NATION

PASSWORD

A Song of Sex and Gender

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Gender is...

biological, as predetermined by sex
35%
biological, as predetermined by genetics
13%
psychological, as determined by events in early life
9%
psychological, not predetermined, not a choice
18%
psychological, not predetermined, is a choice
5%
farnhamia is god
19%

Total votes : 119

Valica
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

A Song of Sex and Gender

Postby Valica » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:08 am

These are the current definitions for the two words:

Sex - either of the two main categories (m/f) into which humans and many living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions.
Gender - the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).

We are going to, for the sake of this thread, assume there are only three sexes: male, female, and hermaphrodite.
This is based on the reproductive organs that one may possess.

As for gender, we aren't going to get into specifics about the multitudes of genders that people claim they belong to.
We are simply talking about gender as an idea.

So here's the question...

Is gender:
biological, as predetermined by sex (male or female);
- this option claims that your gender aligns to your bits n' pieces.
biological, as predetermined by genetics (non-binary);
- this option claims that gender is predetermined in your genes, whether you're asexual, bisexual, etc.
psychological, as determined by events in early life (non-binary);
- this option claims that gender is not genetic, but is predetermined by events that happened early in your life.
psychological, not predetermined, not a choice (non-binary);
- this option claims that gender is not genetic, is not predetermined, and is not a choice.
psychological, not predetermined, choice (non-binary);
- this option claims that gender is not genetic, is not predetermined, but is a choice.

Biological: of or relating to biology or living organisms.
Psychological: of, affecting, or arising in the mind; related to the mental and emotional state of a person.

Personally, I believe gender is psychological and is not really determined by many factors.
It just kind of happens... similar to our interests. We don't choose them, they just happen.
Last edited by Valica on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a cis-het male. Ask me about my privilege.

Valica is like America with a very conservative economy and a liberal social policy.

Population - 750,500,000

Army - 3,250,500
Navy - 2,000,000
Special Forces - 300,000

5 districts
20 members per district in the House of Representatives
10 members per district in the Senate

Political affiliation - Centrist / Humanist

Religion - Druid

For: Privacy, LGBT Equality, Cryptocurrencies, Free Web, The Middle Class, One-World Government

Against: Nationalism, Creationism, Right to Segregate, Fundamentalism, ISIS, Communism
( -4.38 | -4.31 )
"If you don't use Linux, you're doing it wrong."

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:14 am

Gender is a concept that has solely arisen in humans. Sexes in nature switch at times, especially in amphibians and fish. This undermines the idea of a predetermined gender, especially when male seahorses raise the children or frogs switch sex in times of communal need.

Valica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Valica » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:43 am

Kelinfort wrote:Gender is a concept that has solely arisen in humans. Sexes in nature switch at times, especially in amphibians and fish. This undermines the idea of a predetermined gender, especially when male seahorses raise the children or frogs switch sex in times of communal need.

But we are talking specifically about humans.

Valica is like America with a very conservative economy and a liberal social policy.

Population - 750,500,000

Army - 3,250,500
Navy - 2,000,000
Special Forces - 300,000

5 districts

Religion - Druid

For: Privacy, LGBT Equality, Cryptocurrencies, Free Web, The Middle Class, One-World Government

Against: Nationalism, Creationism, Right to Segregate, Fundamentalism, ISIS, Communism
( -4.38 | -4.31 )

Kromar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kromar » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:49 am

I think gender has to be influenced by environment at a young age, or why would fucked up, traumatized people become trans more often? Transsexuality is a mental disorder and a tragedy.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Round and round, and up and down, and back and forth again; Nobody ever loses, 'cause nobody ever wins.

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:57 am

Kelinfort wrote:Gender is a concept that has solely arisen in humans. Sexes in nature switch at times, especially in amphibians and fish. This undermines the idea of a predetermined gender, especially when male seahorses raise the children or frogs switch sex in times of communal need.

Fort, we're talking about Homo Sapiens here...
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:12 am

Kromar wrote:I think gender has to be influenced by environment at a young age, or why would fucked up, traumatized people become trans more often? Transsexuality is a mental disorder and a tragedy.

*** Warned for trolling ***
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:22 am

Valica wrote:

Humans are animals. There's no point in talking about gender/sex in humans without taking into account other species.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:24 am

Avenio wrote:
Valica wrote:

Humans are animals. There's no point in talking about gender/sex in humans without taking into account other species.

No, I'm pretty sure talking about your biology should be limited to us, unless you wanna bring up other primates.
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Quintium
Negotiator

Founded: May 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Quintium » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:25 am

Avenio wrote:Humans are animals. There's no point in talking about gender/sex in humans without taking into account other species.

A biologist will describe the pack behaviour of dogs, the reproduction of coyotes and the anatomy of rare fishes.
Why not limit this discussion to sex and gender in the human species?
I'm a melancholic, bipedal, 1/128th Native Batavian polyhistor. My preferred pronouns are "his majesty"/"his majesty".

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:26 am

I'm going to take the easy way out and say gender factors are biopsychosocial and there are lots of known and unknown factors that influence one's gender identity.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

WestRedMaple
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:27 am

Sex is physical.

Gender is part psychological and part choice. In order to be a gender, one must first choose to accept that there are certain psychological aspects of human beings unique to certain groups

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:27 am

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:
Avenio wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure talking about your biology should be limited to us, unless you wanna bring up other primates.

You share 70% of your genes with a zebrafish. Why shouldn't we talk about their sex/gender in relation to humans?

Quintium
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Quintium » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:29 am

Avenio wrote:Why shouldn't we talk about their sex/gender in relation to humans?

Because they're not humans, so it makes very little sense talking about them when the discussion is about humans and served well enough by discussing only behavioral patterns in humans.
I'm a melancholic, bipedal, 1/128th Native Batavian polyhistor. My preferred pronouns are "his majesty"/"his majesty".

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:30 am

Avenio wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:...

You share 70% of your genes with a zebrafish. Why shouldn't we talk about their sex/gender in relation to humans?

Just because we share a large amount of our DNA with another animal doesn't mean we are comparable at least by a small margin.

They're is a major difference between a fish and a mammal, you wanna bring up another animal? At least bring up something within our own order.
/// A.N.N. \\\

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:39 am

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Just because we share a large amount of our DNA with another animal doesn't mean we are comparable at least by a small margin.

Sure it is. It means that 70% of the coding genes that go into manufacturing our bodies are 100% identical. That's very comparable.

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:They're is a major difference between a fish and a mammal, you wanna bring up another animal? At least bring up something within our own order.

Why? Zebrafish have testes, we have testes. Zebrafish have ovaries, we have ovaries. Zebrafish have sexual dimorphism, we have sexual dimorphism. What's so different?

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:47 am

The assumptions of the OP are invalid; gender is a spectrum.

http://www.tolerance.org/gender-spectrum

http://genderborngendermade.com/praise-reviews

Therefore the discussion based upon the premises of the OP cannot succeed.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:52 am

Quintium wrote:
Obeyistan wrote:He said transgenderism is a mental disorder, not gender dysphoria.

'Transgenderism' is more or less the same thing as gender dysphoria (or the more politically correct medical term 'gender identity disorder').

But there is a massive difference in connotations between "transsexuality is a mental illness" and "gender dysphoria is a mental illness".

Also, the correct term isn't "gender identity disorder", because that also carries certain negative connotations that being trans is inherently a bad thing. To say nothing of the fact that Gender Dysphoria and being trans are not inherently the same thing. You can be trans and not have dysphoria.

Pope Joan wrote:The assumptions of the OP are invalid; gender is a spectrum.

I'm pretty sure the OP mentions non-binary gender.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Quintium
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Quintium » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:54 am

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:Yeah that doesn't prove it's a mental illness.

What kind of a source are you looking for, then?

Valica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Valica » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:59 am

Pope Joan wrote:The assumptions of the OP are invalid; gender is a spectrum.

Literally 4 out of 6 of the poll options include non-binary genders.
Learn to read.

And even if I didn't agree with you, there is no proof that gender is a spectrum.
It's a belief or philosophy. Many people believe gender is binary, therefore not a spectrum.

That is why it is one of the poll options.

Population - 750,500,000

Army - 3,250,500
Navy - 2,000,000
Special Forces - 300,000

5 districts

Religion - Druid

( -4.38 | -4.31 )

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:24 am

Please keep the discussion on topic, thanks.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:37 am

From the APA:
And According to the APA it no is counted among the disorders, since, like homosexuality, it does not inherently cause any issues. The dysphoria itself can be seen as a disorder, and the correct way to deal with said dysphoria is often transition.
A psychological state is considered a mental disorder only if it causes significant distress or disability. Many transgender people do not experience their gender as distressing or disabling, which implies that identifying as transgender does not constitute a mental disorder. For these individuals, the significant problem is finding affordable resources, such as counseling, hormone therapy, medical procedures and the social support necessary to freely express their gender identity and minimize discrimination. Many other obstacles may lead to distress, including a lack of acceptance within society, direct or indirect experiences with discrimination, or assault. These experiences may lead many transgender people to suffer with anxiety, depression or related disorders at higher rates than nontransgender persons.

According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), people who experience intense, persistent gender incongruence can be given the diagnosis of "gender dysphoria." Some contend that the diagnosis inappropriately pathologizes gender noncongruence and should be eliminated. Others argue that it is essential to retain the diagnosis to ensure access to care. The International Classification of Diseases (ICD) is under revision and there may be changes to its current classification of intense persistent gender incongruence as "gender identity disorder."

Also, the ICD is looking to change the definitions they have. For instance they are looking to change transexualism to gender incongruence. In addition there is a proposal to remove that diagnosis from the chapter it is in (Mental Health Chapter) and place it in a new chapter.

http://www.wpath.org/uploaded_files/140 ... nal-sm.pdf
Last edited by Neutraligon on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:43 am

It is both, as psychology is greatly affected by biology. As for whether it is predetermined by genetics or the environment of the womb, that is much harder to say.
Last edited by United Marxist Nations on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:10 am

I think it's most likely that gender is biological and determined by prenatal conditions. Apparent biological differences between ,for example, a cisgender man and a transgender woman don't support the idea that it's exclusively psychological but if it was simply genetic then the emergence of patterns would probably make that apparent with minimal study.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Distruzionopolis
Envoy

Founded: Sep 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Distruzionopolis » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:46 am

Kromar wrote:I think gender has to be influenced by environment at a young age, or why would fucked up, traumatized people become trans more often? Transsexuality is a mental disorder and a tragedy.

You're talking about transgenderism is a dysphoria - no different from other psychological illnesses. It merits treatment. Treatment, in the case of transgendered individuals, includes hormones therapy and, if the situation calls for it, sexual reassignment surgery. I'm glad you recognize it as a tragedy. Tragedies deserve to be redressed.

Ubermensch Paragon that defines Democracy
cultural tradition, communitarianism, vertical collectivism, personalism, market localism, federalism, toryism
Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance - H.L. Mencken
"Egalitarianism... is incompatible with the idea of private property. Private property implies exclusivity, inequality, and difference." - Hans Herman Hoppe

Knowledge is not power; power is, instead, knowledge applied.

Constantinopolis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Constantinopolis » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:25 pm

I confess I am having trouble understanding how there could be such a thing as "gender" which is separate from sex.

When I say I am "male", I mean I have male sexual organs. In other words, I am of the male sex. That is all that the word "male" means in my mind. It refers to my sexual organs. Nothing else.

So, what is this separate thing called "gender" of which you speak? :eyebrow:

If some people say they are "male" or "female" without talking about their sexual organs, then what are they talking about, exactly? Stereotypical male or female behavior? So a person of the male sex might say they are of the "female gender" if they happen to like things that society has characterized as "girly stuff"? That's a horrible failing on the part of society then, not an issue with the individual. Men who don't conform to stereotypical manliness and women who don't conform to stereotypical femininity should never feel that they have to take hormones or surgically alter their bodies in order to join their "true" gender.

Or am I not understanding the issue correctly?
The Holy Socialist Republic of Constantinopolis
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile." -- Albert Einstein
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -10.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.64
________________Communist. Leninist. Orthodox Christian.________________
Communism is the logical conclusion of Christian morality. "Whoever loves his neighbor as himself owns no more than his neighbor does", in the words of St. Basil the Great. The anti-theism of past Leninists was a tragic mistake, and the Church should be an ally of the working class.
My posts on the 12 Great Feasts of the Orthodox Church: -I- -II- -III- -IV- -V- -VI- -VII- -VIII- [PASCHA] -IX- -X- -XI- -XII-

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General