NATION

PASSWORD

Russia sentenced to pay 50 billion $ compensation

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Russia sentenced to pay 50 billion $ compensation

Postby Baltenstein » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:37 am

The Hague has sentenced the Russian government to pay a huge amount of compensation for the hostile takeover of Yukos, the former company of Mikhail Khodorkovsky.

(Reuters) - The Hague's arbitration court ruled on Monday that Russia must pay a group of shareholders in oil giant Yukos $50.02 billion for expropriating its assets, a big hit for a country teetering on the brink of recession.

The arbitration panel in the Netherlands said it had awarded shareholders in the GML group just under half of their $114 billion claim, going some way to covering the money they lost when the Kremlin seized Yukos, once controlled by Mikhail Khodorkovsky, a decade ago.

"The award is a slam dunk. It is for $50 billion, and that cannot be disputed," said Tim Osborne, director of GML. "It's now a question of enforcing it."

Russia's Finance Ministry called the ruling "flawed", "one-sided" and "politically biased" and said it would appeal the decision. It comes as Russia and the West are in their biggest stand-off since the Cold War over Moscow's actions in Ukraine.

Russia argued that the court ignored tax violations by Yukos and said it was senseless and speculative to value Yukos so long after the events. Lawyers, however, said there were only limited grounds on which to appeal.

The panel of judges, which has been reviewing the case since 2005, concluded that officials under President Vladimir Putin had manipulated the legal system to bankrupt Yukos.

"Yukos was the object of a series of politically motivated attacks by the Russian authorities that eventually led to its destruction," the court said. "The primary objective of the Russian Federation was not to collect taxes but rather to bankrupt Yukos and appropriate its valuable assets."

Source

This will probably strain the relations between Russia and the West in general and the Netherlands in particular even more. I also don't think it very likely that Russia is really going to pay the - considerable - amount to the suers. It might even flat out refuse.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Aurulie
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurulie » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:39 am

Baltenstein wrote:The Hague has sentenced the Russian government to pay a huge amount of compensation for the hostile takeover of Yukos, the former company of Mikhail Khodorkovsky.

(Reuters) - The Hague's arbitration court ruled on Monday that Russia must pay a group of shareholders in oil giant Yukos $50.02 billion for expropriating its assets, a big hit for a country teetering on the brink of recession.

The arbitration panel in the Netherlands said it had awarded shareholders in the GML group just under half of their $114 billion claim, going some way to covering the money they lost when the Kremlin seized Yukos, once controlled by Mikhail Khodorkovsky, a decade ago.

"The award is a slam dunk. It is for $50 billion, and that cannot be disputed," said Tim Osborne, director of GML. "It's now a question of enforcing it."

Russia's Finance Ministry called the ruling "flawed", "one-sided" and "politically biased" and said it would appeal the decision. It comes as Russia and the West are in their biggest stand-off since the Cold War over Moscow's actions in Ukraine.

Russia argued that the court ignored tax violations by Yukos and said it was senseless and speculative to value Yukos so long after the events. Lawyers, however, said there were only limited grounds on which to appeal.

The panel of judges, which has been reviewing the case since 2005, concluded that officials under President Vladimir Putin had manipulated the legal system to bankrupt Yukos.

"Yukos was the object of a series of politically motivated attacks by the Russian authorities that eventually led to its destruction," the court said. "The primary objective of the Russian Federation was not to collect taxes but rather to bankrupt Yukos and appropriate its valuable assets."

Source

This will probably strain the relations between Russia and the West in general and the Netherlands in particular even more. I also don't think it very likely that Russia is really going to pay the - considerable - amount to the suers. It might even flat out refuse.

Screw that. Russia won't play petty games.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:44 am

If the appeals court upholds the lower courts decision then chances are they will try to located any Russian government owned property in Western Europe in order to confiscate and sell in order to gather the $50 Billion.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:20 am

Aurulie wrote:
Baltenstein wrote:The Hague has sentenced the Russian government to pay a huge amount of compensation for the hostile takeover of Yukos, the former company of Mikhail Khodorkovsky.

Source

Screw that. Russia won't play petty games.

Edit: Nevermind.
Last edited by The Scientific States on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:25 am

The Scientific States wrote:
Aurulie wrote:Screw that. Russia won't play petty games.

Paying for the damages caused to Ukraine, and being rightfully punished isn't "petty games."

This isn't related to Ukraine. It's about the expropriation of Yukos assets.
Last edited by Geilinor on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Christiaanistan
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Christiaanistan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:38 am

Although this case was started long before the whole thing with Ukraine, I think that the timing of the ruling itself is absolutely the most delicious thing that I have heard in years.
I just might move to Calabash and start pretending that the rest of the world sank to the bottom of the ocean.

Alcase
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alcase » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:42 am

Something the West doesn't understand, but Jessica Williams put nicely...

Putin doesn't give a shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvH73m_XGn0
Last edited by Alcase on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Overview of Alcase
Alcasian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Alcasian Armed Forces

Track & XC 400m, 800m, 1600m, 5000m
2014 FHSAA XC Finals - 9th Place
2014 FHSAA XC Region 3A1 Runner-Ups
2014 BCAA Championship Runner-Ups
2014 Spanish River Invitational Boy's Champions Runner-Up
2013 FHSAA XC Finals - 12th Place
2013 Cardinal Gibbons Invitational Boy's Champions
2013 3A State Championship Boy's 4 x 800m - 3rd Place
2013 District 3A-15 Boy's Champions

Snowfall the Unicorn
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Snowfall the Unicorn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:43 am

HAHA. Of course Russia is going to say anything negative against them has every flaw they can possibly come up with at the moment. I'm for this just because I'm anti-Russia :lol2:

Christiaanistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Christiaanistan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:48 am

Alcase wrote:Something the West doesn't understand, but Jessica Williams put nicely...

Putin doesn't give a shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvH73m_XGn0
Then we'll just have to keep kicking him until he is too incapacitated to cause any trouble.
I just might move to Calabash and start pretending that the rest of the world sank to the bottom of the ocean.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:49 am

Christiaanistan wrote:Although this case was started long before the whole thing with Ukraine, I think that the timing of the ruling itself is absolutely the most delicious thing that I have heard in years.

"Coincidences must be related" is flawed logic. Can you prove the ruling is politically motivated?

Christiaanistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Christiaanistan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:52 am

Geilinor wrote:
Christiaanistan wrote:Although this case was started long before the whole thing with Ukraine, I think that the timing of the ruling itself is absolutely the most delicious thing that I have heard in years.

"Coincidences must be related" is flawed logic. Can you prove the ruling is politically motivated?
Now, would you update me on which part of my post actually implied that I thought the ruling was politically motivated, please? Either I am having trouble keeping up, or there is something wrong with our communication system.
Last edited by Christiaanistan on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:53 am

Christiaanistan wrote:
Geilinor wrote:"Coincidences must be related" is flawed logic. Can you prove the ruling is politically motivated?
Now, would you update me on which part of my post actually implied that I thought the ruling was politically motivated, please? Either I am having trouble keeping up, or there is something wrong with our communication system.

You found something suspicious with the timing, or you wouldn't have mentioned it.

Christiaanistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Christiaanistan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:56 am

Geilinor wrote:
Christiaanistan wrote:Now, would you update me on which part of my post actually implied that I thought the ruling was politically motivated, please? Either I am having trouble keeping up, or there is something wrong with our communication system.

You found something suspicious with the timing, or you wouldn't have mentioned it.
All that I suspect is serendipity.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Let them pass along the costs, as US corporations do.

Higher energy bills for Europe.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Vamtrl
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vamtrl » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:46 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Let them pass along the costs, as US corporations do.

Higher energy bills for Europe.

More incentive to break away from relying on Russia's gas! Yusssss!

Other Thafoo
Minister

Founded: Mar 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Other Thafoo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:51 pm

Putin couldn't care less. He's a comicbook villain.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:54 pm

As though Putin gives a damn. If Russia were being led by reasonable people, this might matter. It isn't so it doesn't.
Insert trite farewell here

Vamtrl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vamtrl » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Russia doesn't exist in a bubble, sanctions would hurt their growing economy since the majority of their trade is exporting their natural resources. Though an article I read about China and Russia says that is soon to change. I would have enjoyed seeing Russia kicked in the balls :(

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:03 pm

Vamtrl wrote:Russia doesn't exist in a bubble, sanctions would hurt their growing economy since the majority of their trade is exporting their natural resources. Though an article I read about China and Russia says that is soon to change. I would have enjoyed seeing Russia kicked in the balls :(

I don't want to see Russia "kicked in the balls" and I don't know why you would either. What I want is a change in leadership and policy.
Insert trite farewell here

Vamtrl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vamtrl » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Vamtrl wrote:Russia doesn't exist in a bubble, sanctions would hurt their growing economy since the majority of their trade is exporting their natural resources. Though an article I read about China and Russia says that is soon to change. I would have enjoyed seeing Russia kicked in the balls :(

I don't want to see Russia "kicked in the balls" and I don't know why you would either. What I want is a change in leadership and policy.

And what I want is to see is Russia kicked in the balls, maybe we can have both in the future?

Jawyhria
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jawyhria » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:12 pm

I wonder how much they'd to pay as compensation for the crimes they commited in Chechenya and Dagestan. Not that it would help alleviate the situation in these countries, though.
Last edited by Jawyhria on Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who believe fight in the Cause of God, and those who disbelieve fight in the cause of idolatry, so fight against the allies of Satan; indeed, the plot of Satan has ever been weak."

Every Muslim should watch this video!

Techno-Titania
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Titania » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:14 pm

Lol. Putin will shoot the ole ignore cannon.
~ Placing the Constitution in the hands of the uneducated makes it worth less than the paper it is printed upon

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:29 pm

Vamtrl wrote:
Scomagia wrote:I don't want to see Russia "kicked in the balls" and I don't know why you would either. What I want is a change in leadership and policy.

And what I want is to see is Russia kicked in the balls, maybe we can have both in the future?

Mother Russia has balls? :shock:
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Other Thafoo
Minister

Founded: Mar 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Other Thafoo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:31 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Vamtrl wrote:

Vamtrl
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vamtrl » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:34 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Vamtrl wrote:

In Russia, woman has the balls!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General