NATION

PASSWORD

Movie/Show Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Movie/Show Discussion Thread

Postby Corrian » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:07 pm

Alright, I've thought about this for a while, but being me, took forever to do anything about it. Which is a general discussion thread for TV shows and movies. Of course, the specific important threads for shows and movies still serve their purpose. But here I figured it would be good to discuss movie/shows you're enjoying right now, movie/shows you love, posting movie/show trailers to each other, discussing the state of the industry and your opinions on it, your favorite movie/show soundtracks, and so on and so forth.

Honestly, I can't think of anything specific to discuss at the moment, so hopefully you guys can begin the discussion! I mean, I'm a part of a music discussion thread and we always find some way to discuss stuff, even without anything in particular. Especially since a lot of us there actively seek out new music. I'm sure there are people here who actively seek out new movies and shows more than I do at the moment, because my main entertainment hobbies are video games and music right now, not movies or shows so much yet.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:52 pm

Corrian wrote:I'm sure there are people here who actively seek out new movies and shows

...discover new life in old plots, and boldly go where no theater-goer has gone before? :p

OK, I actually do look for strange little movies, like documentaries and curious art-house movies. I got to see Russian Ark, Air Guitar Nation, and Locke that way. Anybody else look for films outside the mainstream?
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:27 pm

I don't really specifically look for stuff outside of the mainstream, though 90%, in ANYTHING, I prefer stuff outside of the mainstream. Because most of that is more creative and interesting than the mainstream.
My Last.FM and RYM

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:29 pm

Corrian wrote:I don't really specifically look for stuff outside of the mainstream, though 90%, in ANYTHING, I prefer stuff outside of the mainstream. Because most of that is more creative and interesting than the mainstream.

The three I mentioned definitely are. Russian Ark is a technical tour de force: the whole movie is a single, unbroken take. Try doing that with a typical blockbuster.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:33 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Corrian wrote:I don't really specifically look for stuff outside of the mainstream, though 90%, in ANYTHING, I prefer stuff outside of the mainstream. Because most of that is more creative and interesting than the mainstream.

The three I mentioned definitely are. Russian Ark is a technical tour de force: the whole movie is a single, unbroken take. Try doing that with a typical blockbuster.

The movie is one single take? :blink: . daamn.
My Last.FM and RYM

Conoga
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conoga » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:35 pm

I really loved that movie. There's an absurd amount of extras too, the management must have been ridiculous.

Oceasia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 21, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Oceasia » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:59 pm

Tagged.
..()_()
.(o - o) /\
...|.....\/...\
...|......\vvv\
...|.)|.)(..)===<<<
Economic Left/Right= -3.0
Social Liberal/Authoritarian= -4.41
You are 2.8% Evil.
You are 17.9% Lawful.
Alignment: True Neutral
Jurassic World has announced a new attraction coming this June. No other details were given.

No, my nation isn't ruled by dinosaurs

Cosumar
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosumar » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:32 pm

Great idea, Corrian. I'm more interested in TV shows than film these days as a storytelling format, but here's a sampling of my tastes. I'm an unapologetic mainstreamer when it comes to movies.

Favorite movies: Avatar, The Dark Knight, Elf, Interstellar, EVERY Star Wars movie, The Lion King, National Treasure, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Alien, Anchorman, Guardians of the Galaxy, Inception, Indiana Jones, the original Spider-Man movies, The Terminator series, Thor, Titanic, The Mummy, District 9, I Am Legend, How To Train Your Dragon, Limitless, Scream.

Favorite shows: 24, LOST, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Prison Break, Doctor Who (classic & nu), Dexter, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, House of Cards, Heroes, Orange Is The New Black, Metalocalypse, Lie To Me, Law & Order SVU. Some shows I am planning to start soon are Babylon 5, Sherlock, The Wire, and Game of Thrones.
Qualified: World Cups 54-59, 62, 73-83
President, World Lacrosse Fed.
World Bowl VP

Champions: DBC 35/44/45, AOCAF 54, Eagle Cup VII, WCoH 33, CoH 64, IBC 18, NSCF 10/11/15/16, WLC 20/21/26, Arena Bowl I & III
2nd Place: AOCAF 57, NSCF 13, WBC 34, WLC 12/19/23, AOHC VI, Arena Bowl V
3rd Place: AOCAF 55, CoH 45 & 62, WLC 18 & 24, BoI VI

Host: WC 78 & 82, CoH 69 & 74, BoF 62, World Bowl 27, WLC 20, Beach Cup II & V
NEWSWIRE
Your friendly neighborhood Metalhead
Last.fm | RYM | Essential Cosumarcore
Political Compass
U of Texas grad livin in NC
Dallas sports
Secularist, Environmentalist, LGBT/BLM/feminist ally, Whovian
Author, Issue 319: Sizing Up The Competition

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:37 pm

Cosumar wrote:Great idea, Corrian. I'm more interested in TV shows than film these days as a storytelling format, but here's a sampling of my tastes. I'm an unapologetic mainstreamer when it comes to movies.

Favorite movies: Avatar, The Dark Knight, Elf, Interstellar, EVERY Star Wars movie, The Lion King, National Treasure, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Alien, Anchorman, Guardians of the Galaxy, Inception, Indiana Jones, the original Spider-Man movies, The Terminator series, Thor, Titanic, The Mummy, District 9, I Am Legend, How To Train Your Dragon, Limitless, Scream.

Favorite shows: 24, LOST, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Prison Break, Doctor Who (classic & nu), Dexter, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, House of Cards, Heroes, Orange Is The New Black, Metalocalypse, Lie To Me, Law & Order SVU. Some shows I am planning to start soon are Babylon 5, Sherlock, The Wire, and Game of Thrones.

It's late here, and I misread the bold part as a single title and thought "Wow, that's a strange cross-over!". :p

BTW: nice flag; like the colors and layout.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:49 pm

Cosumar wrote:Great idea, Corrian. I'm more interested in TV shows than film these days as a storytelling format, but here's a sampling of my tastes. I'm an unapologetic mainstreamer when it comes to movies.

Yes, you don't bask in the glory of creativity in movies and everything else as much as you do in music :P. For some reason I seem to be one of the only ones who seek out hardcore creativity in all of these forms of entertainment.

Not to say your selection consists of purely typical mainstream hits or anything is bad, but I still feel alone sometimes :P

Anyway, yes, do watch Sherlock and Game of Thrones. Both are great.

I need to make some actual lists related to shows and movies.

Speaking of shows I NEED to watch. I have Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, more Parenthood (All of these have 5+ seasons so it's freaking taking forever), The Wire I guess, possibly at least earlier Prison Break, more Orange is the New Black, some of the other new Netflix originals because they seem pretty consistently good (Even like Hemlock Grove on some levels even though it looked terrible in the trailer, though it's not great), more The Newsroom, ect....
My Last.FM and RYM

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:04 am

Oh, and I threw that Russian Ark movie onto my Netflix list
My Last.FM and RYM

Volmachtia
Senator

Founded: Nov 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volmachtia » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:42 am

Movies-wise, I really, really like epic films, and especially historical epic films a la Kingdom of Heaven, Mongol, Braveheart or Gladiator. It's a shame that there are so few of them coming out (or rather, almost none), and most of them are diluted soap drama crap and get PG-13-itized like Pompeii. Now besides that, I still have a taste for gratuitous and bloody action movies simply because they're just damn fun (like Dredd, Rambo, Black Hawk Down and Snowpiercer although it's a bit more than that). I like intellectual and sci-fi movies like Moon, Europa Report and Interstellar, though I have no problem also loving the Marvel movies. Despite a couple weaker ones I don't think I've found one yet that I didn't enjoy.

Shows-wise, I've been a longtime fan of the Stargate shows (especially Atlantis), as well as later Star Trek series like DS9 and Voyager. Game of Thrones, naturally, is awesome though I confess I wish it'd have a little more character development. It seems to be turning itself into a "who dies next" kind of show than anything else, but still it's great. Vikings is also excellent, and I've followed it since its premier. Walking Dead is enjoyable if frequently inconsistent. South Park is excellent but I have yet to find a TV show as consistently funny as The Office or Parks and Rec. I'll miss you, Parks and rec :(

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:45 am

I approve of your selection:) Though I tend to think the Marvel movies are overrated.

Oh, and the Stargate I saw, other than one I can't recall the name of right now that I did enjoy, I had a hard time getting into because the acting seemed...bad. But the one with Robert Carlyle was good. Which is no surprise, because Robert Carlyle.
My Last.FM and RYM

Volmachtia
Senator

Founded: Nov 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volmachtia » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:49 am

Corrian wrote:I approve of your selection:) Though I tend to think the Marvel movies are overrated.

Oh, and the Stargate I saw, other than one I can't recall the name of right now that I did enjoy, I had a hard time getting into because the acting seemed...bad. But the one with Robert Carlyle was good. Which is no surprise, because Robert Carlyle.

You might be thinking of the original movie, which was shit, frankly. Otherwise Stargate is often known for its more laid-back and often satirical tone that plays with genre tropes for comedy while maintaining its own story.

And Robert Carlyle was in Universe, which I didn't mind but I found its emphasis on character drama to be a poor decision, given the number of generally unlikable characters.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:57 am

Volmachtia wrote:
Corrian wrote:I approve of your selection:) Though I tend to think the Marvel movies are overrated.

You might be thinking of the original movie, which was shit, frankly. Otherwise Stargate is often known for its more laid-back and often satirical tone that plays with genre tropes for comedy while maintaining its own story.

And Robert Carlyle was in Universe, which I didn't mind but I found its emphasis on character drama to be a poor decision, given the number of generally unlikable characters.

Well, I never finished watching it, so maybe it got worse.

Though I think Robert Carlyle's character was the most entertaining, anyway. I don't really remember any of the other characters...

I think Robert Carlyle's characters apparently are always entertaining.
My Last.FM and RYM

IisraelL
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby IisraelL » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:54 am

I have it on my film checklist. I haven't seen it yet though.
Soos (Gravity Falls) wrote:My wisdom is both a blessing and a curse

Bill Cipher (Gravity Falls) wrote:Remember! Reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!

Me (Based on an Albert Einstein quote) wrote:I do not know how the Third World War will be fought, but I can tell you what they will use in the Fourth — Oompa-Loompas!

President Merkin Muffley (Dr. Strangelove, 1964) wrote:Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!

Economic Left/Right: 3.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.44

Oceasia
Negotiator

Postby Oceasia » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:03 am

I've watched a lot of movies on your list, and i agree with you.
Though, of any mainstream movies, i actually never watched the LOTR trilogy. Any recommendations, anyone?
..()_()
.(o - o) /\
...|.....\/...\
...|......\vvv\
...|.)|.)(..)===<<<
You are 2.8% Evil.
You are 17.9% Lawful.
Jurassic World has announced a new attraction coming this June. No other details were given.

IisraelL
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby IisraelL » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:04 am

Top 10 Favorite movies: 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Requiem for a Dream, The Shawshank Redemption, Life of Pi, Frozen, Mulholland Drive, Blade Runner, The Dark Knight, Prisoners

About TV series... let's see: Monster (2004 Anime), Breaking Bad, Avatar TLA, Steins;Gate, Code Geass, Lost, Gravity Falls, Seinfeld, Batman TAS, Courage the Cowardly Dog, South Park, Lost (Yeah, the ending was not good, but it was a fun ride), Prison Break, Attack on Titan, DBZ, Samurai Jack, Old Spongebob episodes, Phineas and Ferb (I know, it's childish, but I can't help it I like those shows)

Yep, I don't see TV as much as films.

You can definitely see the contrast between TV and film for me, I watch tons of films and not a lot TV.

Bill Cipher (Gravity Falls) wrote:Remember! Reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!

Me (Based on an Albert Einstein quote) wrote:I do not know how the Third World War will be fought, but I can tell you what they will use in the Fourth — Oompa-Loompas!

President Merkin Muffley (Dr. Strangelove, 1964) wrote:Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!

Oceasia
Negotiator

Postby Oceasia » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:07 am

IisraelL wrote:Top 10 Favorite movies: 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Requiem for a Dream, The Shawshank Redemption, Life of Pi, Frozen, Mulholland Drive, Blade Runner, The Dark Knight, Prisoners

About TV series... let's see: Monster (2004 Anime), Breaking Bad, Avatar TLA, Steins;Gate, Code Geass, Lost, Gravity Falls, Seinfeld, Batman TAS, Courage the Cowardly Dog, South Park, Lost (Yeah, the ending was not good, but it was a fun ride), Prison Break, Attack on Titan, DBZ, Samurai Jack, Old Spongebob episodes, Phineas and Ferb (I know, it's childish, but I can't help it I like those shows)

Yep, I don't see TV as much as films.

You can definitely see the contrast between TV and film for me, I watch tons of films and not a lot TV.

I rarely watch both films and TV, but really, I'd rather watch movies.
..()_()
.(o - o) /\
...|.....\/...\
...|......\vvv\
...|.)|.)(..)===<<<
You are 2.8% Evil.
You are 17.9% Lawful.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:07 am

Well, TV has a lot of gems nowadays, but there's a lot of garbage on TV. At least movies have a wider range of areas to explore. So it makes sense to me.
My Last.FM and RYM

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:09 am

Oceasia wrote:I rarely watch both films and TV, but really, I'd rather watch movies.

The problem with TV shows is it takes a LOT to go through an entire series. Especially with 5+ seasons. So they're a slow crawl compared to movies. Well, in a, you have 9+ hours of show to watch over an hour 1 1/2 movie kinda crawl, though that can certainly lead to some great entertainment.
My Last.FM and RYM

IisraelL
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby IisraelL » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:10 am

Oceasia wrote:

I've watched a lot of movies on your list, and i agree with you.
Though, of any mainstream movies, i actually never watched the LOTR trilogy. Any recommendations, anyone?

I personally don't like LOTR, but most people do and I think you'll most likely like it.

Oceasia
Negotiator

Postby Oceasia » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:11 am

IisraelL wrote:
Oceasia wrote:I've watched a lot of movies on your list, and i agree with you.

I personally don't like LOTR, but most people do and I think you'll most likely like it.

Well, i watched Desolation of Smaug and loved it. So i guess i'll love the original trilogy as well.
..()_()
.(o - o) /\
...|.....\/...\
...|......\vvv\
...|.)|.)(..)===<<<
You are 2.8% Evil.
You are 17.9% Lawful.

IisraelL
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby IisraelL » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:13 am

Corrian wrote:
Oceasia wrote:I rarely watch both films and TV, but really, I'd rather watch movies.

The problem with TV shows is it takes a LOT to go through an entire series. Especially with 5+ seasons. So they're a slow crawl compared to movies. Well, in a, you have 9+ hours of show to watch over an hour 1 1/2 movie kinda crawl, though that can certainly lead to some great entertainment.

That's why I usually limit the amount of shows I watch according to the amount of episodes they have.
For example- I wouldn't start watching One Piece because it has like 700 episodes now.

IisraelL
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby IisraelL » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:15 am

Oceasia wrote:
IisraelL wrote:I personally don't like LOTR, but most people do and I think you'll most likely like it.

Well, i watched Desolation of Smaug and loved it. So i guess i'll love the original trilogy as well.

Then you'll probably like it.

I don't know, I never liked a single Peter Jackson film very much. His King Kong was okay I guess but I never found LOTR or the Hobbit interesting.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction