NATION

PASSWORD

Possible ad problem

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Exset
Civil Servant

Founded: Oct 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Possible ad problem

Postby Exset » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:21 pm

I saw an ad right in the middle of The East Pacific's RMB, obscuring it. That happened twice, with two different nations, and it was a different ad each time. Both times were in Chrome, with NS++. I didn't see it with IE, no NS++.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:38 pm

Can you provide a screenshot? :)
The Blaatschapen should resign

Exset
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Exset » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:17 pm

Elejamie
Senator

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:28 pm

Hm. I want to run a test. Try going on a site that has got no adverts on it at all, like Wikipedia. I also recommend any of Maddox's sites, since he's the best example I can think of. If you get an advert there, then it might be adware.

Apologies if that doesn't make sense, by the way; I can explain it clearer if you want me to. Also, apologies to the mods if he isn't really allowed to be mentioned on here.
Last edited by Elejamie on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elejamie (English); Elejamia (Spanish); Elejam (Iyilim) - Denonym: Elejamian - Pronounced (English): Eh-leh-jah-meh
I INTRODUCED THE NS SPORTS COMMUNITY TO URINATINGTREE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SIGNATURE / Я з Україною

OOC: Miserable opinionated hipster.

Exset
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Exset » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:03 am

Elejamie wrote:Hm. I want to run a test. Try going on a site that has got no adverts on it at all, like Wikipedia. I also recommend any of Maddox's sites, since he's the best example I can think of. If you get an advert there, then it might be adware.

Apologies if that doesn't make sense, by the way; I can explain it clearer if you want me to. Also, apologies to the mods if he isn't really allowed to be mentioned on here.

I don't know who Maddox is, but Wikipedia looks the same as normal. So far, the only place I've seen that ad is the East Pacific RMB.

Elejamie
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:10 am

Exset wrote:
Elejamie wrote:Hm. I want to run a test. Try going on a site that has got no adverts on it at all, like Wikipedia. I also recommend any of Maddox's sites, since he's the best example I can think of. If you get an advert there, then it might be adware.

I don't know who Maddox is, but Wikipedia looks the same as normal. So far, the only place I've seen that ad is the East Pacific RMB.

Maddox is the guy behind The Best Page in the Universe (http://maddox.xmission.com), I Am Better Than Your Kids (http://www.iambetterthanyourkids.com/) and the Alphabet of Manliness (http://www.alphabetofmanliness.com/). I'm not promoting his work, I'm just saying that he doesn't run any ads on his sites, so it's a good way to test if you have adware or not.

Once again, apologies to the mods if his sites are verboten here.
Elejamie (English); Elejamia (Spanish); Elejam (Iyilim) - Denonym: Elejamian - Pronounced (English): Eh-leh-jah-meh
I INTRODUCED THE NS SPORTS COMMUNITY TO URINATINGTREE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SIGNATURE / Я з Україною

Exset
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Exset » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:39 am

I just looked at his site, and didn't see any ads.

Elejamie
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:47 am

OK, so it's probably not adware. Thanks, I just wanted to make sure, that was all.

Cornupication
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cornupication » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:26 pm

http://imgur.com/urPJdyi

To show some extra information about this particular problem in case it wasn't resolved, I have also experienced the same thing.

Using Windows 8.1, Chrome, default zoom, Adblock (sorry [violet] - I do have a Postmaster General account, if that makes up for it?)

I am certain my machine is virus/adware free, I run regular scans, and I'm not quite sure why this happened.

Aksun
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aksun » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:14 pm

I am not having this issue with century wide RMB.

Windows 7 IE11

New Kvenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Kvenland » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:16 pm

I had the blank ad problem for a few days when I was in Balder.
Last edited by New Kvenland on Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
californian ultranationalist | the bear flag will fly from cabo to the great salt lake once again | the pretenders in arizona will crumble to the sand they tread on

Divergia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divergia » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:17 pm

I've been having that problem so its not just him. Next time I see one I'll screenshot it.

EDIT: I have NS++
Last edited by Divergia on Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

XENOS AND A MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Please do not think that this nation represents any of our views, its quite the opposite actually

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:37 am

Chrome, Mac OS X 10.10, standard zoom, Adblock Plus, and NS++, no issue with ads hovering over the RMB.
this guy is a fucking furry and a therian
Btw, here's my IC flag

"Purp go to bed." - Nirvash Type TheEnd

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:15 pm

I'm getting this problem as well.

Advertisements were popping up everywhere, and redirecting me to sites full of viruses (which one hijacked my webcam) when I clicked on the page.
Greater Ardokian Empire | It is Ardoki's destiny to rule the whole world!
Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic

Head of State: Grand Emperor Alistair Killian Moriarty
Head of Government: Grand Imperial Chancellor Kennedy Rowan Coleman
Legislature: Imperial Senate
Ruling Party: Imperial Progressive Party
Technology Level: MT (Primary) | PMT, FanT (Secondary)
Politics: Social Democrat
Religion: None
Personality Type: ENTP 3w4

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:36 pm

Usually, crazy ads means your machine is infected with a virus, since we don't run any pop-up advertising or similar. Just the simple banners for us.

This one though looks legit since the "Remove ads" text is shifted too:
Cornupication wrote:http://imgur.com/urPJdyi

I would be interested to know if this problem persists after you refresh (press F5), because it could be caused by missing/corrupted stylesheets or javascript. If F5 cures it, it's probably a one-off network barf.

If not, please let me know. We have had a situation once before where Google automatically enabled some kind of new sticky ad on mobile devices, and we had to write in to get them to turn it off.

I can't really tell anything from the OP's screenshot; it's too low-res.

Cornupication
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cornupication » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:40 am

[violet] wrote:Usually, crazy ads means your machine is infected with a virus, since we don't run any pop-up advertising or similar. Just the simple banners for us.

This one though looks legit since the "Remove ads" text is shifted too:
Cornupication wrote:http://imgur.com/urPJdyi

I would be interested to know if this problem persists after you refresh (press F5), because it could be caused by missing/corrupted stylesheets or javascript. If F5 cures it, it's probably a one-off network barf.

If not, please let me know. We have had a situation once before where Google automatically enabled some kind of new sticky ad on mobile devices, and we had to write in to get them to turn it off.

I can't really tell anything from the OP's screenshot; it's too low-res.

Just a courtesy post, [violet], with a bit of information.

I noticed this for a couple of days when I originally snapped that screenshot, but admittedly I mostly only use my main account on my laptop, which has no ads because of being a site supporter. I don't recall it staying long though, but I'll make sure to test it a few times on different devices with my ad enabled accounts.

I'll do this for about...three days, then I'll let you know either what my findings are. I'm starting to think that mine might have been a one off, though.

Cornupication
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cornupication » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:32 am

[violet] - I've been playing around with my alts, and activating and deactivating adblock, and using different browsers, and I haven't been able to recreate this. As such, I'm starting think that it was a temporary network barf. It just threw me off because it happened for a couple of days, but it has stopped altogether now.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical