NATION

PASSWORD

CEO Kicks Dog: Outrage Ensues

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Were his punishments apt?

Yes, the punishments he faced were enough.
49%
No, dog-kickers should be punished another way. [Other]
51%

Total votes : 41

Soselo
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

CEO Kicks Dog: Outrage Ensues

Postby Soselo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:04 pm

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/8/28/video_of_ceo_kicking.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnfg1ThTA6Q
ST. PETERSBURG --
The video of a food distribution company CEO kicking a dog in an elevator has gone viral and has some Bay area companies reviewing their relationship with him.

The video shows Desmond Hague, CEO of food distributor Centerplate entering an elevator in a Vancouver apartment building with a dog. Then he kicks the dog, a 1-year old Doberman named Sade, multiple times in the ribs. Later, he lifts the dog off the ground by its leash.

The video was recorded in July.

Centerplate is a food service provider for stadiums, including Tropicana Field. The business also lists the Florida State Fair as a client.

The video became viral after the incident was reported.

Hague released a public statement, saying: "This incident is completely and utterly out of character and I am ashamed and deeply embarrassed."

The Rays also released their own statement, calling the video unacceptable and disturbing.

"The Rays organization, our players and front office employees have deep-rooted involvement with animal shelters throughout the Tampa Bay region and are proud to support them. We have spoken to Centerplate and we are confident they will handle this issue in an appropriate manner."

According to the Vancouver Sun newspaper, after this incident was reported, workers from the Society For the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals checked on the status of the dog and found it in a crate in a puddle of its own urine.

The SPCA has taken the dog under its care.

Some local animal rights activists have called on Tropicana Field officials and the Florida State Fair to break ties with Centerplate and find a new food service provider.

"We have been made aware of Mr. Desmond Hague's actions," said Fair officials. "And we are currently taking this matter under consideration."

Centerplate’s Board of Directors recently convened a special meeting following the completion of an internal investigation and review of the incident.

The company released a statement saying as a condition of his continued employment with Centerplate, Hague will donate $100,000 towards the establishment of the Sade Foundation in honor of the dog he mistreated. He also will serve 1,000 hours of community service in support of an organization that serves to protect the welfare and safety of animals.

I think the punishment he received was pointless on in regards to ending animal abuse. I think this story being covered was rather pointless, though kicking a dog that isn't yours is somewhat cruel.

I want you to discuss whether or not he should've been punished, whether or not the punishment was right, and if the kicks were as severe as the source would have you believe.
Last edited by Soselo on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Things do not change; we change.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:08 pm

This is straight out of some stupid kids film. Y'know, the ones with the stuck-up evil businessmen as the villains?
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Soselo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Soselo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:09 pm

Murkwood wrote:This is straight out of some stupid kids film. Y'know, the ones with the stuck-up evil businessmen as the villains?

This being it?
Last edited by Soselo on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:10 pm

You certainly do like your Controversial Opinions, don't you OP? It's almost like you seek them out or something.
Last edited by Avenio on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lies and Ignorance
Minister

Founded: Nov 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lies and Ignorance » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:10 pm

"I didn't kick the dog that hard!" is a back-asswards defense for any sort of abuse including animal abuse. Violence is violence. It's an exertion of physical force meant to harm another person or being. There's no "almost-violence" or "gentle-violence". You either kick a dog and get fairly branded as violent and abusive, or you don't kick a dog.
✡☭♀

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:12 pm

Soselo wrote:
Murkwood wrote:This is straight out of some stupid kids film. Y'know, the ones with the stuck-up evil businessmen as the villains?

This being it?

I wasn't referring to a specific one, though that is one of many.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Soselo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Soselo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:13 pm

Avenio wrote:You certainly do like your Controversial Opinions, don't you OP? It's almost like you seek them out or something.

I don't follow, I just don't agree with there being a legal sanction for his actions because of the rubbish that comes with there being such authorities.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:15 pm

Soselo wrote:
Avenio wrote:You certainly do like your Controversial Opinions, don't you OP? It's almost like you seek them out or something.

I don't follow, I just don't agree with there being a legal sanction for his actions because of the rubbish that comes with there being such authorities.

You think people should be able to treat animals cruelly with no consequences?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Soselo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Soselo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:17 pm

Lies and Ignorance wrote:"I didn't kick the dog that hard!" is a back-asswards defense for any sort of abuse including animal abuse. Violence is violence. It's an exertion of physical force meant to harm another person or being. There's no "almost-violence" or "gentle-violence". You either kick a dog and get fairly branded as violent and abusive, or you don't kick a dog.

He shouldn't have kicked the dog; this is no animal abuse endorsement. Suppose he wasn't required to pay 100,000 dollars and serve involuntary community service, and were ostracized instead.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:18 pm

What's that, Lassie?
It's common knowledge that "kicking a puppy" is a classically hyperbolic way to describe someone who's impossibly, ludicrously evil...and yet, that's literally what happened here? Somebody literally kicked a puppy?
Well, than that puppy-kicking moron deserves pretty much everything he gets!

Yeah, no sympathy. This is so ridiculously cartoonish that he deserves everything that may come his way for being such a cruel idiot.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

Monkeykind
Senator

Founded: Mar 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Monkeykind » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Lies and Ignorance wrote:"I didn't kick the dog that hard!" is a back-asswards defense for any sort of abuse including animal abuse. Violence is violence. It's an exertion of physical force meant to harm another person or being. There's no "almost-violence" or "gentle-violence". You either kick a dog and get fairly branded as violent and abusive, or you don't kick a dog.

It wasn't even a light tap with his feet, it was a proper kick. 4 times.

Soselo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Soselo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Soselo wrote:I don't follow, I just don't agree with there being a legal sanction for his actions because of the rubbish that comes with there being such authorities.

You think people should be able to treat animals cruelly with no consequences?

Of fucking course not! I just doubt the punishment he received would've served the intended long-term purpose, as it would seem.
Last edited by Soselo on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Soselo wrote:

Oh sure, you're just another concerned poster who just happens to stumble upon news stories and posts his Controversial Opinions about them on NSG.

Yeah, I totally get it. Nudge-nudge, wink-wink, saynomore.
Last edited by Avenio on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soselo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Soselo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:20 pm

Avenio wrote:
Soselo wrote:I don't follow, I just don't agree with there being a legal sanction for his actions because of the rubbish that comes with there being such authorities.

Oh sure, you're just another concerned poster who just happens to stumble upon news stories and posts your Controversial Opinions about them on NSG.

My opinion isn't even controversial, I just think he should've been punished in another manner.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:20 pm

Soselo wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:You think people should be able to treat animals cruelly with no consequences?

Of fucking course not!

I don't follow, I just don't agree with there being a legal sanction for his actions

There's a contradiction there.
When the war is over
Got to start again

Monkeykind
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Monkeykind » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:21 pm

Soselo wrote:
Avenio wrote:
Oh sure, you're just another concerned poster who just happens to stumble upon news stories and posts your Controversial Opinions about them on NSG.

My opinion isn't even controversial, I just think he should've been punished in another manner.

No one is agreeing with you on this.

Soselo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Soselo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:22 pm

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
Soselo wrote:Of fucking course not!

I don't follow, I just don't agree with there being a legal sanction for his actions

There isn't, he should've been punished but by an authority that isn't a legal one. I think the sanctions he received should've been more along the lines of public shaming, ostracism, even teasing.

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:24 pm

What i fail to understand is why was the dog just laying there and taking his kicks.
Last edited by Great Kleomentia on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hue

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:24 pm

Soselo wrote:
Avenio wrote:

Hey, you don't need to explain it to me. I get it. Nudge-nudge, wink-wink, saynomore.

Monkeykind
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Monkeykind » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:24 pm

Soselo wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:

There isn't, he should've been punished but by an authority that isn't a legal one. I think the sanctions he received should've been more along the lines of public shaming, ostracism, even teasing.

Seriously? He kicked a dog several times and you suggest his punishment being teasing!?

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:25 pm

Soselo wrote:
Avenio wrote:

You want him punished but you don't want him punished? Seems legit.
hue

Soselo
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Soselo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:25 pm

Great Kleomentia wrote:What i fail to understand is why was the dog just laying there and taking his kicks.

It was likely used to a kicking or two... or three, or four.

Monkeykind
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Monkeykind » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:26 pm

Great Kleomentia wrote:
Soselo wrote:My opinion isn't even controversial, I just think he should've been punished in another manner.

You want him punished but you don't want him punished? Seems legit.

The OP has no good arguments.

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:26 pm

Soselo wrote:
Great Kleomentia wrote:What i fail to understand is why was the dog just laying there and taking his kicks.

Then the dog should be taken away and be given a safe home.
hue

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:26 pm

Soselo wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:

There isn't, he should've been punished but by an authority that isn't a legal one.

Like who? His mommy?
Preventing unnecessary cruelty to living things is in the public interest. Demanding an end to legal punishments for animal cruelty is tantamount to endorsing it.
Soselo wrote: I think the sanctions he received should've been more along the lines of public shaming, ostracism, even teasing.

Oh, he'll get that (not that it matters because he's rich and can afford to live in an echo chamber). If it makes you feel better, he's probably rich enough to dodge any charges, just like how our justice system is meant to work.
He should be tarred and feathered, frankly. No excuse for what he did.
Soselo wrote:

You're arguing against yourself at this point.
Last edited by The Tiger Kingdom on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When the war is over
Got to start again

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General