NATION

PASSWORD

Portugal to naturalize descendants of Sephardic Jews

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Portugal to naturalize descendants of Sephardic Jews

Postby Romalae » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:26 pm

Source: BBC News

Nobody expects the…Portuguese…Inquisition.
The Portuguese Cabinet has approved rules under which descendants of Jews expelled from Portugal more than 500 years ago can claim citizenship.

Many Sephardic Jews were killed, forced to convert to Christianity or leave at the end of the 15th Century.

Parliament paved the way for a change in citizenship laws two years ago, but the move needed Cabinet approval.

From now on, descendants of Sephardic Jews who can prove a strong link to Portugal can apply for a passport.

Proof can be brought, the government says, through a combination of surname, language spoken in the family or evidence of direct descent.

Ancient Presence

Thousands of Sephardic Jews were forced off the Iberian peninsula, first from Spain and then from Portugal.

Some of those who fled to other parts of Europe or to America continued to speak a form of Portuguese in their new communities.

The Portuguese government acknowledges that Jews lived in the region long before the Portuguese kingdom was founded in the 12th Century.

"There is no possibility to amend what was done," says Portuguese Justice Minister Paula Teixera da Cruz, adding that the law change was "an attribution of a right".

Portugal's Jewish community which once numbered in the tens of thousands has shrunk to just 1,000 - most of them Ashkenazim with roots in Eastern Europe.

Neighbouring Spain is still debating a similar law to address its treatment of Jews in the past.

Very interesting article from the BBC about how the Portuguese cabinet just recently approved a law passed a couple years back by the parliament regarding the resettlement of the descendants of the Sephardic Jews who were expelled forcefully from Portugal in the 1490s. Back then, the Portuguese followed suit after Spain began its infamous Inquisition, and established its own Inquisition in the 1500s. Now, it seems like the Portuguese government is trying to make amends for this and right the wrongs of the past.

What do you think about this action? Is it the right thing to do? Does it make sense? Why do you think this came up at all? Will it ultimately be ineffectual/ignored?

Personally, I support this right-of-return policy, but I have my doubts that it will actually lead to much of an influx of descendants of the Portuguese Sephardim. My guess is the real reason Portugal did this was for a good image and maybe to assuage some collective guilt. The descendants of the Portuguese Sephardic Jews have long been resettled and integrated into other countries and communities, notably Israel (of course) and France and the USA. Not to mention, I'm sure it won't be particularly easy to prove lineage since it's been 500 years and it's hard to document.

That said, though, there are now over two million Sephardic Jews, and the identity has really developed and continued on its own set of laws and practices. So I suppose that some would be interested in returning to their ancestral homeland if possible, and reestablishing a community there in the spirit of their ancestors, just like with Israel in the 1900s. But since Israel has already kinda monopolized the Jewish right-of-return idea, I can hardly imagine seeing any similar kind of immigration influx. It's probably just for extended justice and a good image.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:35 pm

Don't know how many would/will take it up, but it's a nice gesture to atone for what happened.

Romalae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:36 pm

Napkiraly wrote:Don't know how many would/will take it up, but it's a nice gesture to atone for what happened.

Agreed. Better late than never, right?

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:37 pm

http://www.timesofisrael.com/spanish-la ... aningless/

Spain still beat them, hilarious though.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:38 pm

Romalae wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Don't know how many would/will take it up, but it's a nice gesture to atone for what happened.

Most definitely.
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Confederate Ramenia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Confederate Ramenia » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:57 pm

Playing devil's advocate here, the Sephardic Jews should not be naturalized. They are not the victims of persecution, they are merely their descendants. They have grown up outside of Portugal, outside of Portuguese culture and thus cannot be called Portuguese.
The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is a genuine workers' state in which all the people are completely liberated from exploitation and oppression. The workers, peasants, soldiers and intellectuals are the true masters of their destiny and are in a unique position to defend their interests.
The Flutterlands wrote:Because human life and dignity is something that should be universally valued above all things in society.

Benito Mussolini wrote:Everybody has the right to create for himself his own ideology and to attempt to enforce it with all the energy of which he is capable.

I disown most of my previous posts

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:58 pm

Confederate Ramenia wrote:Playing devil's advocate here, the Sephardic Jews should not be naturalized. They are not the victims of persecution, they are merely their descendants. They have grown up outside of Portugal, outside of Portuguese culture and thus cannot be called Portuguese.

Well not necessarily.

I mean Stalin exiled the Crimean Tatars yet the Ukraine allowed them to return along with their descendants.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:05 pm

Romalae wrote:

Yep. ^This

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:06 pm

Spain's been doing that for a few years. It recently published the newest list of last names considered Jewish and that could make many people eligible for naturalization.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:16 pm

Romalae wrote:

Quite.

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:17 pm

I think it's a good gesture, especially with rising antisemitism in Europe. It is a very nice thing to do.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:18 pm

1. Because Spain did it first

2. Because the Portuguese population is shrinking fast, there are many millions of Portuguese people who live overseas (more than 1 million in Brazil alone), and of the 10 million living in the country, the number might reduce 10-20% in number in 50 years.

