NATION

PASSWORD

International Justice System Civil Court [IC]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
International Justice System Admin
Attaché

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

International Justice System Civil Court [IC]

Postby International Justice System Admin » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:37 pm

International Justice System
Civil Court

Welcome to the IJS Civil Courtroom. This is the location where all Civil Court trials and cases take place. While the IJS Administrator has the power to perform maintenance on this courtroom and to keep the information on this court up-to-date, he has no authority other the cases, verdicts, or proceedings of this court.

LEADERSHIP
This courtroom is under the authority of the Chief Justice of the Civil Court. The current Chief Justice of this court is John Spencer from the Kingdom of Cihan.

CURRENT CASES
Wilhelm von Hohenheim of Eddoren vs. Monique D'Aubainne of Naval Monte for Damage Reparations.
Please note that all discussions in this court MUST be in character.
Last edited by International Justice System Admin on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This account is the administrative account for the International Justice System. This account is in no way associated to the Administrative or moderation staff of NationStates.net and thus has no authority outside of the threads in which it is OP.

This account is currently managed by Dragomerian Islands, whom is the founder of the International Justice System.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby International Justice System Admin » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:37 pm

PAST CASES
Libraria and Ausitoria vs. Dragomerian Islands for Bill Payment - Dismissed due to lack of evidence and lack of cooperation from the plaintiff.
Last edited by International Justice System Admin on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This account is the administrative account for the International Justice System. This account is in no way associated to the Administrative or moderation staff of NationStates.net and thus has no authority outside of the threads in which it is OP.

This account is currently managed by Dragomerian Islands, whom is the founder of the International Justice System.

Eddoren
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eddoren » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:26 pm

CASE #001
Libraria and Ausitoria vs. Dragomerian Islands for Bill Payment

Justices Assigned to the Case

Chief Justice Spencer of Cihan
Justice Feeney of Prairie Canada
Justice Marx of Giliberafta
Justice Noguerra of Dalos
Justice Gelinard of Hasgriu
JusticeHakuei Ren of The Kou Empire

Thank you Justices.
IATA Member
Member of The Alliance and current Host of the Alliance Council.
Currently in a State of DEFCON 4

Her Immincance, Grand Master, Adelaide Blackfyre, Grand Master of the Republic of Eddoren, Guild Master of the Seraphim Guild, Protector of the Poor, Guardian of the Heartland, Defender of Justice and Bastion of Security.

Death would come on his ashen horse, taking all those within, all those who breath and utter any kind of word. Death on his ashen horse would ride over Eddoren and silence all within, ending their pain for all eternity and bringing peace and bliss to the realm. Death was coming.

Cihan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cihan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:17 pm

His eminence, Chief Justice John Spencer elected a few days ago by the IJS, was now ready to proceed. He had heard of the court case #1 being brought before his court " Libraria and Ausitoria vs. Dragomerian Islands for Bill Payment" John spencer stood prepared to hear the case. All that was needed was the other justices to assemble and for the gavel to be hammered
His Majesty the King: Ryan I of Cihan
Prime Minister: Houston Adams-Labour
Capital: Wellington
Demonym: Cihanian

Member of the INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE SYSTEM

:PROUD MEMBER OF THE I.C.O.N, JOIN TODAY!:

Prairie Canada
Envoy

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Prairie Canada » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:14 am

The Honorable Henry Lee Feeney, bedecked in his judicial robes, sat down at the bench, to the left of Chief Justice Spencer, of Cihan. Justice Feeney had great respect for Spencer, as a judge and scholar of the law, and was excited to work with him and the other justices. Justice Feeney spoke up and he said "If I may, Chief Justice Spencer, i'd like to remind both the plaintiff and defendant that improper conduct is not allowed in this courtroom. There shall be no smoking, and there shall be, of course, no chewing of tobacco. There shall be no food or drink except the water that is provided to you. Please be polite and respectful. Interjections without approval of the justices on this bench shall not be acknowledged, isn't that correct, Chief Justice Spencer?". Feeney looked at Spencer, and nodded again respectfully, before taking a sip of water
Last edited by Prairie Canada on Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Republic of Hasgriu
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Hasgriu » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:00 pm

Justice Delinorgin Gelinard entered the courtroom right as Justice Henry finished speaking, and sat down on the far right of the bench, observing that three of the justices had not yet arrived. He frowned, and hoped that the trial would not be delayed. He looked at the justices present, Chief Justice John Spencer of Cihan and Justice Henry Lee Feeney of Prairie Canada, and then at the defendant and the plaintiff.
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.13
New Jordslag wrote:Dammit, just realized they have each other's names in their sigs. Yet in my two years of existence nobody quotes what I say... *crawls into corner and cries*
RIP United Kingdom 1707-2016

The Kou Empire
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kou Empire » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:03 pm

Justice Hakuei Ren entered the chamber and took her seat next to the Justice from Hasgriu and noticed the absence of two other Justices. This would be rectified soon enough she imagined as the International Court was less likely to actually post pone a trial. She noted that the Chief Justice was a capable man that she wished would be Just and Fair in his ruling on the matter at hand. She took out a file and reread the case description hoping this wouldn't devolve into some Kangaroo Court.

Cihan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cihan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:02 pm

Chief justice spencer announced to the assembled judges and to te crowd also assembled there, " your excellencies we should proceed. The other judges will be ready as soon as they arrive. Until then we've reached a quorum and I'm hammering the gavel. And as to your questions, my honorable justice, the answer is correct. Those rules are in place. " and with that the case began in its opening statements
Last edited by Cihan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dalos
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalos » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Justice Noguerra walked into the court and took a seat on the left bench. He prepared a glass of water to quench his thirst throughout the court session.

Cihan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cihan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:36 am

Chief Justice spencer knew the time had come, " your excellencies I will give the prosecution time to make a case. Is there any opening statements or evidence or witnesses that the plaintiff or defendant of this case would like to bring forward? After opening statements by the prosecution, the defense will be given the same amount of time to present their opening statements. Or vice versa depending on who would like to present their case first From there cross examination of witnesses and other evidence will be taken before this court. Justices of the bench, you have the authority of this court to find the defendant guilty, however you also must know that a verdict of guilty is one that leaves no reasonable doubt. You must know that any reason why the defendant may not be guilty is reasonable doubt and therefore would be a verdict of not guilty. As presiding officer of this court it is my duty to oversee the evidence and in the case of a tie to be the deciding vote. Is everyone clear on my instructions?"
Last edited by Cihan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:33 am

[OOC: For reasons elsewhere stated, this never happened.]

"Your worship," said Lord Silvus, as the last of the two-hundred and ninety-seven civil servants in train tried to enter the door, "before opening statements, there are two irregularities and three technical matters to resolve and five requirements related to them.
First, I must insist that it be agreed that this is a civil court case, and not a criminal court case; and thus the duty of the bench is merely to decide on a question of law, and reasonable doubt or guilt has nothing to do with it.
Second, I object to the choice of Justices in this case. Some of them have been elected either by the defending nation or by nations admitted to this organization solely by the defending nation, or by nations admitted by nations admitted to this organization solely by the defending nation, and consequently they suffer a conflict of interest. I must therefore insist that my client's party choose an equal number of Justices from amongst the nations affected, and that the most senior Judge be presiding officer. In the meantime on behalf of my client's party I shall assume their position on the bench.
On technical matters, first, this court has not yet decided how it will select what laws it will enforce. This must be made known to us before we can proceed with the debate.
Second, we cannot proceed with the debate without knowing whether the Dragomerean Islands have chosen, since their admission of the fact in the ICON chambers, to dispute the fact that they have launched weapons which have caused damage to Panessos Community infrastructure. If they have, we must insist that the court confine itself to answering our question: 'To what extent is Dragomere liable for costs incurred due to damages caused to Panessos Community infrastructure?' If they dispute that they launched such weapons, we must insist that the court confine itself in the moment to answering our question 'To what extent may a party be liable for costs incurred due to damages?', and we will consider pursuing a criminal request in due course depending on the finding of this court.
Third, what has been called a prosecuting party is in fact a plaintiff, and is the regional government representing a group action on behalf of approximately 190 nations, varying by definition, and this case should be referred to as Panessos Community vs. Dragomerean Islands.
In the event of your justices dismissing these five requirements, your services may no longer be required.
I would have no objection to the justices present adjourning to consider these requirements."
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Cihan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cihan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:10 pm

"As my lord may notice there are no precedents of this court in enforcing the laws of which it is to determine. The issue of whether or not these judges may have conflicting interest is to be brought up not to me but to the secretary of the courts who appointed the judges for this case, as presiding officer I am aware this is a civil court and not a criminal one but if the government of the Dragomenrian islands does dispute this claim then they would have evidence to the contrary and therefore doubt over whether or not they would be liable for damages thus reasonable doubt of the act committed would be needed to enact such a decision by this court to find the defendant liable for the damages of the community in question. And it would also be a recommendation of this court should we find liability in the claim that you have brought before us, that an investigation be taken forth to perhaps file charges in the criminal court of which I have no control over, but I would still in my ruling recommend it to be taken under consideration. Therefore I am willing to hear the evidence that you Lord Sir would be presenting to determine whether or not they are liable for damages, I am sure that if you wish to have this case dismissed on the grounds of conflicting intrest then you may discuss that with the secretary as well. However while I have the floor I am ruling until such a time that I am told otherwise, that this will continue. We will adjourn for the moment and whether or not you wish to continue this case may be discussed by you associates as plaintiff. We of the court are to uphold the decisions that are made and I believe that this court will be unbiased in its decision. So thank you and the court will meet soon thank you." Said Chief Justice John Spencer
Last edited by Cihan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dragomerian Islands
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragomerian Islands » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:42 pm

A man then walked into the room. He wore a white tuxedo with black dragon designs etched into the areas near the edges of the outfit. He also wore black pants with red dragon designs etched into the edges of them. He then asked, "My name is Gretnem Drate', I am representing the Dragomerian Islands during this trial. May I present my opening statement?"
Proud Member of the following Alliances:
International Space Agency
IATA
:Member of the United National Group:
INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE SYSTEM FOUNDER
WAR LEVEL
[]Total War
[]War Declared
[]Conflict
[]Increased Readiness
[x]Peacetime
IMPORTANT NEWS:

None

Cihan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cihan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:45 pm

"The Dragomerian Islands may proceed, if there are no objections, however the plantiff has been given a decision as to accept this court or for the case to be dismissed, I am awaiting their reponse and am also awaiting the decisions from the ijs secretary as to the removal of certain justices on this court for the conflict of interest. However once those decisions are made, then you may proceed." Chief Justice John Spencer spoke.
Last edited by Cihan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cihan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cihan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:47 pm

"To the plaintiff of the case I would like to issue the decision of this court, none of the requests that you have made will be accepted. I will ask that you proceed with the case and this court will now be back in session." John Spencer proclaimed to the court. "Justices, you will take note that I have heard the complaints of the plaintiff in regards to this case but deemed them non negotiable to the trial that is before this honorable court. You will also note that is our responsibility to uphold justice in this case whether it be a civil trial or not. Therefore I ask that you note that your decision whether for or against the defendant will be unbiased and fair. Do I make myself clear to the honorable court? Also the defendant now has the floor. Proceed with your statement Lord Sir."
Last edited by Cihan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragomerian Islands
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dragomerian Islands » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:54 pm

"Thank you your honor."

"During the war with Roski, debris from a blown up space station were used to damage the Roski satellite network above their nation. Afterwards, aw received a bill for damages to an unaffiliated nation not involved in the conflict with Roski. The bill looked more like they were billing us the costs to make a new zoo instead of for repairs to their satellites, but anyways, their bill alleged that some of that debris impacted Libraria and Ausitorian satellites."

"First off, let me clarify that while we did use debris to down Roski satellites, there is no evidence that the debris that downed the Libraria and Ausitorian satellites came from the same origin. Also, there is no proof that any of the debris was caused by the impact with Roski satellites."

"Secondly, their bill was a joke. Half of it was either to pay their workers to do what they should already pay for or for ludicrous charges that do not even belong on a bill of such magnitude."
"I do not know about you all, but I do not believe that paying for the transportation, training, housing ect. of elephants has anything to do with the purpose of the bill, thus since it is included into the bill, we believe that the entire bill should be void, as I am unsure how the court may void only part of it. Those issues in the bill were the only reason why the bill itself was rejected."

*Not sure if now is the right time for evidence yet, but the evidence is there for reference as to the context of my opening statement.
IATA
WAR LEVEL
[]Total War
[]War Declared
[]Conflict
[]Increased Readiness
[x]Peacetime
IMPORTANT NEWS:

None

Cihan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cihan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:08 pm

"Thank you Lord Sir for the evidence presented, however Lord Sir I would like to remind you that what is right and wrong and what is the purpose of the Bill will be in taken by this court and the Lord sir will refrain from entcing this court to the decision that he would find favorable. however I beleieve that we are here to determine what is relevant to be paid and if there are any extra things added to the bill that would be excessive then they should be removed. By doing so, what is fair and what is agreeable to each party can be met. However that is not my decision but a decision that is to be made by the justices of this honorable court. does the honorable sir have any further remarks to make?" Chief Justice John Spencer said to the defendant
Last edited by Cihan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragomerian Islands
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dragomerian Islands » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:13 pm

Cihan wrote:"Thank you Lord Sir for the evidence presented, however Lord Sir I would like to remind you that what is right and wrong and what is the purpose of the Bill will be in taken by this court and the Lord sir will refrain from entcing this court to the decision that he would find favorable. however I beleieve that we are here to determine what is relevant to be paid and if there are any extra things added to the bill that would be excessive then they should be removed. By doing so, what is fair and what is agreeable to each party can be met. However that is not my decision but a decision that is to be made by the justices of this honorable court. does the honorable sir have any further remarks to make?" Chief Justice John Spencer said to the defendant

"No, I shall wait for the Plaintiff's opening statement before stating any more remarks, as there is no further topics of importance to discuss in my opening statement."
IATA
WAR LEVEL
[]Total War
[]War Declared
[]Conflict
[]Increased Readiness
[x]Peacetime
IMPORTANT NEWS:

None

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:13 pm

"We have already told you that is not what we desire this court to discuss. We shall wait until the court is prepared."

The Panessos delegation exited.
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Eddoren
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eddoren » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:"Your worship," said Lord Silvus, as the last of the two-hundred and ninety-seven civil servants in train tried to enter the door, "before opening statements, there are two irregularities and three technical matters to resolve and five requirements related to them.

First, I must insist that it be agreed that this is a civil court case, and not a criminal court case; and thus the duty of the bench is merely to decide on a question of law, and reasonable doubt or guilt has nothing to do with it.

Second, I object to the choice of Justices in this case. Some of them have been elected either by the defending nation or by nations admitted to this organization solely by the defending nation, or by nations admitted by nations admitted to this organization solely by the defending nation, and consequently they suffer a conflict of interest. I must therefore insist that my client's party choose an equal number of Justices from amongst the nations affected, and that the most senior Judge be presiding officer. In the meantime on behalf of my client's party I shall assume their position on the bench.

On technical matters, first, this court has not yet decided how it will select what laws it will enforce. This must be made known to us before we can proceed with the debate.

Second, we cannot proceed with the debate without knowing whether the Dragomerean Islands have chosen, since their admission of the fact in the ICON chambers, to dispute the fact that they have launched weapons which have caused damage to Panessos Community infrastructure. If they have, we must insist that the court confine itself to answering our question: 'To what extent is Dragomere liable for costs incurred due to damages caused to Panessos Community infrastructure?' If they dispute that they launched such weapons, we must insist that the court confine itself in the moment to answering our question 'To what extent may a party be liable for costs incurred due to damages?', and we will consider pursuing a criminal request in due course depending on the finding of this court.

Third, what has been called a prosecuting party is in fact a plaintiff, and is the regional government representing a group action on behalf of approximately 190 nations, varying by definition, and this case should be referred to as Panessos Community vs. Dragomerean Islands.

