NATION

PASSWORD

Homeless Man Shoots Two People Dead

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Homeless Man Shoots Two People Dead

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:39 pm

Police are hunting for John Henry Tully, 48, after a shooting that killed two and injured a third at an Ashburton Work and Income Office this morning.

A balaclava-clad man carrying a sawn-off shotgun entered the Work and Income office on the corner of Cass and Moore streets and fired several shots before fleeing on a bike.

The gunman was last seen heading towards the Ashburton river. Shots have reportedly been heard since coming from the river.

A source told Fairfax Media that one person was shot dead on site and another died at Ashburton Hospital.

Police confirmed that two people had been killed and the third person was in hospital.

Police have warned the public to stay indoors and to not approach the man. Schools are also in lockdown.

Source.

There's a lot of questions that need to be asked about this. Although one of them is "how the hell did he get a shotgun", that is not really relevant for this topic. The questions I am asking is "how bad are our social welfare services to prompt someone to do something like this" and "is this an isolated incident" and "does our social services system need massive reforms"? Now, for people outside of New Zealand, Work and Income New Zealand (WINZ) is the government agency that essentially manages your social welfare payments, especially the "Job Seeker's Benefit". Since the Job Seeker's Benefit was introduced, it's become somewhat notorious for being quite demeaning and it's been claimed it's driven people to consider suicide. I am unemployed and I have never been on it because the conditions are far too strict (especially in a place with not that many jobs, let alone ones I am qualified for). The man in question, according to this, was a homeless man. It begs the question why he was allowed to fall through the cracks and end up in a state of utter desperation that prompted him to shoot two people dead?

What say you NSG?
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:41 pm

I think there's a lot more than just social welfare programs gone wrong. I have heard in the US that a fair percent of the homeless have mental illness. I wouldn't be shocked if the homeless population in other countries is similar in nature.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:42 pm

How did he get the shot gun ? He bought it like anyone else. He maybe sawed it off himself, or maybe bought it sawed off.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:43 pm

greed and death wrote:How did he get the shot gun ? He bought it like anyone else. He maybe sawed it off himself, or maybe bought it sawed off.

It doesn't really work like that. You can't simply go into a shop and buy a gun. You have to be licensed, have proof of address etc. But there is a lot more issues with this than guns.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:45 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
greed and death wrote:How did he get the shot gun ? He bought it like anyone else. He maybe sawed it off himself, or maybe bought it sawed off.

It doesn't really work like that. You can't simply go into a shop and buy a gun. You have to be licensed, have proof of address etc. But there is a lot more issues with this than guns.

He could have owned it from before he was homeless, bought it illegally, or stolen it.
Insert trite farewell here

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:47 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

He could have owned it from before he was homeless, bought it illegally, or stolen it.

He'd been living in a tent for the past three years after moving back from Australia where he'd been laid off in the job losses in the mines.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:48 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:

My post might suggest a bit more of why. There's a large population of mentally ill in the homeless population.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:48 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Scomagia wrote:He could have owned it from before he was homeless, bought it illegally, or stolen it.

He'd been living in a tent for the past three years after moving back from Australia where he'd been laid off in the job losses in the mines.

Is there some reason that he couldn't have had the shotgun in the tent? He might have kept it somewhere else, like with friends or family.
Insert trite farewell here

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:48 pm

Have to applaud Costa for making this thread about the economics that cause such problems instead of guns.

That said, I think that this is a primary reason for the state to heavily subsidize housing, and to provide work to its citizens.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:49 pm

How long before the stereotypical " the Mentally ill are totally, and absolutely a danger to others", and other myths from bullshitville?
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:57 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:Have to applaud Costa for making this thread about the economics that cause such problems instead of guns.

That said, I think that this is a primary reason for the state to heavily subsidize housing, and to provide work to its citizens.

There are state houses but there aren't enough of them around.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:59 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

My post might suggest a bit more of why. There's a large population of mentally ill in the homeless population.

That seems to be a bit of an assumption. New Zealand's homeless do have a history of being slightly eccentric, although most of it is through drug abuse.

The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate
Envoy

Founded: Feb 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lithuanian-Surinamese Caliphate » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:24 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:Have to applaud Costa for making this thread about the economics that cause such problems instead of guns.

Agreed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NSG is your blog; don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:Way to go for SUPPRESSING my opinion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.08

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:35 pm

I'm not an expert on NZ's welfare system by any stretch of the imagination, so maybe it does need to be improved, but it was still this guy's personal decision to go on a shooting spree rather than handle his problems some other way. If someone is pilfering food because they have trouble scraping together the money to buy enough, or if they're squatting in a vacant apartment, I can understand blaming the welfare system. Those things are crimes, but they are also things that people might do because it is the only way they can see to get food or shelter. No one HAS TO go on a shooting spree to survive. Shooting people does not provide you with food or shelter -- especially not if you then flee from police. If you want to go to prison to get a roof over your head, then you need to get caught.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:40 pm

Benuty wrote:How long before the stereotypical " the Mentally ill are totally, and absolutely a danger to others", and other myths from bullshitville?

Don't you have something better to do than bait stupid arguments? Such as actually discuss the questions the OP proposed?
password scrambled

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:42 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Police are hunting for John Henry Tully, 48, after a shooting that killed two and injured a third at an Ashburton Work and Income Office this morning.

A balaclava-clad man carrying a sawn-off shotgun entered the Work and Income office on the corner of Cass and Moore streets and fired several shots before fleeing on a bike.

The gunman was last seen heading towards the Ashburton river. Shots have reportedly been heard since coming from the river.

A source told Fairfax Media that one person was shot dead on site and another died at Ashburton Hospital.

Police confirmed that two people had been killed and the third person was in hospital.

Police have warned the public to stay indoors and to not approach the man. Schools are also in lockdown.

Source.

There's a lot of questions that need to be asked about this. Although one of them is "how the hell did he get a shotgun", that is not really relevant for this topic. The questions I am asking is "how bad are our social welfare services to prompt someone to do something like this" and "is this an isolated incident" and "does our social services system need massive reforms"? Now, for people outside of New Zealand, Work and Income New Zealand (WINZ) is the government agency that essentially manages your social welfare payments, especially the "Job Seeker's Benefit". Since the Job Seeker's Benefit was introduced, it's become somewhat notorious for being quite demeaning and it's been claimed it's driven people to consider suicide. I am unemployed and I have never been on it because the conditions are far too strict (especially in a place with not that many jobs, let alone ones I am qualified for). The man in question, according to this, was a homeless man. It begs the question why he was allowed to fall through the cracks and end up in a state of utter desperation that prompted him to shoot two people dead?

What say you NSG?

Far as I can tell this looks like a man long down on his luck taking a turn for the worse. I hope he comes to his senses and surrenders to the police.

How, though, did he remain unemployed for three years? What exactly were the causes of his constant unemployment, was it his doing?
password scrambled

Zarodia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zarodia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:44 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:If someone is pilfering food because they have trouble scraping together the money to buy enough, or if they're squatting in a vacant apartment, I can understand blaming the welfare system. Those things are crimes, but they are also things that people might do because it is the only way they can see to get food or shelter. No one HAS TO go on a shooting spree to survive.

Basically this. There is a massive difference between stealing food and shooting people. One can, potentially, be blamed on "the system" or on welfare requirements; the other can only be blamed on the person committing the act. Even if the system was so harsh, so asinine, so messed up that it was making him suicidal, that's no excuse to take other people with him, and OPs implication that it might be is fucking disgusting.
From the desk of Major Urunarel, Regent Commander of Foreign Communications,
~Kajon Asori Ku'Kashonita Urunarel

Dumb Ideologies wrote:I am not sure there is sufficient gunpowder around to cannon-launch enough of them to Manhattan from their parents' basements.

And so they christened me Zaro, killer of threads.
If I'm posting on NSG, I'm probably drunk.
Economic Left/Right: -5.45
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 6.84

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:58 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:My post might suggest a bit more of why. There's a large population of mentally ill in the homeless population.

That seems to be a bit of an assumption. New Zealand's homeless do have a history of being slightly eccentric, although most of it is through drug abuse.

Well, it seems like it seems be reasonable though.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

The Republic of Pantalleria
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Pantalleria » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:07 pm

Oh yeah, I heard about this. It's weird how a homeless man can afford a shot gun, although he may have stolen it, I'm not entirely sure.
The Pantallerian Economy and Other Details

The Pantallerian Bureau of Tourism: Treading on maggots since we got our magnificent go go boots.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:11 pm

Now if New Zealand's welfare requirements can drive a man to murder, just picture what would happen in the United States if certain people had their way and made welfare just as strict or worse, non-existent.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:30 pm

Gauthier wrote:Now if New Zealand's welfare requirements can drive a man to murder, just picture what would happen in the United States if certain people had their way and made welfare just as strict or worse, non-existent.

Some parts of the US already have pretty useless welfare systems. It's probably why the US is so violent compared to other wealthy countries.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:32 pm

Ever seen Hobo With a Shotgun?

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:58 pm

Condunum wrote:Far as I can tell this looks like a man long down on his luck taking a turn for the worse. I hope he comes to his senses and surrenders to the police.

How, though, did he remain unemployed for three years? What exactly were the causes of his constant unemployment, was it his doing?

I don't know. The man used to work in Australia but was laid off from the mines there. He moved back and from what I gather, he couldn't find a job, he was probably either evicted or unable to pay his bills and ended up on the streets.

I've remained unemployed for nearly three years myself. There are few jobs out there for unqualified people and even fewer that want to take on someone of my age because they figure there is something "wrong" with me and would therefore be unemployable.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:01 pm

Gauthier wrote:Now if New Zealand's welfare requirements can drive a man to murder, just picture what would happen in the United States if certain people had their way and made welfare just as strict or worse, non-existent.

In order to have welfare payments, you must actively be looking for a job and must apply for a minimum of five jobs per week (which is a struggle in places like where I live which has a population twice the size of Ashburton) and attend a training course which involves things like learning how to turn on a computer.

And if you do find a job, they throw a mock celebration and clap for you. It's demeaning.

Kazirstan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kazirstan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Empire of Narnia wrote:Ever seen Hobo With a Shotgun?

Damn it! Beat me to it!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General