Lusophone countries bar Angola, Mozambique and IIRC Timor-Leste (none of these veeeeery Lusophone) are notorious for their usually low childbirth rate in comparison to their neighbors, with Portuguese women being right now the least fertile in the whole European Union. The 2010s are seeing less than half of yearly childbirths in comparison to the 1970s.

It will be hit first and fast by the graying of Europe, with its terrible economic effects. Giving how their life standards are compared to the more peripheral countries of Central Europe and this century will see lots of instability due to environmental problems around the world, this might mean lots of bad things.
Kotturheim's contagious despair.
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

Romalae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:19 pm

Confederate Ramenia wrote:Playing devil's advocate here, the Sephardic Jews should not be naturalized. They are not the victims of persecution, they are merely their descendants. They have grown up outside of Portugal, outside of Portuguese culture and thus cannot be called Portuguese.

I just don't see what the problem is, if the host nation is willing to take them back in. It seems like a mutualistic venture.

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:21 pm

Romalae wrote:I just don't see what the problem is, if the host nation is willing to take them back in. It seems like a mutualistic venture.

The truth is, Portugal is among the countries that most need immigration. Attitudes against their coming are desperate xenophobic bullshit that shouldn't be listened to.
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:23 pm

It seems to me that this is merely symbolic. How are you supposed to prove you are descended from the original Sephardic Jews expelled from the Iberian peninsula?

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:27 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:It seems to me that this is merely symbolic. How are you supposed to prove you are descended from the original Sephardic Jews expelled from the Iberian peninsula?

I think surnames might help.

But indeed, it's very rare to be sure, unless you have documents or has recent decent from a Sephardic community. (Even then, how can you distinguish Portuguese from Spanish?)

Confederate Ramenia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Confederate Ramenia » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:28 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:It seems to me that this is merely symbolic. How are you supposed to prove you are descended from the original Sephardic Jews expelled from the Iberian peninsula?

Portuguese-Jewish genetics magic.
Edgy Opinions wrote:
Romalae wrote:I just don't see what the problem is, if the host nation is willing to take them back in. It seems like a mutualistic venture.

The truth is, Portugal is among the countries that most need immigration. Attitudes against their coming are desperate xenophobic bullshit that shouldn't be listened to.

Though I agree with Portugal's actions, please share this "xenophobic bullshit" to further the debate.
The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is a genuine workers' state in which all the people are completely liberated from exploitation and oppression. The workers, peasants, soldiers and intellectuals are the true masters of their destiny and are in a unique position to defend their interests.
The Flutterlands wrote:Because human life and dignity is something that should be universally valued above all things in society.

Benito Mussolini wrote:Everybody has the right to create for himself his own ideology and to attempt to enforce it with all the energy of which he is capable.

I disown most of my previous posts

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:28 pm

Edgy Opinions wrote:

I think surnames might help.

But indeed, it's very rare to be sure, unless you have documents or has recent decent from a Sephardic community. (Even then, how can you distinguish Portuguese from Spanish?)

Oh really...

"Hello, my name is Michael Goldbergheimeinstein, and I would like my Portuguese citizenship and money."

Romalae
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:28 pm

My guess is cultural vestiges like the Judaeo-Spanish language, and perhaps some badass genealogists.

Edgy Opinions wrote:

That makes sense, given your first post. The birthrate is declining without a doubt, although I believe there is still slight population growth from the net migration rate.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:29 pm

That's good. It will help atone for what happened.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:31 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Edgy Opinions wrote:I think surnames might help.

Oh really...

"Hello, my name is Michael Goldbergheimeinstein, and I would like my Portuguese citizenship and money."

That's not a Sephardic surname.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:32 pm

Surnames generally iirc. Certain surnames are more prevalent or exclusive to the Sephardic community iirc.

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:33 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Edgy Opinions wrote:I think surnames might help.

Oh really...

"Hello, my name is Michael Goldbergheimeinstein Abravanel, and I would like my Portuguese citizenship and money want to be renamed Saulo Santos and start a television conglomerate, I'm going to start by selling bauble on the streets."

Fixed.
Confederate Ramenia wrote:Though I agree with Portugal's actions, please share this "xenophobic bullshit" to further the debate.

Portuguese nationalist sites are all "bawwwwwww, keep accepting immigrants from Africa and they act just like Roma in other EU countries and harm our reputation by doing so!" *ethnic Cape Verdean youth pickpocket people in Switzerland and local media refers to them by their citizenship, that is Portuguese* "The horror, the horror!"

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:34 pm

There are ancestry tests than analyze your DNA and tell what regions and ethnic groups you descend from. So they could use that.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:34 pm

Napkiraly wrote:

Surnames generally iirc. Certain surnames are more prevalent or exclusive to the Sephardic community iirc.

If I recall correctly, the list of Spanish-Sephardic surnames included very popular surnames. Even Rodríguez and Goméz were included and unless you're Basque or Catalan these are very common surnames.
Last edited by Sebastianbourg on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General