NATION

PASSWORD

Tattoos

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Do you have tattoos? Do you like them?

I like them
27%
I do not like them
20%
I have (a) tattoo(s)
11%
I do not have any tattoos.
42%

Total votes : 255

Wintanceastre
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Tattoos

Postby Wintanceastre » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:35 pm

Tattoo's are a form of body modification, made by inserting indelible ink into the dermis layer of the skin to change the pigment. They have become common and popular in some places around the world, while in other region's of the world they are still taboo and looked down upon. Some people use tattoos for cosmetics (i.e. make up like lipstick) and have even been used for medical identifications, for example Blutgruppentätowierung (SS blood group tattoo) in WWII. What are your views on tattoos? Do you have any?

Personally, I like tattoos. My maternal grandmother is Korean, and she associates tattoos with the Kkangpae and other criminals, so she was shocked when she found out I got a tattoo. I have an om tattoo on my right arm, and I am currently saving to get a tattoo of the Buddha on my left arm.
Last edited by Wintanceastre on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Political Compass
Also Cill Airne
Anglo-Catholic

Conservative

O come, Thou Wisdom, from on high, and order all things far and nigh

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:37 pm

Well, I don't like them and would never get one but it's your choice after all. If a friend of mine gets a tattoo I'll ignore it and carry on with our friendship. However, I do find them unattractive on the opposite gender.
Last edited by Sebastianbourg on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Temujinn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Temujinn » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:42 pm

I have many, I like them.
I find them attractive on the opposite sex.

I do not try to tell people they are scumbags for not having them, please dont try and explain to me why I am scumbag for having them.

I am forty, i got my first tattoo at age fourteen -- no I do not regret any of them.

For the record I am also branded.

EDIT
I had originally written "recorded" not sure what made me do that.
Last edited by Temujinn on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate you.
Yes, I do mean you.
Conserative Morality wrote:Is accusing someone of being a WASP likely to damage their reputation?.... I openly admit that I use it disparagingly. Something about the mentality of the group referred to being rather contrary to American values.
Do you know someone who might be a White Protestant of English ancestry, report them to your block Sargeant CM, and he will drag them before the New House Committee on Un-American Activities. Report your neighbors.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:44 pm

Thinking about getting one when I turn 18.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:44 pm

Temujinn wrote:I have many, I like them.

I do not try to tell people they are scumbags for not having them, please dont try and explain to me why I am scumbag for having them.

I am forty, i got my first tattoo at age fourteen -- no I do not regret any of them.

For the recorded I am also branded.

On a scale of 1-10 how much did it hurt?

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:45 pm

I don't mind them, but I'll never have one as I don't like needles.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Kaztropol
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 30, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kaztropol » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:46 pm

I don't have any tattoos.

Yeah, some of the criminal style tattoos are disturbing. Particularly when there are criminal organisations to which tattoos still have strong meaning. Supposedly, some of those tattoos mean that the wearer has specific skills, and can be called upon to use those skills. Which means, people getting a tattoo that they think looks cool, only to find out that a local organised crime boss thinks they're an expert lockpicker, could find themselves regretting their decision.

Other tattoos, I don't have any real problem with.

I have a slightly dimmer view on tattoo artists. Particularly ones who are willing to put designs onto people, without considering the meaning of that design. Such as the one I mentioned before. An artist willing to put a criminal style tattoo on someone, that's not something I'd endorse.

One of the more curious theories about tattoos is that they are more popular nowadays, as is taking of self portraits, so that intelligence agencies can more readily identify people (or bodies), from their tattoos and selfies. As conspiracy theories go, it's one of the least harmful.

Temujinn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Temujinn » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:50 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:
Temujinn wrote:I have many, I like them.

For the recorded I am also branded.

On a scale of 1-10 how much did it hurt?

The ink or the brands?

The ink barely hurts at all, anyone who cries about tattoo pain is an absolute weakling. My wife has in the inside of her biceps tattoo'd and she feel asleep during that.
Initially you get an irritating burn, like an indian burn, then the endorphines kick in and youre good to go.

The brand I did myself in stages and that hurt, but it hurt mainly because it required concentration on my part so i didnt go too deep. Honestly the feeling of "Zen" from focusing on the task made the pain almost secondary to the concentration on the details.
Last edited by Temujinn on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate you.
Yes, I do mean you.
Conserative Morality wrote:Is accusing someone of being a WASP likely to damage their reputation?.... I openly admit that I use it disparagingly. Something about the mentality of the group referred to being rather contrary to American values.
Do you know someone who might be a White Protestant of English ancestry, report them to your block Sargeant CM, and he will drag them before the New House Committee on Un-American Activities. Report your neighbors.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:55 pm

I have four. All in my back. Want to get a fifth.

So yes, I like them.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Temujinn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Temujinn » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:55 pm

Kaztropol wrote:I don't have any tattoos.

Yeah, some of the criminal style tattoos are disturbing. Particularly when there are criminal organisations to which tattoos still have strong meaning. Supposedly, some of those tattoos mean that the wearer has specific skills, and can be called upon to use those skills. Which means, people getting a tattoo that they think looks cool, only to find out that a local organised crime boss thinks they're an expert lockpicker, could find themselves regretting their decision.

Other tattoos, I don't have any real problem with.

I have a slightly dimmer view on tattoo artists. Particularly ones who are willing to put designs onto people, without considering the meaning of that design. Such as the one I mentioned before. An artist willing to put a criminal style tattoo on someone, that's not something I'd endorse.

One of the more curious theories about tattoos is that they are more popular nowadays, as is taking of self portraits, so that intelligence agencies can more readily identify people (or bodies), from their tattoos and selfies. As conspiracy theories go, it's one of the least harmful.

Criminal tattoos are a language, you cant get 1 and have mistake made. YOu need to have the right tattoos plural for that kind of error, and in that case it wouldnt be an error.

I think a far larger problem are White folks like myself getting "cool" designs that in fact hold religious significance to other cultures, and are often symbols that must be earned.

Back to your criminal element tattoos, criminal tattoo tend to be hide in plain sight tattoos-- I for instance have several tattoos used by the Aryan Brotherhood, and also tattoos used by the Mexican Mafia.
I am a member of neither, and no one would mistake for such by my ink...so long as the person looking was actually AB or XIII.
Last edited by Temujinn on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate you.
Yes, I do mean you.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:11 pm

I wouldn't get one personally but I have nothing against them. If I did get a tattoo it would probably be one based on this album cover.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:16 pm

I've neutral on them. Both my mother and sister have one, and I have many friends stateside with one (or more), but I myself have yet to find anything that I want hanging around until I die.

That and Japan is picky about tattoos. Some of them look great, but I love onsen more...
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014

Postby Insaeldor » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:17 pm

I'm pretty ambivalent towards tattoos. Is get one definetly but I have yet to find something meaningful to put on my body forever.
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Temujinn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Temujinn » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:24 pm

NERVUN wrote:I've neutral on them. Both my mother and sister have one, and I have many friends stateside with one (or more), but I myself have yet to find anything that I want hanging around until I die.

That and Japan is picky about tattoos. Some of them look great, but I love onsen more...

While I am admittedly bigoted towards Nihonjin(sp?), I find it fascinating that a place which is home to such amazing skill at inking, also holds it in such disdain.

IN the West, America is largely responsible for th stigma associated with Tattoos, prior to the 20th century they were not (in the West) considered a mark of criminality, or of low status.
A host of Kings and world leaders were tattood, and it was common among soldiers.

But I digress, its a pity about Japan.
I hate you.
Yes, I do mean you.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:27 pm

Temujinn wrote:
NERVUN wrote:I've neutral on them. Both my mother and sister have one, and I have many friends stateside with one (or more), but I myself have yet to find anything that I want hanging around until I die.

While I am admittedly bigoted towards Nihonjin(sp?), I find it fascinating that a place which is home to such amazing skill at inking, also holds it in such disdain.

IN the West, America is largely responsible for th stigma associated with Tattoos, prior to the 20th century they were not (in the West) considered a mark of criminality, or of low status.
A host of Kings and world leaders were tattood, and it was common among soldiers.

But I digress, its a pity about Japan.

Japan has amazing tattoo art and a history of such which stretches back quite a ways, yes (Indeed, the last Tsar of Russia had a Japanese tattoo)...

But in modern times, those are seen more as a mark of yakuza than anything else.

It has, very slowly, started to change as Japanese youth become more aware of the current fashion for them outside of Japan, but the stigma remains.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Manisdog
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:29 pm

Only sexual deviants get tatoos done, I don't like people with tatoos as they could be anyone from criminals to perverts, honestly they give me the creeps
Last edited by Manisdog on Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:32 pm

Manisdog wrote:Only sexual deviants get tatoos done

... I'm not sure if I should be annoyed or amused at the idea that my mother is a sexual deviant.

It's even more entertaining given she got her first tattoo when she was in her 50s.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:33 pm

I think some tattoos are good when they're nicely done, but I don't have any myself. I have a hard time thinking of something I'd want to have inked on my body for the rest of my life.

Piercings are more my thing.

Manisdog
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:33 pm

NERVUN wrote:

... I'm not sure if I should be annoyed or amused at the idea that my mother is a sexual deviant.

It's even more entertaining given she got her first tattoo when she was in her 50s.

Atleast over here, what i have seen generally the people who get tattos do drugs, have sex with many people and do unspeakable things

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:35 pm

NERVUN wrote:

Wasn't that post trolling? It's basically "all people with tattoos are sexual deviants".

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:36 pm

Manisdog wrote:
NERVUN wrote:... I'm not sure if I should be annoyed or amused at the idea that my mother is a sexual deviant.

Atleast over here, what i have seen generally the people who get tattos do drugs, have sex with many people and do unspeakable things

And I've seen that from people who don't.

And I've seen people with tattoos who do none of the above.

Prejudice is a sad thing.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:36 pm

Dakini wrote:
NERVUN wrote:... I'm not sure if I should be annoyed or amused at the idea that my mother is a sexual deviant.

Wasn't that post trolling? It's basically "all people with tattoos are sexual deviants".

It's already been reported in Moderation, I cannot act as I am active in thread.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:37 pm

Wintanceastre wrote:Tattoo's are a form of body modification, made by inserting indelible ink into the dermis layer of the skin to change the pigment. They have become common and popular in some places around the world, while in other region's of the world they are still taboo and looked down upon. Some people use tattoos for cosmetics (i.e. make up like lipstick) and have even been used for medical identifications, for example Blutgruppentätowierung (SS blood group tattoo) in WWII. What are your views on tattoos? Do you have any?

Personally, I like tattoos. My maternal grandmother is Korean, and she associates tattoos with the Kkangpae and other criminals, so she was shocked when she found out I got a tattoo. I have an om tattoo on my right arm, and I am currently saving to get a tattoo of the Buddha on my left arm.

No.

I do not like tattoos.

The human body is not supposed to be a canvas.

Also, they never look good.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:38 pm

Manisdog wrote:

My mom has a tattoo, thank you very much.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

Kratu
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kratu » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:38 pm

I don't have any and don't plan on doing so, but I don't really care whether or not people have them.
Revolutionary Socialist

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General