NATION

PASSWORD

Donation Suggestion: Customizable page

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Donation Suggestion: Customizable page

Postby Enfaru » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:22 am

At the moment NS offers NationPages (http://www.nationstates.net/nation=Enfaru) with little to no customization. I'd be happy to pay say $5.00 to gain access to be able to customize it using permitted CSS/HTML. Where I could add in my own data, change the layout and make it really special.

I mean, if I could donate to do that to a Regional page (http://www.nationstates.net/region=Sovereign_Charter), I'd be more than willing to do that as well but I think that got shot down by something or other some time ago. I think if it were possible to have a collective regional donation pool so members of the region could contribute there'd be more creativity as there'd (in theory) be a stronger sense of community ownership. I suspect other users might feel the same way and therefore provide more income to upgrade the servers and perhaps pay Violet a little more for a stupendous job. (Violet gets paid right?)
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:14 am

Enfaru wrote:(Violet gets paid right?)

No.

If somebody wants to write a Greasemonkey script or use some other external page customisation tools, that would solve your concerns, right? So rather than having our extremely overworked admin staff tackle a problem that (as far as I know) only one user is having, why don't you encourge a less-busy external scripter to make your changes? You seem to have some technical chops. Try tackling it yourself.

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:56 pm

That doesn't change the view of my page for other people, which is what I want >.>
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:12 pm

Enfaru wrote:That doesn't change the view of my page for other people, which is what I want >.>

I'm way to afraid of the following things:

-wrongly nested HTML tags, majorly fucking up pages, mods/admins needing to clean this up all the time. And since we're not all into web development, we'd just as well do *delete content* after which lots of complaints will happen because player X was making said content while using Internet Explorer 8 and it was working perfectly fine in that! And now it's all gone, while player paid for this possibility. I foresee a lot of headaches here.

-annoying CSS/HTML (even if only a subset is allowed, I can make an eyesore with any colour!)

-more possibilities to sneak in stuff that is obscene, illegal, threatening, malicious, or defamatory (etc.). So it would mean that the mods would need tools to find and delete that shit.

Besides, we'd also get into endless discussions about what CSS/HTML would or would not be permitted.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Hobbesistan
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbesistan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:16 am

I am just saying as a tech person, I could use a CSS/HTML insert to wreak all kinds of havoc.

Like blaat said, abuseable to holy hell for something that isnt really worth it.
Last edited by Hobbesistan on Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hobbes
ra, ra rasputin

(Ret.) Maintainer of the Nationstates FAQ and Deletiger (Ret.) of The East Pacific
russia's greatest

Hobbes is always winning, like Charlie Sheen. - Jurisdictions
love machine

Stop right there (hobbes), your rational thought and intellect will destroy the internet. - Sovreignry
it was a shame how

Giraffes think Hobbes regret a lot. A lot of giraffes do. - Rachel
he carried on.

Return to Technical