NATION

PASSWORD

Amnesty: Yes or No

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Amnesty on the border of the U.S. and Mexico

Pro Amnesty!
58%
No, they don't belong here
42%

Total votes : 102

Sheltton
Attaché

Founded: Mar 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Amnesty: Yes or No

Postby Sheltton » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:09 pm

I'm pro amnesty on the U.S. Mexican border. What get's me is the fact that ones say 'they don't deserve to be here' (quote from Bill O'reilley), while the Statue of Liberty inscription reads : Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.
'Psychotic Liberal'
Pro - ~Freedom of Religion~Peace~Choice~Acceptance
Anti - ~ISIS~Homophobia~Bigotry~Minions
Random likes - France~Lady Gaga~Dick

Cyrisnia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:23 pm

Sheltton wrote:I'm pro amnesty on the U.S. Mexican border. What get's me is the fact that ones say 'they don't deserve to be here' (quote from Bill O'reilley), while the Statue of Liberty inscription reads : Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

I'm anti-small OPs.
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man
410,757,864,530 DEAD REBS

Second Blazing
Minister

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Second Blazing » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:24 pm

Sheltton wrote:I'm pro amnesty on the U.S. Mexican border. What get's me is the fact that ones say 'they don't deserve to be here' (quote from Bill O'reilley), while the Statue of Liberty inscription reads : Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

That was a 100 years ago when we needed enough people out west to drive out the Indians. Times have changed, we're getting overcrowded as it is.
"I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

United Russian Soviet States
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian Soviet States » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:28 pm

I am pro-amnesty.
This nation does not represent my views.
I stand with Rand.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Sig.
:Member of the United National Group:

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:29 pm

Yep, I like how the only monument of significant importance you have has been made by France...
Still, I don't see why you shouldn't let immigrant come. After all, it was their land before...
Citoyen Français. Bonapartiste Républicain (aka De Gaule's Gaullisme) with Keynesian leanings on economics. Latin Christian.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:31 pm

I don't like calling it amnesty but I am in favor of giving people who have lived here for a long time a path to legalization and eventual citizenship. I don't want there to be millions of people living here permanently without that possibility.
Last edited by Ashmoria on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatever

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:31 pm

Aelex wrote:

Yep, I like how the only monument of significant importance you have has been made by France...
Still, I don't see why you shouldn't let immigrant come. After all, it was their land before...

:eyebrow:
It was the immigrant's land? I'm quite certain an immigrant from...um, Tajikistan, would have no link whatsoever the indigenous peoples of the Americas.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:33 pm

I don't think the post is good enough; I'm not in favour of a non-existent immigration policy nor am I totally opposed to immigration. I quite like New Zealand's point system.

Boineburg
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Boineburg » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:36 pm

Anti-Amnesty if I understand the definition correctly. Can't get the immigration papers? Stay out.
Sebastianbourg wrote: :eyebrow:
It was the immigrant's land? I'm quite certain an immigrant from...um, Tajikistan, would have no link whatsoever the indigenous peoples of the Americas.

We're discussing the US-Mexican border. The Southwestern US was formerly part of Mexico until we conquered it.
B O I N E B U R G
★-               -★
★—               —★
★-               -★
ABSIT INIURIA

Myself | I don't give a damn. | SAVE
Class G17 nation according to the Civilization Index.
 N  PRO 
   C   HB2  

Cetatsenia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetatsenia » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:49 pm

Aelex wrote:

It was their land a few decades shy of 2 centuries ago. So that fact is kind of irrelevant now; it's America now. I have nothing against immigrants, but they should actually become citizens if they want to live in the country.

And also, what's your definition of 'significant importance' for monuments? Because there's plenty of monuments in the US.
Last edited by Cetatsenia on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:53 pm

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome;
her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

If immigration to the US was more open, I'd be more anti-amnesty, but between our sheer boneheadedness regarding migrant workers and our reduced rate of allowed immigration, I'm inclined to believe that mass amnesty is the only practical choice. Plenty of supply and plenty of demand makes sales, whether you want 'em or not, savvy?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:58 pm

Cetatsenia wrote:It was their land a few decades shy of 2 centuries ago. So that fact is kind of irrelevant now; it's America now. I have nothing against immigrants, but they should actually become citizens if they want to live in the country.

And also, what's your definition of 'significant importance' for monuments? Because there's plenty of monuments in the US.

Not really.
Still, apart from the Statue de la Liberté and the Rushmore, can you give me another Great American Monument?
Citoyen Français. Bonapartiste Républicain (aka De Gaule's Gaullisme) with Keynesian leanings on economics. Latin Christian.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:59 pm

Aelex wrote:Not really.
Still, apart from the Statue de la Liberté and the Rushmore, can you give me another Great American Monument?

Washington Monument.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

The United Territories of Providence
Minister

Founded: May 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Territories of Providence » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:00 pm

This was a bad OP.

I'm pro-fixing our current immigration system, b/c currently it's more of a 5-year lottery than immigration system. Amnesty isn't the answer, >11,000,000 new citizens? That's just not practical. Also, okay the statue of liberty says we welcome all immigrants....our money says "In god we trust"....So? Just because our money has "God" doesn't mean we aren't a secular nation, and just because a 100 year old monument promotes an open door policy doesn't mean we should.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

FORMER REPUBLICAN
SOCIAL DEMOCRAT
Economic: -2.5
Social: -5.28

LGBTQ Rights
Palestine
Medicare for All
Gender Equality
Green Energy
Legal Immigration
Abortion rights
Democracy
Assault Weapons Ban
Censorship
MRA
Fundamentalism
Fascism
Political Correctness
Fascism
Monarchy
Illegal Immigration
Capitalism
Free Trade

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:05 pm

The United Territories of Providence wrote:This was a bad OP.

I'm pro-fixing our current immigration system, b/c currently it's more of a 5-year lottery than immigration system. Amnesty isn't the answer, >11,000,000 new citizens? That's just not practical.

Yes, 11,000,000 non-citizens are much less of a drain. So long as they can't vote in Federal elections, they won't overwhelm the system. Whew! That was a close one! People were almost represented in this country!
Also, okay the statue of liberty says we welcome all immigrants....our money says "In god we trust"....So? Just because our money has "God" doesn't mean we aren't a secular nation, and just because a 100 year old monument promotes an open door policy doesn't mean we should.

George Washington wrote:The bosom of America is open to receive not only the Opulent and respectable Stranger, but the oppressed and persecuted of all Nations and Religions; whom we shall welcome to a participation of all our rights and privileges, if by decency and propriety of conduct they appear to merit the enjoyment

The poem reflects the ideals of the country, not vice versa.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The United Territories of Providence » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:10 pm

Aelex wrote:
Cetatsenia wrote:It was their land a few decades shy of 2 centuries ago. So that fact is kind of irrelevant now; it's America now. I have nothing against immigrants, but they should actually become citizens if they want to live in the country.

Not really.

The Washington Monument
The Lincoln Memorial
The White House
The Gateway Arch
Plymouth Rock
Independence Park
The Marine Corps War Memorial

We forgive your limited knowledge of our country, but when you try to interject in our domestic policy....some understanding of our culture our laws might be useful.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

FORMER REPUBLICAN
SOCIAL DEMOCRAT

LGBTQ Rights
Palestine
Medicare for All
Gender Equality
Green Energy
Legal Immigration
Abortion rights
Democracy
Assault Weapons Ban
Censorship
MRA
Fundamentalism
Fascism
Political Correctness
Fascism
Monarchy
Illegal Immigration
Capitalism
Free Trade

Valkalan
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Valkalan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:16 pm

Historically, openness to immigrants has attracted many of the world's greatest minds such as Nikola Tesla, Andrew Carnegie, John von Neumann and Albert Einstein. Unskilled immigrants are usually willing to work, even if it means accepting low wage jobs that few of the natives would want. It would be folly to turn these folks away. I would only caution that special privileges such as in-state tuition for immigrant youth be removed. Furthermore, the nation's constitution must be amended such that any radical shift in the nation's demographics cannot be leveraged to alter the legal structure of the nation. For instance, if my nation's original inhabitants became a minority in their own nation on account of immigration from the Middle East I wouldn't the new majority to vote to make my nation an Islamic state.
वज्रमात अस्ता रिजथम

The Directorate of Valkalan is a federation of autonomous city-states which operate a joint military and share uniform commercial and civil law and a common foreign policy, and which is characterized by wealth, intrigue, and advanced technology.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:19 pm

I support amnesty assuming that those applying for it 1) have a clean criminal record and 2) agree to pay backtaxes.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:21 pm

I think that it makes sense to provide amnesty to undocumented immigrants who are here. How are we going to deport millions and millions of people? Most undocumented immigrants have established social, cultural, and economic roots in the USA. We may as well ensure that we know who is living here, ensure people are being fairly treated at work, etc. Many undocumented immigrants are paid under the table and don't get minimum wage, for example -- that drives down wages. Giving them the legal right to work would mean all American workers, immigrant or not, are on a level playing field.

In the future I'd like to see a Canadian/Australian-style points based immigration system, combined with a controlled amount of unskilled immigration. We could put a quota on, say, 2-year temporary work visas, which people who would have entered the country illegally could access to. As long as they have no criminal history, a degree of English proficiency(or a plan to learn the basics), and a plan to look for work, they could have a 2-year visa to work. If, after 2 years, they're making strong economic contributions to the country, are employed, etc, they could eventually be extended to permanent residency. Then we could have control over the amount of people who come to this country and fix the border issue

We should probably let in, say, 3 million migrants each year - comprised of skilled migrants, unskilled migrants, family reunification, and refugees. I'd say that about 12% of that could be reserved for unskilled migrants. That's about 360,000 unskilled migrants each year. Currently about 700,000 undocumented immigrants enter each year. A temporary work visa program could cut that number in half, while ensuring they can come to America safely, have a path to permanent residency/citizenship, and ensure that they are able to legally work for proper wages and conditions, interact with government agencies, not fear deportation, etc. People would probably stop entering illegally through the border, as they could just wait until the next year to get a visa if the quota has been filled.

Ultimately we should have a goal of:
a) Establishing a points-based system to admit many more skilled migrants - I propose a huge increase.
b) Providing amnesty to current undocumented immigrants who are making a social/economic contribution in the US.
c) Stemming the flow of illegal immigration by providing a temporary work visa program to unskilled workers, with an annual quota.
d) Aiming to have the majority of immigrants be skilled workers.

America has a comparatively low amount of people born abroad - only about 13% are. By comparison, Australia has 26% born abroad.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:27 pm

The United Territories of Providence wrote:
The Washington Monument
The Lincoln Memorial
The White House
The Gateway Arch
Plymouth Rock
Independence Park

We forgive your limited knowledge of our country, but when you try to interject in our domestic policy....some understanding of our culture our laws might be useful.

Culture... :roll:

Still, you should just soften your laws a little and let more people come, thus, by controlling it, you'll stem the flow of migrant more effectively than by just saying "don't come in my country"...

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:35 pm

Hey, it if was good enough for Reagan it's good enough for me.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:43 pm

Throw the illegals out.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Kumuri
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kumuri » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:13 pm

Second Blazing wrote:

That was a 100 years ago when we needed enough people out west to drive out the Indians. Times have changed, we're getting overcrowded as it is.

Yeah, drive out the original people so the illegal immigrants can settle the land.

I'm for opening the borders.
╔═════════════════════════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ═════════════════════════════════════╗
dead
╚═════════════════════════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ═════════════════════════════════════╝

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:27 pm

Second Blazing wrote:

There's 84 people per square mile. How the fuck is that too crowded? What would be an acceptable level of crowding for you? 20 per square mile? 1 per square mile?
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The United Territories of Providence » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:44 pm

Aelex wrote:
The United Territories of Providence wrote:
The Washington Monument
The Lincoln Memorial
The White House
The Gateway Arch
Plymouth Rock
Independence Park

Culture... :roll:

Still, you should just soften your laws a little and let more people come, thus, by controlling it, you'll stem the flow of migrant more effectively than by just saying "don't come in my country"...

The problem isn't the laws are too hard, the problem is the laws aren't rational. I don't know if you're familiar with our actual immigration policy, so I'll quote a conversation I had with another nation while trying to explain it.

Other Nation: "I'm not getting something here though, why are there so many illegal immigrants? Why must they hop the border, don't they have a passport?"

Me: "I didn't expect you to be familiar with our "glorious" immigration system. It costs over $20,000 and can take upwards of 10 years to become a naturalized US citizen. First we have a limit on how many immigrants each country is allowed to send. So that's why in 2013 12.5 million applied for citizenship, and only 55,000 got in. And by got in I just mean we accepted their applications, not approved them. Then if we approve their application, they must travel to America until they're citizenship interview. At that point they are given a $100 booklet with over 150 questions (not answers) regarding American history and government. At the interview they must answer 10 questions that have been selected at random, and they need 100% accuracy. Then they must prove fluency in English. Finally, if the US doesn't decide to reject them (b/c they can do that for whatever reason, and they often do) they can wait months or years before they're sworn in as a citizen. A foreign passport means nothing here, if you are not a citizen you have a limited amount of time you're "welcome." By hoping the border they don't spend 10+ years in limbo, when they aren't even guaranteed citizenship. The fence is a sure thing, application is more of a lottery."
_[' ]_
(-_Q)

FORMER REPUBLICAN
SOCIAL DEMOCRAT

LGBTQ Rights
Palestine
Medicare for All
Gender Equality
Green Energy
Legal Immigration