In the event of your justices dismissing these five requirements, your services may no longer be required.

I would have no objection to the justices present adjourning to consider these requirements."

On behalf of the IJS, I personally reviewed and assigned the Justices to this case. They will stand as the Jury. This is a Civil Court as that is what you asked, thus we are bound by the rules of Civil Court Cases.

We will only accept this as the Panessos Community vs. Dragomerian Islands if we receive confirmation Telegrams from the Leader of the Panessos Community showing evidence that their Region opted to press charges as a Region.
IATA Member
Member of The Alliance and current Host of the Alliance Council.
Currently in a State of DEFCON 4

Her Immincance, Grand Master, Adelaide Blackfyre, Grand Master of the Republic of Eddoren, Guild Master of the Seraphim Guild, Protector of the Poor, Guardian of the Heartland, Defender of Justice and Bastion of Security.

Death would come on his ashen horse, taking all those within, all those who breath and utter any kind of word. Death on his ashen horse would ride over Eddoren and silence all within, ending their pain for all eternity and bringing peace and bliss to the realm. Death was coming.

Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby International Justice System Admin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:26 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:"We have already told you that is not what we desire this court to discuss. We shall wait until the court is prepared."

The Panessos delegation exited.

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:Plaintiff's Name: The Imperial Commonwealth of Libraria and Ausitoria, acting as Prime Minister of The Panessos Community
Defendant's Name: Your leader and founder, The Satellite-destroying Holy Monarchy of the Dragomerian Islands
For what reason do you want to have this trial:
1. To see whether you will stick up for your leader or whether you are capable of holding a proper court.
2. To acquire just and proper compensation for all damages caused by the hazardous space debris created by the defendant without having to assume the functions and jurisdictions of the Dragomerian government. A list of costs incurred and we would have no objection to the items on the list being considered individually. In addition we will expect payment for legal costs.
Which Court do you want to submit this request to:
(read what each court is for before filling this part out)
[ ] Criminal Court
[v] Civil Court (Reparations for Damages)
[ ] Diplomatic Court
Does your nation agree to uphold the laws of the IJS in court proceedings?
[v] Yes
[ ] No

Yes it was, according to your application for a trial. Since you applied for a trial based on reparations of damages, that is the only topic needing to be discussed by the court during this trial.

Cihan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cihan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:37 pm

"Now that reparations of damages has been clarified as the only topic being discussed then we shall proceed as planned. Would that be the wish of the nation of The Panessod Community?" Chief Justice Spencer said.

Prairie Canada
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Prairie Canada » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:32 pm

Justice Feeney interjected, saying

"Lord Silvus, of the Panessian Delegation, please keep in mind that you will discuss what this court discusses, as it is a court of law, and is binding due to your agreement to participate. Your behavior can influence the ruling, whether or not you like that. So I would recommend that you quit making snide and pompous remarks before this good bench".

Picking up his water glass, Justice Feeney quenched his thirst before saying

"Personally, I don't think I have seen enough evidence that the Holy Monarchy of the Dragomerian Islands should be the entity paying damages. I would be interested in seeing if their region, or another alliance, perhaps, has complicity in these events. It would be a disastrous violation of an international standard of living to simply force a whole country to pay out substantial reparations to a whole region or alliance. Furthermore, I have not heard a substantial argument for the claimed damages this space debris has caused"

Cihan
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cihan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:38 am

"Am I to beleieve that case should be dismissed? Justices I beleove I have given the plaintiff ample time present their first case of evidence against the defendant and therfore I am currently of the opinion that the case should be dismissed. Any objections?" Chief Justice spencer said.

Prairie Canada
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Prairie Canada » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:44 am

Cihan wrote:"Am I to beleieve that case should be dismissed? Justices I beleove I have given the plaintiff ample time present their first case of evidence against the defendant and therfore I am currently of the opinion that the case should be dismissed. Any objections?" Chief Justice spencer said.

"I am in favor of dismissing the case. There has not been an ample presentation of facts by the plaintiff, and they have wasted the court's time. I hereby second the Chief Justice's motion for dismissal" replied Henry Lee Feeney.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates