NATION

PASSWORD

White House May Not Be So Safe?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Pimps Inc
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

White House May Not Be So Safe?

Postby Pimps Inc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:55 pm

The intruder who jumped the White House fence earlier this month and sprinted through the mansion's front door made it much farther into the building than previously claimed, sources told Fox News on Monday.

The sources confirmed a Washington Post report that the alleged intruder, Omar J. Gonzalez, overpowered a Secret Service officer and made it into the East Room on Sept. 19. A struggle and "wrestling" inside the White House ensued.

ADVERTISEMENT
The revelation came on the eve of a House Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing to address the breach, at which Secret Service Director Julia Pierson was expected to testify. The Tuesday hearing will address lawmakers' "concerns" about the Secret Service's security protocols.

Gonzalez, 42, who allegedly had a knife, was eventually tackled by a counter-assault agent in the East Room after he reached the doorway to the Green Room, a parlor overlooking the South Lawn.

Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, who chairs a House subcommittee on national security oversight, also confirmed to CNN that whistleblowers had informed his panel of the breach.

A series of what one source called "catastrophic" security failures apparently allowed the intruder to get deep into the White House.

The Secret Service did not follow basic protocols during the incident to protect the White House, the president and the first family and the agency still does not know why, a source intimately familiar with details of the investigation told Fox News.

For example, the Secret Service didn't lock down certain areas of the property and did not elevate the threat level at the White House so that other uniformed officers and agents would know what was happening, which is a standard response.

“This was a catastrophic failure when the President was NOT there. What if the president WAS there?” the source, a longtime Secret Service insider, added. "It turns out that basic functions in place to avoid this were never initiated."

Additionally, an alarm box near the front entrance of the White House that is designed to alert guards to an intruder had been muted at what officers believed was a request of the usher's office, an official told The Washington Post.

An officer posted inside the front door also appeared to be delayed in learning that Gonzalez was about to burst through, according to the Post. Officers are trained to immediately lock the front door once an intruder is spotted on the grounds.

A Secret Service Uniformed Division officer then “misreported” how far the intruder got into the White House to management in order to downplay the impact of the initial failure.

The officer in question told management that the intruder “never got through the vestibule” of the North Portico, which turned out to be false, the source said.

Secret Service spokeswoman Nicole Mainor told Fox News that the agency would not comment on the revelations, citing the ongoing investigation.

The Secret Service has been having high-level meetings to address the breach, the latest in a series of embarrassing scandals for the agency since a 2012 prostitution scandal erupted during a presidential visit to Colombia.

The Post reported over the weekend that the Secret Service did not immediately respond to shots fired at the White House in 2011, amid what the agency describes as uncertainty about where the shots originated. Four days later, it was discovered that at least one of the shots broke the glass of a window on the third level of the mansion, the Secret Service said.

At the time of the 2011 breach, the president and first lady Michelle Obama were away, but their daughters were in Washington — one home and the other due to return that night.

Oscar R. Ortega-Hernandez of Idaho has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for the 2011 incident.

"The president and the first lady, like all parents, are concerned about the safety of their children, but the president and first lady also have confidence in the men and women of the Secret Service to do a very important job, which is to protect the first family, to protect the White House, but also protect the ability of tourists and members of the public to conduct their business or even tour the White House," White House spokesman Josh Earnest said Monday.

After the Sept. 19 breach, Pierson ordered a review of the incident and possible changes to security measures at and around the White House. She briefed the president on Thursday.

"The president is interested in the review that they are conducting, and I would anticipate that he'll review whatever it is they — whatever reforms and recommendations they settle upon," Earnest said of the Secret Service's internal review.

Secret Service officers who spotted Gonzalez scaling the fence quickly assessed that he didn't have any weapons in his hands and wasn't wearing clothing that could conceal substantial quantities of explosives, a primary reason agents did not fire their weapons, according to a U.S. official briefed on the investigation.

Source

So,Pikachu got past the Secret Service and got Into the White House.He overpowered a Secret Service agent and then entered the White House before agents tackled him.This according to Fox News.Then again,it's Fox News.The point is,what do you think?If a guy with a knife could get in the "most secure building on Earth",then what's stopping a terrorist?

Your say,NS?
Roleplay Information
2024: The Long Peace - United Mexican States

Risottia wrote:
United States of White America wrote:Although Nietzsche was a god-fearing atheist and his quote is positive, I believe it is negative. I think God has died because of our corrupt, open society, where there is no objective sense of right and wrong. Instead, I propose to resurrect God and avenge him.

No way.

When we meet aliens from outer space, we'll yell:

We poison our air and water to weed out the weak!
We set off fission bombs in our only biosphere!
We nailed our god to a stick!
Don't fuck with the human race!

Kanye West 2024

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:13 pm

Government agency lies about a fuckup. Shocker.

Seriously, though, it's a damn good thing the President wasn't there. Obviously there need to be some deep investigations and reprimands for both the security screw ups and the following misrepresentation of facts.
Insert trite farewell here

Pimps Inc
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Pimps Inc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:14 pm

Well,it's Fox News so.
Roleplay Information

Risottia wrote:
United States of White America wrote:Although Nietzsche was a god-fearing atheist and his quote is positive, I believe it is negative. I think God has died because of our corrupt, open society, where there is no objective sense of right and wrong. Instead, I propose to resurrect God and avenge him.

No way.

Kanye West 2024

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Well, good job to the secret service agents on the ground who actually handled the situation.

They made what ended up being the right call not to open fire and managed to resolve the situation without loss of life.

Shame on those who tried to cover their own arses by making the situation even more messy and confusing for the agents putting their lives on the line.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:24 pm

All I can think about is how this is one more thing the news is telling us to be afraid of.
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:27 pm

No doubt someone out there seriously suggested Obama resigning immediately to make the White House safe again.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Lalaki
Senator

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:29 pm

The President should live in a private, anonymous, small apartment in the Washington DC area. Perhaps in the 900 dollar range, two bedroom. The White House should be turned into an office building for the Executive Branch.
Born again free market capitalist.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:31 pm

Lalaki wrote:The President should live in a private, anonymous, small apartment in the Washington DC area. Perhaps in the 900 dollar range, two bedroom. The White House should be turned into an office building for the Executive Branch.

And then we'll hear the right wing noise machine whine about how Obama is wasting taxpayer dollar to get himself a private luxury residence.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

Romalae
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Romalae » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:31 pm

Fox News, huh? I'm waiting for them to say this happened because this guy felt emboldened by Obama's weakness.
Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Ideology: somewhere between left-leaning centrism and social democracy
Other: irreligious, white, male

Pimps Inc
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Pimps Inc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:33 pm

The Grim Reaper wrote:Well, good job to the secret service agents on the ground who actually handled the situation.

They made what ended up being the right call not to open fire and managed to resolve the situation without loss of life.

Shame on those who tried to cover their own arses by making the situation even more messy and confusing for the agents putting their lives on the line.

I find it hard to believe that a man with a knife overpowered a highly trained agent of the Secret Service.Then again,the man was in the army I believe?
Roleplay Information

Risottia wrote:

No way.

Kanye West 2024

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:33 pm

Romalae wrote:Fox News, huh? I'm waiting for them to say this happened because this guy felt emboldened by Obama's weakness.

If Obama was actually injured or killed by one of these guys FOXNews would have called it proof of Obama's weakness.

Pimps Inc
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Pimps Inc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:34 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Romalae wrote:Fox News, huh? I'm waiting for them to say this happened because this guy felt emboldened by Obama's weakness.

If Obama was actually injured or killed by one of these guys FOXNews would have called it proof of Obama's weakness.

"A guy who isn't bulletproof shouldn't be president!Proof!"

Or "This man was the worst threat to the United States in history."
*nods*
Roleplay Information

Risottia wrote:

No way.

Kanye West 2024

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:36 pm

Pimps Inc wrote:
The Grim Reaper wrote:Well, good job to the secret service agents on the ground who actually handled the situation.

I find it hard to believe that a man with a knife overpowered a highly trained agent of the Secret Service.Then again,the man was in the army I believe?

Overpowered might be an exaggeration or something - I assume that if it was 1 on 1, the secret service agent might have withdrawn with the expectation that there would be more agents backing him up able to take the man as a group, given that the man was armed.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:37 pm

Pimps Inc wrote:

Or "This man was the worst threat to the United States in history."
*nods*

"And unfortunately he wasn't in the White House before the Secret Service subdued the intruder."
Last edited by Gauthier on Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:45 pm

Well, thank God the guy didn't have a Nissan Infiniti and didn't run off towards the Capitol building after running into the White House.

Then the SS agents would've made the wrong call not shooting.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

The Althing Confederacy
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Althing Confederacy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:47 pm

If you think the white house should be safe then you must be delusional!
By definition the Capital of ANY nation is a military target.
Therefore in all logical thought it would be the PRIME TARGET of any military attack!

Elemental North
Senator

Founded: Aug 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:51 pm

The fact that he made it all the way into the East Room and not to "just" the North Portico like they originally reported, is quite disturbing. I honestly would fire the Director of the Secret Service, and she WILL no doubt resign after she testifies to the House Oversight Committee tomorrow. It's simply ridiculous. Imagine, when Lincoln was President people could literally just waltz in and see him. It was truly; "the People's house." Now, now it's a glorified office-fortress that gives tours.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Elemental North
Senator

Founded: Aug 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Elemental North » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:52 pm

The Althing Confederacy wrote:If you think the white house should be safe then you must be delusional!
By definition the Capital of ANY nation is a military target.
Therefore in all logical thought it would be the PRIME TARGET of any military attack!

it was on 9-11, the plane that crashed in Shankseville was supposed to hit the White House, and would have if the passengers on the plane didn't crash it. Then of course the Pentagon, which is just across the Potomac, was hit.
NO. 1 TITTY INSPECTOR

Pimps Inc
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Pimps Inc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:00 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:Well, thank God the guy didn't have a Nissan Infiniti and didn't run off towards the Capitol building after running into the White House.

Then the SS agents would've made the wrong call not shooting.

Just realized something.
Secret Service=SS
Waffen Schutzstaffel=SS

But seriously now:
The Grim Reaper wrote:
Pimps Inc wrote:I find it hard to believe that a man with a knife overpowered a highly trained agent of the Secret Service.Then again,the man was in the army I believe?

Overpowered might be an exaggeration or something - I assume that if it was 1 on 1, the secret service agent might have withdrawn with the expectation that there would be more agents backing him up able to take the man as a group, given that the man was armed.

Still,Juan on Juan and he still loses!He is supposed to be trained!(or whatever)
Roleplay Information

Risottia wrote:

No way.

Kanye West 2024

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:43 pm

More entertaining were Yahoo! comments (or, as I've come to think of it, 4chanlite) where many of the comments were mouthbreathers people disappointed that Obama wasn't killed and even hoping that the Secret Service would shoot him themselves.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Alyakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 12, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alyakia » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:57 pm

there will never be a 100% secure anything ever.
pro: good
anti: bad

The UK and EU are Better Together

"Margaret Thatcher showed the world that women are not too soft or the weaker sex, and can be as heartless, horrible, and amoral as any male politician."

Jamjai
Minister

Founded: Jul 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamjai » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:58 pm

no, im pretty its going to be safe

for example that crazy woman who crashed near the white house but the secret service were to handle it

or your saying that the next will actually be in the white house maybe looking at michelle obama from behind the door
or actually killing or injuring someone while in the white house
RP: 34 million

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:27 am

The secret service really does not like Obama, do they ? Pisspooor defended home, letting a man with psychotic episodes and a violent past stand right next to him at Mandelas memorial...
What's next ?
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Cyrisnia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:37 am

The Alma Mater wrote:The secret service really does not like Obama, do they ? Pisspooor defended home, letting a man with psychotic episodes and a violent past stand right next to him at Mandelas memorial...
What's next ?

Making a black man president. :p
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man
410,757,864,530 DEAD REBS

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:40 am

Impeach Obama for endangering the President of the United States.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General