NATION

PASSWORD

Teens, Romance, and Murder in Wylie High School

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Teens, Romance, and Murder in Wylie High School

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:39 am

A Collin County judge ruled Friday that Brenden Bridges, one of the teens accused in the murder of a Wylie high school student, will be tried as an adult.

Police say Bridges and a friend killed 17-year-old Wylie East High School student Ivan Mejia in March over a girl.

Bridges and the other suspect lured Mejia behind Wylie East High and strangled him, investigators say.

The judge's decision on Friday came after a week of intense and emotional testimony.

Prosecutors argued Mejia's death was cold-blooded, premeditated, physical and done without remorse. They also pointed out that Bridges turned 17 just four days after the crime.

It was revealed during the hearing that Bridges told mutual friends, "I want Ivan out of the way so I can be with her. You don't understand, sometimes I want to kill him,” and "It would be easier if Ivan was out of the picture. Ivan is dead to me."

The defense attorney read texts he claims Mejia sent to Bridges, saying, "I was her first for everything. I love her,” "You don't know me well enough. It's better if you stay away from both of our lives,” and "I'm going to hunt you down like a little pig. You better watch your back this time."

The defense told the court that Bridges responded with his own text, saying, “Don't threaten me."

Investigators testified that Bridges' alleged accomplice said Bridges believed he could get away with killing his romantic rival because he was an avid viewer of the TV drama series Dexter, which is about a serial killer who goes after criminals who slip through the court system.

Bridges has been transferred from a juvenile facility to the Collin County jail.

If convicted, he could face 40 years in prison.

The other suspect, who is 16 years old, is due in court next week where a judge will decide whether or not he, too, will be tried as an adult.

So, what do you guys think? I think the judge did right in making the choice of giving him a trial as an adult. Further, I think this is a kid who didn't know what he was doing and nobody has ever told him the difference between fact and fiction, which Dexter clearly is, fiction.

A further question to ponder is, is it ever okay to harm someone else for the sake of "love"? Is it acceptable to kill someone over wanting to be with them? Or do you guys think this is just another symptom of the macho attitude in certain portions of America? Or is it something completely different?

I don't think harming other people for the sake of "love" or other ideal is correct except for self-defense, so I think that this only furthers the notion that there's certain things that need to be changed, such as the notion that you do anything for love and such other maxims that are noxious for society.

But what say you, NSG?
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:42 am

he knew what he was doing. I see no reason not to try him as an adult.

and no it is never right to try to get rid of romantic rivals through violence. a sweetheart is a person not a prize to be won.
whatever

54e
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby 54e » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:46 am

This is really sad. Violence is never the answer. The kid should be tried as an adult.

Conkerials
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Conkerials » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:46 am

He killed a guy, and he's 17. He clearly knows what he was doing, and had knowledge of the consequences. He should be punished accordingly, and the judge did right by that part. However, I feel the sentence may be slightly too elongated. Yes, he killed a guy. Yes, he needs to be punished. However, you're locking him up for literally most of his life where he will lose the ability to gain any social skills and the ability to work anywhere due to lack of prior experience.

The sentence is setting the kid up for doom.
I'm just me
Compass
Economic Left
/Right: -7.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.69

Great Kleomentia
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kleomentia » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:48 am

Ashmoria wrote:he knew what he was doing. I see no reason not to try him as an adult.

and no it is never right to try to get rid of romantic rivals through violence. a sweetheart is a person not a prize to be won.

^
hue

Kiruri
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiruri » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:49 am

Soldati senza confini wrote:
A Collin County judge ruled Friday that Brenden Bridges, one of the teens accused in the murder of a Wylie high school student, will be tried as an adult.

Police say Bridges and a friend killed 17-year-old Wylie East High School student Ivan Mejia in March over a girl.

Bridges and the other suspect lured Mejia behind Wylie East High and strangled him, investigators say.

The judge's decision on Friday came after a week of intense and emotional testimony.

Prosecutors argued Mejia's death was cold-blooded, premeditated, physical and done without remorse. They also pointed out that Bridges turned 17 just four days after the crime.

It was revealed during the hearing that Bridges told mutual friends, "I want Ivan out of the way so I can be with her. You don't understand, sometimes I want to kill him,” and "It would be easier if Ivan was out of the picture. Ivan is dead to me."

The defense attorney read texts he claims Mejia sent to Bridges, saying, "I was her first for everything. I love her,” "You don't know me well enough. It's better if you stay away from both of our lives,” and "I'm going to hunt you down like a little pig. You better watch your back this time."

The defense told the court that Bridges responded with his own text, saying, “Don't threaten me."

Investigators testified that Bridges' alleged accomplice said Bridges believed he could get away with killing his romantic rival because he was an avid viewer of the TV drama series Dexter, which is about a serial killer who goes after criminals who slip through the court system.

Bridges has been transferred from a juvenile facility to the Collin County jail.

If convicted, he could face 40 years in prison.

The other suspect, who is 16 years old, is due in court next week where a judge will decide whether or not he, too, will be tried as an adult.

So, what do you guys think? I think the judge did right in making the choice of giving him a trial as an adult. Further, I think this is a kid who didn't know what he was doing and nobody has ever told him the difference between fact and fiction, which Dexter clearly is, fiction.

A further question to ponder is, is it ever okay to harm someone else for the sake of "love"? Is it acceptable to kill someone over wanting to be with them? Or do you guys think this is just another symptom of the macho attitude in certain portions of America? Or is it something completely different?

I don't think harming other people for the sake of "love" or other ideal is correct except for self-defense, so I think that this only furthers the notion that there's certain things that need to be changed, such as the notion that you do anything for love and such other maxims that are noxious for society.

But what say you, NSG?

I could do with some more information... but anyway, I too think the judge did the right thing by having him tried as an adult. I think this is a kid who knew exactly what he was doing. It seems pretty much premeditated. I don't put any blame on Dexter when it seems that the guy was clearly not sane. I have no idea what you mean with the "macho" attitude at all. I don't see any correlation. I just think the killer(s) were a little bit insane.

I also agree with you that harming others or oneself "in the name of love" is completely idiotic, though I don't think many people go to the lengths of killing others "in the name of love", more like other small and not illicit things, which is perfectly okay.
I'm BIwinning
CelebrateBisexualityDaySeptember 23rd
Costa Rican
Dirty Paws!
d(^o^)b¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸
=^..^=

Cu Math
Senator

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cu Math » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:51 am

He killed a person in a premeditated act and had planned to hide the evidence.
Try him as an adult for murder in the first degree.
Those who are not willing to support us are second-rate nations, but first-rate main courses.
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
From the Council of Terrible Elders
Distributor of Potato Medals
Acolyte of the NSG Sodomy Club
Requiescat In Pacem, Dyakovo. You were the best of us
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Divair's Big Guide to Proving Evolution
Atheist, Bisexual and Bagpiper
Palestinian-Scottish-American

The One And Only Duke Of The Potato

Frazers
Minister

Founded: Mar 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Frazers » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:52 am

Its a good judgement. I'm not sure how it could be argued otherwise. If it was a crime committed in the heat of the moment I'd hold out more hope for rehabilitation but this is a cold blooded killer. I'd be interested to see what personality disorder he gets labeled with though.

Kiruri
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kiruri » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:52 am

Conkerials wrote:He killed a guy, and he's 17. He clearly knows what he was doing, and had knowledge of the consequences. He should be punished accordingly, and the judge did right by that part. However, I feel the sentence may be slightly too elongated. Yes, he killed a guy. Yes, he needs to be punished. However, you're locking him up for literally most of his life where he will lose the ability to gain any social skills and the ability to work anywhere due to lack of prior experience.

his actions set the kid up for doom.
I'm BIwinning
Costa Rican
Dirty Paws!
d(^o^)b¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸
=^..^=

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:54 am

Cu Math wrote:He killed a person in a premeditated act and had planned to hide the evidence.

Agreed.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:58 am

Kiruri wrote:

But what say you, NSG?

I could do with some more information... but anyway, I too think the judge did the right thing by having him tried as an adult. I think this is a kid who knew exactly what he was doing. It seems pretty much premeditated. I don't put any blame on Dexter when it seems that the guy was clearly not sane. I have no idea what you mean with the "macho" attitude at all. I don't see any correlation. I just think the killer(s) were a little bit insane.

I also agree with you that harming others or oneself "in the name of love" is completely idiotic, though I don't think many people go to the lengths of killing others "in the name of love", more like other small and not illicit things, which is perfectly okay.

What I mean with the "macho" attitude is that certain men feel like their honor/pride/whathaveyou is important, and if they don't have what they want (in this case the girl) is an affront to their masculinity so they will go at lengths to make sure they actually get it - including getting rid of a perceived "rival". Often also represented in the media.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:59 am

It was an appropriate sentence.

No, you can never kill someone over "lurv." This is the 21st century, not goddamn feudal times.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Kiruri
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Kiruri » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:04 am

Kiruri wrote:

What I mean with the "macho" attitude is that certain men feel like their honor/pride/whathaveyou is important, and if they don't have what they want (in this case the girl) is an affront to their masculinity so they will go at lengths to make sure they actually get it - including getting rid of a perceived "rival". Often also represented in the media.

Ah, well, I think that has nothing to do with this case.
Last edited by Kiruri on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm BIwinning
Costa Rican
Dirty Paws!
d(^o^)b¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸
=^..^=

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:08 am

Kiruri wrote:
Conkerials wrote:He killed a guy, and he's 17. He clearly knows what he was doing, and had knowledge of the consequences. He should be punished accordingly, and the judge did right by that part. However, I feel the sentence may be slightly too elongated. Yes, he killed a guy. Yes, he needs to be punished. However, you're locking him up for literally most of his life where he will lose the ability to gain any social skills and the ability to work anywhere due to lack of prior experience.

his actions set the kid up for doom.

If they're going to lock him up that long, they should just go ahead and make it life. A 40 year sentence helps no one and serves no purpose. It's just not practical to lock someone up for that long and then dump them back out into the world where they will not have the skills and experience to support themselves effectively.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:09 am

Fighting over girls hurts people.

Solution: ban heterosexual relationships. No more fighting over girls.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:10 am

Cu Math wrote:He killed a person in a premeditated act and had planned to hide the evidence.

You don't fucking try people who are not adults by definition as adults.

You are giving them the responsibilities of an adult, but they don't have adult rights.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."

Gaiserin
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaiserin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:30 am

Well that was dark.

The New Sea Territory wrote:Fighting over girls hurts people.

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"
Last edited by Gaiserin on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
■■▀■▀■▀■▀▀▀■■■

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:30 am

The New Sea Territory wrote:

You are giving them the responsibilities of an adult, but they don't have adult rights.

They have the cognitive ability of an adult on deciding whether or not to murder someone, despite what law books define an adult us. We shouldn't ignore that and put them on the same level as a minor who genuinely doesn't know what they're doing.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:37 am

Giovenith wrote:

They have the cognitive ability of an adult on deciding whether or not to murder someone, despite what law books define an adult us. We shouldn't ignore that and put them on the same level as a minor who genuinely doesn't know what they're doing.

But if they don't have the legal rights of being 18 then they don't have the legal responsibilities of being 18.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:37 am

Gaiserin wrote:Well that was dark.

The New Sea Territory wrote:Fighting over girls hurts people.

Sure we can. They only cause problems, harm, are immoral and have no value.

Alcase
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alcase » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:40 am

40 years?!

What a light sentence for such a horrific murder.
Overview of Alcase
Alcasian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Alcasian Armed Forces

Track & XC 400m, 800m, 1600m, 5000m
2014 FHSAA XC Finals - 9th Place
2014 FHSAA XC Region 3A1 Runner-Ups
2014 BCAA Championship Runner-Ups
2014 Spanish River Invitational Boy's Champions Runner-Up
2013 FHSAA XC Finals - 12th Place
2013 Cardinal Gibbons Invitational Boy's Champions
2013 3A State Championship Boy's 4 x 800m - 3rd Place
2013 District 3A-15 Boy's Champions

Gaiserin
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaiserin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:42 am

Gaiserin wrote:Well that was dark.

Sure we can. They only cause problems, harm, are immoral and have no value.

Now now, it isn't nice to hate the majority, even if you're a rapid LGBT warrior~
■■▀■▀■▀■▀▀▀■■■

Couasia
Diplomat

Founded: May 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Couasia » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:45 am

Try the brat as an adult. He's 17, he clearly knows what he's doing.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:45 am

Isn't that the consequence of committing a murder though?
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:47 am

Couasia wrote:Try the brat as an adult. He's 17, he clearly knows what he's doing.

Ah, yes. Let's make a minor have all the legal responsibilities of an adult, but fuck giving him his legal rights he deserves as an adult. :roll:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General