NATION

PASSWORD

The Bonaparte Legacy (Alt History/OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
New Granadeseret
Minister

Founded: Apr 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

The Bonaparte Legacy (Alt History/OOC)

Postby New Granadeseret » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:44 pm

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
-Napoleon I, Emperor of The French, King of Italy, Protector of the Poles and Conqueror of Europe

IC: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=306569
Map (Rought draft/Not Offical): http://i.imgur.com/pnUZDGg.png

The sun rises on the year 1860, over the gleaming city of Paris. It is a city full of good, brave men and proper women, of flowing commerce and grand buildings of all assortments; the world capital of culture and civilization. Like a phoenix, it has risen from the ashes of The Revolution, emerging young and strong as the 6 decade strong hegemon of Europe. However, underneath all the glitz and glamour lie the stains of blood that built and maintain the French Empire; celebrated in the city's crowing monument, the Arch de Triumph, in honor of it's architect Napoleon Bonaparte; worshiped as a god or reviled as a demon, depending on who you ask.

Having risen the ranks of the unstable, war-torn Revolutionary France on the updraft of his grapeshot, the young Corsican officer proved neigh unbeatable on the battlefield; taking his ragged armies and breaking the swords of both the Austrian and Ottoman Empire's before even gaining any true political rank. Single-handedly reshaping the rabble he'd inherited from the Dicatore into a world-class army, it was his sword that carried the light of the Revolution's principals across Europe, leaving the old feudal principles strewn dead in his wake. Using his tactical mastery, he defeated the Coalitions of the reactionary monarchies not once, but three times, the last completely engulfing the militaristic Prussians and bring the entire German-speaking world to it's heel and blunting the Russian bear at Friedland; the battle which shattered the fragile alliance between Great Britain and Russia. On July 7th, 1807, the two Emperors met on rafts on the River Nieman, forming the treat which would bring the first extended peace in Europe in a great while. Prussia found her territory cut apart, to be granted to the the newly-formed Duchy of Warsaw, forced into French vassaldom with the Emperor garrisoning all her fortresses. The Tsar, aligning with the French, agreed to join The Continental System; the Napoleonic Empire's program of economic warfare against the Coalition puppet-master in Britain, stepping in to protect Denmark when Britain tried to sink their navies and pry open their harbors. Free in the East, the Grand Armee and the Emperor himself were able to take part in the campaign against Portugal, Napoleon's tactical genius and the weight of numbers and cannon defeating the petty British force under General Wellington, the Portuguese in full retreat from her borders when the campaigning season started in 1808, her remaining military and government fleeing to the New World and cutting off the entirety of the European market for Great Britain. With France lifting her blockade and impressment of American shipping, and tensions building in the young nation as anti-British sentiments grew due to the collapse of the Pro-British Federalists, the last nation resisting French domination of the continent surrendered in 1809, bring about the victory of secularism, civil law, and republicanism in Europe.

Or... at least, that was the rhetoric. Despite the many promises made to the people of Europe, the Empire of the French, like so many before it, feel short of it's ideals. Despite preaching rights and order for all men, France sailed back to Santa Domingo, the same men who had freed the Poles putting the African back in chains. Despite preaching freedom of property, the French armies confiscated many churches and the estates of foreign nobility, turning them over to Frenchmen. Despite calling for self-determination and Republicanism, much of Europe remained under the rule of kings and Emperors, several of them Bonaparte's relatives. Overnight, cherished traditions were overturned, replaced by the wholly alien French systems of law, and ripping up the patriarchal relations of the landowners and church and structures of the urban guilds by the root. In the new world it was no better; France's sale of Louisiana to the young United States as a symbol of their friendship merely raised further tensions between the slave-holding South and the free North, where the Federalist party managed to survive and rebuild itself slowly as protest of France's foreign policy and attempts to depress American industrial potential; a sense of Yankee nationalism rising in opposition to the threat of Slave Power over the economy and Southern dominance undermining the Northern way of life. Other territories in the Americas, seeing their homeland overrun and puppeted by the French, chose to follow in the examples of their American brethren, gaining independence from Spain. Across the English channel and along the Amazon, the British and Portuguese continue their ancient alliance, subtly trying to undermine French dominance and playing a Great Game for influence over Asia and Eastern Europe, where tensions remain between two of France's nominal allies: The Russian Empire and The Ottoman Empire. In Asia, China remains a weak, divided entity, slowly dissolving to Warlordism and losing ground to European economic dominance, while Japan has resently been opened up to the world, bringing the traditionalist attitudes of the Shogun and his right to rule into question. The death of Napoleon II and the assent of the first Bonaparte's young grandson, Napoleon III, to the throne has caused a slight hiccup in French control; a crack in the wall which has opened the way for various repressed forces to bubble to the surface.

Rules
Rule I: Though shalt not Mod any Gods before me: Self-explanatory. Everything you do has to happen for a explainable reason, and can't be too wacky or out-of-character. An example of breaking the first principle would be having an army of 20,000 teleport to the Americas. And example of the later would be the British throwing the Portugese; their oldest and most loyal ally, under the bus.

Rule II: Though shalt not be an idle: If you're not going to be reasonably active, please don't sign up. Also, reservations are only good for 12 hours: be sure to finish them before that.

Rule III: The shalt not use they language in vain: Please keep content and discussion civil, or at least period appropriate (speaking in positive terms about slavery or acting in shock to an atheist state would thus be acceptable, within limits)

Rule IV: Though shalt remember the Cannon and kept it holy IE. The Canon is the law. If an event has already been established to have happened (by a nation reflecting on their own history, for instance) please keep this in mid and do not contradict it, and keep it in mind if need be (A war between the US and Britain in the resent past would make them reluctant to buddy-up, for instance)

Rule V: Honor thigh Limitations Most empires have ethnic tensions that will make it hard to get full support of anything or keep perfect stability. Sheer political inerta means you have to have a very successful and political-capital-endowed leader/faction or very dire circumstances to make radical changes to your social structure. Russia and The Ottoman Empire aren't industrial powerhouses who can turn out millions of guns on the drop of a hat. Keep these things in mind, and many arguments can be avoided.

Rule VI: Do Kill BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE. Seriously; have some conflicts at some point; just keep in mind Rule VI

Rule VII: Do Commit Adult-ness: Avoid text-speak and generally childish ways of writing; we're all adults here

Rule VIII: Don't Steal too much stuff: Gather some secret intelligence is alright, but you don't know exactly what's happening in the palace of a nation on the other side of Europe; if they're moving troops, making major visible changes, ect. you can act like you know, but if it's written in a way that seems secret, keep it secret.

Rule IV: Nothing clever to say here Covet they neighbors stuff all you want

Rule X: Don't boil a kid in it's mother's milk: If you do, you're kicked out of the RP. A general rule against being too graphic; not too much blood or gore or smexy time.

Extra Rule: Changes to the tentative map are fine; however, radical changes will require good history, and I'd rather to make any more countries then their already are: if one gets split, another is getting removed. Unless it is by event: those will happen to create tension and stimulate activity.

Roster
British Commonwealth:San Monteriano
The French Empire: Britanania
The Glorious Empire of Brazil/Portugal: Aden Protectorate
Russia: Segmentia
The Ottoman Empire : New Granadeseret
The Austrian Empire: Prince-Bishopric Of Liege

Reservations
Gran Colombia: Alcase
Ezo Republic: Yuzhou
Prussia: Ublia

NS Name:
Nation Name: (You are encouraged to include both its formal name and its informal name)
Head of State:
Head of Government:

Government Form:
Ideology: (Political, not economic)
Foreign Policy: (How does your nation see the world? What is its stance or position on issues outside its country? What are it's relations with the major powers IE France, Britain, Russia, and The Ottoman Empire )
Domestic Policy: (How does your nation internally operate?)
Civil Freedoms /10:
Political Freedoms /10:
Economic Freedoms /10:

Military Size:
Military Description: (ie, quality of equipment, doctrine, etc.)
Strengths and Weaknesses: (What is your military good at, and what is it bad at?)

Description of Your Nation's Economy:
Description of Your Nation's Government:
Short History of the last 60 years:
Population of entire empire:
Last edited by New Granadeseret on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Stannis was robbed.

Kraannei
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kraannei » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:52 pm

Greetings! Looks like this RP has a ton of potential.

The Communist Manifesto was created in 1848 and was relatively quickly distributed in many languages throughout North Africa, western Asia and Europe.

Do you think I could make an early orthodox Marxist state?

EDIT: I see that all the countries are pre-determined. Can that be changed?
Last edited by Kraannei on Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Granadeseret
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Granadeseret » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:00 pm

Kraannei wrote:Greetings! Looks like this RP has a ton of potential.

The Communist Manifesto was created in 1848 and was relatively quickly distributed in many languages throughout North Africa, western Asia and Europe.

This is just a default map: the sort of thing that would remain if no player-made historical events or nations alter it. This is so non-claimed areas have NPC's with nations in them who can be interacted with (besides uncolonized Africa and tribal Central Asia)

Since the Commune of Paris (arguably the first Communist state) doesn't show up for over a decade, I'm leaning to saying no. However, if you can explain the history (Remember, if it's anywhere in Europe it would likely be crushed) I'd be willing to consider it.. The New World, open to new political ideas after throwing off Europe, seems like the best place for it. Just avoid The United States, if you'd be so kind; there it would be culturally hard to justify
Last edited by New Granadeseret on Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stannis was robbed.

Kraannei
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kraannei » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:03 pm

New Granadeseret wrote:
Kraannei wrote:Greetings! Looks like this RP has a ton of potential.

This is just a default map: the sort of thing that would remain if no player-made historical events or nations alter it. This is so non-claimed areas have NPC's with nations in them who can be interacted with (besides uncolonized Africa and tribal Central Asia)

Since the Commune of Paris (arguably the first Communist state) doesn't show up for over a decade, I'm leaning to saying no. However, if you can explain the history (Remember, if it's anywhere in Europe it would likely be crushed) I'd be willing to consider it.. The New World, open to new political ideas after throwing off Europe, seems like the best place for it. Just avoid The United States, if you'd be so kind; there it would be culturally hard to justify

Seems reasonable. :)

Would creating a rebel group be appropriate?

San Monteriano
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby San Monteriano » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:09 pm

NS Name: San Monteriano, The Grand Duchy of
Nation Name: The Commonwealth of the British Isles, or simply Britain
Head of State: Hiram Burrows, Lord Regent and Protector of the Isles
Head of Government: Gisbert Cox, Prime Minister

Government Form: Constitutional monarchy (de jure); semi-parliamentary democracy (de facto)
Ideology: Authoritarianism; British nationalism
Foreign Policy: Britain considers itself a natural ally of Portugal, and attempts to undermine French continental influence and power wherever possibly.
Domestic Policy: Though superficially a parliamentary democracy, Britain is under the absolute influence of it's Lord Regent and Governor-General, Hiram Burrows. The government enforces its will through fear, primarily a fear of war and pestilence; the native population remains relatively docile because of this. Prime Minister Gisbert Cox promotes mercantilism as economic policy.
Civil Freedoms /10: 5
Political Freedoms /10: 3
Economic Freedoms /10: 7

Military Size: 250,000 (regular, based on 1813 statistics); 1,470,000 (irregular/colonial); 500,000 (reserve)
Military Description: The British Army favours quality over quantity in both recruitment and equipment, choosing to arm it's ranks with only the finest the British pound sterling can buy. As such, they rely on comprehensive strategy and tactics in warfare rather than sheer brute strength. (ie, quality of equipment, doctrine, etc.) Due to the island nature of Britain, it is heavily dependent on it's infamous Royal Navy, which is one of the largest, if not the largest, naval powers in the world.
Strengths and Weaknesses: (What is your military good at, and what is it bad at?)
    + Well-trained and equipped
    + Meritocratic: military commanders are picked purely on their ability
    + Strong naval capacity
    - Lacks numbers to mount full-scale foreign invasions (by itself)
    - Reliant on naval strength
    - Forces stretched across colonial holdings
Description of Your Nation's Economy: A balance of both free market economics and state mercantilism. Largely dependent on the developments of the Industrial Revolution, providing lucrative wealth; Britain's colonial territories also provide trade, precious raw materials and resources that contribute to the economic powerhouse.
Description of Your Nation's Government: With the absence of a monarch, a Lord Regent is instead appointed by Parliament to serve as head of state. However, in recent years, this once largely ceremonial role has become more pivotal in politics, and they exercise absolute power delegated from Parliament. The Prime Minister administers the daily administration of the sprawling bureaucratic government and enforces the will of both Parliament and the Lord Regent.
Short History of the last 60 years: Britain, a once proud and industrious nation, has been embroiled in numerous continental and often colonial conflicts over the last sixty years, though that has not yet crippled the resolve of the British people, but merely wounded it. With a fully-fledged empire stretching across the world, they are oft thought to be unrivalled in the same power. Yet, the French hegemony in Europe proves otherwise, and Britain itself has had to pass under the yoke of Napoleon I. In the Orient, Britain has struggled to retain its power, particularly its dominion over India.

In Britain, dissent had been growing among the populace, particularly in Ireland, where many advocated home rule independent from Westminster. To combat and quell this domestic opposition, Parliament appointed hard-liner and authoritarian Hiram Burrows, former Governor-General of India and spymaster, who implemented scare tactics across the British Isles, warning of imminent war and a new plague from India and the East. Burrows deceived the British public in believing these threats were very real to them, and ensured that they submitted to the government's every law and demand.

Population of entire empire: 367,000,000

This is a tentative application, there's a few irons in the fires at the minute and they might all start glowing. Hopefully it won't be that hectic. I'm not familiar with population sizes during the 1800s (but I have done some superficial research) to look into it. Please let me know if anything's up.
Last edited by San Monteriano on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Monarch: Caterina I, HRDM
Prime Minister: Cristina S'Forza (PD)
Capital: San Monteriano (city)
National Language: Italian; English
Demonym: San Monteriani/Monterianese
RP Population: 62.5 million
Anthem
Cosmopoles wrote:
Tunasai wrote:Why would he make this up though?

Can I interest you in these magic beans I'm selling?

Ceannairceach wrote:If I were optimistic, I'd never be pleasantly surprised.

Wisconsin9 wrote:Every vegetarian and vegan in the world is sitting back and laughing cruelly at you right now. Or at least one is. Eh, close enough.

Tagmatium wrote:Yes - anything else is wishful thinking or wilful ignorance.

Without the EU, the UK is nothing but a backwater with delusions of grandeur and a history of empire.

"RENLY IS NOT RIGHT!" - Galbart Glover

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 15, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:45 pm

May I reserve France?
Christus vincit; Christus regnat; Christus imperat
"All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven"--Ecclesiastes 3:1
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

Segmentia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2010
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Segmentia » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:46 pm

Looks interesting. Might apply as the US.
"We've lost control! Now for the love of Earth...and the Sovereign Colonies, we've got to do what's right."

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:42 pm

NS Name: Britanania
Nation Name: (You are encouraged to include both its formal name and its informal name): The Empire of France, alternately France, Bonpartist France, or Greater France
Head of State: Napoleon III
Head of Government: Émile Ollivier

Government Form: Empire
Ideology: (Political, not economic) Bonapartism
Foreign Policy: (How does your nation see the world? What is its stance or position on issues outside its country? What are it's relations with the major powers IE France, Britain, Russia, and The Ottoman Empire ): Imperialism, seeking Colonies in Africa and Asia. Wishes to maintain the status quo in Europe
Domestic Policy: (How does your nation internally operate?): Although Napoleon II was a staunch Conservative, Ollivier wishes to create Liberal Empire, one of more Republicanism without dismantling the Empire
Civil Freedoms /10: 3/10
Political Freedoms /10: 3/10
Economic Freedoms /10: 5/10

Military Size: 300,000 men
Military Description: (ie, quality of equipment, doctrine, etc.) Following the death of Napoleon the Great in 1834, his son and successor began shrinking the army, not seeing the need to keep a large and expensive military with the Empire at peace. Although it maintains the best equipment of the era, its doctrine, like that of many other European nations, still relies on the tactics and strategies that won the Napoleonic Wars and have not adapted to the changing technologies
Strengths and Weaknesses: (What is your military good at, and what is it bad at?): Very good at movement and swift attacks, is lacking somewhat defensively

Description of Your Nation's Economy: Protectionist Trade, Laissez Faire recently introduced by Olliver
Description of Your Nation's Government: Two House Parliament: The Senate (of 340 seats, each appointed for life or replacement) and the Corps Leglislatif (500 seats, elected by universal male suffrage for 6 years). The Corps Leglislatif may write and submit bills, but the Senate must approve with a 3/5 majority. If a bill passes, the Head of Government must approve, or the bill fails (unless the Monarch overrides the Head of Government)

The death of Napoleon the Great war mourned throughout the Empire, his life and achievements made permanent in his massive Mausoleum directly opposite end of the Champs-Élysées from the Arc de Triomphe. Napoleon II, the former King of Rome, inherited the Throne and promised to make the Empire prosperous and peaceful. and in many ways he kept his word, as no conflicts occurred on the Continent during his 26 year reign.

Italy was made an independent Kingdom, under Napoleon II's elder step-brother Eugene's control, and the Kingdom of Holland and Spain were inherited by his cousin Louis Bonaparte, forming a triumvirate of Bonapartes that sought to dominate European politics. The Grand Duchy of Warsaw later passed directly to France's control (OOC: if this is not acceptable I can change this).

Turning his attentions away from Europe, Napoleon II added Madagascar to the Empire by overthrowing the local Monarchy and reduced it to a French Protectorate, and in Indochina has begun increasing French influence, and the hope is in the near future make it an official colony, whilst also building relations with young Japan, as a check to British and Russian interests in Far East Asia.

The biggest problem seen under Napoleon II's reign was the rise of industry. At first distrustful of the new technologies, he decided for the government to monitor and keep regulations of it, much as his father has controlled every aspect of government. However, as he aged, he began giving more control to capitalists, leading to a boom of industry in Paris and the Rhineland, primarily coal and iron. Rail roads now connect every part of his European Empire, but at the cost of the workers. Napoleon II also sought alliance with the US, with mixed results. On his deathbed, he predicted that Civil War would be unleashed soon

Napoleon III, ascending the Throne at the age of 21, with a strong Liberal education, wishes to improve the plight of the people and seeks to return to classic Bonpartism, of populism and nationalism, the polices that made his Grandfather strong.

Population of entire empire: 40 million
"All things have their season, and in their times all things pass under heaven"--Ecclesiastes 3:1
"Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king."
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected"--G. K. Chesterton
Pro: British Unionism, Catholicism, Classicism, Conservatism, High Toryism, Monarchism, Traditionalism
Anti: Consumerism, Devolution, Materialism, Modernism, Post-Modernism, Progressivism

Aden Protectorate
Senator

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aden Protectorate » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:47 pm

Please reserve Brazil, Mozambique, Macau, Goa, Angola and Guinea-Bissau, the remnants of the Portuguese Empire.
Last edited by Aden Protectorate on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ublia
Senator

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ublia » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:53 pm

This could be amusing what German states are available?
A Canadian Green Tory and Nationalist, who loves History, Sci-Fi, Fantasy and is always down to RP

"'Whither is God?' He cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him- you and I.'"- F. Neitzsche, The Gay Science
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.51
Canada, Green and or Red Toryism, Environmentalism, Canadian Nationalism, Neo-Classical Realism
Neutral: Eggplants and Switzerland
Against: Communism, Separatism in Canada, Social Conservatism, Critical Theory (the last few years have been harsh), DESCARTES (don't blame me blame the Meditations)

Neo-Assyrian Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Assyrian Empire » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:20 pm

I would like to reserve the United States. It'd be fun to have the North secede for a change, rather than the South.
Account may or may not be alive or dead. We'll see what happens
General Information
<G> Is the national currency. <G> 1 = $1.6
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: 1
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -.31
Veni, Vidi, Vici
|[=-=X|X=-=]|
Currently RPing As
Nobody
;~;

|[=-=X|X=-=]|

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:23 pm

Neo-Assyrian Empire wrote:I would like to reserve the United States. It'd be fun to have the North secede for a change, rather than the South.

How would that work? The North possess the capital, so wouldn't it be more like kicking the South out rather than leaving?

Neo-Assyrian Sealand
Civilian

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Assyrian Sealand » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:26 pm

Britanania wrote:
Neo-Assyrian Empire wrote:I would like to reserve the United States. It'd be fun to have the North secede for a change, rather than the South.

How would that work? The North possess the capital, so wouldn't it be more like kicking the South out rather than leaving?

Not really. Since Washington was bordered by Maryland in the North, one of the three Slave States, it would be easy to argue that Maryland would stay with the US. Meanwhile, in the North, the government would likely be based in Philadelphia.

New Granadeseret
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Granadeseret » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:29 pm

San Monteriano wrote:
NS Name: San Monteriano, The Grand Duchy of
Nation Name: The Commonwealth of the British Isles, or simply Britain
Head of State: Hiram Burrows, Lord Regent and Protector of the Isles
Head of Government: Gisbert Cox, Prime Minister

Government Form: Constitutional monarchy (de jure); semi-parliamentary democracy (de facto)
Ideology: Authoritarianism; British nationalism
Foreign Policy: Britain considers itself a natural ally of Portugal, and attempts to undermine French continental influence and power wherever possibly.
Domestic Policy: Though superficially a parliamentary democracy, Britain is under the absolute influence of it's Lord Regent and Governor-General, Hiram Burrows. The government enforces its will through fear, primarily a fear of war and pestilence; the native population remains relatively docile because of this. Prime Minister Gisbert Cox promotes mercantilism as economic policy.
Civil Freedoms /10: 5
Political Freedoms /10: 3

Military Size: 250,000 (regular, based on 1813 statistics); 1,270,000 (irregular/colonial)
Military Description: The British Army favours quality over quantity in both recruitment and equipment, choosing to arm it's ranks with only the finest the British pound sterling can buy. As such, they rely on comprehensive strategy and tactics in warfare rather than sheer brute strength. (ie, quality of equipment, doctrine, etc.)
    + Well-trained and equipped
    + Meritocratic: military commanders are picked purely on their ability
    - Lacks numbers to mount full-scale foreign invasions
    - Reliant on naval strength
Description of Your Nation's Economy: A balance of both free market economics and state mercantilism.
Description of Your Nation's Government: With the absence of a monarch, a Lord Regent is instead appointed by Parliament to serve as head of state. However, in recent years, this once largely ceremonial role has become more pivotal in politics, and they exercise absolute power delegated from Parliament. The Prime Minister administers the daily administration of the sprawling bureaucratic government and enforces the will of both Parliament and the Lord Regent.
Short History of the last 60 years: Britain, a once proud and industrious nation, has been embroiled in numerous continental and often colonial conflicts over the last sixty years, though that has not yet crippled the resolve of the British people, but merely wounded it. With a fully-fledged empire stretching across the world, they are oft thought to be unrivalled in the same power. Yet, the French hegemony in Europe proves otherwise, and Britain itself has had to pass under the yoke of Napoleon I. In the Orient, Britain has struggled to retain its power, particularly its dominion over India.

In Britain, dissent had been growing among the populace, particularly in Ireland, where many advocated home rule independent from Westminster. To combat and quell this domestic opposition, Parliament appointed hard-liner and authoritarian Hiram Burrows, former Governor-General of India and spymaster, who implemented scare tactics across the British Isles, warning of imminent war and a new plague from India and the East. Burrows deceived the British public in believing these threats were very real to them, and ensured that they submitted to the government's every law and demand.

Population of entire empire: 367,000,000

This is a tentative application, there's a few irons in the fires at the minute and they might all start glowing. Hopefully it won't be that hectic. I'm not familiar with population sizes during the 1800s (but I have done some superficial research) to look into it. Please let me know if anything's up.

Accepted. Feel free to change things if you need them. This is a wonderful example for future applications!

Britanania wrote:NS Name: Britanania
Nation Name: (You are encouraged to include both its formal name and its informal name): The Empire of France, alternately France, Bonpartist France, or Greater France
Head of State: Napoleon III
Head of Government: Émile Ollivier

Government Form: Empire
Ideology: (Political, not economic) Bonapartism
Foreign Policy: (How does your nation see the world? What is its stance or position on issues outside its country? What are it's relations with the major powers IE France, Britain, Russia, and The Ottoman Empire ): Imperialism, seeking Colonies in Africa and Asia. Wishes to maintain the status quo in Europe
Domestic Policy: (How does your nation internally operate?): Although Napoleon II was a staunch Conservative, Ollivier wishes to create Liberal Empire, one of more Republicanism without dismantling the Empire
Civil Freedoms /10: 3/10
Political Freedoms /10: 3/10
Economic Freedoms /10: 5/10

Military Size: 300,000 men
Military Description: (ie, quality of equipment, doctrine, etc.) Following the death of Napoleon the Great in 1834, his son and successor began shrinking the army, not seeing the need to keep a large and expensive military with the Empire at peace. Although it maintains the best equipment of the era, its doctrine, like that of many other European nations, still relies on the tactics and strategies that won the Napoleonic Wars and have not adapted to the changing technologies
Strengths and Weaknesses: (What is your military good at, and what is it bad at?): Very good at movement and swift attacks, is lacking somewhat defensively

Description of Your Nation's Economy: Protectionist Trade, Laissez Faire recently introduced by Olliver
Description of Your Nation's Government: Two House Parliament: The Senate (of 340 seats, each appointed for life or replacement) and the Corps Leglislatif (500 seats, elected by universal male suffrage for 6 years). The Corps Leglislatif may write and submit bills, but the Senate must approve with a 3/5 majority. If a bill passes, the Head of Government must approve, or the bill fails (unless the Monarch overrides the Head of Government)

The death of Napoleon the Great war mourned throughout the Empire, his life and achievements made permanent in his massive Mausoleum directly opposite end of the Champs-Élysées from the Arc de Triomphe. Napoleon II, the former King of Rome, inherited the Throne and promised to make the Empire prosperous and peaceful. and in many ways he kept his word, as no conflicts occurred on the Continent during his 26 year reign.

Italy was made an independent Kingdom, under Napoleon II's elder step-brother Eugene's control, and the Kingdom of Holland and Spain were inherited by his cousin Louis Bonaparte, forming a triumvirate of Bonapartes that sought to dominate European politics. The Grand Duchy of Warsaw later passed directly to France's control (OOC: if this is not acceptable I can change this).

Turning his attentions away from Europe, Napoleon II added Madagascar to the Empire by overthrowing the local Monarchy and reduced it to a French Protectorate, and in Indochina has begun increasing French influence, and the hope is in the near future make it an official colony, whilst also building relations with young Japan, as a check to British and Russian interests in Far East Asia.

The biggest problem seen under Napoleon II's reign was the rise of industry. At first distrustful of the new technologies, he decided for the government to monitor and keep regulations of it, much as his father has controlled every aspect of government. However, as he aged, he began giving more control to capitalists, leading to a boom of industry in Paris and the Rhineland, primarily coal and iron. Rail roads now connect every part of his European Empire, but at the cost of the workers. Napoleon II also sought alliance with the US, with mixed results. On his deathbed, he predicted that Civil War would be unleashed soon

Napoleon III, ascending the Throne at the age of 21, with a strong Liberal education, wishes to improve the plight of the people and seeks to return to classic Bonpartism, of populism and nationalism, the polices that made his Grandfather strong.

Population of entire empire: 40 million

Also accepted! Our two superpowers are already prepared

Aden Protectorate wrote:Please reserve Brazil, Mozambique, Macau, Goa, Angola and Guinea-Bissau, the remnants of the Portuguese Empire.

Duely noted. Your homeland at this point is occupied by the Spainards, so keep that in mind

Segementia never officially reserved, so I suppose I can do this. Though, if he wants, he can always have the faction you don't want in the ACW.

Ublia wrote:This could be amusing what German states are available?

The current states are Westphalia, Prussia, and The Federation of the Rhine. If you want to change some things in the arrangements, Germany is more flexable; but I'd avoid a United Germany, since the French Empire really dosen't want German Nationalism, what with all of them on the left bank.
Last edited by New Granadeseret on Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stannis was robbed.

Neo-Assyrian Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Assyrian Empire » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:33 pm

New Granadeseret wrote:

Segementia never officially reserved, so I suppose I can do this. Though, if he wants, he can always have the faction you don't want in the ACW.

I suppose that could work. I'll get to work on an app right now.
Account may or may not be alive or dead. We'll see what happens
General Information
<G> Is the national currency. <G> 1 = $1.6
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: 1
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -.31
Veni, Vidi, Vici
|[=-=X|X=-=]|
Currently RPing As
Nobody
;~;

|[=-=X|X=-=]|

Britanania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Father Knows Best State

Postby Britanania » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Speaking of Germany, I never actually put it in my app, because I assumed the Federation of the Rhine was still a French Protectorate

Alcase
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alcase » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Work in Progress... Reserve me Gran Colombia whilst I write this up?

NS Name: Alcase
Nation Name: La República Bolivariana de Colombia
Head of State: Presidente Francisco Santiago
Head of Government: Primer Ministro

Government Form: Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic
Ideology: Pan-American Republicanism
Foreign Policy: Kiss ass so we can receive foreign aid to help boost our economy
Domestic Policy: ?
Civil Freedoms /10: 9
Political Freedoms /10: 9

Military Size: uhhh....
Military Description: Weak military, mostly militiamen, few veterans from independence revolutions still remain as officers
Strengths and Weaknesses: WIP

Description of Your Nation's Economy: WIP
Description of Your Nation's Government: WIP
Short History of the last 60 years: WIP
Population of entire empire: WIP
Overview of Alcase
Alcasian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Alcasian Armed Forces

Track & XC 400m, 800m, 1600m, 5000m
2014 FHSAA XC Finals - 9th Place
2014 FHSAA XC Region 3A1 Runner-Ups
2014 BCAA Championship Runner-Ups
2014 Spanish River Invitational Boy's Champions Runner-Up
2013 FHSAA XC Finals - 12th Place
2013 Cardinal Gibbons Invitational Boy's Champions
2013 3A State Championship Boy's 4 x 800m - 3rd Place
2013 District 3A-15 Boy's Champions

Kraannei
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kraannei » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:49 pm

So can I apply for a rebel group?

New Granadeseret
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Granadeseret » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:53 pm

Kraannei wrote:So can I apply for a rebel group?

Yes, you may. I'll just need to build a rebel group application...
Stannis was robbed.

Kraannei
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kraannei » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:02 pm

New Granadeseret wrote:
Kraannei wrote:So can I apply for a rebel group?

Yes, you may. I'll just need to build a rebel group application...

Alrighty.

Yuzhou
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Yuzhou » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:07 pm

So, I am thinking about potentially becoming the Republic of Ezo on Hokkaido. I was reading some of the comments about creating a nation and it seemed like it was OK, I did however read somewhere that when a nation is created one must be destroyed though I have yet to find it again. The main issue is obviously the fact that in order for the republic to be reasonably declared the Boshin war or some other major political and military upheaval in Japan to take place. The Boshin war itself could be moved back or another major event could be created that would allow for the republic to be created, and if the Boshin war did take place much earlier that could potentially allow for anyone wanting to play as Japan to have more starting stability, or at least, a more modernized army. My main concern is if the idea is too far fetched or if you would rather not have me split Japan in this way. If not then I will simply figure something out, maybe even take Japan itself.
I have been previously known as Apfeldonia and Thimbyrland

Oh way down south in the land of cotton...

Water Earth Fire Air

Lavan Tiri
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 18, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Lavan Tiri » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:09 pm

May I reserve Argentina?

Aden Protectorate
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aden Protectorate » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:11 pm

On the map shouldn't I have territories in Africa? Because by this time Portugal already controlled most of Mozambique and Angola. Plus you gave my Indian and Chinese cities to the British!

New Granadeseret
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Granadeseret » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:14 pm

Aden Protectorate wrote:On the map shouldn't I have territories in Africa? Because by this time Portugal already controlled most of Mozambique and Angola. Plus you gave my Indian and Chinese cities to the British!

You can have territories in Africa yes. As for your trade ports, Britian is holding onto them for safe keeping, since they're so far away and relatively vulnerable. I'll give them back to you if you wish.

Yuzhou wrote:So, I am thinking about potentially becoming the Republic of Ezo on Hokkaido. I was reading some of the comments about creating a nation and it seemed like it was OK, I did however read somewhere that when a nation is created one must be destroyed though I have yet to find it again. The main issue is obviously the fact that in order for the republic to be reasonably declared the Boshin war or some other major political and military upheaval in Japan to take place. The Boshin war itself could be moved back or another major event could be created that would allow for the republic to be created, and if the Boshin war did take place much earlier that could potentially allow for anyone wanting to play as Japan to have more starting stability, or at least, a more modernized army. My main concern is if the idea is too far fetched or if you would rather not have me split Japan in this way. If not then I will simply figure something out, maybe even take Japan itself.

The Boshin war can start early, and I'll allow you to play a Republican faction so long as you RP the war against the Shogunate. Is that acceptable?
Stannis was robbed.

Aden Protectorate
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aden Protectorate » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:21 pm

New Granadeseret wrote:
Aden Protectorate wrote:On the map shouldn't I have territories in Africa? Because by this time Portugal already controlled most of Mozambique and Angola. Plus you gave my Indian and Chinese cities to the British!

You can have territories in Africa yes. As for your trade ports, Britian is holding onto them for safe keeping, since they're so far away and relatively vulnerable. I'll give them back to you if you wish.

I would like Goa back and Macau back. But the others I don't care about. I would like Cisplatina in South America back, because it was apart of Brazil until the Empire's collapse in 1889. Also should my nation be officially called Brazil or Portugal? (I still of course would lay claim to mainland Portugal.)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse