NATION

PASSWORD

Congresional GOP get hiiiiiigh on state's rights!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Are GOP leaders going to legalize marijuana at the federal level as a state's rights triumph?

Um....yeah. Okay. Wait. What? Yeah. I mean yes.
13%
No. I dunno. Dude....huh?
25%
They are simply bowing to increasingly clear public opinion, and they've lost this one.
20%
This is all part of a plan to get Marco Rubio blitzed out of his mind on Hawaiian Trainwreck so he's nice and relaxed when we normalize relations with Cuba. He'll be fine.
43%

Total votes : 40

Eleanor Ritas
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Congresional GOP get hiiiiiigh on state's rights!

Postby Eleanor Ritas » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:14 pm

So, with a lot of help from Republicans, a recent US spending bill was crafted such that the Federal prosecutors can't use any funds to prosecute medical users in states that have medical cannabis. (They can still go all freaky deaky black on black MP5 rappel through the ceiling batshit crazy on traffickers, money launders, etc).

But if you be tokin' the medicinal ganj with the permission of your state, the GOP controlled congress has now signaled that Obama's instruction to Federal prosecutors to back the fuck up on medical marijuana users at the state level is basically something that they can agree on, because state's rights and shit.

The head of the DEA (an Obama appointee, although she may have been an "acting" holdover the Bush years) is throwing a total shitfit about it, and some in congress are openly calling for her resignation. She's not on the same page as the people who got her the job or even the people who hate the people who got her the job. I think she'll be on the consulting circuit sooner than she planned.

But what do you think NSG?

If even the GOP is down with the weed (in a very limited and well defined sense), how long until it's just removed as a schedule 1 drug?
Kirby Delauter for General Forum Moderator!

WestRedMaple
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:22 pm

Technically, the federal government lacks any authority to ban it in the first place.

Eleanor Ritas
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eleanor Ritas » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:45 pm

WestRedMaple wrote:Technically, the federal government lacks any authority to ban it in the first place.

This is interesting, please elaborate.

Is your position that the Federal Controlled Substances Act (Title II of a broader act on drugs and such), is not valid to begin with, because it intrudes on states rights and the federal government never had the power to prosecute cannabis in the first place? Or a different reason?

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:48 pm

Eleanor Ritas wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:Technically, the federal government lacks any authority to ban it in the first place.

Is your position that the Federal Controlled Substances Act (Title II of a broader act on drugs and such), is not valid to begin with, because it intrudes on states rights and the federal government never had the power to prosecute cannabis in the first place? Or a different reason?

The Constitution dictates which powers fall under the federal government and which fall under lower levels of government. Such a power was not granted to the federal government.

Dinake
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Dinake » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:51 pm

My guess is that if you asked three different GOP congressmen who voted for this why they did(and they were honest), you would get three different answers. A few might be voting based on principles-state's rights, opposition to drug prohibition, whatever the case may be- a few on wanting to cooperate with the Democrats, a few just don't want to spend money on enforcing it, and the rest want to appeal to youth and think this will help. I think it'll be a while before it's removed from the list of controlled substances though, at least in part because the government just moves slowly, and also partly because the GOP thinks doing that will alienate part of their base in a way that doing this won't.
Catholic traditionalist, anti-capitalist with medievalist/distributist influences, monarchist. The drunk uncle of nationstates. Puppet of Dio. Don't sell the vatican.
Look if you name your child "Reince Priebus" and he ends up as a functionary in an authoritarian regime you only have yourself to blame
-Ross Douthat, reacting to Trump's presumptive nomination.
Darrell Castle 2016!

Eleanor Ritas
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eleanor Ritas » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:55 pm

WestRedMaple wrote:
Eleanor Ritas wrote:

The Constitution dictates which powers fall under the federal government and which fall under lower levels of government. Such a power was not granted to the federal government.

Would you similarly be of the position that no clause, the Commerce Clause nor any other, would grant the federal government power of cannabis, and moreso that they are similarly not authentically empowered to regulate alchohol or tobacco?

Eleanor Ritas
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eleanor Ritas » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:57 pm

Dinake wrote:My guess is that if you asked three different GOP congressmen who voted for this why they did(and they were honest), you would get three different answers. A few might be voting based on principles-state's rights, opposition to drug prohibition, whatever the case may be- a few on wanting to cooperate with the Democrats, a few just don't want to spend money on enforcing it, and the rest want to appeal to youth and think this will help. I think it'll be a while before it's removed from the list of controlled substances though, at least in part because the government just moves slowly, and also partly because the GOP thinks doing that will alienate part of their base in a way that doing this won't.

When you say "a while", would you guess more than 20 years (rough estimate, I know this can't be handicapped with any precision)?

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:58 pm

Dinake wrote:My guess is that if you asked three different GOP congressmen who voted for this why they did(and they were honest), you would get three different answers. A few might be voting based on principles-state's rights, opposition to drug prohibition, whatever the case may be- a few on wanting to cooperate with the Democrats, a few just don't want to spend money on enforcing it, and the rest want to appeal to youth and think this will help. I think it'll be a while before it's removed from the list of controlled substances though, at least in part because the government just moves slowly, and also partly because the GOP thinks doing that will alienate part of their base in a way that doing this won't.

I'm still holding on to the weird fantasy that if a Democratic president is elected after Obama, one of his 'on the way out the door' acts is to reschedule marijuana opening the door for legalization in a broader sense.

This is based on nothing and a disputed power of the presidency (as I've heard people tell me that it both can and cannot be done that way and the one who said 'cannot' was the President himself), so...you know...it's like a lot of fantasies...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Dinake
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Dinake » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:04 pm

Eleanor Ritas wrote:

When you say "a while", would you guess more than 20 years (rough estimate, I know this can't be handicapped with any precision)?

Probably at least that, when the older generation that regards marijuana as being only for weird people who will never contribute anything to society will die off. Even then, I wouldn't be surprised if it stays illegal, but it'll probably be legalized at the state level in more liberal states a lot sooner than that.

Cannot think of a name wrote:

I'm still holding on to the weird fantasy that if a Democratic president is elected after Obama, one of his 'on the way out the door' acts is to reschedule marijuana opening the door for legalization in a broader sense.

This is based on nothing and a disputed power of the presidency (as I've heard people tell me that it both can and cannot be done that way and the one who said 'cannot' was the President himself), so...you know...it's like a lot of fantasies...

Most supreme courts probably wouldn't stand for it, and I don't see that being a priority if the administration does decide to risk it. So yeah, it is like a lot of fantasies.
Catholic traditionalist, anti-capitalist with medievalist/distributist influences, monarchist. The drunk uncle of nationstates. Puppet of Dio. Don't sell the vatican.
Look if you name your child "Reince Priebus" and he ends up as a functionary in an authoritarian regime you only have yourself to blame
-Ross Douthat, reacting to Trump's presumptive nomination.
Darrell Castle 2016!

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:10 pm

Eleanor Ritas wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:

Would you similarly be of the position that no clause, the Commerce Clause nor any other, would grant the federal government power of cannabis, and moreso that they are similarly not authentically empowered to regulate alchohol or tobacco?

I'm interested in hearing about this "power of cannabis"

It's simple, the Constitution is not a long document. Any legal power not granted in it to the federal government is a legal power the federal government does not possess

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:26 pm

WestRedMaple wrote:
Eleanor Ritas wrote:

It's simple, the Constitution is not a long document. Any legal power not granted in it to the federal government is a legal power the federal government does not possess

The Constitution specifically grants the Federal Government the power to regulate any goods or services traded across State borders. Granted, the War on Drugs abuses that clause, but it is there, and it does grant DC at least some authority in the matter.
Last edited by New Chalcedon on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:13 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:

The Constitution specifically grants the Federal Government the power to regulate any goods or services traded across State borders. Granted, the War on Drugs abuses that clause, but it is there, and it does grant DC at least some authority in the matter.

The federal government has been granted authority to regulate interstate commerce. It has not been granted authority to forbid a person from growing marijuana, it has not been granted authority to prevent a person from smoking it or eating it, etc

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:00 pm

WestRedMaple wrote:
Eleanor Ritas wrote:

The power to control interstate and international commerce...
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:16 pm

If they stuck to their principles they would. Really if the President stuck to his principles, and the GOP stuck to their principles then this should be a slam dunk bipartisan move.

I have about zero faith in any of them sticking to their principles on this issue. Too much money involved.

WestRedMaple
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:18 pm

SaintB wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:

The power to control interstate and international commerce...

See above

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:24 pm

A welcome change, I'd say. Still waiting for pot to be fully legal for everyone, without restrictions. And while I wait, I'm gonna light one up. Feel free to join me.
So you decide to open it anyway? What the heck, man?

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:35 pm

Now that they own the national legislature, the GOP no longer have any interest in state's rights.

So now they can put pesky Vermont in its place. How dare they act as if their state had rights.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:37 pm

Good, at least the GOP and the Democrats can agree on something.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Source on this medical marijuana rider.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... t-have-to/
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Maurepas wrote:
I have about zero faith in any of them sticking to their principles on this issue. Too much money involved.

They did and it is already there. It can be refunded in September when the current budget runs out.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:16 pm

In case you are interested the rider was added by Dana Tyrone Rohrabacher, a Republican from California, the one who yelled at dreamer that he would deport her and her family for being illegals.
Barack Obama

The Cold Place
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cold Place » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:23 pm

WestRedMaple wrote:
New Chalcedon wrote:

The federal government has been granted authority to regulate interstate commerce. It has not been granted authority to forbid a person from growing marijuana, it has not been granted authority to prevent a person from smoking it or eating it, etc

The production of marijuana would fall under interstate commerce even if it is not sold in a different state. This is because the marijuana could be sold in a different state, and because a person growing marijuana would not have to buy marijuana from another state. Same with smoking it or edibles.

The Cold Place
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cold Place » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:27 pm

Eleanor Ritas wrote:

I think it will be less than 20 years because having marijuana legal on a state level in both Washington and Colorado makes it more expensive to ban it in other states.

They may also want to detach medical marijuana use from recreational use.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm

The Cold Place wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:

The production of marijuana would fall under interstate commerce even if it is not sold in a different state. This is because the marijuana could be sold in a different state, and because a person growing marijuana would not have to buy marijuana from another state. Same with smoking it or edibles.

Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942) and Gonzales v. Raich (previously [i]Ashcroft v. Raich[i]), 545 U.S. 1 (2005).

In the long term I would like this line of cases revisited, but that is not a good idea now.
Barack Obama

The Cold Place
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cold Place » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:34 pm

greed and death wrote:
The Cold Place wrote:

Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942) and Gonzales v. Raich (previously [i]Ashcroft v. Raich[i]), 545 U.S. 1 (2005).

In the long term I would like this line of cases revisited, but that is not a good idea now.

I think that interstate commerce should deserve its own thread.

I just wanted to point out to the other poster that, whether it should or not, marijuana does fall under interstate commerce.

But back on topic, I do not think that the GOP are supportive of marijuana, as the bill blocks the DC region from legalizing marijuana.
Last edited by The Cold Place on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General