NATION

PASSWORD

Robots Leaving Workers Jobless?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalizt

Robots Leaving Workers Jobless?

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:52 pm

Ok, I figure that banning robots hurts the economy, and allowing them helps it, but what on earth does option three do?

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:18 pm

Amidst a growing level of unemployment, thousands of workers have been fired and then replaced by automatic systems. They have petitioned you to intervene.
The Debate

1. "It's just sickening! Do you know how long it took most of us to get a decent, 'stable' job?" shouts Larry Hendrikson, president of the Klaus Devestatorie Labour Alliance, before dramatically sweeping your personal belongings off your desk. "And now we're losing our livelihoods to robots so that while our families starve, the corporations get even richer! Don't let the capitalist pigs blind you! This practice must be banned!"

2. "Hey, I've got a job to keep up too, you know," says Gregory Longbottom, a factory manager. "If I don't think of new ways of keeping costs down, the investors will go elsewhere. It's my neck on the line as much as anyone else's, even if I do have much more money. Besides, it's business, and no-one ought to be able to say who - or what - I can hire."

3. "This could be resolved if instead of replacing workers with machines, we added machines to workers!" enthuses Colin Trax, CEO of Mondas Ltd. "By replacing the body parts with stronger, better, metal prostheses, we can make the best industrial workers - literally - in the world! Imagine a shelver who can shift whole crates with just one arm! One finger! So let's hear no more of this deplorable 'replacing workers with machines' idea and look to the future!"

4. "You can't allow that!" gasps Falala Hanover, a manual labourer. "If that happens, only the people with cyber limbs will get jobs! And the corporations will contract you into having the surgery if you want to have one! No thank you! We should go back to the grass roots of industry when all the machines weren't computerised and workers were the salt of the earth! Then maybe we'd see a bit more appreciation! And cash!"

Alpinistan
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alpinistan » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:01 pm

intersting issue, i would go for the 1. option with the social aspect. buuuut someone scrambling my desk would piss me off enough to simply ignore him. i am a really subjective dictator, or not?
so i would go for 2 to help economic in a liberal way, or 3 in an oppressing way...
number 4 seems a bit to harsh as it seems to combie the social with the oppressing while destroying your economic... but upside i guess it will help the envroiment too

so we only can guess what those chooses will do, as in the short run you wouldnt notice most of them if it wasn just breaking some barrier
Grand Matriarch Rhenaya
Leader of The Environmental Matriarchy of Alpinistan and The Colony of New Alpinistan
X-Fire Contact: Rhenaya feel free to add me if you want to talk or something

Aglrinia
Minister

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aglrinia » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Oh i thought this was an acutal belief about the job market.
Jakker wrote:TBH is Pro-bring Life to GP

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:37 pm

Its a trick! #2 hurts your economic strength but increases economic freedoms (I think), as everyone is unemployed. Maybe #3 would be better... :twisted:

Feroxian
Secretary

Founded: Aug 24, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Feroxian » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:03 pm

I took #2, I think it increased unemployment, but increased GDP, because the robots are more efficient workers than humans.

Fornicators United
Political Columnist

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fornicators United » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:25 am

I had this one a while ago and it just came back up for me. I did #3 the first time, and I'm pretty sure it decreased something. I'll try #2.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?