NATION

PASSWORD

Let's Shoot a Film! (IC; Closed)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Let's Shoot a Film! (IC; Closed)

Postby Wielkilas » Fri May 02, 2014 11:03 am

5km outside Kalbork, Wielkilas
10:00 AM
5°C

Left, right, left, right. Each stride that Alison took brought her further into the national forest. The trees of the forest, massive pines and firs, towered over the tall young woman and exuded a sweet and spicy scent that invaded her nostrils with each breath she took. It was a truly wonderful thing to have the beauty of natural world seep in through every pore and electrify one’s senses. Left, right, left, right. Alison’s eyes focused ahead of her as she continued to run.

Ahead of her was a small clearing among the goliath conifers. As her legs brought her closer to the clearing, Alison’s tantalizing blue eyes caught sight of something that made her quickly slow her pace to a quick walk. She continued forward and slowed her pace again when she was within a couple of meters of the clearing, making sure to careful and quiet steps. Reaching the edge of the clearing, Alison stopped and took a knee.

About 5 or so meters ahead of her was the carcass of a moose with a half a dozen large grey birds tearing at the flesh of the fallen beast with wickedly curving beaks. Rip and swallow, rip and swallow. The birds continued their grim feast as the young woman continued to watch the birds with growing excitement. Never had she imagined that she would have the chance to witness the majesty that was the Northern Black Faced Vulture.

Alison’s eyes remained transfixed on the birds and carcass as she reached into her windbreaker and pulled out her phone and flipped on the camera mode. She brought the device in front of her face and then proceeded to snap one shot after another, repressing a gleeful utterance when one of the vultures turned in her direction and spread its large grey wings as if it had decided to pose for her. She continued to snap photos, giddy with delight at experiencing something that so few others had in the past two centuries.

Eventually though, Alison remembered her schedule for the rest of the day and reluctantly left the vultures to finish their meal. She walked a short distance down a path that bent around the left side of the clearing and then continued to run. Left, right, left, right. Her strides were smoother and more springy than they had been earlier and her face was lit up brighter than the sun.

The Queen Ania Hotel
3:32 PM
Kalbork, Wielkilas

A man wearing shorts, a loose fitting t-shirt advertising a local vodka, and a worn pair of sandals sauntered into the lobby of the hotel. He looked around at the various people milling around and then stretched his arms alongside a wide yawn. He then reached up and gave a quick scratch to the messy shock of dirty-blonde hair that sprouted from his head. “What a busy day I’ve had,” he thought as he spied a very Roman looking young couple bundled up in winter wear. He smiled and waved at the couple who returned the gesture as they tried to figure out who the hell had just waved at them. Another yawn and the man continued to walk and eventually found his way to the little café that was, oddly enough, famous for the bigos they served.

He sat down at a table situated near a stone fireplace that stood in the middle of the dining area and stretched his long, skinny legs. A few seconds later, a woman just shy of fifty, walked up to the man’s table with large smile spread across her rosy cheeked face. She had a healthy fullness to her figure, wore her light brown hair in a tight bun, and wore a knee length dress dyed in a lovely pale green. “So mister Długosz, are you for an early supper? Would you like the bigos again?” Mister Długosz nodded and grinned at the woman, “You really know me well Dita. I will have the bigos this afternoon and an extra slice of bread if you don’t mind.” Dita laughed and then sat down in the chair opposite of the casually attired director of numerous well received films. “You have been coming here for as long as I have been running this place Maciej and you have ordered the same thing every time. I would think that you would get tired of my bigos after thirty years.” Maciej grinned, “Ah, but I did have slice of that gooseberry torte of yours back in eighty-five. If I recall correctly, it is the thing that spoiled my view of my mother’s torte.”

Dita laughed again and then waved over a younger woman who shared more than a few physical similarities with Dita. “Please get Mister Długosz his usual order Karina.”

New Edom
Residence of the Super Fangirl Josefina Ornan

It was a pleasant day in the faraway land of New Edom. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and a man in a postal carrier’s uniform whistled a happy tune as he walked down the street with sack of letters, packages, and overdue bills slung over his shoulder. He smiled and waved at a group of college aged Edenenists skipping down the street with strings of flowers streaming from their hair and body parts bouncing freely. He continued down the street, smiling, whistling, and delivering mail as went.

The man stepped out of an apartment building was greeted by an elderly woman in a flowery spring dress. “Good afternoon David. Is the day treating you well?” David smiled back and chirped happily, “I couldn’t be better Ms. Josiah.” The mail carrier then tipped his hat at Ms. Josia and continued his stroll in the happy sun of New Edom. He made one delivery after another before he finally arrived at his final destination.

He pulled out a plain white envelope plastered haphazardly with foreign stamps and then opened the only actual mailbox on his route. He placed the envelope in the box and then waved at a young woman that he could see through an open window. She did not notice David though because she had her face buried in a book and song playing on her stereo. David the mail carrier shrugged and then walked to the nearby bus stop, a tune still on his lips and a smile on his face.

Inside the plain white envelope there was letter typed in fourteen point font which read something like this:

Josefina Ornan,

It is with great pleasure that I inform you of your victory in the Daughters of Poh Film Fan Competition.

After reading quite a few letters, and I mean quite a few, it was yours that stayed with all of us. You are a true fan and someone who made us all smile after reading your letter. Ms. Auteiul was especially impressed with you and gave high praise to the costume you designed. That said, and before I start rambling on, you should have also noticed by now that there were a number of other items included with this letter;

First is an airline pass that will get you to and from your home and anywhere the filming might take us. Second is the hotel confirmation code for your room at the Queen Ania Hotel in Kalbork. The third and final item is a personalized pass that will allow you access to the set and anywhere a member of the cast and crew might go.

All of us look forward to meeting you,

Maciej Długosz
Last edited by Wielkilas on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat May 03, 2014 12:03 am

New Edom
Residence of the Super Fangirl Josefina Ornan

One of Josefina’s favourite songs was playing on her stereo as she read. She reluctantly closed the book a moment, closing her eyes.

Okay you really need to be studying, Josefina told herself.

Anyone looking at her would see a slightly above average height young woman, 5,7, with long dark hair in a ponytail, a wholesome girl in the eyes of the average Edomite looker-on, not too skinny, not too plump, feminine where it counted, maybe a little soft in the body, but to Edomite eyes that was a sign that she belonged to the moneyed classes. Not rich—the bungalow she lived in didn’t denote vast wealth—but certainly very well off. She had her own computer, her own bedroom, her own bicycle, and her family had a car. Her father was a doctor who worked at a local health clinic; her mother was an assistant librarian.

What she was supposed to be studying was gymnosperms, and couldn’t imagine anything more interesting. This was why she was reading Contest of Crowns, the first in a series about a fictional country called Britain. (what a funny name, but she was enjoying it—she was glad that her parents didn’t know how much sex and violence was in it though). As she read of the plight of a young woman held hostage at a hostile court, she suddenly noticed that the mail was there.
The mail. Don’t’ get too excited, girl, it’s probably just father’s magazine and some letters from famil, she thought with a sigh. Letters from family always made her feel a little guilty—other young women in her family were already married, and she was going to continue with university, get a degree in biochemistry if she could…

No.

Yes?

YES?!

She blinked at the letter, standing there in her flip flops, the towel from her bath forgotten as it fell to the landing, and she suddenly gave a shriek into her hands.

“Omigoshomigoshomigoshomigosh….I WON!!!” she jumped up and down excitedly. “I won I won I won!”
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Nalaya
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Sat May 03, 2014 9:01 am

Flight 174
3:30 PM
Above Kalbork, Wielkilas

"Ladies and gentlemen, please return your seats and trays to the upright position. We are making our final approach.

A slight, dark haired young woman gripped the rolled up script that she'd been reading over and over during the course of the flight with white knuckles. God and the Archangels, Sine Alessuni hated to fly. She couldn't even imagine why anyone would willingly throw themselves to their death, then plan on cheating it with a little metal thing strapped to two jet engines. But it hadn't been so bad when they were just flying smoothly up in the air, but the takeoff and the landing were nerve-wrecking experiences. To think, she was supposed to be brave. She couldn't even call her agent and take comfort in the familiarity of his voice under the guise of double-checking everything was well.

Supposedly, Bedros had taken care of everything. Getting her hotel lined up—the Queen Ania—and handling her finances with a level of acumen that she would never, ever be able to obtain. His job was to take care of her so she could act and her job was to act so she could pay him. At least, that was the reality. She wanted to act for the sake of acting, but ideals were terrible at paying the bills.

She focused on the script. It was a great story. It had been a long time since she'd played a hero and she mostly did her work on stage, but she'd been around enough to know how the business worked. With TV or a movie, you had to be so much more committed and involved. As her mentor had told her, "When that camera comes close, you'd better damn well have it in your eyes. If you don't believe, we can't." That was the easy part for Sine. She'd always gotten lost in her characters as if she was living their story, sometimes adding a little fuel from her own life. But mostly? It was more comfortable and a hell of a lot easier to just not be her own self.

And there was Alison Auteil. The thought of working alongside someone so famous, not only an actor but also a model, left Sine almost dizzy. It felt like it was happening to someone else, somewhere else. Someone with so much beauty and an equal amount of talent was hard to think of as just another co-star. The Nalayan hoped with every fiber of her being that Alison's ego was not as big as her name. It would make the job so much easier and pain-free to work with someone who was grounded in reality. Confidence without arrogance.

Everything, she worked to convince herself, would be just fine. The plane shuddered a little as it touched down and she let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding. Maybe that was what had made her feel light-headed, not the idea of working with Siruhi Auteil. In a minute or two, she was on her feet, grabbing her bag with everyone else. Her luggage she'd have to pick up in the airport, but she had her carry-on. She tucked the script into it carefully, wary of damaging the material in anyway.

"Here we go," Sine mumbled softly, disembarking and moving with the gaggle of people—mostly Romans who'd picked up a connection through Sevan—towards the terminal. She didn't really stand out too much, a figure in worn jeans and scuffed athletic shoes with a white long-sleeved T-shirt under a peacoat.
Do you know, my son, with what little understanding the world is ruled?
- Pope Julius III

Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Josefina Ornan

Postby Wielkilas » Wed May 07, 2014 2:53 pm

Josefina Ornan Flies First-Class

First-class and a flight straight to Kalbork on a large double-decker airliner is what Josefina enjoyed as part of her prize in the fan contest. A comfortable seat, the best airline food, complimentary alcoholic beverages, a large array of entertainment options, and an attentive staff all made the trip as comfortable as any girl good want. The young woman had everything she wanted and more on the flight to Kalbork.

10:00 PM
Arriving at the Queen Ania Hotel

If Josefina had flown to Wielkilas from New Edom before, then she would be well aware that most flights from her home nation arrived, as if by some unwritten rule, in the late evening. She had been met at the airport by an intern from the film studio and then driven straight to the well appointed, and mildly expensive, Queen Ania Hotel. Upon arriving at the hotel, the studio intern unloaded all of Josefina’s luggage and then proceed on ahead of her after walking her to the main desk in the front lobby.

Behind the desk was a woman in her late twenties, chestnut hair tied back in a perfect ponytail and subtle red lipstick perfectly applied. She smiled as she asked for and looked over Josefina’s reservation. The woman clacked away on her keyboard and after a minute or so swiped a pair of cards, put them in a plastic sleeve, and handed them to the young Edomite woman. “You are all set Miss Ornan.” spoke the woman in her accented English, “You will be staying on the eighth floor in room 801. As you will be staying in one of our Princess Suites, you have access to complimentary entertainment, a complimentary bar, and everything else listed on this form.” She then handed a printed sheet to Josefina detailing everything she would have access to during her stay at the hotel. “The Wi-Fi information is at the bottom of the page and you may connect to the network anywhere within the hotel grounds.

The woman never once stopped smiling during the course of her explanation and continued to do so as she cheerfully queried Josefina. “May I have someone show you to your room or would you rather find it yourself Miss Ornan?
Last edited by Wielkilas on Wed May 07, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu May 08, 2014 1:26 pm

Josefina enjoyed the flight; she had been on a plane before, but it was a Griffon Airlines flight and it had been very different. The flight attendant she had dealt with then had been a Haranese girl who had the airs of a queen forced to clean shoes, and had only reluctantly distributed snacks of tiny bags of shrimp flavoured crispy curls, warm flat soda and napkins that had clearly come from MotoPizza. It had been crowded, full of pregnant women constantly going to the washroom, crying babies, snoring old men, soldiers talking too loud, and every time she turned the middle aged man across the aisle had been praying and sobbing in fear.

This time it was lovely, everything seemed clean and new and fresh, and so luxuriant that she couldn’t believe it, it was like a dream.

She still felt like she was dreaming when she arrived there…she was actually here, for real!

Her parents had decided it was important that they should be modern about things—she was after all a legally grown woman, and they were not going to be old fashioned and have her chaperoned. Though her parents had then proceeded to lecture her, advise her to call regularly and had told her about the little social network of people they knew vaguely in town. They had even discussed if she should possibly stay with her mother’s cousin Carmi, who worked in Wielkilas as an agent for FODE, promoting oil products there. She vaguely remembered Carmi as being cocky and very ‘modern and hip’ yet also pretending to be a traditional Baran man, saying he went hunting every month. She would have to at least call on them or it would be incredibly rude.

“Oh I would be delighted by your company,” said Josefina politely. What else could she say? “Oh and please I beg you to thank the company on my behalf, they have been so kind and generous! Wow, this hotel is beautiful! Do you know, I’ve never been away from home before, and I’ve never had a hotel room of my own! So will I have a bath or shower as well?"
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Nalaya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

3:50 PM
Outside the Airport at Kalbork

Sine sat outside the airport on the bench where people waited for their rides, her luggage curled around her feet like a large cat trying vainly to keep her warm. The rain was falling at first soft and sweet, but becoming an insistent downpour that reminded her of the rainclouds that blew in from the sea to Yeraskh. It beaded on the treated canvas of her olive drab field coat and rolled on its merry way towards the waters that would carry it home someday. The chill that came with it lingered in her bones, though from what she'd heard of the weather, it would be nice again soon.

She curled her fingers into fists and pressed them together in an effort to keep her paling fingers a little warmer. It distracted her a little to think of the things she'd brought. Not a lot—she'd left off most of her clothes knowing that those she could buy in Wielkilas. The country was a little more fashionable than home, too. She had an eye for it, though rarely a real inclination until it came to costumes. Some characters dressed down, others definitely dressed up.

It was times like these, trying to distract herself in weather that was a little less than pleasant, that she really wanted a cigarette. She'd quit a year and a half ago, but the craving remained. It had been easier to just smoke and drink coffee all day on the set where there wasn't time to really sit down and have a nice meal. It was always going, going, going. The theater bustled like an ant-hill and if you weren't a part of it, it tended to sweep you along anyway.

Instead she watched leaves sedately drift by on the deep courses of rain and others go tick softly when the rain hit them. It was very soothing. Had she not been cold, she would have taken a nap. She closed her eyes for a moment and felt the rain against her face. It was comforting. She liked rainy weather, particularly when it drummed on the roof and the windows at night with a lulling effect not unlike the endless roar of the tide.

Soon, she decided, she would start walking towards where she was fairly certain the Queen Ania was. Internet-provided directions weren't always the most reliable in the world, but they could usually get you close. At least, most of the time. She glanced down at her phone and smudged a droplet off the screen. It would have to do, she decided.
- Pope Julius III

Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Wielkilas » Fri May 09, 2014 12:02 pm

3:55 PM
Outside the Kalbork Airport

Around Sine were a multitude of people coming, going, or just waiting in the rain that had crept up on the coastal city. As Sine walked, she first passed a newlywed couple who had decided upon Kalbork as their honeymoon location and seemed unfazed by the current downpour. Next Sine walked by a tired looking man in his forties with a white and copper-red huskie sitting obediently by his side. The dog remained seated as Sine passed, but took a quick look at her with its icy blue eyes as she passed.

It did not take Sine long, guided by her phone as she was, to step close to a covered sitting area under which sat an older man wearing an old red green rain jacket. He had a large black umbrella leaning against the bench beside him and he held a large open thermos in one hand. Wisps of steam slowly meandered from the open vessel and brought with them the sweet smell of chocolate and cardamom. The man poured a healthy serving of his chocolaty beverage into a tin cup by his side and then replaced the thermos’s top. He then brought the tin cup to his lips and took a small sip after which he placed the cup back down at his side.

He then stood up and took off his olive green flat cap when Sine was just a couple of steps away, revealing a head still covered with a reasonably thick head of blonde and grey hair. “Please, excuse me Miss,” his voice was a rich and gentle baritone, “I was supposed to meet a young woman here and drive her wherever she wanted to go.” He then bowed his head, “But alas, I have lost the name and photo of the young woman I was supposed to meet. The only thing that I can remember right now is that her appearance reminded my own little girl and that she is an actress.” He then turned up his head and offered a small smile. “You do resemble my daughter my dear. May I ask your name and if you are an actress?”

He then stretched out his arm and offered a large, rough hand. “I am Jan Babinski.”

Nalaya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Fri May 09, 2014 12:41 pm

That smells incredibly good, Sine thought, smiling a little at the man. The cardamom reminded her of home, even though chocolate was a little bit more uncommon. Her mother had added the spice to her coffee in the mornings.

When he held out his rough hand, she shook it. Her own fingers were only lightly calloused from moving flats or furniture and aiding in the construction of sets. She'd been a theater technician before switching over to the acting side. "Sine Alessuni," she said pleasantly, the warmth in her tone cutting through the cold she felt in her bones. Her own voice registered in the alto range."I do happen to act. It's a great pleasure to meet you, Paron Babinski. I was a little worried I would spend the rest of the day lost."

And that was true enough. Sine tended to argue a little bit with the directions her phone gave her, overconfident in her ability to navigate after having lived in Sevan and Yeraskh, both impossible to navigate. The Arusai had something about building their cities very difficult for invading armies to find their way in. Unfortunately, "invading armies" also seemed to include tourists and new residents.
- Pope Julius III

Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Josefina Ornan

Postby Wielkilas » Mon May 12, 2014 3:47 pm

The woman smiled and picked up a phone from the counter and spoke a quick few words into it before walking from behind her workstation to stand beside Josefina. “You will have a full sized bathroom with a walk in shower and a full-sized bathtub. There is also a hot tub located on the balcony of your room.” She then took hold of Josefina’s luggage and began to lead the way to the elevator. As she walked, she continued speak. “It must be pretty exciting to be on your first trip away from home. I recall when I first left home, I was about nineteen, I packed up two suitcases and jumped on the first train to Kalbork.” She turned her head slightly, “I have been living here ever since. It’s a fun city with a lot of young people.”

They reached the elevator and the woman pushed the button that bring the elevator to them. “If you need any help with anything, please ask me or any other member of the staff. We are here to make your stay as pleasant as possible.” She then let Josefina’s luggage rest as they both waited for the elevator. “If you want to know the best places to do a little shopping,” she grinned, “Then I believe I can help you out with that. Just catch me when I am on my shift or give me a call in the afternoon.” She then reached into the breast pocket of her red vest and pulled out a business card with the name Kasia Dąbrowska printed in bold black letters on the front and contact information on the reverse.

The elevator then indicated that it had arrived on the ground floor with a “Ding! Ding!”. The doors slid open and standing in the doorway was a woman likely very familiar to Josefina. She stood a great deal taller than either of the other two women and was garbed in a pair floral blue pajama pants and a mint green tank top. Her hair was long, dark brown, and blessed with gentle girls. Pressed between her lips was a half-wrapped bar of chocolate and in her respective hands were a steaming cup of coffee and a thick stack of papers.

The tall woman was intently focused on the papers in front of her and would have walked straight into Josefina if she had not looked up and caught sight of the young Edomite woman with pair of sapphire-like blue eyes. Instead, she deftly skirted around Josefina and turned on her heel. “Przepraszam,” she spoke in a very familiar voice as she steadied her mug and took a closer look at the woman she had nearly plowed over.

Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Wielkilas » Tue May 13, 2014 12:22 pm

Jan chuckled and smiled. “It seems luck has found us both today pszczółko. My car is just down the road, underneath that alder on the corner.” He then reached down and picked up his tin cup and finished off his lightly spiced chocolate drink. “If you would like, you may have the rest of my cocoa. My wife always makes more than I can drink and I think you need it more than I do today.” Jan then picked up his umbrella and opened it. “Now let’s get to the car so you can warm up and take off that wet coat of yours.” The older man then grabbed hold of Sine’s luggage and walked from under the cover of the sitting area and stood waiting for Sine. “Don’t be shy,” he grinned, “This old man enjoys a bit of company under his umbrella.”

Nalaya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Tue May 13, 2014 1:35 pm

"Oh, I can—" Sine started to say, but he'd already picked up her luggage by then. "Thank you very much, Paron." It was a good thing she hadn't packed too much otherwise she might have felt guilty. At the moment she could just accept the courtesy for what it was. He seemed like a very nice man and she appreciated the gesture.

"Thank you," she said again, stepping out under his umbrella. The rain pattering against the nylon was nice and soothing even if she was still a little chilled. She accepted the thermos just to hold rather than drink from, unwilling to steal anything from her thoughtful guide even though she supposed it wasn't really theft if he'd given her permission. "I should be very easy to deal with, Paron. Right now I'd just like to go to the hotel if that is alright. I think it's time for a hot shower and dry clothes."

As they walked towards the car, she was quiet enough. Her eyes were wide, taking in this new strange city as she walked. She wasn't certain if her silence was impolite or not—most people just filled in the gaps with their own words and left her free to just listen. She remained an internal person off the stage, collecting all those moments and emotions she experienced to pull out later and fuel a scene or a character. She'd gotten used to pulling those invisible masks on and off like they were sets of clothes changed every day. The water was beading on the thick, dark wool of her coat. At least the rain couldn't penetrate that the way it went through her jeans and her shoes. Her fingers were taking on a particularly pale look, so she jammed the hand not holding her thermos into her pocket and curled the fingers to her palm as if that would bring the heat back.

"Paron, can you tell me anything about the Queen Ania Hotel?" she asked curiously, trying to break the quiet. They probably weren't too far from it, but it didn't hurt to pass the time. And maybe her guide would know something interesting.
- Pope Julius III

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed May 14, 2014 8:17 am

Josefina smiled at the woman, then recognition hit her like a freight train, and she widened her eyes, turned pale at first, then red, and opened her mouth to speak. Then she realized she was having trouble breathing, and her smile grew weirdly wider, and she wondered why there were spots dancing in front of her eyes—goodness, was Alison really magical? It had to be, there was no other explanation, what a perfect moment, not in a studio but right here in front of her! The most beautiful, wonderful, compassionate person who had ever existed (other than Lord Jesus, General Pahath-Moab, Father William, and her favourite band LAZY of course…) was standing right in front of her…

Why she was floating on air, and as she was about to speak suddenly she realized that a veil of darkness was passing over her….

And woke up a few seconds later, wondering how everyone had gotten so tall, and realized that she’d passed out on the floor.

Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Wielkilas » Tue May 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Jan’s eyes it up with Sine’s question. “Of the things I love to speak of, it is this city, my home.” He then chuckled, “But many don’t share my overwhelming enthusiasm and say that I won’t shut up if the topic is brought up.” He chuckled again, “I suppose those people aren’t all wrong. I do love to talk about my city.” Jan continued for a pace or two before clearing his throat and continuing.

“As for the Queen Ania, I can tell quite a bit. But first, I think I will start with the basics. The hotel was first built in the 1870s on the site of an execution ground used in the aftermath of the Cornellian expulsion. It’s construction was commissioned by Grand Duchess Ania II along with market next door. It burned down in 1912 and remained that way until was rebuilt in 1923. The hotel has had many famous occupants and has served as a home for war refugees from all across the world.”

“Now, if you want to know why the hotel is called the Queen Ania and not the Grand Duchess Ania, then I’ll tell you now. Following the expulsion of the Cornellians from Wielkilas, the Grand Duchess was so popular amongst the people that the people of the nation rallied to have her made queen and sole ruler of the nation. Caught up in the exuberance of the times, the builders of the hotel had a bronze plaque naming the hotel the “Queen Ania” only hours before the Grand Duchess and her husband announced that they would be stepping down from their roles of power in favor of an elected government. Now this caused a problem for the builders as they had spent the last of their funds to make the plaque and now risked looking foolish because of their haste.”

Jan grinned and continued, “But the builders were crafty folk. On the day of the hotel’s opening, they placed the plaque over the front door of the hotel and covered it with a red cloth and invited reporters from newspapers across the nation, and the Grand Duchess, to be present at the unveiling of the hotel’s plaque. When all the invited guest arrived at the hotel on its opening day, the manager invited the Grand Duchess to pull the cloth from the plaque. When she pulled the cloth from the plaque and read it, it is said that the hotel manager put his hand over his heart and spoke these words,”

Jan then cleared his throat spoke with a dramatic flair. “It is to you Grand Duchess that we dedicate this hotel. You are loved by every man, woman, and child in this nation and this hotel shall be your castle whenever you wish it. You shall forever have our love and be the queen of our hearts.”

“From what I understand,” continued Jan in his soft speaking voice, “The Grand Duchess was so overwhelmed by the hotel manager’s speech, that she teared up and gave the hotel manager a great big bear hug in front of the cheering reporters. She then bowed before the crowd and officially opened the hotel as the Queen Ania.”

By the time Jan had finished speaking, Sine and he had reached his car. The vehicle was a cherry red 1970 Opol Vastra that, despite its age, seemed to be in immaculate condition. Jan then walked with Sine to the passenger side door and opened it for her. “Please get it while I stow your luggage pszczółko.” A moment later, Jan was in the driver seat of the car and turning the keys in the ignition. The car’s engine rumbled to life and they were on their way. Jan smiled at Sine, “I have the heater on already and I hope you don’t mind if I play a little music while we drive.” He then pushed a cassette into the car’s tape player and a catchy little song began to play.
Last edited by Wielkilas on Tue May 20, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nalaya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Sat May 24, 2014 6:21 pm

Headed to the Queen Ania Hotel

Sine listened attentively to Jan's story, looking out the car windows as if to imagine what that had all been like. Stories of any kind always interested her, though her favorites were the undying classics of literature, whether it be prose or poetry. The music jarred her a little bit at first. It wasn't what she was used to, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

"I don't mind," she assured him with a smile, waiting patiently in the passenger seat as they headed for the hotel. Sine was quiet, preferring to let him talk. On the stage she could be louder and larger than life, but in private she was a little more reserved. At least around people she didn't know, anyway. Shy, some people called it. She supposed that was a much truer explanation than 'stuck up'. She at least hoped that wasn't the case.

Her thoughts were occupied anyway. She tapped the rolled up script against her thigh and then brushed her thumb over the furled pages. Some of the dialogue was spinning through her head even though she hadn't been able to actually go over with another live body. She hoped she would click with Alison and find that chemistry that didn't always happen. It made the magic happen. Shows with it sold like nothing else and those without it flopped hard.
- Pope Julius III

Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Josefina Ornan

Postby Wielkilas » Sun May 25, 2014 12:09 am

When Josefina awoke her head was resting on something soft and Kasia was standing nearby talking to someone on her phone. When she noticed Josefina wake up, she sighed with relief and ended her call. “You had us worried for a second there Miss Ornan. How are you feeling? Are you hurt? Wait here for a moment and let me get you something to drink. I’ll be right back.” The chestnut haired night auditor then rushed off in the direction of the hotel’s café.

“I knew you looked familiar,” said a voice from above Josefina, “I enjoyed reading your letter and I must say that you made quite the convincing rusalka.” Looking down on Josefina, as the young Edomite’s head rested on her lap, Alison Auteuil smiled the sweet smile so many knew her for. “I can’t say that I have had anyone faint on me before, but at least you didn’t smack your head on the floor,” she chuckled and rubbed the back of her head, “You can believe me when I say that it hurts like hell.” She then helped Josefina to her feet and put a hand on the younger woman’s back and pointed. “There is a sofa right over there. Would you like to sit down for a little bit?” A yawn escaped her mouth as she waited for Josefina's response.
Last edited by Wielkilas on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:48 am

She came to, and in sight of her was…it was…it was Alison. She closed her eyes a moment, because it had to be a dream. But if it was, it was the best dream ever. At least I didn’t puke all over myself like last time. And she knew from experience it was a lot worse to vomit on yourself when clothed.

And she was speaking. The most amazing voice in the Universe apart from that of God spoke to her. “Yes, I’d like to go to the couch.” I would go to a volcano or a Griffon’s nest if you wanted to go with me! she got up, waited a moment to make sure she didn’t pass out again, and then walked there with her.

Curiously, Alison looked different—in fact while she would have recognized her she just plain looked odd, but then it occurred to her that she wasn’t in the special lighting they used or the show. “I’m sorry, I don’t faint a lot, but I sometimes do. I think I didn’t have enough to eat today, I sometimes forget. May I call you Alison?” she hardly dared hope.
Last edited by New Edom on Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Wielkilas » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:04 pm

Sine at the Queen Ania

Jan continued chatting about one thing or another as he drove toward the hotel. He did not seem to mind that Sine remained quiet as he talked. He commented on his wife and daughter, a large grouping of 19th buildings built in the Wielkilasin Neorococo style, and his long career as a carpenter among other things. Jan was a man with a seemingly endless supply of knowledge and also man who loved to share what he knew.

After a drive of about fifteen or so minutes, the little red car pulled up to the front of the hotel and stopped. Jan stepped out of the car and smiled. “The rain will be stopping momentarily my dear.” And almost if his words had worked some kind of magic, the rain drops that had been pelting the city disappeared. “I’ll get your bags pszczółko and I’ll bring them into the hotel for you.” Jan then opened the trunk of his car and pulled out Sine’s bags.

It did not take long to get Sine checked in and her things brought up into her fifth floor room and before making his departure, Jan handed Sine a card that read “Jan Babinski. Master Carpenter” in flowing, printed Polish. “If you need anything while you are here, you feel free to call me at anytime. You are also free to have dinner with the wife and myself at anytime. She really loves having guests over and I know she would absolutely adore you pszczółko.” He then took off his cap and gave a small bow. “Until we meet pszczółko. Enjoy your stay and don’t let the vodka muddle your head. Not too much anyway.”

With a laugh, Jan nodded his head and departed once he had heard a response from Sine.

Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Wielkilas » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:22 pm

Josefina Ornan

Alison smiled and yawned. “Of course you can call me Alison and please excuse me. It was a long day and I can’t seem to stop yawning.” She then reached into the pocket of her pajama pants and pulled out a small round object wrapped in a dark blue wrapper and handed it to Josefina. “I know a little chocolate always relaxes me,” she said still smiling. “This one is dark chocolate and my absolute favorite truffle from Deusz.”

Alison then scooted back in the couch and motioned for Josefina to do the same. “In all the excitement, I forgot to ask how your trip was. I know flying so far and so long can be a real drain on a person.” She then kicked her feet up on the table in front of her and chuckled, “By the look of it though, I think you are doing better than most after such a long flight.”

Another yawn escaped from between Alison’s lips as she stretched, her back arching in the process.
Last edited by Wielkilas on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nalaya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:13 pm

The Queen Ania Hotel

Sine took the card and flashed him a bright smile. "Thank you, Paron. I'll try to give you a call when things finally slow down," she said. It was nice to have a friendly face in a foreign country even if she didn't know him that well. She was inside, it was dry, and her belongings were at least in her room. At some point before dinner she'd go take a shower and get cleaned up properly, but for now she wanted to stretch her legs a little. She'd been trapped on a plane and in a car for longer than she was used to by far. Flying across Acheron, whether from south to north or east to west, was a long journey.

She tucked her rolled up script under her arm and started meandering. It would help her learn the lay-out of the hotel for the little while that she'd be staying there. Depending on the length of filming, she knew she might be better off in a rented flat. Besides, she met interesting people in hotels. It was sometimes a source if great inspiration, particularly for improv.

Where she was going to go or what she was going to do she didn't know quite yet. Maybe other cast members were around too. She didn't know how many people were internationals. She'd seen photographs and the names of most of them, so she kept her eyes wide open and hoped she'd run into someone.
- Pope Julius III

Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Wielkilas » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:53 pm

Sine in the Halls of the Hotel

Wandering through the elegantly decorated halls of the hotel, Sine would have noticed number of paintings lining the walls. Many were the work of famous Weilkilasin painters such as Paweł Topor, Zbigniew Krynicki, Dorota Saramonowicz, and Isabelle Dupuy. After a walking for a little longer, a tall and skinny young man with sharply cut features, a slender beaklike nose, a shock of well groomed chestnut hair, and wearing a pair of football shorts and white t-shirt came into view. He was holding a large packet of papers, very much resembling the script Sine possessed, in front of his face as he walked and was reciting particular phrases in a none too silent fashion.

“Fuck off you little wire sucking cunt or I’ll bleed dry...” The man’s voice filled the halls with a very resounding and convincing degree of menace and anger, “What the fuck did you do to my arm your bitch..” The man came to sudden stop, finally noticing Sine. He looked at the young Nalayan actress for a brief moment before the realization of who she was exploded into his brain.
“You’re Spark!” exclaimed the man with a healthy dose of excitement, “I mean Sine.” He then chuckled and smiled, “I have a habit of learning people by the characters they play. Maybe it’s a bad habit, put I find it better to remember my fellow actors that way.” He then reached out a large hand comprised of long bony fingers and a soft warm palm. “Piotr Smogulecki and I am pleased to meat you Sine.”
Last edited by Wielkilas on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nalaya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:02 pm

Sine in the Halls of the Hotel

"Have no fear. I do the exact same thing," Sine said with a smile, shaking his hand with a very delicate and soft touch in the customary Nalayan fashion when confronted with that gesture. "It's good to meet you, Piotr. Are all of us here in this hotel? I may have to commandeer you from your rehearsal and see if we can find and meet all the others."

His little display had made her smile and certainly put her more at ease. He seemed like the kind of man who would make a good friend. They'd have plenty of time working on the show together, so she figured they'd get on well. She made an effort to befriend the other people working on her projects. Actors and actresses were notoriously temperamental—it came with the territory—but she wasn't about to indulge in hotheadedness herself. Someone on the set had to make the peace and traditionally that role fell to her. Sine had separated more people backstage than she'd care to admit.

"You can also tell me about your take on your character," she offered so he wouldn't be quite as quick to desert her. Not that he necessarily would. He seemed quite nice. She wanted to get a feel for the whole cast if she could. Besides, there were certain people she was looking forward to meeting.
- Pope Julius III

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:58 pm

"Oh I had such a great trip, I've never been so far away from home in my life, but I bet you travel all the time ,right? I mean when you went to the film festival in Schottia and you looked so relaxed when you got off the plane in the photos, and I thought--is she really that relaxed, or did she get made up just before she got off/"

Josefina waved a hand and said, "And then I realized--wait who am I talking about here? I mean you've done so many things on screen that would be so uncomfortable for the average person, I have such respect for dedicated actors like you, who really make you forget you're watching a screen and make you feel like you have all this tension in your life, of that of a regular person and a rusalka, both questioning your very of being a being and of being a person...so I realized you probably know how to deal with your emotions on a level I just can't even imagine."

Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Wielkilas » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:14 pm

Sine in the Halls

Releasing Sine’s hand, Piotr then checked his watch. “You know, it is about time for evening coffee. Perhaps we can head to the hotel café and we can meet the others there. Just let me let everyone know what’s going on.” He then reached into his pocket and pulled out a slim black phone. After tapping out a message, he then returned his attention to Sine.

“My character, eh?” Piotr spoke whilst rubbing his chin, “How about we head downstairs and I will give you my thoughts as we walk?” The lanky young man then tucked his script under his arm and began to walk.

“My character, as you might already know, is Brick. He’s an interesting guy to be sure. Full of contradictions. On the one hand he is immensely confident while on the other he is tormented by paranoia and doubt. He is cruel, sadistic, and bitter while showing an unusual tenderness, compassion, and jubilance towards Ruby, even when he is betrayed by her. He is a man with a grim past and a none too easy present”

Piotr ran a hand through his hair and then continued, “Simply put, he is a complex man who is full of anger and uses that anger as weapon against the world. Reading the script after reading the novel, I have a great appreciation for the character despite all of his less than sterling attributes.” He then paused and pulled out his phone again. “Well, it seems that everyone is going to meet us,” another pause, “And Alison says that she just got out of the shower, but she will make it down as soon as she can.” Piotr grinned, “That is everyone then. Now, should we take the elevator or the stairs, Sine?”

Wielkilas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Wielkilas » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:51 pm

Josefina Ornan

Alison listened attentively to Josefina, all the while making an effort hide her exhaustion from a long day. She smiled when Josefina paused, “I certainly do travel a lot with both of my jobs. One day I might be doing a photo shoot on a beach in Gylias and the very next day I might be on my way to L’Ossienne to shoot scenes for a movie or the show. It can be quite exhausting, though I do try to squeeze in some time for relaxation whenever I can.”

Another yawn passe through Alison’s lips despite her best efforts. “You really know how to flatter a girl, you know that Josefina?” She then laughed lightly and continued, “It takes a lot of hard work, practice, and immersion in my every emotion to perform for the audience that watches me in the theater or in their home,” Alison then stretched her arms again and stood up, “ I am always so relieved and happy when a fan enjoys what I do.”

“How does this sound,” her words filling with more energy, “How about I show you around the hotel and then show you to your room? I could use a little walk before bed and chatting with a friendly person like you will help sleep better tonight.” She then offered her arm and spoke with as much energy as he could muster, “Shall we Josefina?”

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:35 pm

Alison listened attentively to Josefina, all the while making an effort hide her exhaustion from a long day. She smiled when Josefina paused, “I certainly do travel a lot with both of my jobs. One day I might be doing a photo shoot on a beach in Gylias and the very next day I might be on my way to L’Ossienne to shoot scenes for a movie or the show. It can be quite exhausting, though I do try to squeeze in some time for relaxation whenever I can.”

"Oh jet setting around the world, and all the people you have to work with as part of your job, it must be so tiring, no wonder you're sleepy, I feel kind of drained just from flying once today. But you know, it's just like in Episode 29 when you had to fly around the world to keep that vampire alive, you do what you have to do right? Oh I loved that episode, I'd like to talk to you about it some time, by the way, some things I noticed that I don't think other people did but..."

Another yawn passe through Alison’s lips despite her best efforts. “You really know how to flatter a girl, you know that Josefina?” She then laughed lightly and continued, “It takes a lot of hard work, practice, and immersion in my every emotion to perform for the audience that watches me in the theater or in their home,” Alison then stretched her arms again and stood up, “ I am always so relieved and happy when a fan enjoys what I do.”

She was mesmerized by Alison yawning, by her movements, her arms stretching out she was so graceful. When Alison had visited New Edom for an international charity she had tried to get her to sign a novelization of 2 episodes of season 2 of "Living with Humanity" but unfortunately had gotten bumped into and then nearly trampled by some dancing Dengalis who were trying to attract her attention, and only biting one on the ankle had prevented the trampling. And in fact she only realized later she was in danger of being trampled, though she explained the bite as being that fear rather than her true fear of not getting her autograph opportunity. Which had hurt, with real loss, but now..

Then she realized that Alison was going to show her around the hotel. "That would be a lovlingly amazy of me--I mean uh, it would be amazingly lovely of me, you, for you to do that with me! Wow, yes, thank you, and yes, I probably will need some rest too, I heard that there is a pool...do you know if you have to wear swimming costumes here, I don't know if I remembered to bring one..." she was embarrassed even mentioning this to Alison, she felt a bit of a rube, but secretly she hoped Alison would recommend something to wear.

When I was in Wielkilas I didn't bring a swimming costume there, because they all wear them in foreign parts, and Alison recommended some kinds to try, and they matched...
Last edited by New Edom on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates