NATION

PASSWORD

Inkululeko Ngesikathi Sethu OOC (Pr/MT Closed)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Inkululeko Ngesikathi Sethu OOC (Pr/MT Closed)

Postby Lydenburg » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Link to IC: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=322469

So this is it. Kalumba is finally gaining independence under a majority rule government.

But what's the circumstances? How did a bush conflict going on for over a decade finally give way to negotiations and the peace process? Inkululeko Ngesikathi Sethu is how it happened. It is told from the viewpoints of all characters from all walks of life: farmers, peasants, politicians, soldiers, guerrillas. White and black, Kalumban and Lydenburger, great and small.

It is a story of courage, of how a nation birthed in the pain of civil war is finally put to rest.
It is a story of adversity, of ordinary individuals overcoming extraordinary situations.
It is a story that spans nearly two decades of A Luta Continua's rocky history.

Inkululeko Ngesikathi Sethu.

South African and some Zimbabwean writers will know this means, but just to be sure that everyone understands, it's Freedom in our lifetime. Anti-apartheid slogan which gained popularity in the dying days of the Nationalist regime prior to RSA's 1994 elections.

This is the place for OC discussion.

Projected threat direction as of now:

1) The last major military operation that forces both sides to the negotiating table. Kalumba's whites because of the heavy losses they sustain (and cannot continue sustaining) and the KANARE guerrillas, because most of their hardware is destroyed.

2) So the year is 1972 and KANARE has the upper hand in Kalumba's bush war. The guerrillas have acquired heavy weapons in increasing numbers and it is the goal of the security forces in both Lydenburg and Kalumba to destroy their arsenal. At this point, many Lydenburger troops are clandestinely serving in Kalumban uniforms and everything from ammunition to maintenance crews are being provided courtesy of the baaskap regime. Kalumba has also been given the new armoured cars, which will play a pivotal role in COIN since they can pursue insurgents in places the tanks can't.

We can do a quick op just to get on record some RP information about the Kalumban war, which has been discussed in both our factbooks but never actually written about. Something simple. Some guerrillas are captured and hint to the possibility of a major base. The Tembe Scouts find it and identify a major cache of equipment, possibly including light armour and anti-aircraft weapons, and a major follow-up is mounted by the KLI and Cavalry Brigade to destroy it - with support from both air forces. Guerrillas are of course eliminated, but the major casualties sustained convince the Kalumbans that they can no longer afford to keep the war up and must begin negotiations.

As I've said, this will be relatively short and limited in context to a single operation, just to illustrate the nature of the bush war days in Kalumba - which is a very important era in both our nations' histories.
Last edited by Lydenburg on Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:59 pm

@K: So far, I've introduced Hondo Madhuku, who is the Lydenburger MNP guerrilla with KANARE I've referred to in our last exchange. Obviously he has no problem killing civilians which is contrary to the group's policy, over time I may mellow him out somewhat as his exposure to the party ideals increases but for the time being Madhuku is a very violent character who represents the clash of ideologies between most black Lydenburgers and Kalumbans: the latter being basically middle of the road conservatives who only want majority rule, the former being radical young idealists who are more biased against whites in general.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Return to International Incidents