NATION

PASSWORD

The Tripwire (Closed)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Jedoria
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

The Tripwire (Closed)

Postby Jedoria » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:15 pm

The Duke's Hearth,

Strana Mechty, Jedoria

Firmly entrenched behind ancient walls of stone in the center of the capital, the Duke's Hearth was both the home and headquarters of Jedoria's Duke's and Duchess's. Built by King Lurik over a thousand years ago, it's walls had heard everything from statistical discussions and analysis, to prayers and hopeless whispers. But for now, it heard debate, words and phrases bouncing off the walls into the Conference chamber, where the Jedorian head of state conferred with her assorted group of advisers. It was a debate that had been sparked by idle discussion justified by undoubted truth. Jedoria had a potential friend in the Republic of Adiron. Both nations were democracies with liberal tendencies. Both were suspicion of monarchs and dictatorships. Both held a dislike for the theocracy that was the Imperium of Arbites, though understandably it was a more personal feeling for the Adirans.

Separated by an ocean but unified in characteristics, it made sense that the two nations would seek friendly relations. Adiron provided Jedoria with higher level technology and enterprises, and Jedorian petroleum and minerals flowed freely into the Adiran economy. Supported by an existing free trade agreement and mutual interests in regional affairs, the Jedorian government, or at least part of it, had decided that the time was ripe for an upgrade in relations. And what would be more enticing to the Adirans then the possibility of gaining an advantage against their number one enemy, the Arbiters?

"Think about the possibilites!" The Minister of Foreign Affairs said, his voice rising to overcome the idle discussion already going on. "We could cement Adiron as a friend to Jedoria, giving ourselves an ally outside the Belisarian League! A nation untouched by Belisarian troubles or relations! It's an open range!"

"And what happens when Adiron and Arbites go to war, hmm?" Responded the Director of International Relations. "Who do you think they will come asking for help from? They'll demand troops and supplies from us, and suddenly we've got a total war on our hands!"

"The more allies Adiron has, the less the Imperium will want to risk going to war with them. Adding Jedoria to the list of Adiran supporters will decrease the likelihood of conflict breaking out, not increase it!" Maintained the Minister. Before the director could retort, the Secretary of National Defense interjected. "If Arbites and Adiron were to go to war, it's unlikely the Imperium could spare any assets to directly attack Jedoria. It'd be total war, and it's be totally focused on the Republic, not the Confederation."

"What about Peregrino?" Asked the Director of Internal Affairs. "What effect will it have?"

"If anything, establishing an Adiran base on Jedorian soil would increase relations with the island." Said Jedoria's Field Marshall, one Dimitri Vadam. "It will show Peregrino that we are truly comitted to their security, even if truly it's second nature to us."

"What about New Edom? How will they see it?" asked the Treasury Minister. The Minister had spent the last few months fixing the damages from the trade war with the Edomites. He had some success, the influx of Adiran's energy sector and Wielkilasian Investors into Jedoria's oil production had made some of the pains easier to take.

"What will New Edom do?" Asked the Field Marshall. "They know Adiron and Arbites hate each other, but they also know Adiron wants to get them on their side. Does Perrin honestly expect Adiron to go against him?"

"Who gives two shits on what Perrin thinks?" The Duchess finally said. "What I'm concerned about is whether or not this is good for Jedoria."

More dispute broke out until finally, one voice rose above them all, curiously enough, from the Minister of Infrastructure. "Adiron represents a stepping stone for Jedoria. A chance for our Confederation to seek being just another developing nation in Belisaria. If we ally with the Adirans, we step onto their ship and let them take sail. Adiron has survived three wars with the Imperium, even after almost the whole world, minus us, abandoned them. If we fear the Imperium and Edomite response, we might as well close our borders and pray to Gaia that no one comes near us again."

The room fell silent as the rest of the conference slowly absorbed the Minister's words. Some agreed, others shook their heads, but finally the Duchess spoke. "Argetoianu is right. If we just keep fearing what others will do to us, Jedoria is doomed to a miserable existence." She cleared her throat before continuing. "Adiron wants a military presence here. And we want them on our side. It's patently clear what we must do."

And with that, the decision was made. The Council would object but ultimately agree and consent; too much of the Moderate Party was in Vianu's camp. Despite the efforts of some individuals, the proposal would pass, and the Duchess would take Jedoria one step further into the world.

TO: Secretary of State Joseph Deol
SUBJECT: Our relationship
ENCRYPTION: Highest

Dear Secretary,

I hope this letter finds you well. As you are well aware, our two nations have been in discussion for some time now concerning a further development of the relationship between Jedoria and Adiron. Chief among this has been Adiran desire for a military presence in the Confederation, as well as assistance in further military projects that I will not name for the sake of mutual security. As fellow democracies, we are often times alone in this region (and the world, it seems), so it only seems reasonable that Adiron and Jedoria would seek closer ties.

As a result of the above, I am please to inform you that after recent deliberation, the Jedorian Government officially accepts the proposal for an Adiran Naval Air Station to be built in Jedoria, an exact location of which will be decided upon further discussion. To facilitate said discussion, I would like to invite a representative from the Adiran government to Strana Mechty so that we may discuss the details of our arrangement.

I look forward to a friendly and rewarding discussion.

Kind Regards,

Luminita Vianu,
Duchess of the Jedorian Confederation
“We were all of us cogs in a great machine which sometimes rolled forward, nobody knew where, sometimes backwards, nobody knew why.”
― Ernst Toller

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:09 pm

State Department
New Laconia, Adiron

Foreign Policy Advisor Tien intercepted Deol in the hall about the letter from Jedoria sent to his office. "Base approval cleared the Council. They're ready to schedule negotiations."

Tien lingered. "Is that all?" Deol asked, waiting for confirmation.

"No, DoD is making noise," Tien said with a sense of dread. "They don't want us to push the base without also pushing this submarine tripwire idea. Even came up with their own name and acronym already. Tartarian/Occidental Sound Surveillance System. TOSUS."

As the details of that "little project" came back to him, Deol massaged his temples. "Is it essential that we bring it up now?"

"Said that it's one of the Navy's number one priorities. With the growth of Imperial naval power, we need to make sure we can catch them before they get within range of the coast," Tien continued, no happier about it than Deol was.

"It's also a massive undertaking that the Jedorians might not go for. It could even require Council approval, which could set us back another few months, we don't know. Why do we need to raise the issue now?"

"DoD says we might have bases, but our fleets are getting spread out covering all of them. They want to supplement them so we don't stretch our surveillance assets too thin. Otherwise they think our response times could suffer," Tien recounted methodically.

"Float it, don't commit to anything specific," Deol decided. Li was like a bull in a china shop...

TO: Duchess Luminita Vianu
SUBJECT: Basing
ENCRYPTION: Highest

The Republic receives your message with considerable relief and hope for the future. It is through collective security and mutual cooperation that democracy will thrive during these often-troubled times. Isolated, we are vulnerable, so it is natural and prudent that our respective nations would begin to form a partnership.

In that vein, I would also like to take this opportunity to express our gratitude to the Jedorian peacekeepers serving in CPOMCA and CPOMP. This is, after all, not the first time Adiron and Jedoria have cooperated in matters of regional security.

The details of the base and other projects should be discussed in greater detail at a date and location of your convenience. We propose conducting deliberations through our embassy. Ambassador Caro will act with the authority of the Republic in these discussions.

The Republic is looking forward to working with Jedoria to promote regional peace and security.

Regards,
Joseph Deol
Last edited by Hittanryan on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:25 pm

The Duke's Hearth
Strana Mechty, Jedoria

"My Duchess, a reply."

"Let me see the damage." Vianu said, taking the letter from her secretary. She retired to her personal quarters and read through the letter. Taking in the meanings of the words besides their usual connotation, Vianu was pleased to see that Adiron was ready to move forward. The last thing she needed to deal with was more legistlative inquiries, more delays and pointless debates between fools who were somehow lucky enough to be put into a position of power.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the entrance of two men, one of them Jedoria's Field Marshall, the other Minister of Foreign Affairs Andrei Paler. "I mean, how does that cock sucker get the prize? He's started more wars than half the fucking region!" The Field Marshall was saying. They strode up to Vianu's desk, continuing their conversation until she focused her attention on them. "What prize?" She asked. "The Cornellian Peace Prize." Explained Paler. "For some reason Alizeria thinks Perrin deserves it."

"Just goes to show that award doesn't mean shit. Fuck it, why not give it to Jenny T next?" Vadam muttered.

Vianu rolled her eyes and waved her hand dismissively. "Who cares about a pointless medal. We have more important matters on our hands." She placed the letter down in front of the two men, enough so they could see who sent it. "Adiron is ready to begin negotiations. They've already reccomended their ambassador to take part in the discussions."

"Well shit, that was fast." Paler couldn't help but say. "Ambassador Caro, isn' it? I think I met him once. What do you plan on doing?"

"Easiest thing would be to invite him here and work out the details. I imagine a Naval Air Station is going to acquire a lot of funding and personnel."

"Which means it won't be easy to hide." The Field Marshall pointed out. "Speaking of which, what exactly is our release going to be? A lot of nations will find it very..."interesting" that Adiron is constructing a military facility on foreign soil."

The Duchess shrugged. "Give them the truth. What do we have to hide?"

"Nothing, my Duchess," Paler said, "But are we prepared for the response? Port Adrian still is one of Ossoria's largest naval bases; I imagine the High Kingdom might find it surprising to see they have new neighbors on Jedoria's coast."

"And what of the rest of Belisaria? New Edom, the Imperium, the world?" The Field Marshall asked, his voice more curious that accusatory. The Duchess considered their points for a moment before speaking. She sighed and glanced down at the letter before re-focusing on the men before her. Her Field Marhsall in particular gained her attention. She had met Dimitri Vadam shortly after coming into office. It was a rather unusual experience; Vianu was a little known politician suddenly ascending to Jedoria's highest office, and Vadam was the military's surpeme organizer. It didn't help their first meeting that Vianu wasn't entirely comfortable with the defense budget being as large as it was (And still is). But she had warmed up to the man, appreciating Jedoria's highest ranking officer for what he was. It was times like this she needed his council, even if it came with his own brand of bias. No one was free of it, she thought, even herself.
"I doubt the Romans will be enthusiastic, but what will they do? Adiron and LRE aren't on 'poor' terms, even if they don't see eye to eye on things. As for the Imperium, they will bark, surely, but It's irrelevent. We already know who's side were on with regards to them. And New Edom...let Perrin complain. If he wants to drive a stake between himself and DeGroot, when Adiron is trying so hard to get them on their side, it's his loss."

"I thought we agreed none of them mattered when we agreed to this base." She added, glancing at both men. "We did." The Field Marshall agreed. "But even so, our dismissal doesn't stop them from acting."

"Well, we'll just have to be ready." The Duchess concluded, to which both men nodded. Now, a letter to write.

TO: Ambassador Caro, Adiran Embassy
SUBJECT: Meeting
ENCRYPTION: Hand delivered in sealed envelope

Dear Ambassador,

By now, I'm certain your government has informed you of your role in these upcoming talks between the Confederation and the Republic. We are eager to make your acquaintance and would like to invite you to the Duke's Hearth here in Strana Mechty. From there we hope to discuss the parameters of the planned Naval Air Station and necessary details that would need to be worked out. I was hoping sometime this weekend we could hold this meeting; as we both know, our respective jobs are certainly busy, but of a matter of this importance deserves allocated time.
I look forward to our meeting and a productive discussion.

Kind Regards,
Duchess Luminita Vianu,
Confederation of Jedoria

When the Adiran Ambassador could make the time, he would find the Duke's Hearth open to his arrival. Upon entering the structure he and whatever companions he had would be led to the Duchess's office, where Vianu, Vadam, and Paler would await him around a small conference table, complete with necessary items such as pens, paper, and of course, coffee.
“We were all of us cogs in a great machine which sometimes rolled forward, nobody knew where, sometimes backwards, nobody knew why.”
― Ernst Toller

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:29 pm

To: (Foreign Ministries of Jedoria, Rome, Novitera, Hostillia, Ossoria, New Edom, and Peregrino)
CC: Belisarian League, Main office
Subject: Jedorian-Adiran Basing Agreement

As many of you are likely aware by now, the Adiran proposal to build a naval air station in Jedoria has been approved by the High Council. With the process underway, Adiron would like to invite input from the international community in the upcoming discussions. In the interest of cooperation and transparency, this communication is being sent to all parties with interests in the immediate area, including those in Peregrino, bordering or nearby states, parties with existing overseas bases in Jedoria, and the Belisarian League.

The general proposal is for a naval base and air station leased for at least twenty years. Forces permanently based there would include naval patrols, fighter and support aircraft, air defense elements, long-range surveillance systems, and base security. Its facilities would be able to accommodate a carrier battle group and major strategic airlift. The purpose of this base is to provide early-warning capabilities to Adiron and its regional partners regarding threats in the western Tartarian Ocean and Occidental Ocean.

We plan on first discussing some of the finer details regarding construction, infrastructure, and security with the Jedorian government directly, and open the process up to a broader discussion once a more concrete picture of this base is formed. It is the opinion of this government that certain details with potential international impacts, including maritime patrol routes, territorial waters, shipping lanes, air traffic, and electronic security would benefit from your direct input.

The Republic welcomes all dialogue and criticism, and looks forward to hearing from the international community on this subject.

Sincerely,
Joseph Deol
Secretary of State, Republic of Adiron
Last edited by Hittanryan on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ossoria
Envoy

Founded: Sep 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ossoria » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:05 am

To: Secretary of State Joseph Deol
Subject: RE:Jedorian-Adiran Basing Agreement

Secretary Deol,

On behalf of Her Royal Ossorian Majesty, High Queen Tara Silven, I wish to first and foremost express the gratitude of the High Kingdom for the Republic's forthrightness in this matter.

With regards to the plans for the commissioning of an Adiran naval base in Jedoria, the High Kingdom does not currently foresee anything which is likely to cause problems for our two countries, provided that our two military forces agree to and abide by a shared protocol while operating in close proximity for extended periods of time. As I am confident that neither of our governments desires an incident, Her Majesty and I hope that our respective militaries may be able to reach an agreement which is acceptable to both of our governments.

While we have not raised any specific objections to this development, the High Kingdom reserves the right to use any means at our disposal to continue to observe the situation in order to fully ascertain what, if any, impacts this will have to our own operations in the area as the situation develops. Should we determine that an unforeseen issue arises, the High Kingdom will contact your government to discuss the matter.

Fair winds,
Lady Enya Curran
Foreign Secretary of the High Kingdom of Ossoria
The High Kingdom of Ossoria
High Queen Tara Silven

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:55 am

From: Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs for Cornellia Levi Dathan
Encryption: Moderate

Dear Secretary of State,

Thank you for presenting your government's openness on the matter of the base. It delightful to receive this correspondence in advance of the newspapers for a change.

One concern that our government has is the cancellation of a mutual defense treaty in the area between New Edom and Jedoria. While Jedorian troops helpfully took part in the CPO mission to Peregrino, there has been a sense of tension between Jedoria's current government and ours.

In light of this, and in light of recent friendly overtures from the government of Adiron, my government feels somewhat concerned about this issue and would like to recommend that before our entire approval could be given, the matter of tension between the Allied States of New Edom and the Confederation of Jedoria should be at least somewhat settled.

I have the honour to be
Levi Dathan,
Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs for Cornellia
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:01 pm

To: Lady Enya Curran
Subject: RE:Jedorian-Adiran Basing Agreement

It is good to hear that Kenlis does not take serious issue with the proposal. There are many overlapping interests in western Belisaria which the Republic wishes to avoid clashing with. Balancing all of them will be a considerable challenge going forward, so we are grateful that the High Kingdom is amenable to the construction of a base on principle.

The close proximity of your own base was a concern shared by the Navy as well. Without proper communication procedures suitable for close contact between our forces, the risk of misunderstandings and incidents is considerable. The last thing we would want is for lives or materiel to be endangered simply due to miscommunications. Establishing shared protocol would be one of the topics which could be discussed more thoroughly as part of the open forum following the preliminary discussion.

Sincerely,
Joseph Deol

To: Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs for Cornellia Levi Dathan

The Republic is grateful that these concerns were brought to our attention before they developed into anything more. New Edom is one of many nations with interests in western Belisaria, the balance of which Adiron is keen to avoid disturbing especially considering some of the confusion brought about by the situation in Peregrino.

By now our three nations have a history of cooperation in multiple CPO missions, and have in the past demonstrated a commitment to diplomacy. It is therefore this government's opinion that it is entirely possible to resolve any disagreements that might exist in this case through open discussion, negotiation, and compromise, just as your government demonstrated in the resolution of the Peregrino Crisis.

At present, we can only speculate as to the underlying reasons for the tensions between your government and Jedoria. We can certainly attempt to get to the heart of the matter in our own dialogue with Jedoria, and we are also willing to mediate any grievances between your two nations as part of the dialogue regarding the base.

Any insight you may be able to provide us regarding Jedorian-Edomite relations would be appreciated. It would be especially helpful to know New Edom's policy aims with respect to Jedoria, as well as what your government would like to see coming out of Jedoria in the future. From there, we can frame our own dialogue with Duchess Vianu's government in the upcoming talks.

Sincerely,
Joseph Deol

Hostillia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hostillia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:51 pm

From: Most Revered and Learned Imperial Scholar Dong Sung
Encryption: Delivered to Alexander Zhao to Forward to his Government

Salutations to the Administrative Staff of the Little King of Adiron,

We would first like to take this opportunity to congratulate the democratic kingdom in their regionally recognized political, military, and economic significance that has expanded to such a point that they are able, now, to afford the opening of a base here on the Southern Continent which the Middle Kingdom calls home. It is the Will of His Most Divine Majesty to remind the democratic kingdom of the ancient ties between our nations which long ago saw the Middle Kingdom so benevolently bestow culture into an otherwise barren and barbaric island- you have done well with this gift and this progress should be recognized.

I doubt you have heard this story before, Secretary Deol, but if not please request that War Minister Li enlighten you as to its origins, for it is a fascinating tale which I do not know that I can communicate to you fully with ease. You see, long ago there was a village of small size- among the residents there was an old gentleman, wise and wealthy from his the vast fortunes he had acquired over many years. The old man’s neighbor was called Jiu, Jiu was a respectable man but was not especially wealthy. Gradually, more and more individuals, some of means other without but all of them being very foreign to the village and unable to understand its culture, began to buy second homes in the village for it was lovely in the fall. But none bought a spare room from Jiu, perhaps because these newcomers respected his old neighbor. Alas, one day as young man who was very wealthy came to the village- the old man recognized his junior as a man he had invested in many years ago, thus laying the foundation for the man’s current fortune. This wealthy man purchased a room from Jiu, the neighbor, and permitted his herds to graze. But the old man also had herds which needed to graze and, as neighbors, this brought their herds into conflict.

Let us admit that we are not fully understanding of the nature of the relationship between you and the other nations of Cornellia, however, we believe very firmly that our strong historical ties have resulted, most naturally, in a good and harmonious relationship between our two countries. It is out of this good will that we will share what the aforementioned story has taught us- that perhaps if the wealthy young man had made overtures to the established older gentleman they could have avoided the clash that sadly was allowed to characterize their relationship. We do hope that this, and many other parables, will reach your eyes with gladness that you might rejoice at the opportunity to learn. We are eager to hear your thoughts on this parable.

Ten Thousand Years to the Emperor,
Dong Sung, Imperial Scholar
"A book is never a masterpiece: it becomes one. Genius is the talent of a dead man." - Carl Sandburg

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:35 pm

To: Most Revered and Learned Imperial Scholar Dong Sung
Encryption: Passed through Special Envoy Zhao

The Republic would like to take this opportunity to offer its most heartfelt congratulations to His Most Divine Imperial Majesty and the Most Divine Princess Tai Zhen on their upcoming wedding. We know that the Son of Heaven will continue to lead the Middle Kingdom on its present course of prosperity, wisdom, and healing from the lingering scars of the civil war.

If you will indulge a parable of our own, though it could not compare to the aptness of the one selected by the Honorable Scholar, consider the prince who sends his eldest son to study in a distant land, only to be separated for years by the sudden outbreak of a war. The war lasts years, and both hardships and victories change father, son, and the very land itself. The prince's lands in particular see many battles, and the land is ravaged. One day, the father, aged and weary of the world but still of sound mind and body, is greeted by a man in unfamiliar dress with strange customs. The father feels threatened; men of his village have been fighting for decades against outsiders. He wonders, has this man come to take my home or those of my neighbors'?

The strange man suddenly bows deeply and respectfully, and begs forgiveness from his father for his long absence. The father then sees that the man is, in fact, his son, as he sees himself in the man's face. However, the father's apprehension has not abated. Why has his son chosen this time to return? Does he simply seek his father's home? The son explains that he has grown successful, he has passed his examinations, survived the war, and grown wiser with age. He also explains he is building an estate near his hometown and father.

The cynical prince believes he knows what will come next; a presumptuous demand by his son for the land as his birthright. However, this demand never comes. The son instead simply asks if he might see the magistrate about buying the land he desires, the purchase of which will allow more fields of the prince's war-torn lands to be replanted. "What kind of son am I to make demands of my father, who has given me everything?" the son explains. "Though I do have my own desires, I will not forget my father nor the land I come from."

We do not know the exact origins of this parable, it may have been written in Luzhou. However, we believed this story characterizes the situation in which the Middle Kingdom and the Republic find themselves in now. It is precisely because of your possible concerns that the Middle Kingdom was kept appraised of this new development, and is why we will strive to avoid upsetting the balance of power in the land known to outsiders as Belisaria. To use your own parable, rather than compete, we would complement. We are not a wealthy landowner who brings his own flock. Rather, we might be a merchant who would sell the old man feed or bring his own harvests to market, to the benefit of all.

Just as your neighbors in Jedoria have been doing, there are many in the Republic who hope to invest in the Middle Kingdom in a manner which is mutually beneficial. Instead of letting this grow into a rift, let it be an opportunity.

Joseph Deol
Last edited by Hittanryan on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:11 pm

From: Levi Dathan, Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs for Cornellia

Dear Mr. Secretary

During the affair of the Peregrinoan partition, Duchess Vianu had reversed the trend that had been established during the previous government of economic and diplomatic cooperation with New Edom. She has, unjustly to my way of thinking, made veiled remarks about human rights violations (unsubstantiated), and without much justification ended a mutual defense pact with regard to the area of operations between Peregrino and Jedoria.

The intentions of the Jedorian government at this time are unclear, and therefore we are concerned about increasing Jedoria's force projection so near to a New Edomite dependency. We would appreciate hearing at the earliest opportunity what the government of Duchess Vianu has to say on this issue.

I have the honour to be
Levi Dathan,
Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs for Cornellia
Last edited by New Edom on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Hostillia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hostillia » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:08 am

From: Most Revered and Learned Imperial Scholar Dong Sung
Encryption: Passed through Special Envoy Zhao

His Most Divine Majesty acknowledges your celebration of his upcoming marriage, it is proper that the barbarian world should rejoice at this as the Son of Heaven has determined that it is the Will of Heaven, and thus the Will of the Ascended Emperors that he should see to this union- if it is the Will of Heaven, as it must be due to the Emperor’s revelation than this marriage will certainly be fruitful for the entirety of the world, even the darkest regions of Babaria- such as the Imperium. His Divine Majesty is confident this marriage will usher in a new age for the entire world and soon Tianxia will be realized.

We are indeed interested at your parable- we are confident that it is a bastardization of a parable here in the Middle Kingdom that made its way to Luzhou and has been circulated ever since. We believe that it is true that when a parable is introduced to a people it is difficult for the people to understand it fully initially- this is true of all non-Han peoples. After some time the culture will change and morph the parable, especially the portions they are unable to comprehend. Gradually, this changes a parable to an entirely new parable that features entirely new wisdom which is relevant to the culture which it exists in, in this way even a simple parable with a seed of wisdom can provide infinite light to infinite peoples if planted in the right soil- that is the minds of many willing to learn. Thus, we appreciate the parable you have put forth as it demonstrates much about your culture and marks you as a people willing to learn.

We have a similar parable in the Middle Kingdom, told in similar fashion. The father and son separated by conflict and each forced to change to the point that they can scarcely recognize each other, though the son never abandoned filial piety and recognized his position as a son and continued to respect his position as such even after he had become wealthy in his own right. In our parable too we speak of the son who returns to his home to demonstrate this loyalty to his father, albeit his father remains suspicious until he reveals he does not pursue his birthright. Alas, this is where our parables diverge and I believe that it speaks as to the nature of the cultural habits of Luzhou. As our parable continues to discuss how the conflict between father and son was fully resolved.

You see, the son, upon purchasing the land the son did attempt to reconcile himself with his father, and the father to his son. However, there was still mistrust between the household of the father and the household of the son, for long held customs are not easily broken (nor should they be). The son, aware that he was coming into a land that was hardly his own after all this time apart, wisely took the initiative- he looked to his father’s house and saw that some of it was in disarray, the natural result of a home as ancient as the father’s. Immediately he contacted his merchants and together they put together great sums that they might repair the portion of his father’s house home which was less than new and in doing so they rekindled the father’s desire to do business and all parties profited. However, this alone was not enough- the prince needed to build goodwill with the entirety of his father’s household rather than the father himself, and so he found the servants and the children that lived under his father’s home and he offered them grand feasts and new clothes, showing that he truly cared about the subjects of his father’s domain but he did this while acknowledging his father’s capability and responsibility in permitting the gifts, thus he did not become un-filial. Lastly, he used his wealth and foreign techniques to build wells though out the village, this brought water which was good to drink for all the people of the village, both old and new.

You see, with these actions, the son did much to foster goodwill with his father, his father’s household, and the entirety of the village who saw that surely the son was a good man much in his father’s image. Repairing the home of the father that had become undone encouraged the father that his son was savvy in the realms of business and kind in the realms of heart, and so the father was willing to conduct business with his son as an equal rather than a junior and this brought both men much profit. The son gave gifts to the least amongst his father’s house and in doing so demonstrated that he cared about all people, and brought much joy to the household- this demonstrate that he was willing to act against his own economic interests for the good of the commons and proved he had not become corrupted by coin. Lastly, he undertook a heavy duty to build wells and in doing so he revitalized the entirety of the community as the father’s wells provided necessary water for all the inhabitants of the community and all were happy. Finally, to cement good will, the son agreed to never himself, or his permit those under his command, to take up arms against his father- nor would he permit harm come to his father nor his interests if knowledge of such harm was in the son’s possession, in this way he demonstrated he was more than a business partner and friend- he was truly a filial son.

I do not know if this story holds any knowledge for your democratic kingdom and the Most Divine Empire, but I do believe very firmly that there is wisdom in all parables that can be found if we look hard enough. I would like to thank you personally for you extending your parable, I found it very interesting and I hope you find the version told in the Middle Kingdom to be equally enlightening. I invite you to respond with your thoughts on this matter as well as any other thoughts on how your nation may best demonstrate your positive intentions in the area- for even a dragon is naturally weary of bears who wander into their kingdoms in hopes of seizing the forests. We are also open to the concept of allowing limited investment in the Middle Kingdom and would be happy to discuss much in greater detail. We are confident this can be turned into an opportunity to ensure cooperation and gladness.

Imperial Scholar Dong Sung
"A book is never a masterpiece: it becomes one. Genius is the talent of a dead man." - Carl Sandburg

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:39 pm

The Duke's Hearth
Strana Mechty, Jedoria

Vincent Caro was never what one might call a handsome man. He had small eyes set close together, a bent nose, an uninspired haircut, and thin lips. He now sported laugh lines, but with no additional wrinkles they didn't seem to wizen him any in appearance, just dig a pair of trenches across his face. In build he was thin, of perhaps slightly below-average height. Caro's tendency to fidget even while calm made him look distracted, even while focused on negotiations. It had put enough people off that he'd learned how to twirl a pen between his fingers just so he could fidget in an impressive way.

Still, he hadn't been named Ambassador for his looks or habits. The fidgeting belied a restless nature that wasn't satisfied until a job was done and done properly. His appearance or physical ability had never done him any favors, so he'd had to win people over through persuasion alone. Eventually he found himself in politics, and now here he was in Jedoria brokering a base deal.

Caro had always found the Frankenstein's monster that was the architecture of the Duke's Hearth to be a little jarring. The medieval grey brick battlements of the old part of the Hearth clashed with the modern art monolith that was the newer section. Jedorians were always a practical people, however, splicing and adding to things as necessary. Function over form.

This was a preliminary meeting to nail down some specifics and clarify intentions. The foreign observers wouldn't be here for this one, which made sense to Caro seeing how they hadn't even finalized a single thing on paper, not even the location. If the Adirans and Jedorians didn't even know exactly what the base actually was, bringing third parties in at this point would largely be pointless.

"Grand Duchess, Field Marshall, Foreign Minister, good to be here, how are you?" he asked casually before taking advantage of the coffee. "You'll be pleased to know that my government has already made contact with a few of your neighbors to make sure we're not stepping on anybody's toes. We've gotten a few requests, nothing insurmountable I'd say as long as we keep an open mind. The Ossorians were even supportive, all they wanted was observer status when we get to the public talks."

'New Edom and Hostillia, that will be fun,' Caro thought, in contrast to his rosy predictions.

"Now that we've cleared Council approval, I think for the benefit of everyone here I would like to start off by clarifying my government's rationale for seeking this base in full," Caro said, waiting for a response.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:04 pm

The Duke's Hearth,
Strana Mechty, Jedoria

The sayings went "Size does not matter" and "Never judge a book by it's cover". That being said, it was hard to avoid minor slips of judgement that appeared in the minds of the Jedorians who greeted the Adiran ambassador. For one, he was a rather short man. Vadam and and Paler stood at 6' 4" and 6' 3" respectively, while Vianu rose to 5' 10". It took some mental work to avoid looking directly down at the man when the Confederate's greeted the Adiran. Nevertheless, all three shook his hand firmly (weak hand shakes were for pussies and communists).

"Welcome Ambassador, I hope your trip here was pleasant." The Duchess began, inviting Caro and her compatriots to take their seats at the small conference table the Jedorians had bought from Ikea 30 minutes ago had set up for special occasions such as this. The smooth gray surface seemed to fit with the rather colorless walls and ceilings around them; it was almost as though Jedorian's weren't all that great on home decorating.

"That's certainly good to hear," Said Paler, commenting on the Adiran informing of the Confederation's neighbors. "Certainly better than our plan to send them a postcard 3 months after construction was complete." He added with a small smile.

"We understand that the construction of a Naval Air Station isn't something you do every weekend, so we thought it best to explain in depth why the current administration was so willing to except it, Council hesitation aside." Vadam added.

"You and I both know the threat the Imperium poses to peace in Cornellia," Vianu said, her tone serious and meeting Caro's eyes. "Some others may not, unfortunately our allies in the Belisarian League are not in full agreement with us. to be completely honest, the League hasn't exactly had the most impressive record recently." She settled into her chair and sighed. "This whole mess in Azurlavai, the chaos, the fighting, and now we have three hundred dead Jedorians and who knows how many innocent souls."

"Adiron and Jedoria share many similar interests, Ambassador." Paler picked up. "We follow similar principles in government, we both know what the Arbiters are capable of, what foolish leaders from outside our region may occasionally do with disastrous results, and I think I speak for all of us present, including President DeGroot when we're not exactly comfortable that so much of the region's power is held by people who got into their position just by being born out of the right womb."

"I'm not of course suggesting we suddenly form some kind of democracy-only club, but it doesn't make a damn bit of sense why we wouldn't cooperate, not just for the betterment of ourselves, but the people of Cornellia too."

"The Imperium had gained far too much in recent months, even if they've shot themselves in the foot along the way sometimes. Someone needs to tilt the balance in the favor of non-crazy fuckers, and I believe that should be us."

"But of course, we're happy to hear your own thoughts and those of your government on the matter."
― Ernst Toller

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:33 pm

The Duke's Hearth,
Strana Mechty, Jedoria

Caro listened to the Duchess explain things in terms of principle, which he generally agreed with. Containment was his government's line after all, and the Imperium had just committed what some Adirans were already calling a crime against humanity in Azurlavai. Time to start fencing them in.

"It is good to hear your government shares Adiron's commitment to democratic principles and appreciates the need to curb the single most dangerous threat to international stability in the former Cornellian Empire," Caro replied. "In the wake of the October 25 Massacre committed by the Imperial Navy, we may be poised for international opinion to finally turn decisively againt the Imperium. Some argue that the Imperium is Ceti's problem, but here they've committed one of the worst war crimes in recent memory...in Belisaria."

"Now, I believe I should share the strategic concerns which led us to propose this base," Caro said. "Since the end of the last war, the Imperium has been steadily developing its naval capabilities in terms of hardware, strategy, and force projection, with which the Republic is working to keep pace. We put a base in Eos, they put one in East Klamath, we put one in Draconia, they put one in Damoclea, etc. We develop drone carriers, they develop asymmetric cruise missile platforms. You get the picture."

"In previous wars, ground and air forces in the Burnt Hills Plateau have been the main focus of all combat operations, with the coast being largely secure. For our part, the Navy was concerned largely with safeguarding overseas trade."

"All analyses by the intelligence community and the Joint Chiefs have suggested this will not be the case going forward. Their projections are that any future conflict will likely see significant naval threats employed by the Imperium designed to attack the west coast. The Adiran seaboard is home to over sixty percent of the nation's population, that's 135 million people. All of our largest international ports are there, and it's home to countless manufacturing and agricultural centers. The coast is the economic backbone of the entire nation, and a critical strategic asset."

"A successful Imperial attack on the coast or even on a single coastal city such as Puerto Rojo or Isidium is therefore intolerable. Analysts have thus identified the Occidental Ocean as an essential theater in any future conflict. The role this proposed base would play in such a scenario is fundamentally defensive in nature: intercepting threats to the coast while providing early-warning capabilities in Belisaria."

"Outside of a war, a base in Jedoria would also allow us to better support peacekeeping operations in Belisaria; the CPO Mission to Azurlavai looks like it very well could be a long-term commitment."

"Do any of you have any thoughts on these matters?"

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:18 am

The Duke's Hearth,
Strana Mechty, Jedoria

The Imperium's missile strike against Azurlavai had sent shock waves throughout the region, and were patently felt in Jedoria. The argument that the Imperium could be restricted to Ceti was thrown out the window. The trio of Jedorians listened keenly in on the Adiran's speech, taking note of what was said and the implications. 135 million Adirans lived on or near the coast, more than Jedoria's entire population of 107 million. Combined with ports and industrial production it only made sense for the Republic to want to defend it.

The idea of another war between Adiron and the Imperium was a disturbing one given the losses from the last war, but the Jedorians deep down understood that it was quite likely inevitable. It would be more than a Ceti affair. It would likely bring the whole region to war.

But there was more to this base than war, as Caro was sure to mention. For the Jedorians this was the prefect opportunity to cement Adiron as an ally to the Confederation, perhaps not officially but in the sense that everyone understood it. As Jedoria cemented ties with Shalum, Hostillia, Wielkilas and now Adiron, the Confederation had a solid group of friends they could call upon.

"...the CPO Mission to Azurlavai looks like it very well could be a long-term commitment."

The statement caused Vianu to pause for a few moments while she realized the the Adiran ambassador wasn't totally aware of what the Shalumnites were planning on doing in Azurlavai, and what Jedoria was planning on supporting. Even so, Caro's point stood, and the Duchess nodded in agreement. They would learn soon enough.

"It's clear to me why this base is important to us both. I'm pleased that our goals coincide so clearly, it makes this whole process so much easier."

Paler took the chance to move the conversation along. "Ambassador, earlier you said that your government had received replies from some of our neighbors regarding their concerns about the base. We did expect such comments, and we were hoping we could settle any issues that might've arisen."
― Ernst Toller

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:43 pm

The Duke's Hearth,
Strana Mechty, Jedoria

Agreed on general principles, the Duchess decided to advance the discussion to the question of neighbors. Caro had been largely prepared to make a case for all of the concerns, but started off softballing it. "Like I said, the Ossorians seem fine with the idea, they just want to send an observer to the public talks. No response from the League, nothing from Avantine or Constantinople. They'd better speak now or forever hold their peace."

"Where we have received concerns are from New Edom and Hostillia. I think I'll start off with the Edomites, who it seems haven't forgotten that diplomatic spat during the Peregrino Crisis. In a recent communication, they expressed concerns over the cancellation of the Edomite-Jedorian mutual defense pact, which they view as abrupt and without basis. They said this has led to confusion as to your government's intentions with regard to their own."

"However, they apparently trust us enough to try to smooth things over with you. Apparently the higher-ups in Fineberg are less concerned about our presence near Peregrino than Edomite-Jedorian relations overall. If we can patch things up, Fineberg suggested the base would be met with full approval from their end of things. So, if you wouldn't mind me making my case for reconciliation, I think I'd like to start off by giving our government's assessment of New Edom first."

"Privately, there a prevailing strain of thought in the State Department that states New Edom is trying to play both sides in Ceti, get the best of both worlds: military aid from the Imperium, development aid from Adiron, and coax it out of either side by threatening to go fully over to the other. The Imperium can throw its military weight behind New Edom at the drop of a hat, seeing how they don't have to worry about, you know, an elected legislature or even public opinion. On the other hand, Adiron can offer New Edom education, healthcare, finance, technology, and direct aid necessary to keep the economic growth and recovery process going that sustains Pahath-Moab's power base. The Imperium lacks the expertise and doesn't necessarily give a shit about the "proles" or the means to improve their lives."

"So, while in some respects it might seem like New Edom is an Imperial ally, we do not believe this is some deep-seated moral conviction but rather a calculated, pragmatic decision on their part. Despite being a bit rough around the edges, it is the opinion of the State Department that New Edom is a rational actor on the international stage, motivated by self-interest despite occasionally appearing ideologically motivated...which you have had some experience with, as I recall," Caro said.

"Let's take this ETC matter you had to deal with. Yes, the Interim Government stood by Prophet Under's condemnation of your "persecution" of the ETC, which we both know is bullshit," he said passively. "The State Department has an explanation for that. What you have to bear in mind is how powerful the ETC was as recently as 2013. Prior to the Civil War, the ETC was arguably the best-organized interest group in the Touchstone government. That's how New Edom got stuck with legislation like compulsory nudity and the Morality Act, despite both rubbing so many the wrong way. Their militias comprised a significant military force during the civil war; they were well-equipped and operated practically outside the Edomite military's chain of command. They were strong enough to prevent monarchist-aligned military forces from solidifying their control of Fineberg following their coup d'etat, and secured Glasstower from an Anarchist insurgency."

"So, on the one hand, treading too heavily on the ETC is risky, so you have Pahath-Moab backing up some moldy old prophet. On the other, you have...this," he said, pulling up an article with a photo of three shaved, naked figures swinging from the gallows. "The figure in the center is Elder Brother Eidolon, a prominent militia commander who secured Glasstower from the Anarchists and considered a hero among the ETC. Apparently he was found guilty of war crimes; his forces made use of child soldiers and were abusive towards civilian populations. Probably more importantly, he tried to maintain the independence of the ETC militia, subverting efforts to bring them fully under the Edomite military's chain of command."

"It's a delicate line Pahath-Moab has to walk, placating elements of radical groups that he can control while steadily declawing them and reducing the risk of civil unrest. The power of the ETC has actually declined significantly, with most militias being disbanded, brought under direct military control, or being partially disarmed and relegated to law enforcement. Supporting Under's hunger strike was less about Jedoria per se than about maintaining order domestically."

"Then there's Peregrino. As a member of CPOMP, I'm sure you're aware of the details, but it's worth pointing out that the mediated settlement appears to be holding so far, with the island partitioned into an Edomite territory and independent administration, the border and refugee movements being overseen by the CPO. Ultimately they were willing to negotiate in good faith, and some of their concerns turned out to be justified..." he said, pulling up another photo on his phone.

This one was a gruesome scene of half-rotted bodies impaled lengthwise through the fundament. A pair of soldiers in BDUs could be seen with their backs to the camera. "I don't know if you've been keeping up with the war crimes investigations into Peregrino, but this photo was taken by Adiran troops en route to the ceasefire line in Cornice, in PIF territory. The PIF maintains that these excesses were perpetrated as acts of mob justice, but ultimately it appears the Edomites' claims of abuses and reprisals against their supporters are substantiated by evidence collected by neutral peacekeeping forces."

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:56 am

The Duke's Hearth,
Strana Mechty, Jedoria

The Duchess and her compatriots listened intently and politely to the Adiran's explanation. It typical Adiran fashion, Caro explained the situation and the Adiran view of it. There were several points the Duchess could not contest, others she agreed with, and still more she found interesting.

Once finished, Vianu responded. "You make several undeniable points Ambassador, and I can see why dealing with New Edom has been so difficult for the Republic. Concerning the ETC and the Prophet, you have a valid point, however it still is the opinion of this government that Fineberg continuously made demands without offering anything but self-serving offers. I understand that the situation concerning the ETC and the Interim Government has been dicey, but the fact that the Edomite Government outright refused to offer us any sort of assistance in this matter was rather troubling." Vianu leaned back in her chair. "Well, unless you count inserting the Council Police into Jedoria as helping. But I think we both know why we turned that offer down."

"Please understand ambassador this was quite a troubling time for us. The situation in Azurlavai seemed to be worsening, we had Shraileeni and Ossorian head butting in the western part of our continent, fighting in Peregrino had broken out, and now religious tensions that we thought had been suppressed were resurfacing, our own citizens, Christian and Gaia's Followers, were being killed. And we couldn't just solve that problem with a snap of our fingers."

"Even so, the real icing on the proverbial cake actually had to do with Peregrino itself." Vianu continued, as she herself pulled out files and pictures of her own.

"During the discussion for Mediation, we were informed by the Nalayans that Jedoria was to hold the discussions, as per the copy of the letter we received." (Message)

"However, we then did not receive any updates on our selection until this was sent to us. (Message)

No one had informed us that we were being accused of bias, but at the insistence of several parties we were being supplemented by Callaban. The fact that the discussions took place in Callaban isn't a concern to us, what is disturbing is that we were not informed that the Edomites did not approve of us as a venue."

"And as you recall, the Adiran Task Force sent to Peregrino was turned away by the Edomite Governor even though the CPO mission had been approved. We sent this message to the New Edomite Government in the hopes of being informed on the situation, and we were met by silence."

"You must understand what this seemed like to us. After having demand after demand shoved down our throats by the Edomites that we take care of our problems without offering any sort of real assistance, they suddenly refuse to communicate with us as well. If that's how you treat another nation-state that up until then was friendly, well..."

Vianu leaned back into her chair and sighed. "My predecessor believed allying with New Edom was the best thing for Jedoria to do. I disagree, and recent events have only cemented that."
"But the truth is ambassador, we want nothing to do with New Edom. Yes, we'll trade. We'll set boundaries and agree to respect them. But that's it. Fineberg doesn't matter to us anymore. What matters is stabilizing Azurlavai, reinforcing our ties with Wielkilas, Adiron and Laudine and ensuring prosperity and security for our allies in the Belisarian League. The cat's out of the bag; that's our foreign policy in a nutshell. Sorry if it's not grandiose or ambitious enough, we're not exactly a regional power here in Jedoria."

"As for Novitera, I don't see why they would oppose it. And the Romans, well, who gives a fuck. Roman foreign policy and actions haven't always made sense to us. And Hostillia, well, I'm sure we can work that out. Jedorian-Hostillian relations have been improving since Dragan was in office, whatever issues they may have I'm sure we can work out."
― Ernst Toller

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:31 pm

The Duke's Hearth,
Strana Mechty, Jedoria

"With respect to the Council Police, we maintain that was still all part of that same balancing act. It was politics, Duchess, plain and simple. Martyrs would have made a hell of a rallying point for the ETC against the Interim Government if it looked like Pahath-Moab wasn't treating the deaths of ETC members abroad seriously. The Boy General didn't want your favorite Prophet to get leverage over him," Caro explained wryly. "On some level that offer of Council Police support may have even been genuine; for the sake of his government's stability Pahath-Moab had to look like he was pulling out all the stops, even if he knew you'd refuse. I wouldn't treat this as genuine demands or threats so much as a spectacle for the cameras."

Vianu then brought up issues over Peregrino. "I remember the atmosphere of the Peregrino Crisis, Duchess, I do," Caro replied gravely. "There were concerns that New Edom would simply crush the PIF and use it as an excuse to suppress all opposition to Edomite policy. An Edomite crackdown, by the State Department's estimates, would have likely forced the PIF underground and caused a protracted insurgency. As we've seen in places such as Arcologia and Azurlavai, those sorts of asymmetric threats have a tendency to spread. Terrorism, piracy, abductions, not a pretty picture for western Belisaria. Those kinds of groups also aren't so big on allowing humanitarian relief efforts to pass unmolested."

"That's why we pushed for mediation. That's why we adopted a policy of neutrality and pursued options through the CPO," he said definitively.

Vianu leaned back into her chair and sighed. "My predecessor believed allying with New Edom was the best thing for Jedoria to do. I disagree, and recent events have only cemented that."

Caro sighed. "Yes, but why? Why was the defense pact rescinded with no advance notice or explanation? The rationale and execution of that decision matters a great deal here, especially considering the Edomites still aren't exactly sure why it happened," Caro explained. "In fact that's what they want from us, to get some kind of explanation and resolve whatever policy dispute led to the decision. They don't even necessarily want the agreement reinstated, just to determine your government's intentions."

Leaning forward, Caro elaborated. "We heard this straight from the horse's mouth, for what it's worth. When the President met with Pahath-Moab, they spoke about Jedoria. The General himself specifically cited the manner in which the defense pact was cancelled as the reason for his opposition to Jedoria as a venue. Since no real explanation was given, the Edomites were left to guess at your government's intentions, and had to take worst-case scenarios into account. Pahath-Moab was forced to consider the possibility that Jedoria was no longer neutral over Peregrino."

"Those Edomite diplomatic snubs were made at the height of the Peregrino Crisis while everyone's blood was up. Really if you think about it though, the venue of the conference did not hold nearly as much political significance as the selection of the conference's hosts, the Nalayans. Edomite allies who also voted for mediation in Peregrino."

"Since then, Jedoria has proven a reliable contributor to the CPO Mission to Peregrino (especially compared with say, Ghant). In mediation the Edomites agreed to a partition of the island which they had ultimately been legally ceded by the Romans. The challenges of the previous conflict have been replaced by an entire new set of challenges, but the immediate crisis has abated," Caro said.

"As things deescalated, New Edom and Jedoria have, albeit indirectly, cooperated, which I think would be helpful to emphasize. If your government really has no concerns about Edomite ambitions, perhaps it might be time to let this tit-for-tat go?"

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:02 pm

The Duke's Hearth,
Strana Mechty, Jedoria

There were a few things that differed between Jedorians and Adirans. Adiron's citizens came from all walks of life, from every culture, very different from the by now largely homogenous Jedorians. Far less likely to jump to conclusions, and though both were reserved, for an Adiran that was innate from having survived so many conflicts since the Civil War, for Jedorians, it had it's basis in a much more malevolent state of mind. Scheming, looking for ways to get the upper hand without risking too much harm to self. Some called it cowardly. Jedorians called it "playing it smart."

"It was politics, Duchess, plain and simple. Martyrs would have made a hell of a rallying point for the ETC against the Interim Government if it looked like Pahath-Moab wasn't treating the deaths of ETC members abroad seriously. The Boy General didn't want your favorite Prophet to get leverage over him," Caro explained wryly.

Caro's statement was undoubtedly true, but it caused the Duchess (and indeed her assistants as well) to pause for a moment. Therein lay the fundamental reason for a significant portion of the disagreements between the Confederation and the Allied States. Apart from the NCC and their ruffians, when was the last time Jedorian Government had faced internal discontent? When was the last time the Conferdation had to worry about factions vying for power, and the troubles that came alongside that? Vianu remembered, as did Paler, as did Vadam, as did many Jedorians. But those days were long gone, 20 years ago to be exact.

"I can't claim to know what the Edomites were thinking Ambassador," she admitted, "So I must lend credence to your point. As for the cancellation..."

Vianu paused, mentally deciding between the truth or more political maneuvering, more ways to avoid the blame. But she couldn't, not against someone she wanted to be a friend.
"The fact is Mr. Caro, is that I was enjoying retirement quite well until my predecessor decided that killing himself was better than facing up to his mistakes. My past is political, yes, but I was a Council Member an only minorly significant province in Jedoria. The sole reason I'm sitting here talking to you now is because I was the least objectionable solution."

Vianu sighed, almost sadly continued. "The truth is if I could go back and do it again, I would've done it differently. Maybe I would've talked more, maybe I would call out the Edomites in a less, sudden, manner. I can't say I acted in complete certainty, nor can I say it was a wise choice. At the time, we, and indeed I myself, felt that since the Edomites didn't want to talk to us, we didn't need to talk to them. It was a spur-of-the-moment decision made by a nation that likes to think itself more powerful than it actually is. I suppose Jedorians are similar to Nekulturnyans in more than just ethnicity."

Vianu couldn't help but chuckle slightly at the mention of Ghant's 'contributions' to Perengrino. "Ambassador, if there's one thing you, I, and the Boy General can agree on, it's that the Ghantar are an odd folk. As for your final point...yes, you are correct. I think you can understand why I'm not eager to get on one knee and beg for forgivness from the Edomites. Nevertheless, yes, it is time to let bygones by bygones."

Once satisfied that the issue had been settled, she moved on. "So, I'm assume I'm correct in saying we should move on to the real reason we're here? A Naval Air Station isn't going to build itself."
Last edited by Jedoria on Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
― Ernst Toller

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:39 pm

The Duke's Hearth,
Strana Mechty, Jedoria

"The Edomites may appreciate honesty," Caro said. "The Hostillians, less so. They contacted us and in their usual indirect fashion expressed concern over the growth of our influence so close to their borders. However, in their correspondence they asked for something we were already looking into: they want foreign direct investment, and Adiran companies have identified the slowly-opening "Middle Kingdom" as an important emerging market. 300 million people who need everything from survival necessities to work to luxuries. Nothing to sneeze at. Hopefully, that will make them happy."

Moving on to the subject of the base, Caro shuffled some papers and started working through the base itself. "I suppose we'll have to touch on geography first: the Navy wants a sizable deepwater harbor. In the event of conflict in the Occidental, they want it to be deep enough to accommodate a Kraken-class supercarrier and spacious enough for a carrier group to put in. As of right now the Joint Chiefs don't plan on permanently stationing a carrier group in Jedoria."

"Naval facilities would include docks, refueling and rearming facilities, storage, barracks and residential buildings, some administrative buildings, and associated infrastructure. Our governments at a later date could work out things such as patrols, sea lanes, and the like. Not really a job for us, or for right now before we even decide where to put it. I understood there were a few sites your government identified as possibilities?"

Once he had an answer, Caro moved on. "The airbase would need a runway capable of accommodating strategic airlifters and strategic bombers, as we discussed. If it has a runway that long, as I understand it, it should be able to handle all of our carrier-based aircraft as well. It would also need associated facilities: hangars of appropriate sizes, radar, storage space, administrative and air control buildings, adequate tarmac space. The exact figures are something for people who are actually qualified to work out."

"In peacetime the Air Force said the vast majority of missions flown out of the base would be surveillance, which is ultimately the primary purpose for installing this facility. UAVs, AWACS, maritime patrol craft," Caro was explaining, before shuffling his papers around. "Uh, you'll have to excuse me, Duchess. The base will also operate its own coastal defense radars, but it seems I've misplaced exactly who would be operating them. Navy or Air Force."

"Supplementing the guided missile destroyers stationed in Jedoria permanently will be a full air defense regiment, three batteries of twelve Hive surface-to-air missile systems. Originally it was to be a single battery, but the attack on Azurlavai suggested that we ought to be prepared for a massed cruise missile bombardment," Caro said. "Hope that doesn't unsettle you."

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:29 pm

The Duke's Hearth,
Strana Mechty, Jedoria

The Hostillians of course were a special case, needed to be dealt with in a specific manner with the utmost attention to detail. It would be an endeavor to be undertaken with all diligence. The Confederation had plans for Hostillia. Plans for the future that needed to be carried out.

But for now all there that needed to be discussed was with the Adiran, a much more direct people. And at last, they were talking about the most important part of this meeting. The Jedorians listened intently as Caro explained all the details and requirements, and the specifications for the Adiran troops that would be stationed there. Naturally they had prepared for some of this, so with them were several documents of their own concerning establishment of military installations.

"The only thing I find unsettling is the idea that the Imperium's massed missile attack could be repeated." The Duchess said in a measured tone, "But such is the world we live in."
Paler took charge, handing a few papers over to Caro for him to look over. "We identified two major potential areas for construction, there are other options but have their own issues to be worked out. The two forefront suggestions are A, the peninsula of Tharkad, or B, in northern Makos."

"Northern Majos distance wise, the closest to Adiron, even if by a small margin. It was the sight of a planned Naval Base of our own, unfortunately....events transpired that prevented it's construction." That was a fancy way of saying 'We ran out of money and didn't plan ahead'.

"There are large areas of operation more that capable of supporting the construction being planned, however we've identified two downsides for any potential Makos operation. For starters, most of the requirements you've listed would have to be built from the ground up, there's some foundation for a deepwater harbor and some supporting buildings, but it's in need of expansion if it's going to be handling a carrier and what you've listed. The other downside is it's awfully close to the Noviteran coastal border. Given their silence, I'm not sure whether you can expect a warm or cold reception."

"The other primary option is one in the Tharkad province. It's more centrally located. There are pre-existing structures there, including a suitable airfield, a deepwater harbor, along with supporting structures and barracks. It's formerly of the Jedorian Navy, but they've expressed a willingness to transfer it to your control. The only real downside is that it's not far from Port Adrian, the Ossorian base, in fact the proposed location is almost directly south of Port Adrian, which sits on the southern tip of the Makos Peninsula. Working out how patrols and the like would work would require Ossorian involvement. How eager they are to see another nation set up shop so near to their own installation is something we can only theorize on."

The documents Paler offered mostly just provided a more detailed level of information for what he had said; included were population zones of nearby areas, in both cases the Adiran's could expect to be not that far from towns and small cities of a few ten thousand to a hundred thousand.

"Like I mentioned earlier, there are other options, like a sparsely populated area in the Etrian province, but everything would have to be built from the ground up, and the tides there are very unkind. If you would like to know more, I'd be more than happy to inform you."

Vadam took a chance to interject, offering his own questions to Caro. "Mr. Ambassador, if you could enlighten us, how many naval personnel does your Government project as being stationed to the base? By how much would that number increase if a carrier group were to be placed here? And how many guided missile destroyers did you have in mind?" His voice rang with genuine curiosity as the Jedorians awaited a reply.
― Ernst Toller

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:17 pm

The Duke's Hearth,
Strana Mechty, Jedoria

Caro raised his eyebrows when Vadam asked about specific figures. He didn't bother rifling through his papers again, he knew he didn't have all of them. "In peacetime, around 5,000 personnel. If hostilities should break out...difficult to say, depends on how the situation unfolds in the Occidental. I can't even tell you the base's maximum capacity. When I asked, they said they can construct temporary housing as required. Tents, MeshWalls, that sort of thing."

"As far as population increases with a fleet in port, I'm not sure I can really answer that, Field Marshal. Presumably it would depend on how long they're in port; probably they'd be given shore leave if they were going to stay in port longer, maybe not at all for just a stopover or refueling. I do know that a carrier group has thousands of crewmen, so it could be substantial," Caro said. As a consolation he added "I can tell you that the Navy wants one to two destroyer squadrons stationed here permanently, six to twelve ships."

Getting back to the base location, Caro thought for a moment. "It sounds as though North Makos would entail fairly substantial engineering projects to create an artificial harbor," Caro thought out loud. "The less we have to build, the quicker this base can get up and running."

"The Ossorians expressed a willingness to work with us to iron out the details with regard to patrols and such. They weren't opposed on principle to the establishment of a base, though I don't know if they expected us to be quite so close neighbors." Caro didn't know, but the Adiran Navy and the RON had already cooperated in a limited anti-piracy capacity around Arcologia, so there was already precedent for working with them.

"With all that in mind, I have some questions of my own," Caro said. "Why was the project in North Makos abandoned? And was the base in Tharkad going to be closed anyway? Can existing infrastructure support new bases in both sites? I mean power, water, roads, sewer, that sort of thing."

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:39 am

The Duke's Hearth,
Strana Mechty, Jedoria

"I hope you can forgive my curiosity," Vadam said, leaning back in his seat. "Reading the same reports from the same units over and over again can get monotone very quickly. Nevertheless, thank you for the information."

"I'm sure the Ossorians will be flexible with all this." Vianu said assuredly. "Kenlis has no quarrel with your government as far as I'm aware of, and the Gulf of Jedoria is big enough for all of us." That wasn't untrue, but in the modern age of AWACs and extensive surveillance networks, you'd be surprised at how small some things seem.

When Caro brought up his own questions, Vadam took a moment before answering. "The intended installation of northern Makos never got off the ground, largely due to...circumstances beyond our own control. You see-"

"We ran out of money." Vianu interjected, casting a glance at Vadam before focusing on Caro. "My predecessor was keen to modernize Jedoria's armed forces, and in 2007 he began a series of initiatives to expand and develop the Armed Forces into a modern day war machine."

"Dragan began that not realizing, or ignoring, that the budget didn't allow for such an expensive program, and it wasn't until midway through the whole thing that Dragan finally discovered we literally were going to run out of Credits if we tried to see this whole thing through." She didn't mention that Dragan had been revealed that only after a very "enlightening" discussion with the Minister of Finance that resulted in the Minister saying several things to Dragan that are too vulgar to repeat here. That revelation was why Jedoria currently owned the production capabilities to the Dassault Rafale and the Leopard 2A7, but was incapable of producing either on a large scale.

"Well, yes." Vadam admitted. "The Makos Project was abandoned after it became clear the cost of constructing such a facility was beyond what had been allocated to the Naval Department. From what I can recall, the primary harbor was almost entirely finished, as were the roads, but everything else, the power grid, the supporting installations like barracks and administrative centers had yet to begin construction."

"The Tharkad situation is a rather, 'discussion worthy' one, according to our friends in the Navy. Like the Makos Project, it was part of Dragan's expansion, but it was built on already pre-existing facilities and completed before the initiative came to a halt."

"It's a large base, complete with it's own living quarters, airfield, harbor and accompanying facility. Sewage and supporting infrastructure exists, though it might require some additional effort to accommodate the number of vessels and personnel in case of conflict."

"It's official title is Port Helix, but with the opening of Port Adrian, it's significance as declined. Simply put, it's an expensive facility that fills a roll no longer needed. The Navy's been fighting it's closure, and I can't blame them- they sunk a lot of their funding into it and to see it closed by events beyond their control..."

"Offering the base to your government is essentially their only consolation. I doubt they're happy either way, but at least the money isn't being wasted. It's either we close it down, or we downgrade it far beneath it's original capacity."
― Ernst Toller

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:53 pm

The Duke's Hearth,
Strana Mechty, Jedoria

"If we end up leasing a base, you'll turn a money sink into revenue," Caro offered as a consolation. Glancing down at his notes, he was crestfallen when he realized he hadn't gotten to everything just yet. "You'll have to forgive me, Duchess, but the War Department wasn't short on questions. You said Port Helix made use of existing facilities. Which ones? How old are the previously-existing parts of Port Helix? Are the buildings and infrastructure new or are they old with some renovations? Were there any periods with lax maintenance?"

"I'm asking because as tempting as it might be to just make use of existing facilities, it rather heavily depends on the state of the place. We'd really like to avoid rolling brownouts in the middle of a war when the base is at capacity," Caro said gravely. "If 2 years down the line aging infrastructure is going to start wearing out, or if it doesn't have the capacity to support the base, then setting up at Port Helix over the Makos site won't save us much trouble."

"What's stationed at Port Helix now? What was the base's intended purpose and was it supposed to be a major facility? Where is the base's electricity and water coming from and how are the lines?" Caro added.

Jedoria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedoria » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:38 pm

The Duke's Hearth,
Strana Mechty, Jedoria

Vianu knew only slightly of the details of Port Helix, so she turned to Vadam, who quickly filled in. "Helix was originally built in...'95 I think. It was originally just a minor port and repair facility along the coast, but after the Ossorians began assisting us with Naval Modernization, it was selected to be upgraded to accommodate new naval assets. Final works were completed in the summer of 2009, I believe."

"The older buildings are some of the barracks that were renovated during the modernization. I don't think anything remains of the former harbors, it's all been replaced with the deep harbor facilities. The vast majority of Helix, however, is under ten years of age. Roughly 80%, I believe, most of the mess halls, administrative buildings, the hangars and supply depots. The airfield and it's accompanying structures are just as new. Helix was one of the few places where Dragan's efforts were completed."

"The units currently stationed there are the 15th Fighter Squadron at the airfield, which by the way is named Red Heart. The Navy has Task Force C, two frigates, two destroyers, six corvettes, and five subs. Also assigned there is the 4th Tharkadite Guards, around 4,000 personnel. Helix was supposed to be the forefront of Jedoria's Naval strength, being so centrally located, but it simply serves no purpose right now."

Vadam took a second to recall what he knew about Helix's power supply. "Most of it is drawn from Provincial sources, I believe there's an on-base relay station that handles power from a nearby Thermal Power Station. There are several underground water lines that pump in from two desalinization plants within Felix's boundaries. I've yet to hear anything negative regarding either since modernization was completed."
Last edited by Jedoria on Fri May 15, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Ernst Toller

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents