NATION

PASSWORD

India Supreme Court recognized transgender as third gender

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Valica
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

India Supreme Court recognized transgender as third gender

Postby Valica » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:28 am

This is a amazing, really.
Out of every country, India.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/04/1 ... A320140415

The Article wrote:NEW DELHI (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - The Supreme Court on Tuesday recognised India's long marginalised transgender community as a third gender and, in a landmark judgment lauded by human rights groups, called on the government to ensure their equal treatment.

There are hundreds of thousands of transgenders in India, say activists, but because they are not legally recognised, they are ostracised, discriminated against, abused and often forced into prostitution.

"Recognition of transgenders as a third gender is not a social or medical issue but a human rights issue," the Supreme Court's two-judge bench said in its ruling.

"Transgenders are also citizens of India. The spirit of the constitution is to provide equal opportunity to every citizen to grow and attain their potential, irrespective of caste, religion or gender."

A person who is transgender does not identify with the gender stated on their birth certificate.

The court ruling - which came after hearing a petition filed by a group of transgenders demanding equal rights - recognised the community as a marginalised group and directed authorities to implement policies to improve their socio-economic status.

The petitioners' lawyers said that this would mean that all identity documents, including a birth certificate, passport and driving licence would recognise the third gender, along with male and female.

The government will also have to allocate a certain percentage of public sector jobs, seats in schools and colleges to third gender applicants, said lawyer Sanjeev Bhatnagar.

Due to their lack of access to jobs and education, many male-to-female transgenders - also known as "hijras" - are forced to work as sex workers or move around in organised groups begging or demanding money.

Hate crimes in the conservative country are common, say activists, yet few are reported partly due to a lack of sensitivity by authorities such as the police.

Transgender rights activist Laxmi Narayan Tripathi said the verdict was a great step towards ending such discrimination."Today Justice Radhakrishnan and Justice A.K. Sikri said that any nation can progress only after it grants all the rights and human rights to its citizens. The transgenders have been given the biggest right," said Tripathi. "Today I feel a proud citizen of India."

The Supreme Court was slammed by human rights activists in December when it reinstated a ban on gay sex, following a four-year period of decriminalisation that helped bring homosexuality into the open. The court said only parliament could change the law.

Human rights groups said they hoped the ruling on transgenders would encourage the new parliament to repeal the anti-homosexuality law as one of its first actions.

India is currently holding general elections with the results due on May 16.

(Writing by Nita Bhalla; Additional reporting by Suchitra Mohanty and Sunil Kataria; Editing by Douglas Busvine)
I'm a cis-het male. Ask me about my privilege.

Valica is like America with a very conservative economy and a liberal social policy.

Population - 750,500,000

Army - 3,250,500
Navy - 2,000,000
Special Forces - 300,000

5 districts
20 members per district in the House of Representatives
10 members per district in the Senate

Political affiliation - Centrist / Humanist

Religion - Druid

For: Privacy, LGBT Equality, Cryptocurrencies, Free Web, The Middle Class, One-World Government

Against: Nationalism, Creationism, Right to Segregate, Fundamentalism, ISIS, Communism
( -4.38 | -4.31 )
"If you don't use Linux, you're doing it wrong."

Starkiller101
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Starkiller101 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:28 am

Good for India I guess.
*Edit this is actually great news good job india*
Last edited by Starkiller101 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roll tide. Your local ''Floridman'' who should have left long ago xD

Vindex Nation
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vindex Nation » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:30 am

Sorry but I find all of this dumb. You are born either one way or the other not In-between whatever you are originally is what you are always.
Proud Founder of The Republic Nations

~Conservative Libertarian~

`

"Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~ Calvin Coolidge

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." ~Ronald Reagan

"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." ~William F. Buckley, Jr.

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” ~Ronald Regan

“A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel.” ~ Robert Frost

Cu Math
Senator

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cu Math » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:30 am

Wow. I did not expect this. India has stepped up and done the right thing :clap:
Those who are not willing to support us are second-rate nations, but first-rate main courses.
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
From the Council of Terrible Elders
Distributor of Potato Medals
Acolyte of the NSG Sodomy Club
Requiescat In Pacem, Dyakovo. You were the best of us
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Divair's Big Guide to Proving Evolution
Atheist, Bisexual and Bagpiper
Palestinian-Scottish-American

The One And Only Duke Of The Potato

Dejanic
Senator

Founded: Nov 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Dejanic » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:30 am

Isn't this negative? From what I've read, Transgendered folks want to be recognized as their transitioned Gender (so Male-Female being considered Female, and Female-Male being considered Male.

To elaborate, a Transwoman wants to be seen as a Woman, not as part of a "third gender".
Last edited by Dejanic on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Divair2
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair2 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:31 am

Interesting. India is really a mixed bag.

Starkiller101
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Starkiller101 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:34 am

Vindex Nation wrote:Sorry but I find all of this dumb. You are born either one way or the other not In-between whatever you are originally is what you are always.
You know something. I don't usually talk about this kind of stuff since I don't know much about I'm assuming not everyone likes just being identified as either a guy or a girl.

Vindex Nation
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vindex Nation » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:37 am

Starkiller101 wrote:
Vindex Nation wrote:Sorry but I find all of this dumb. You are born either one way or the other not In-between whatever you are originally is what you are always.
You know something. I don't usually talk about this kind of stuff since I don't know much about I'm assuming not everyone likes just being identified as either a guy or a girl.

But a guy or a girl is what they truly are. There is no 3rd gender.
Proud Founder of The Republic Nations

~Conservative Libertarian~

`

"Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~ Calvin Coolidge

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." ~Ronald Reagan

"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." ~William F. Buckley, Jr.

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” ~Ronald Regan

“A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel.” ~ Robert Frost

Starkiller101
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Starkiller101 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:37 am

Valica wrote:This is a amazing, really.
Out of every country, India.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/04/1 ... A320140415

The Article wrote:NEW DELHI (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - The Supreme Court on Tuesday recognised India's long marginalised transgender community as a third gender and, in a landmark judgment lauded by human rights groups, called on the government to ensure their equal treatment.

There are hundreds of thousands of transgenders in India, say activists, but because they are not legally recognised, they are ostracised, discriminated against, abused and often forced into prostitution.

"Recognition of transgenders as a third gender is not a social or medical issue but a human rights issue," the Supreme Court's two-judge bench said in its ruling.

"Transgenders are also citizens of India. The spirit of the constitution is to provide equal opportunity to every citizen to grow and attain their potential, irrespective of caste, religion or gender."

A person who is transgender does not identify with the gender stated on their birth certificate.

The court ruling - which came after hearing a petition filed by a group of transgenders demanding equal rights - recognised the community as a marginalised group and directed authorities to implement policies to improve their socio-economic status.

The petitioners' lawyers said that this would mean that all identity documents, including a birth certificate, passport and driving licence would recognise the third gender, along with male and female.

The government will also have to allocate a certain percentage of public sector jobs, seats in schools and colleges to third gender applicants, said lawyer Sanjeev Bhatnagar.

Due to their lack of access to jobs and education, many male-to-female transgenders - also known as "hijras" - are forced to work as sex workers or move around in organised groups begging or demanding money.

Hate crimes in the conservative country are common, say activists, yet few are reported partly due to a lack of sensitivity by authorities such as the police.

Transgender rights activist Laxmi Narayan Tripathi said the verdict was a great step towards ending such discrimination."Today Justice Radhakrishnan and Justice A.K. Sikri said that any nation can progress only after it grants all the rights and human rights to its citizens. The transgenders have been given the biggest right," said Tripathi. "Today I feel a proud citizen of India."

The Supreme Court was slammed by human rights activists in December when it reinstated a ban on gay sex, following a four-year period of decriminalisation that helped bring homosexuality into the open. The court said only parliament could change the law.

Human rights groups said they hoped the ruling on transgenders would encourage the new parliament to repeal the anti-homosexuality law as one of its first actions.

India is currently holding general elections with the results due on May 16.

(Writing by Nita Bhalla; Additional reporting by Suchitra Mohanty and Sunil Kataria; Editing by Douglas Busvine)
Just imagine if north korea did that. Imagine what the worlds reaction to that. They'll be What the fuck North korea of all places.

Britannic Realms
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Britannic Realms » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:37 am

Oh my God.
British, Bisexual, Protestant

Pro: civil rights for all, Scottish unionism, electoral reform, mixed economics, NATO, Commonwealth, foreign aid, nuclear weapons
Neutral: Irish unionism, European Union
Anti: fascism, communism, neoliberalism, populism
Disclaimer: Many of my past forum posts (particularly the oldest ones) are not representative of my current views, I'm way more progressive than I was back then lol.

Starkiller101
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Starkiller101 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:38 am

Vindex Nation wrote:
Starkiller101 wrote:You know something. I don't usually talk about this kind of stuff since I don't know much about I'm assuming not everyone likes just being identified as either a guy or a girl.

But a guy or a girl is what they truly are. There is no 3rd gender.
You may be right however I don't really have a strong opinion on this well at least not as much as LGBT rights, so I think its best if avoid this thread.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:40 am

I love the surprise from everyone when transgender culture has been part of India for millennia.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Monkeykind
Senator

Founded: Mar 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Monkeykind » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:41 am

Dejanic wrote:Isn't this negative? From what I've read, Transgendered folks want to be recognized as their transitioned Gender (so Male-Female being considered Female, and Female-Male being considered Male.

To elaborate, a Transwoman wants to be seen as a Woman, not as part of a "third gender".

True, this is not what they want.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:44 am

Good for them.

You hear that, guys?

India's farther ahead in terms of human rights than we in America are.

Fan-fucking-tastic.
Last edited by Viritica on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

Bythibus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bythibus » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:44 am

Dejanic wrote:Isn't this negative? From what I've read, Transgendered folks want to be recognized as their transitioned Gender (so Male-Female being considered Female, and Female-Male being considered Male.

It's different in India.
Hyper-extension of the ego of a megalomaniac female with a strong desire for ruling the world.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:44 am

Says who? Not everyone likes being the gender they were born with. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just the way they are.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:45 am

Some people don't want to identify as either.

Monkeykind
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Monkeykind » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:45 am

Bythibus wrote:

It's different in India.

Explain please.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:45 am

Viritica wrote:Good for them.

You hear that, guys?

India's farther ahead in terms of human rights than we in America area.

Fan-fucking-tastic.

:rofl:

Oh, can it. Don't make this a comparison contest between your nation and mine. There's no scale to compare between, they're entirely different situations.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Dejanic
Senator

Founded: Nov 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Dejanic » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:46 am

Bythibus wrote:

It's different in India.

That's not an excuse. This "recognition" simply puts Transgendered people in a separate camp, instead of simply recognising Transwomen as women and Transmen as men.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:46 am

Britannic Realms wrote:Oh my many-armed Gods.

Fixed that for you.

Good for India. Not that surprising given India's history on the subject, but still a nice little surprise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijra_(South_Asia)
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

Bythibus
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bythibus » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:46 am

Monkeykind wrote:
Bythibus wrote:It's different in India.

Explain please.

Third gender has been a part of Indian culture for at least over two millennium, perhaps longer. It's what India's transgender population most often identifies as, because that's who they are. It's their identity and culture.
Hyper-extension of the ego of a megalomaniac female with a strong desire for ruling the world.

Viritica
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:46 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Viritica wrote:Good for them.

You hear that, guys?

India's farther ahead in terms of human rights than we in America area.

Fan-fucking-tastic.

:rofl:

Oh, can it. Don't make this a comparison contest between your nation and mine. There's no scale to compare between, they're entirely different situations.

Doesn't matter. Transgender people here would like to be recognized as well, yet we don't allow them to be.

It's really not all that funny.

Monkeykind
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Monkeykind » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:47 am

Dejanic wrote:

That's not an excuse. This "recognition" simply puts Transgendered people in a separate camp, instead of simply recognising Transwomen as women and Transmen as men.

This "third gender" isn't even natural...

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:47 am

Dejanic wrote:

Thank you for a sheer ignorance of Indian culture and what trans people in India want.

But I'm sure you know their situation and interests better than them.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General