense, etc can only be provided centrally, is not to have any more taxes than the absolute minimum necessary for these functions and holding the society together.

All that "tax choice" will accomplish is make higher taxes more palatable to the population, while the politicians will simply defund the most popular programs with their managed budget and have the people put their tax choice into them.
Those who don't remember history, are blessed to believe anything is possible when they're repeating it.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:37 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:How about "Pay 5% flat, or pay 10% and choose where it goes"? Something along those lines?

I choose to pay 10%... back into my own pocket.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:39 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:I choose to pay 10%... back into my own pocket.

Pretty sure that's not an option.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:41 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I choose to pay 10%... back into my own pocket.

Pretty sure that's not an option.

if they drag me away my argument in court will be...

''Well if Parliament INTENDED to limit the choice of where the 10% could go into, they would have and could have said so in the wording of the provision. Therefore, change the rule if you want, but I'm keeping my money. I have elected to pay 10% of my income back into my own bank. Take it as you will.''

Kefka v MNR (I can imagine it in a textbook already)
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clan Skirata
Secretary

Founded: Feb 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Clan Skirata » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:42 pm

Esternial wrote:A lot of people are idiots and don't know shit about where their tax money goes to. If people got to choose where funding goes to it'd all go to things they can pronounce and/or even know the existence of, and I wouldn't entrust the funding of my country's infrastructure to a winy twat who want to choose where "his" money goes to.

It's not your money, anyway. Not anymore. They call it "paying" taxes for a reason.

If thats true then why is it called the taxpayer's money?

I say we have a flat tax rate of 0% or at most 1%

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:if they drag me away my argument in court will be...

''Well if Parliament INTENDED to limit the choice of where the 10% could go into, they would have and could have said so in the wording of the provision. Therefore, change the rule if you want, but I'm keeping my money. I have elected to pay 10% of my income back into my own bank. Take it as you will.''

Good luck with that. More likely is that you'd end up paying well over 10% for tax evasion.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:44 pm

Clan Skirata wrote:If thats true then why is it called the taxpayer's money?

Because Captain Capitalism and the Free Marketeers have decided that government contracts don't count, only contracts with good, upstanding businessmen can be consented to.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:44 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:if they drag me away my argument in court will be...

Good luck with that. More likely is that you'd end up paying well over 10% for tax evasion.

sounds like oppression

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:45 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:sounds like oppression

Being punished for breaking a contract is oppression. Really. Is this like your "making your bed is oppression" schtick from not too long ago?
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:46 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:sounds like oppression

Being punished for breaking a contract is oppression. Really. Is this like your "making your bed is oppression" schtick from not too long ago?

i never entered into a contract to part with that 10% of my money

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Being punished for breaking a contract is oppression. Really. Is this like your "making your bed is oppression" schtick from not too long ago?

If you are a citizen of the country and use public services, you did.

Legally speaking, anyway.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:49 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

If you are a citizen of the country and use public services, you did.

Legally speaking, anyway.

not really

what consideration did I provide for this contract?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:51 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:i never entered into a contract to part with that 10% of my money

Presumably then you don't use any government services. Otherwise that would be theft of goods and services allocated only under the assumption of social contract. Are you a thief?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:52 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:i never entered into a contract to part with that 10% of my money

Presumably then you don't use any government services. Otherwise that would be theft of goods and services allocated only under the assumption of social contract. Are you a thief?

I don't believe in the social contract (it doesn't meet the form requirements for a contract; there isn't consideration from both sides and there isn't a meaningful moment we can point to specifically and say THAT is the moment of Offer and THAT is the moment of Acceptance).

Even IF there is a social contract, it would have to be unconscionable.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Presumably then you don't use any government services. Otherwise that would be theft of goods and services allocated only under the assumption of social contract. Are you a thief?

I don't believe in the social contract (it doesn't meet the form requirements for a contract; there isn't consideration from both sides and there isn't a meaningful moment we can point to specifically and say THAT is the moment of Offer and THAT is the moment of Acceptance).

Social contracts between states and their citizens do not work like the contracts made between people.

@}-;-'---

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:55 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Social contracts between states and their citizens do not work like the contracts made between people.

then they are not real contracts and the word ''contract'' is just rhetoric to give legitimisation to the powerful.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:55 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:I don't believe in the social contract (it doesn't meet the form requirements for a contract; there isn't consideration from both sides and there isn't a meaningful moment we can point to specifically and say THAT is the moment of Offer and THAT is the moment of Acceptance).

So you think that you can steal from organizations because you haven't entered into a contract with them? If you refuse the implicit contract, you cannot benefit from it.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:56 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:then they are not real contracts and the word ''contract'' is just rhetoric to give legitimisation to the powerful.

Weren't you just talking about how great feudalism was last week or somesuch?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General