NATION

PASSWORD

Under the moonlit sky (FT, Closed, attn Xiscapia)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Alversia
Minister

Founded: Apr 26, 2007
Ex-Nation

Under the moonlit sky (FT, Closed, attn Xiscapia)

Postby Alversia » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:02 am

The shores of Azure View were always a sight to behold. The district of Illesia that bordered the sea had been carefully cultivated to retain its facet of beauty in the face of continued growth and development. This was never more stark than at night, when the moon of Alarus reflected off the Haasean Ocean with all the intensity of the midday sun. It turned the sky a heady colour of navy blue that was as beautiful as it was haunting. The apartments, houses and shops that were dotted along the sea-front were lit up like the night sky itself, with all the buzz and hustle of late night shoppers pushing to get those few items before even the twilight sales ended. Closer to the sea that one got however, the more the noises of civilisation began to fade and was replaced by the roar of the sea as the waves broke gently against the sandy shores of Illesia. It was the same if one went a little further down the beach, for soon the busier and more metropolitan areas were left behind and the land was dotted with the estates of Alversia's elite. They were like castles of old, dotted on the small mounds that formed just off the beach itself.

Most of these were dark, their occupants long since retired to bed, all except one; one of the biggest. In this house, almost all the lights were on, with the sound of talk and laughter interweaving with the soothing dulcet of piano music pouring out of large open windows and into the night sky beyond. Along the wall that faced the sea, there were a series of balconies lined up like soldiers on parade and, within one of these was a darkened room. The sounds of the party were muffled here, competing against the sea in a never-ending battle. Lying upon the carpet was a figure, sprawling as if he had fallen, his hands splayed out as if in an attempt to catch his fall. The moon shone in through his window onto dull, unstaring eyes. They glanced out to the ocean as if able to see beyond the tides and shores yet blind to the pool of dark red liquid that slowly swelled around him while the celebrations continued in his absense, the music providing him a symphony with which he met the next world.

The being gasped for air as his muzzle broke the surface, ignoring the rivulets that ran through his fur after being temporarily freed from the chilly water. He took a deep breath, his form scything through like a fish before burying his head beneath the maelstrom he had churned up. His lungs burned and his arms ached but still he kicked, thrashing with his legs as if he was fleeing from great monstrosity while throwing his arms out to scoop the water behind him, digging his way closer to his goal. Through the goggles that encased his eyes all he could see were the bubbles rushing past him, left behind by the speed of his movement, by the strength of his strokes.

Finally, one of those outstretched arms did not strike more water but rock. He clung to it, all rhythm of the stroke lost as his legs curled down beneath him to catch the ground, paws gripping onto stone worn smooth at the bottom. His tail came up to help him balance as he emerged from the water, a sloshing sound echoing through the morning mist as he powered his way to the shore with weary legs. He wore nothing over his grey-white fur but a pair of trunks and the aforementioned goggles, which he snapped over his eyebrows to reveal sharp and intelligent blue eyes. The water ran from his lithe and thin but powerful form as he shook himself dry, unable to avoid the temptation to rid himself of the worst of the water though it caused his black, slick hair to fall down over his face. He checked his watch and saw that it was 07:45, meaning that he was five minutes earlier than expected. He was pleased with this, evidenced by the smile on his short muzzle that exposed sharp, pearl-white teeth. Picking up the towel he had left by his clothes at the side of the gently trickling river, he began to brush himself off before thinking of the day ahead.

An hour later, he pulled up outside a series of gates in a silver painted estate car, the engine thrumming powerfully even as he took his foot from the accelerator. He relaxed back into his chair, waiting as one of the guards who stood vigil here approached him. At the same time, a drone took off from the small hut beside the gate and began to sweep his car with scans, beeping merrily to itself. The fog of the morning had cleared up and it seemed like it was going to be another bright if slightly cool day; a standard autumn day really.

As the Alversian reached his window, the Escan wound it down so that the man could lean through with a friendly smile,
“Morning Inspector,” he said cheerfully, “papers please?”

The male had been expecting that and was ready to immediately hand his identity card to the uniformed guard. He quickly scanned the name and picture, finding nothing out of the ordinary and handed it back to him. He stepped away from the car as the drone peeped that all was clear and nodded to him, “have a pleasant day, Inspector Karius.”

“Thank you,” Karius nodded as the gate began to open with a buzz. Once open, he moved through with his car snorting loudly.

Through the gate he was able to see his destination, a tall and sprawling complex that was a little different to the steel and glass buildings beyond it's expansive compound. It was built mostly of smooth, grey stone with wide windows that shone in the morning light like diamonds on a ring. He parked his car in his usual spot, surrounded on three sides by fairly mundane Alversian make cars and headed for the main building. On his way, he passed a row of police squad cars, painted in blue and white livery with their lights perched on the roof. High above him, he could make out the loud whine as a set of drones took off from the roof and a third one hovered overhead, patiently waiting for its chance to land. There were people passing in through the side door he was taking and as many leaving, some of whom he passed greetings to as he went. When he reached the door, he glanced up at the sign above it. It was something he always did though he was not entirely sure why; the words had long since been etched into his memory;
Illesian Metropolitan Police Headquarters.

Time to go to work.

After passing through more sensor checks, ID checks and medical detectors even, Karius finally stepped out onto the fifth floor with a sigh, rolling his shoulders over as his morning exertions started to make themselves known. The entire floor was open plan but had been divided up into sections by thin walls, behind which he could hear the click of keyboards, the hum of low conversation and the insistent buzzing of phones. He turned into a small enclave in the corner that acted as a kitchen with a microwave, coffee-pot and fridge. He quickly poured himself a cup from the filled coffee pot, with just a dash of milk and two sugars. He took a sip of the burning liquid and sighed in relief as it seemed to pass down into his very soul.

“Morning Jay, you've started early.” he heard the friendly voice behind him.

Karius turned, tail curling in curiosity until he saw the tall, dark skinned and black haired Alversian approaching. His green eyes were twinkling and friendly but he looked tired. “Morning Ryan, can't start a day without the rush, you know that.” he replied in an equally casual tone, watching as the man poured himself a smaller coffee with more milk and no sugar, “How's the family?”

“Not so bad, my lad won at the weekend, that puts his team one game from the final.” Ryan said with not a small bit of pride.

“Congratulations,” now that they both had coffee, they were walking side by side, waving through the little islands of offices on auto-pilot, “he play well?”

“Scored the winning penalty,” Ryan's chest positively puffed up at that, “final minute. They were a man down too.”

“Nerves of steel that one, he must get it from his mother.” Karius said.

Ryan laughed in reply, “I'll have to tell her you said that.” he took a sip, “I take it you were out again this morning?”

Karius nodded, “I got my swim down to 23 minutes,” he was interrupted by Ryan sucking in air, “but I know I can get it down to 21 minutes if I keep at it. My technique's still not perfect.”

“God almighty Jay, you're pushing yourself a bit no?” The other looked at him.

Karius shook his head, “the Azure View meet is in three weeks and I'm definitely going to get it under two hours this time. I was so damn close last year. So I'll be going out again tonight if I get the chance.”

“Yeah, about that,” Ryan looked across at the smaller male, “you've forgotten haven't you? You get your new shadow today?”

“My new what?” Karius blinked a moment, before recognition lit up on his face, “Oh! That! No, no I hadn't forgotten,” he said defensively, “my mind's just on other things. Is she here yet?”

“Yup, she was shown the way by a couple of uniforms. She's waiting in your office now.” They had come to a t-junction created by another set of offices and it was clear that Karius was going one way and Ryan the other, “well good luck. I might see you at lunch.”

Karius took a sip of his still scorching coffee and exhaled deeply. He had forgotten, which was annoying because he had written a note to himself last night to not do exactly that. He had been so damned excited about his progress this morning though. It was especially jarring because he had been so proud that his office had been chosen for the law enforcement exchange program between the IMP and the Rio Casa Police Department on Xiscapia. One of his regular team was going over there for a month and one of theirs would come and work with them for the same period of time. Ah well, time to meet the new girl.

Opening the door to his office, he glanced in and saw her pretty much instantly, offering a hand before remembering himself and bowing instead. He knew he wasn't dressed as a police officer, with a smart-casual shirt under a thick, leather jacket and dark blue jeans with boots covering his feet. Aside from the belt at his slim waist, which included two separate holsters, he could have been anyone off the street.
“Good morning,” he said with a welcoming smile, “welcome to the Illesian Metropolitan Police headquarters...and Alversia I guess. My name is Detective Inspector Janai Karius and you'll be a part of my team. May I ask your name?” he looked at her as he stood over his messy desk, filled with different case papers and memos he'd written to himself as well as leaving just enough space for his luminous blue keyboard and his mug of coffee. It was only as he set it down that it occurred to him.

“Oh, I'm sorry. Can I get you anything? Tea? Coffee? A bit of toast? That's about all we've got up here really.” he said sheepishly.
Last edited by Alversia on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Shal
17/01/2010

R.I.P. Peg
04/06/2018

R.I.P Tweek
16/12/2021

R.I.P Xena
11/02/2022

Alversian FT Factbook

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:38 pm

Slumped in her seat, Detective Tatsu rubbed at her eyes, trying to remember if there was a hangover cure she hadn't tried yet. V-Sobers -Varox, after the Xiscapian pharmaceutical company- existed of course, along with XenoSobers and the Setulanite military-grade cures and half a dozen others, but those cost money, more money than a lot of the other things she'd tried. Greasy breakfast? Been there, done that, tasted good but didn't do shit for her headache. Seltzer just made her want to throw up even more. Water made her feel bloated. Exercise? Call back in the afternoon. A trip to the sauna? Sure, she'd fly there on the luxury yacht she didn't have. More sleep would have been amazing, but she didn't have that luxury.

Putting her head in her hands, the kitsune left out a soft groan as a telephone rang somewhere. It probably would have been a nice chime normally, but the noise felt like it was cracking her skull open and digging directly into her brain. She was struggling to recall why she agreed to this. Not that it was the Department's fault, they'd given her the evening yesterday to get acclimated before coming in today, but at least if she'd been at home she could have called in sick if she drank too much the night before. There was no calling in sick on her first day as the exchange officer to the IMP.

Oh, right. She'd thought it would be easier. Well, so far, so good I guess, Tatsu thought as she leaned back, tail hanging over the side of the seat, staring at the ceiling. The fluorescent lights hurt her eyes, so she closed them. It wasn't like Alversia was known for its high crime rates; quite the opposite, actually. Doing "work" there as a Detective would be like a vacation, as long as her money held out anyway. Besides, it was good to get away from Toshi, who had been making eyes at the Chief again, and the Chief herself, who was like a storm cloud hovering over the office. Something about her new boytoy being away on assignment. She couldn't remember exactly who or what, and she was looking forward to not having to for the next month.

The door swung and Tatsu's eyes popped open to watch the Detective Inspector walk in bearing a cup of joe. She was momentarily surprised; she hadn't been expecting him to be an Escan. Janai was holding a hand out as she stood, and for a moment she looked at it, puzzled, before he remembered himself and bowed, prompting her to return the same to him in a quick, jerky motion so she didn't keel forward onto his feet. They were dressed similarly, boots, jeans and jackets, though her's was an old denim sportcoat with leather patches on the elbows and shoulders. The simple movement of her bow made her jacket ride up to reveal a heavy AXES pistol in a hip holster, while the shoulder holster of her stun gun made a bulge against the same jacket, and he may have seen the telescopic shock baton she had hanging from her belt. The only weapon she had that wasn't so obvious was the sheath in her right boot containing a small tanto dagger.

"I'm Detective Tatsu, RCPD," she introduced herself briefly, sitting back down after a moment. "And coffee's good. Cream, no sugar." He brought her a cup and she took it in both hands, resisting the temptation to reach for her flask and add some liquid foolishness to the mix. That, she knew from experience, was probably the worst thing she could do, just behind hitting herself in the head with a sledgehammer, and it'd have about the same effect. The kitsune sipped, ears perking. "Ah, that's what I haven't tried! Coffee!"
Xis quote of the week: Altaria Almighty: how are you not just a race of sexual predators? Like who needs power armour and gauss rifles when you have leather and whips. –Karaig
The Kitsune Empire of Xiscapia's FT Factbook (V2.5)
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Alversia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alversia » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:48 am

"Ah,that's what I haven't tried! Coffee!"

“Right,” Karius was looking at her with a raised eyebrow and a cocked ear, a curious blend of Alversian and Escan signs to show that he was both confused and considered his new associate a little strange. He had read her record long before she had arrived of course but, he was kind of, well he was expecting a veteran of Xiscapian law enforcement to be a bit more...professional? He wasn't one for suits or combs himself really but there was a limit to what he would try and starting a new assignment with a bad hangover would not have been at the top of his list.

When he had gone off to get the coffee though, he had picked up something else too and only once she had taken a sip and found it to her liking did he throw her a pair of white pills.

“Take these,” he said as he settled in behind his desk, firing up the computer terminal that had been snoozing all night, “they'll help get rid of the headache. That sensitivity to light might not be too bad in dull, overcast Rio Casa but in Illesia here, the sun is shining 10 months of the year so that's going to hurt.” he waited until she had taken them and waited until she looked like she was going to be able to concentrate on him for more than a minute or two before he licked his muzzle.

“Now the Detective Chief Inspector was going to greet you personally this morning and give you a briefing on your remit but...well...he's otherwise engaged,” the male shrugged his shoulders, “so I have the pleasure of doing it instead.” he had forgotten that part as well. He had meant to make notes the night before about things he needed to tell her but, well, she did not look like the sort that a collection of sticky notes were going to impress. So, like much of what he was doing this morning, this was going to have to be on the fly.

“In essence, you are going to be working with the Criminal Investigation Department, the CID. We deal with things such as rape, serious assault, fraud and things of that nature. In the case of our section, we deal with murder. Now I'm sure that Illesia seems quiet compared to Rio Casa and I suppose it is,” he shrugged to suggest he wouldn't know any better, “the capital has a rather clean record in the media and in the galaxy but that doesn't mean it's perfect. We do still get quite a lot of crime so it's not going to be entirely a walk in the park. We keep busy,” that part stirred a little resentment in his mind as he suspected the reason she felt so comfortable getting drunk was that this was going to be a breeze, like a month long paid holiday. No chance.

“So we have a couple of things on the table; a stabbing outside a nightclub, a hit-and-run in the city and what looks like Syndicate activity in the old district,” Karius ran off his head before picking up a pile of datapads and quickly running through them, so it is going to be a brisk morn-”

The phone on his desk ran with a shrill shriek that made even him jump. Very quickly, he scooped it up and placed it to his ear with an apologetic glance to his guest,
“Karius...Yes...uh huh...oh?” His eyebrows came up into a peak, “really? Where? You're kidding...okay...no, we'll be right there...don't touch anything until forensics show up. Okay...see you in five.” he placed the phone down and looked to his partner.

“Seems it's going to be a busier morning than I thought. That was Uniform, there's been a murder in the higher end side of Azure View. Come on, let's go. We'll take my car.” he stood and indicated that she should head out of the door and he would follow.

The journey back through the building was done in silence, through the maze of offices and into the lift before emerging back out into the main foyer. They passed through the scanners again with a few of the Uniformed guards shooting Tatsu a few dirty looks.

Once in his estate car and the engine growling they turned and weaved through the parked cars before turning onto the main road. As soon they had turned onto the straight, Karius gunned the engine and they were speeding towards the sea, it was clear from the way the buildings parted to reveal the slight curved horizon of calm blue water shining in the sun like an ocean of sapphires. They drove along the beachfront, buzzing with families laughing on the beach, people jogging along the promenade or couples cuddling on the many benches facing out to sea. The shop fronts were bright and gaudy with their wears and the atmosphere felt as alive and as fresh as the sea itself.

The traffic was not bad and despite a few red lights, they were soon driving away from the high-rise buildings of Illesia and towards an area where suddenly the houses grew smaller but the space they took up grew bigger, elaborate gardens and green ways shielded by high walls, gates, fences and sensors. Even the cars seemed to morph from family-friendly vehicles to sports cars and expensive saloons. It was quite apparent that they were an area of opulence.

Karius glanced sidelong at his passenger, before clearing his throat to ease himself into conversation, “So, first time on Alversia? How do you like it so far? Seems to me like you got a good look at the night life anyway.”
R.I.P. Shal
17/01/2010

R.I.P. Peg
04/06/2018

R.I.P Tweek
16/12/2021

R.I.P Xena
11/02/2022

Alversian FT Factbook

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:34 am

She was already starting to feel a little better when he handed her the pills. Caffeine didn't do anything to perk kitsune up, sadly, but it still tasted pretty good for office fare. "Yeah, I know," she said when he mentioned the light, thinking of the decidedly un-fun trip here as she popped them into her mouth with a chaser of coffee. Closing her eyes for a moment, she wondered if Karius himself was a drinker if he had that kind of foresight. Maybe she could buy him a drink later.

Tatsu opened her eyes and he, apparently waiting for her, jumped right in. Damn right she was going to be working in the Criminal Investigation Department, she might have wanted an easier time of things but that didn't mean she was after an assignment directing traffic or something. Her ears twitched at the fact that they'd be working murder. She was already a part of the Homicide Division back home, so it sounded like someone here at the CID had done their homework in assigning her. Then he mentioned Syndicate activity and she leaned forward, looking truly interested for the first time. "What kind of-"

The phone rang, he started and she, suppressing her own reaction even as her tail banged against the wall, quickly brought her cup back up to her muzzle, covering it with a quick drink. He seemed more focused on what the other person was saying, and decidedly surprised. Crossing her legs, she leaned back, taking a deep breath as she waited for her heart to stop pounding, and listened. When he put the phone down and explained her ears jumped. "That was fast. So much for sleepy Illesia."

Downstairs the cops manning the scanners glared at her as she went through and, at risk of a cavity search, she scowled right back. She couldn't imagine what she'd done to get on their bad side, but it was too early in the morning for her to be taking any shit. Still holding her coffee, she slid into the passenger seat of Karius's unmarked car and they were off like a shot, making her thankful that her drink was already half-drained. By the time they had started to build up speed on the straight the sunlight was no longer stabbing into her retinas and her head had cleared, leaving Tatsu feeling the best she had since the night before. Leaning forward in her seat, she turned on the radio, flicking past talk show and classical stations until she settled on the blood-pumping crescendos of rock.

Looking out the window, she was struck by the change that went through the buildings, cars and even the people as they got close to the coastline, transforming into a playground for the rich. Alversia had a reputation as a wealthy nation, but it was one thing to know it and a whole other thing to actually see it for yourself. Some of the more luxurious vehicles would have cost her probably half of all the money she'd ever made in her life, and the homes were the stuff of dreams. And there was so much green! How could a murder happen here in all places -an argument over which thousand-credit brand of wine was better?

“So, first time on Alversia? How do you like it so far? Seems to me like you got a good look at the night life anyway.”

"It's all really big," she said, still looking out the window, coffee forgotten. "Big and green. And the people take up so much space. You could fit four houses in there!" Tatsu pointed to a particularly sprawling home, shaking her head. "Wasteful, if you ask me, but I guess they can do whatever they want with their money. Our nightlife is better though," she sat back in her head, head against the headrest. "You ever been into the Kitsune Empire?"
Xis quote of the week: Altaria Almighty: how are you not just a race of sexual predators? Like who needs power armour and gauss rifles when you have leather and whips. –Karaig
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Alversia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alversia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:58 am

"Wasteful, if you ask me, but I guess they can do whatever they want with their money. Our nightlife is better though.”

“Well, you seemed to do well enough out of it anyway,” Karius chuckled with a sidelong glance at his companion, “I think our drinks are stronger so that probably didn't help. As for the houses well yeah, these people are your rich and famous. We've got bankers, CEOs, celebrities and elite athletes all living around here. Normally they would all be based around Terrnacht but these are the ones who fancy a sea view.”

"You ever been into the Kitsune Empire?"

“I haven't actually,” The DI admitted with a casual shrug of the shoulders, “no particular reason really, I think I just chose to take my holidays in the Republic. The Empire never really crossed my mind. And here we are.”

Karius slowed to a stop and indicated right into one of the many walled compounds. Unlike the others however, this one had a wall that was so high, it was impossible to see either the sea or the house itself, concealed behind the high brickwork. It was also distinctive because the gates were open, with the wide entrance half blocked by an Illesian police car, headlights on but sirens and flashing light off. There were two Officers standing here and they approached the estate car as it pulled up.

“DI Karius and Inspector Tatsu, here to investigate claims of murder,” the Escan said to the friendly faced Alversian who poked his head in through the wound down window. At the same time, he flashed his badge to the Police Officer who seemed happy enough to accept that.

“In you go sir, they're expecting you.” He doffed his cap to the man as he stepped back, letting Karius move slowly up the gravel driveway. To the left and right, it looked like they had driven into a national park. The lawns were immaculately mowed with small copses of tress dotted around. It was a vast area, with wild birds fluttering happily around in small groups from tree to tree. There was even quite a large lake, the surface as smooth as glass but as deep a blue colour as the ocean that was just visible beyond the top of the wall on one side. It was obvious that it was some size of grounds, as it took even the car moving at a brisk pace a good ten minutes to actually reach the house itself.

The house was large and actually quite old fashioned in design. The large windows and strange disassembled layout, which made the house appear as if it had been built of many smaller houses merged together, seemed to be the only concessions to the desires of the architect. It was constructed of old stone aged by thousands of years of Alversian storms with wizened, gnarled beams propping it up. The door looked like it could have withstood an ancient siege, constructed of old and sturdy wood studded with thick metal bolts in lines at the top and bottom.

The driveway, which was made of a loose but fine gravel that crunched pleasantly under the wheels of the car as it slowed gently into the turning circle that was already rather busy. Aside from a large and very expensive looking saloon car, there was an ambulance with flashing blue lights, a police van and two further patrol cars. There were officers patrolling around the cars, speaking in pairs though their attention was taken by the estate car as it pulled up. Karius got out and approached the closest group of blue-uniformed Alversians who stood at least a foot and a half above him and flashed his badge.

“Good morning Sir,” A brown-haired, olive-skinned, blue eyed woman nodded in greeting to him and indicated that the pair should follow him, hips shaking a little naturally as she walked and talked, kicking aside an old and empty plastic cup, “I'm Sergeant Mia Stewart and I was the officer who first responded to the call this morning.”

“Oh?” Karius' ear cocked towards her as they walked, passing up a set of semi-circular stairs on their way to into the house, which was dark and cool, “what time did the call come through?”

“We got the call at 8:55, one of the maids had gone into the victim's room and found him lying on the floor covered in blood. She called for an ambulance and the police but the victim was pronounced dead at the scene. The forensics team are in there now. The maid is outside with the ambulance crew, she has suffered from quite bad shock but she will talk if asked.” the woman led them through a large hall with a tiled floor and, finally, up a massive flight of stairs to a room being protected by two officers. A nod from Stewart was all it took for them to let the trio through and into quite the scene.

It looked like the room might have been quite nice at some point. There was a large, King-sized bed with untouched covers on top and fine wood panelling along three of the walls. It was only the wall facing the sea that was all glass, with a nearly invisible sliding door that had been opened so the cool salty breeze blew in softly off the waves. Facing this view was a small coffee table and a big, soft reading chair. On the table itself were a collection of books, one opened, and a lamp. There was a bookshelf along one corner and a series of shelves which held two golden large golden cups and a silver plate. The floor was carpeted in a luxurious and soft white material. That was, however, ruined by the figure in the middle.

He was wearing a dressing gown, while beneath that were signs of patterned pyjamas of a fine make. He was facing away from the window, sprawled along the floor with his hands thrown out and his head to one side. He had rapidly thinning hair on what was left of his skull, for the back had been caved in to the point that it was hard to tell where brain and hair were separated. There was a pool of blood on the floor as big as the pond beyond in the grounds though most of it had blackened and dried. There were four people in the room who seemed like they were wearing normal suits, that was until one of them turned enough to see the shield coating their forms as they brushed down the surfaces and took prints.

One of the men, with clean cut brown hair and a nearly trimmed moustache stepped up to door,
“Ah, Detectives, good morning. A pleasure to see you.”

“Morning Mark, oh,” Karius caught himself at the last moment, “sorry, this is Detective Tatsu, she's here from the Rio Casa PD.”

“Ah, good morning Detective, welcome to Illesia,” the man bowed to her before returning to business, “so here's our stiff. Thomas Madsen, 124, CEO of Madsen Manufacturing.”

“Really?” Karius cocked his ear again, glancing at the body, “they make my fridge.”

“Yeah well, he'll not making much more. He's suffered a catastrophic cranial fracture, probably caused by a large, blunt object. Time of death I would put at around 10.20-10.23. With damage this severe, he would have been dead before he hit the ground.”

“We've spoken to Cathal Wilson sir,” Stewart reported from behind him, “Madsen's chief of security. He says there was a party last night here at the house to celebrate a merger between their company and another but that all were searched and that Mister Madsen retired for the night early. He also says that there is a sensor built into the door frame there,” she pointed to the door, where there was a flashing light, “and that no one entered the room after he entered last night.”

“I see,” Karius turned to Tatsu, “well what do you think?” he asked, handing her a device, “take this. It'll shield you and stop you tampering the evidence if you want to come in and take a look.”
Last edited by Alversia on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
R.I.P. Shal
17/01/2010

R.I.P. Peg
04/06/2018

R.I.P Tweek
16/12/2021

R.I.P Xena
11/02/2022

Alversian FT Factbook

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:05 pm

“I think our drinks are stronger so that probably didn't help."

"No kidding," she sighed, looking back out the window. The news that he'd never visited the Empire on holiday didn't really surprise her. Xiscapia itself didn't have much to recommend it for vacationing, outside of places like the party city of Tenfour or places specifically made as tourist traps like the island of Tanto. She would have been more interested to hear if he'd ever been there on business, but he evidently hadn't. Kept to his city, probably.

"Detective Tatsu," she muttered to him when he introduced her at the gate, though she was more concerned with looking up at the sheer scale of the wall. Someone really liked their privacy. As they rolled up the drive she was looking around, actually kind of impressed that they'd managed to fit what seemed like a personal nature reserve in their front yard. If she hadn't known better she would have thought they'd made a wrong turn and accidentally driven into the wilderness somehow. Yet at the same time the enormous expanse of trees, complete with lake, just seemed like they offered a hundred places to hide.

Glancing up at the home as they got out, Tatsu found her eyes drawn back down to earth as she and Karius stepped up to the busy front of the house. The call had obviously gotten plenty of local response. Falling slightly behind as the DI met Sergeant Stewart, she was distracted for a moment by the wiggling hips of the officer as she explained matters to the Escan. Tail curling, the Detective shook her head, forcing herself to tune back in to the conversation. Call went out at 8:55 this morning, maid discovered the body. Think about the dead person on your hands, Tatsu.

In the room itself her nose twitched at the competing smells of old blood, sea salt and the odors of the half dozen other people who shared the space with her. Her attention was immediately on the crumpled form lying in the middle of the room, arms skew, surrounded by quite a lot of blood that had obviously come from the large head wound where something had caved in the man's skull. Only nodding to the man called Mark and making a note of the name of the victim, she pulled a pad and pen out of her pocket and began to jot down details of the scene while keeping an ear on the conversation, occasionally adding relevant information. Vic: Thomas Madsen, 89, CEO of Madsen Manufacturing. Appliance maker. Time of death: 10:22 P.M., T +/- 2-3. House party... And so on. Apart from giving her a way to reference it all later without relying on her own memory, she'd always found that writing down data helped her think about it.

Accepting the machine Karius gave her, she clipped it to her belt, assuming it was some variant on the Flickinger field that would keep her from contaminating the crime scene if she moved about, at least to a point. "Well the sensor thing is obviously bullshit," she said, glancing at the blinking device. "Somebody bypassed it." She looked to Stewart. "I assume there's a guest list available? I'd like to see it. And what company was Madsen merging with? Can you give me any details on that?" Looking over at the open doorway to the balcony Tatsu frowned to herself and, stepping carefully around the body, crossed to it. "Did the maid say if this was open when she found him?" she asked, crouching down and sniffing around the frame. A kitsune's nose was often one of their most overlooked senses, and while it wasn't as if she'd be able to I.D. anyone based off of smell alone, at least if she hadn't smelled them before, if the perp had left a scent trail behind from the window -and people normally had scent trails- she'd be able to pick it up, even after more than ten hours had elapsed.
Last edited by Xiscapia on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Alversia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alversia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:01 pm

"Well the sensor thing is obviously bullshit, Somebody bypassed it."

Karius looked up at the flashing sensor at the same time as his new partner, his nose wrinkling as if he was smelling it. A frown crossed his features and he turned to Steward who was standing loyally just outside the room, keeping back from the crime scene itself.

“Have the tech guys look at this sensor,” he pointed up to the light, “and I mean every inch of it. Every terminal it connects to and every wire that's in the circuit. If it was so much as farted on at any point in the last month, I want to know what was done to it.”

“Yes sir,” the Alversian replied and was immediately on her radio, speaking in the device that was clipped just above her breast.

"I assume there's a guest list available? I'd like to see it. And what company was Madsen merging with? Can you give me any details on that? ”

“We're getting it now ma'am,” Steward came off her radio as it buzzed with an unheard reply to her request, “it should be here in ten minutes or so. As for the details of the merger itself,” she shook her head, as did Mark who was watching her with an eagle eye as she stepped around his crime scene, “it's only the maids here at the moment Detective and they don't know much about the business side of things.”

While Tatsu stepped across to the balcony, her final question was answered by Mark himself, who seemed a lot more relaxed now that she had stepped away from the body, “it was closed Detective. We opened it so we could take prints and photographs of the balcony and surrounding terrain.” He watched her sniff around the plain, wooden frame with something akin to curiosity on his features but he said nothing and instead turned his attention to Karius. The Escan was kneeling down beside Madsen and studying his body intensely which earned a further alert look from the Analyst, who had the air of a mother bird protecting an egg.

The Alversian Detective looked at the wound first, no longer disturbed by the sight of such gore and then at the immediate surroundings. Once he was done, he went over to join his partner on the balcony, his own nose twitching though first he took a look around. as he took in the scents of the open space. The sea was just a hundred metres from the balcony and a strong wind blew off the lapping waves and over the balcony to destroy the strongest elements of the scent. Directly below them were thick bushes of some kind but they looked twisted and gnarled by the wind with a small gap in the bushes directly beneath the balcony and with smaller gaps dotted throughout. There was an Officer there, standing on a small path that was between the bushes and the sandy beach that ran down to the sea. To either side of this balcony were two others while beyond the house itself were long stretches of grassland with a copse of trees to the left hand side that Karius knew led around to the driveway.

The first thing he realised that it was going to be more difficult than normal thanks to the ocean. At the same time, he could definitely pick up traces of something, smells that were so real to his nose that they were almost physical. He had long since learned to use his gift in his work and he knew that trying to explain it to someone without the same ability was entirely pointless. It simply had no comparison.

“Hmm,” he thought aloud, “I'm picking up Madsen's scent,” that was obvious as it matched the smell from the dead man's clothes, “but I'm picking up others. A rose perfume and a lavender, the smell of sweat. I'm also getting the smell of alcohol. It's nearly as strong as if it were coming out of the bottle itself. There's another scent too, the scent of an expensive aftershave.” He could smell the blood too but that was hardly surprising, given that the coppery smell coming from the room was so strong even the Alversians could smell it. Given that there were so many scents in such a crammed space, it was hard to tell anything from them, especially as the scents had not hung about in the air, other than the smells of drink and blood. It was hard to find trails as they seemed to lead everywhere, spilling over and merging with the smells of the other two balconies and onto the railing on the front of the balcony too. Whoever had been drinking the night before, he had put his hands here a lot.

“What do you think?” he asked her quietly, “there's no signs of a struggle in the room and it looks to me like he was hit from behind. Your sensor idea might not be a bad shout. You take a look at the stiff?” he nodded back to the being dressed in his pyjamas.
R.I.P. Shal
17/01/2010

R.I.P. Peg
04/06/2018

R.I.P Tweek
16/12/2021

R.I.P Xena
11/02/2022

Alversian FT Factbook

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:40 pm

"As for the details of the merger itself it's only the maids here at the moment Detective and they don't know much about the business side of things.”

"Then get me someone who does," she snapped at the woman, turning back to the rest of the crime scene. The fact that the balcony door had been closed when the maid came in didn't necessarily mean anything, but it might eliminate her idea that someone had come in from there. She noticed Mark watching her but ignored the man, concentrating on what her nose was telling her. There were a lot of mixed messages between the sea breeze and the nearby balconies, and she privately cursed the uniforms for having opened the room up to the outside before she could get there and give it a proper sniffing down. Now any unusual smells or scent trails would have been thoroughly destroyed, not something a human would have thought about but very important to a kitsune. Tatsu let her irritation show in lashes of the tail and angled ears as she stood from where she'd crouched, hands on her hips.

As long as the door was open she supposed she might as well see what was out there. A pristine beach and rolling waves, with a pathway beneath the balconies that cut through a line of bushes to get down to the shore. No tracks visible, not that she would have expected to see any if the place had already been swept, though she frowned at the gap in the bushes below the balcony. Maybe someone had dropped from this height and into the plants? "Hey you," she called down to the officer on the nearby path. "See that place in the bushes?" The vixen pointed to the gap. "Look in there and tell me if you see any broken branches or tracks."

Karius came up behind her and Tatsu's ears twitched as she turned around to face him. She was getting similar scents, and she just nodded as he reeled them off, knowing that they may or may not be useful. It was impossible to tell if they were coming from this balcony or the other two thanks to the proximity and wind, but if they smelled those specific aromas later they could prove to be important links. Or it could just be the perfume and aftershave of a couple next door. At least she knew for a fact that the smell of alcohol was here.

“What do you think? There's no signs of a struggle in the room and it looks to me like he was hit from behind. Your sensor idea might not be a bad shout. You take a look at the stiff?”

"I glanced over him," she shrugged, looking past to Madsen again for a moment. "I don't think he's got much to tell us though, at least until we get an autopsy going. Maybe not even then. Seems to me that one of two things happened; either somebody sneaked into Madsen's room last night and did the deed, or he let somebody in and they brained him while he wasn't looking. They would have had to meddle with the sensor if it was the last one though, so if we get something back from that we might get a clue." Tatsu folded her arms. "So either this was a hit by a professional, or somebody Madsen knew did the job. I'm curious about the murder weapon. If we figure out exactly what that was it might go a ways to telling us how this was done. It's not around here anyway, so whoever did it took it with them or tried to dispose it."

The Xiscapian looked back out at the ocean. "What do we know about Madsen himself? Did the guy have any enemies?"
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Alversia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alversia » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:28 pm

At the clipped and rather coarse tone from the Detective, Steward blinked once as if trying to work out quite what she was supposed to have done to annoy the kitsune but nonetheless, she turned and departed from the room, stepping back into the hall while talking on her radio to some unseen force.

Beneath the window, the Officer looked up when Tatsu called to him. She could see, looking down, that for an Alversian the top of the balcony was really only a couple of feet. In fact, she could easily have stretched her foot through the gaps in the supports and kicked his hat from his head it was that low to the ground. It was also quite apparent from the way that this prime piece of beach was entirely deserted that it must be a private stretch. The tide had washed up since the previous evening and retreated again, leaving the sand perfectly smooth, almost like a carpet of fine, white grains. The Alversian Police Officer did as he was told, walking across the path and glancing into the bushes. Before he started poking around though, he pulled on a pair of gloves. He did not go too aggressively with them for fear of damaging any evidence but after a couple of minutes, he looked up to the kitsune standing over him like a queen overlooking her invisible subjects.

“It's definitely been disturbed ma'am,” he called, “there's broken branches in a clear pattern but it's not big enough for it to be a person. Not unless they were about four years old.”

“Thank you Constable,” Karius called down, having come across to join Tatsu gazing at the impromptu search. He turned to look over his head, back into the room, “Mark? Can you get a couple of your guys down there to take a look in that bush? There's something off about it. Definitely.”

As two of the technicans began their journey down to the bush, Karius took a deep breath, his chest puffing up before he let it down slowly. With another quick look to either side down the path, showing that it stretched out into the middle of nowhere, he leant back against the frame of the balcony door, the wood smooth and unblemished under his back. It was a damned fine finish, he thought as he looked it over entirely and saw that it was the same all the way across to the other side. It didn't even have a knot in it.

Seems to me that one of two things happened; either somebody sneaked into Madsen's room last night and did the deed, or he let somebody in and they brained him while he wasn't looking. They would have had to meddle with the sensor if it was the last one though, so if we get something back from that we might get a clue."

“You reckon someone doctored the sensor right? How else could they sneak in?” He looked to her, “I agree that they would have to have done otherwise the security people would have picked it up.

"So either this was a hit by a professional, or somebody Madsen knew did the job. I'm curious about the murder weapon. If we figure out exactly what that was it might go a ways to telling us how this was done. It's not around here anyway, so whoever did it took it with them or tried to dispose it."

“It doesn't look like a professional hit to me though. It's far too...messy...” he pointed to the glass of water next to Madsen, not even touched, “there's at least five types of poison someone could have slipped in there and killed him off in a way that looked perfectly natural. He wasn't a young guy after all. And why would a professional hit him at the one time the house was full of people? Seems like a massive risk to me for a pro to take.”

"What do we know about Madsen himself? Did the guy have any enemies?"

“All I know about him was that he was a quiet man who kept himself to himself. He's never been on the news,” the Alversian detective shrugged, his bushy tail flicking, “no sordid affairs, no corruption allegations, no dodgy dealings off world. Then again, who knows what goes on at the top of the corporate world. I think we can pull a background check on him, see if he's always been squeaky clean or if this is a new thing. We could also check the media, you never know what could have started this off.” He followed her gaze out to the ocean and sighed, “good start to your trip right?”

After a moment of silence, in which Karius simply took in the beauty of the scene before him, the Detective Inspector looked to his collegue.

“I think we're done with the crime scene for now. We should go and speak to the witnesses that we have. The maid and his chief of security are waiting. Which one do you reckon we should talk to first?”
R.I.P. Shal
17/01/2010

R.I.P. Peg
04/06/2018

R.I.P Tweek
16/12/2021

R.I.P Xena
11/02/2022

Alversian FT Factbook

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:44 pm

"Either we've got ourselves another piece of evidence or some idiot was throwing trash in the bushes last night," the kitsune said, looking down into the bushes. She halfway wanted to go look herself, but the two technicians were already down there. Sighing, she turned back around, surveying the scene in hopes that something else would jump out at her. Nothing. Just a bloody corpse and a lot of questions.

“It doesn't look like a professional hit to me though. It's far too...messy...there's at least five types of poison someone could have slipped in there and killed him off in a way that looked perfectly natural. He wasn't a young guy after all. And why would a professional hit him at the one time the house was full of people? Seems like a massive risk to me for a pro to take.”

"Uh-huh, but there's no surer way of making sure a guy's dead than splattering his head on the floor," Tatsu pointed out. "You can cure poison if you're quick enough. Can't cure your skull being cracked open and your brains falling out." She glanced at Karius. "Besides, during a house party might be the perfect time for a professional to do the hit. Now we've literally got a house full of suspects with the opportunity and maybe even the means and motive on our hands. Or the assassin might have been a guest who used the party as cover to get in and and get out." The Detective sighed again. "I really want to see that fucking guest list."

“All I know about him was that he was a quiet man who kept himself to himself. He's never been on the news, no sordid affairs, no corruption allegations, no dodgy dealings off world. Then again, who knows what goes on at the top of the corporate world. I think we can pull a background check on him, see if he's always been squeaky clean or if this is a new thing. We could also check the media, you never know what could have started this off.”

The vixen snorted. "Yeah, and I bet he was a philanthropist who read his kids bedtime stories too. Somebody wanted this guy dead for a reason, and I'll bet my right tit it's shit catching up with him. It usually is. We should get the background stuff, news reports, articles, the whole nine yards. We'll turn up something. Get an intern on it."

“Good start to your trip right?”

"Hey," she spread her arms, "nothing like the smell of rotting brains in the morning, right?"

“I think we're done with the crime scene for now. We should go and speak to the witnesses that we have. The maid and his chief of security are waiting. Which one do you reckon we should talk to first?”

"Let's go with the maid," she decided, stepping carefully around the body again and out of the room, switching off her contamination shield once she was in the hallway outside. "Let the head of security stew a while and think about the work his fuck up's caused us." Tatsu grinned and called back to Mark. "Make sure those guys outside get back to us about what they find in the bushes, alright?" Turning back to Karius, she looked up at the Escan. "Lemme do the talking, alright?"
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Alversia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alversia » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:45 pm

“Yeah well, not a good time to be making any sort of guesses or inventing theories. We don't have all the facts. We don't have any facts really,” Karius shrugged. He found her arguments weak but then he supposed he hadn't offered anything better and he saw the value in her disagreement. He had been jumping the gun a bit but then, in his experience, he just could not see a professional doing such a messy job. Normally they took pride in their work. Then again, perhaps it was a professional hoping to show a poor job and lead the police off on a wild chase while he left the planet at whim. If that was the case then they had only a limited window. Karius was not afraid to admit to himself that he was always a little daunted by murder cases like this. There was pressure in having to find the facts, make them fit a schedule and then find someone who fitted the frame of the murderer. There was always the niggling doubt that at the back of one's mind that failure meant someone would walk away from killing another person scot-free. He had heard the tales of course, of the older detectives who sat and mourned 'the one'. The one case that got away, the one where the clues didn't fit and there was no inspiration, that sat and rotted the minds of those Officers, who would torment themselves for the rest of their lives asking 'could I have done more?' or 'could I have been quicker?' or the worst one of all, 'what did I miss?'. It had yet to happen to him, his murders had been solved fairly quickly but this one was looking like a challenge. He liked a challenge. As they left the room, shedding their shields, Mike gave a cheery thumbs up to the kitsune to show he understood her message, much brighter now they had left.

"Let's go with the maid. Let the head of security stew a while and think about the work his fuck up's caused us."

“Don't think you'll be saying that when you meet him. The guy's got his head so far up his ass he talks in farts,” someone cut across before Karius could reply. The Escan shut his mouth and grinned as they stepped out of the crime room. The voice belonged to a woman who was striding towards them; tall and athletic in build. She had a slender, regal face and friendly, blue eyes while her bob-cut hair shone like copper in the light that shone through the windows of the mansion. She was dressed for business, a grey suit that accented her curves enough to be aesthetically pleasing but not enough to be distracting, a skirt that came halfway down her shins and a pair of converse shoes.

“Ah, Cass,” Karius nodded to her, his tail flicking behind him, “allow me to introduce you. Tatsu, this is Detective Sergeant Cassandra White. She's a member of my team.”

“Delighted,” Cass gave a punctual bow, “Jay, we've just got a hold of the guest list,” she held up a pair of datapads, “I'm going to get the guys back at the office to check it out. This one is for you,” she handed over the second datapad, “David's keeping an eye on the security chief and getting statements from the guards on duty last night.”

“Alright, good stuff. Can you also get the team there to run a background check on Madsen himself? See what you can find by digging through the newspaper articles and industry journals, that sort of thing.”

“Sure thing,” She whipped up her pad and tapped a note to herself on the surface, “I've already run him through the database. He's mostly clean. Got pulled in once in '66 for an assault charge but he was released an hour later when the victim admitted she'd made it up to try and extort money from him. There's a few tax related things too but the Customs guys are adamant that any case with him is long closed.”

As they walked and talked, they passed a fair of Alversians who were sitting in front of the wall in the same corridor as Madsen's bedroom. They were wearing thick, warm jackets that had 'Tech. Crime' written on the back in shining letters. They had drilled two holes through the wall and into these openings they were feeding a pair of wires which ran back to a computer perching on one of the guy's knees.

“If you guys find anything wrong with that system, you let me know,” Karius told them.

One of the men nodded, concentrating on his work, “will do, Inspector.”

Stepping through towards the rest of the house, White broke away from the pair, holding up her pad,
“I think I'll get started on this stuff. It was nice meeting you Tatsu, I look forward to working with you.”

The maid, it seemed was in the main room of the house, surrounded by yet more technicians who were taking snapshots of everything and dusting it all down for prints, though judging from their lack of protective clothing it was considered less of a crime scene. This room, like the bedroom, was decorated in a rich wood panelling on nearly every surface. It was on the floor, the ceiling and the walls while even the furniture, a large and exquisitely decorated sofa, a coffee table that had surface that looked like it was made of solid diamond and a television so big it could nearly have been a stage. Pride of place around all this though, was the fireplace. A great monster of a thing, it looked like a legend from the pages of history, all wrought iron and masonry. It was black and snarled, covered in soot and generally looked ugly. In spite of that, there was a beauty to it, if only because of the workmanship and hours that would have gone into making it. Aside from the freshly sooty fireplace, the rest of the room was spotless.

Above the fireplace on the mantelpiece were a series of photographs; three to one side and four to the other. Four of them were pictures of Madsen with various celebrities and powerful people; actors of stage and screen, fellow business magnates from both the Empire and the Republic and even one of him with a considerably younger looking Aiden Mallon. The other three were on the left hand side, with a noticeable gap between them and the four. One of Madsen and a large, heavily built man standing in front of what looked like a mountain. Another was Madsen and two well-dressed and very well groomed men on what looked like a fishing trip. The third was of Madsen on his own, looking decades younger and holding up a plaque in an office which read 'million sedar barrier broke, Madsen Mining, 2356'. It was the only photograph in which he was smiling.

The maid herself was sitting on the sofa, trembling and sobbing quietly to herself while trying to hold a glass of what looked like water steady. There was a Paramedic sitting beside her, cooing gently into her ear while supporting her by the shoulders. The woman, plump and elderly with grey hair and a lined face, would not make eye contact with either the paramedic or the two people who stepped in front of her.

“Mrs. Walsh,” the woman did not look up as the Escan showed her his badge, “I'm Detective Inspector Karius and this is Inspector Tatsu. Do you mind if we ask you a few questions?”

There was another heaving sob but she nodded ever so slightly. The Paramedic looked up at them.

“She's still in a very bad state of shock. Can we try to keep this short? I've given her some sedative to calm her down but it will take a while for them to work.”
R.I.P. Shal
17/01/2010

R.I.P. Peg
04/06/2018

R.I.P Tweek
16/12/2021

R.I.P Xena
11/02/2022

Alversian FT Factbook

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:27 pm

“Yeah well, not a good time to be making any sort of guesses or inventing theories. We don't have all the facts. We don't have any facts really."

"Fair enough." She'd recognized that herself. There were a lot of variables at work, and a lot of stuff they didn't know. With a little time and a lot of work they'd get a clearer picture of what had happened in Madsen's bedroom last night, and more important, why it had happened and who had done it. Investigations succeeded when those questions were answered, and failed when they weren't. And she had no intention of failing.

Looking up at the voice that intersected between her and Karius, Tatsu looked the woman up and down, undressing her with her eyes before she could stop herself. She had no idea if White noticed, and it ceased to matter a moment later as she was introduced and the Detective Sergeant handed over a datapad, the computer instantly getting the kitsune's attention. "Hey," she bowed back, wanting to make a grab for the guest list but seeing that Karius was already looking it over. Reminding herself that most of the names probably wouldn't mean anything to her and it would take research to find out who they were and whether they could be considered suspects, she turned her ears to what the woman was saying. Provoked assault decades ago and some tax matters -not exactly promising leads. Sighing, she gave an abbreviated bow to White as she left them and followed Karius into what she supposed was the ultra-rich version of a living room.

The table alone looked like it could probably buy her entire apartment building, and if she'd somehow acquired the television on the wall she wouldn't have had anywhere to put it. Tatsu had to keep her mouth from dropping open as she looked around, eyes sweeping across the the fireplace, somewhere between disgusted and awed by the excess of it all. The photographs were almost an afterthought compared to the fireplace, but she took her time looking at them, noticing that Madsen didn't seem like he'd been a happy man at the best of times, or at least not particularly given to showing it even when hobnobbing with other rich and famous people. The only picture he was smiling in was the one related to profit, and she frowned as she read the caption provided by the plaque. "Madsen Mining?" she said to Karius, nodding at it. "I thought he was just into appliances?"

Finally looking down at the maid, she hesitated. Dealing with people, particularly shaken witnesses and the like, had never been her strong suit. The woman didn't look capable of blowing her own nose, never mind giving an interview, and her brief idea of moving her to a quieter room without so many pictures of her old boss in it was quashed by the sight of her. "Detective," she muttered absently to Karius at his introduction, nodding at the paramedic's words. She was tempted to suggest they should just come back later, do the interview with the head of security first, but they didn't have all day. Besides, if this went badly they could try again another time.

"Mrs. Walsh," she knelt down in front of her, looking up at the woman, tail flat on the floor. "I know this must be very difficult for you, but we need your help. I need you to tell me if you noticed anything unusual or suspicious last night, especially related to Mr. Madsen. Take your time." She summoned what she hoped was an encouraging smile.
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Alversia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alversia » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:22 pm

"Madsen Mining? I thought he was just into appliances?"

“It started out that way,” The Escan explained, “but now it's just one division of Maden's industries. They own stakes in everything from starship building to mining to the car industry and construction. The company's massive. It made Mister Madsen a very, very rich man.” the last part he said under his breath, for fear of bringing distress to the maid at the mention of her old employer. Not that it mattered, he doubted she would have reacted if old Madsen had wandered in himself.

Karius turned to look at the photographs as well, eyes narrowing as he took each of them in turn. The faces in each were what he took in first, as they could provide of some use in the event that they needed to start mapping people to places around this man. It was a technique he had had picked up a long time ago from older detectives, to memorise or take notes of absolutely everything you could because it may not be there forever. That was what he was doing with the faces now. Sure they would be taken in as evidence, or at least copies of them would, but even the crime scene guys could miss a detail. It may not be important in 95% of jobs but that single detail might let a killer walk free.

He raised an eyebrow as a thought formed in his head but he didn't think to bring it up, not yet. He held his tongue both to let the embryonic idea form mature in his head and because his partner had lowered herself to eye level with their witness, speaking in a reassuring and soft tone that did a little to placate the woman, if only because she was now looking into a pair of brilliant kitsune eyes that seemed to entrance her for a moment. Karius suspected, for all the metropolitan nature of the Republic, she had not interacted with many kitsune in her time, at least so up close and personal.

"I know this must be very difficult for you, but we need your help. I need you to tell me if you noticed anything unusual or suspicious last night, especially related to Mr. Madsen. Take your time."

“I...we were off last night, Officer,” Mrs. Walsh sniffed, “Mister Madsen often does...did that when he had parties. He brings...he brought in professional caterers and waiters to serve his guests. We started work again this morning at 6, tidying up the mess from the party. Mister Madsen likes...sorry, liked to keep a spotless house. He normally wak-woke up at 7am or so and we would bring him his breakfast and the business news at 7.30. Only he never rang his bell today to summon one of us so we didn't disturb him. We thought he might be enjoying his retirement...” She sobbed into a handkerchief kindly provided by the medic.

“He had retired?” Karius couldn't help but intercede but keeping his voice quiet as neither to disturb her or to disrupt her flow, “that was kept out of the news.”

“Oh yes, it was very secret, he made us sign contracts months ago so we wouldn't tell anyone. He stepped down from running the company years ago though. He just wanted the transition to be...seamless...” another snort into the white cloth in her hand.

“I understand,” Karius leant down and patted the elder Alversian gently on the knee, “you're doing brilliantly Mrs. Walsh.” it seemed the effect of the two friendly and understanding Detectives was having the desired effect for she seemed to have calmed down. At least, she was communicating a bit better than she had been at the start, even if the Paramedic was still propping her up with her own shoulder. She still jumped when any of the yellow coated Crime Scene Investigators swept past so Karius waved them away with a frantic beat of his tail. Though they lacked such a limb, the Alversians quickly got the message and beat a retreat from the sitting room.

“May I ask who is in charge now?”

“Jason is...sorry...Jason Cassidy. He took over from Mister Madsen years ago. Mister Madsen had just stayed on to give him advise. They've always been very close...Mister Madsen took him under his wing you know? Like an apprentice. It helped him get over...well...all that trouble...” She shifted uncomfortably in her seat, suddenly a lot more edgy now despite her trembling form.
Last edited by Alversia on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
R.I.P. Shal
17/01/2010

R.I.P. Peg
04/06/2018

R.I.P Tweek
16/12/2021

R.I.P Xena
11/02/2022

Alversian FT Factbook

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:36 am

So that meant that none of the regular staff were here during the party. Her eyes narrowed. That didn't automatically eliminate any of them as suspects, but without the opportunity it wouldn't take much to rule them out, at least if Madsen's security had been doing their job on that front. It also seemed that the man, like many, had been a creature of habit, with specific times for waking up and breakfast. She knew better than most that having a set routine made you predictable and could get you killed, and she wondered if Madsen's killer had been aware of the amount of time they'd have between the murder and it being discovered. Tatsu's ears twitched at the mention of retirement, so she didn't mind Karius's interjection one bit.

A secret retirement party? She glanced up at Karius, trying to gauge if that sort of thing was normal here. It seemed bizarre to her, but she didn't know much about Alversian corporate culture. "Yeah, you're doing great," she nodded to the woman, thinking she was doing rather well for an old woman who had discovered the blood-soaked corpse of her boss just a couple of hours ago. She patted her on the knee when she started, looking up into her eyes. The eye contact seemed to help her, and it kept Tatsu from shooting a death glare at the investigator who'd bustled by.

"What sort of trouble, Mrs. Walsh?" she asked. "Trouble with someone?"
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Alversia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alversia » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:03 am

"What sort of trouble, Mrs. Walsh. Trouble with someone?"

“Oh...um...” Mrs. Walsh started to shift uncomfortably in her seat, shaking her head, “oh, I shouldn't have brought it up. It was decades ago when it happened, long before Mister Madsen moved into this house. You shouldn't speak ill of the dead and I don't think it's very relevant...”

“On the contrary, Mrs. Walsh,” Karius spoke gently but firmly to the woman, breaking her out of the trance of muttered justifications she had been whispering to herself, “any little piece of information you can give us would be greatly appreciated and all of it could be relevant. We're not asking you to speak ill of Mister Madsen, just give us an unbiased and balanced view of what happened from your perspective. That's all we're asking.”

“But...it was so long ago...”

“Just give us the details as best as you can remember them. You're not being interrogated,” the wolf smiled warmly at her and that seemed to be the final piece of the puzzle that cracked her reluctance. She heaved a sigh and slowly shook her head.

“It was back in the 80's, Mister Madsen and Mister Lynch-”

“Mister Lynch?” Karius interrupted her without force, enough for her to stop but enough to panic her or make her retreat back into her shell, “who is Mister Lynch?”

“Oh, Gareth Lynch. He and Mister Madsen are friends, and have been for as long as I've known Mister Madsen. All the way back to the 40's we go. They built the company up together you know, they ran it together for twenty years. Mister Madsen ran the business side and Mister Lynch went out into the field. It was Madsen Mining back then, you see. They have a lot of mines on Earthius I know and across the galaxy. They worked like this for twenty years until, suddenly, Mister Lynch left the company. He just stormed off and wouldn't tell anyone why. I know that Mister Madsen was horribly upset about it all. That would have been only a few years before he met Jason Cassidy and took him in. I'm sorry,” she shook her head, “I remember a lot of shouting but not many details. They argued fiercely at the time even back then but they always made up. They were like brothers, always arguing but the love was there.”

“It's okay, Mrs Walsh, that was very helpful,” He said with some conviction thoug he was unsure how truthful that statement was. Just how helpful a thirty year old argument was to the current situation was debatable, “where is Mister Lynch now?”

“Oh, he's back at the company. Mister Madsen hired him back as a member of the board but it's not been the same between them. They don't talk much and there's just an...was just an air around them both. I can't say what happened but I don't think they were friends any more.” She shook her head.

“Was that helpful?”

“It was, Mrs Walsh.” Karius waited for Tatsu patiently.
R.I.P. Shal
17/01/2010

R.I.P. Peg
04/06/2018

R.I.P Tweek
16/12/2021

R.I.P Xena
11/02/2022

Alversian FT Factbook

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:37 pm

"Yes, thank you," Tatsu nodded to the woman and smiled. Standing, she glanced at Karius and jerked her head to the other side of the room before remembering the maid. "I'm going to have a word with my partner," she told her. "Just stay right here. Let us know if you need anything."

Giving another nod to the paramedic, she crossed the living room and stood half turned to the wall, back to them as Karius caught up. Her tail curled through the air as she looked the Detective Inspector in the eye, arms akimbo. "I don't think she really knows anything that could help us," she said bluntly, keeping her voice low. "She wasn't here last night and it doesn't seem like she knows much about the company's current operations. Just a lot of ancient history. Still, it's probably worth paying Mr. Lynch a visit," she glanced over her shoulder to Walsh. "After we're done here. But I'd say it's time to move on to the security chief."
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Alversia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alversia » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:31 am

Karius nodded his apologies to the maid as he was led back out of her earshot. There he stood with his hands folded over his chest, ears perked towards the vixen as she spoke. Her voice was low, low enough that none of the Alversians could overhear but he could pick it up clear as crystal. His eyes kept flicking towards the servant and the paramedic.

"I don't think she really knows anything that could help us, she wasn't here last night and it doesn't seem like she knows much about the company's current operations. Just a lot of ancient history. Still, it's probably worth paying Mr. Lynch a visit,"

“I agree about Mr. Lynch,” the Detective Inspector nodded, “I'd like to know what the nature of their disagreement was about, and if it was worth killing a man over. I do have a couple of questions I want to ask her though just before we move on the chief of security.” He turned and headed back to Mrs. Walsh, who was now looking a bit weary on it, her eyes half-lidded and her head lolling. The paramedic beside her was now actively supporting her, to stop the woman was simply falling over. She looked up as the Officer sat down again, her expression suddenly apologetic.

“Sorry Detective,” she said, “but I thought you were finished so I gave her a second dose of the sedative.”

“That's alright,” Karius was a little annoyed but there was nothing to be done about it now and it served little purpose to show it, “I just another couple of questions for you, Mrs. Walsh.” he turned his attention to the now half-dozing maid.

“Okay...” she slurred, half asleep, “I'll help...anyway I can...”

“Was Mister Madsen troubled in the last few weeks? Did he look like he had something on his mind?”

“Yeah...he was...annoyed...mood swings...but you know...retirement...leaving the company...hard work...” She mumbled, her head now resting on the young Medic's shoulder.

“Okay and, just one more thing I wanted to ask you Mrs. Walsh,” the Escan turned his body a little so that the elder woman could see the fireplace, “you said that Mister Madsen was very particular about cleanliness and symmetry right?”

“Oh yes,” she nodded keenly, but in her current state it was rather a weak gesture, “once he bought an antique cabine-”

“-Yes, thank you,” Karius put his hand up to stop her repeating her tale, “if he was so obsessed about it, can you tell then why he has four pictures on one side of the fireplace and only three on the other? Would he not have noticed?” He pointed at the gap between the two sets of pictures on the fireplace.

“Oh...oh yeah...there should be something there...Mister Lynch...good photograph...Mister Madsen...definitely notice. He liked that photograph...” she trailed off as she went to sleep, eyes closing and her breath slowing as she dozed off with the Paramedic easing her down onto the couch.

Karius sighed and turned to his fellow detective, “Alright, so a photo's gone missing. I know it doesn't seem that important but given the victim's obsession with keeping everything perfect, I'd say there's a good chance this photograph went missing sometime after his death, sometime when he wouldn't have noticed.” The Escan shoot his head, “Anyway, let's get on to the security chief.”

The Chief of security was in a small office in another wing of the house. He was being watched by two IMP constables, who stepped aside. Inside, the chief was sitting in his chair, a series of 8 monitors behind him showing various sections of the house and grounds. He looked a little older, with grey hair at his temples and heavily built. At the sight of the two detectives, he stood impatiently.

“Good afternoon,” he nodded, but his expression was indignant, “I am Cathal Wilson and I was in charge of Mister Madsen's private security. Do you have any further details on the circumstances? Have you arrested Lynch yet?” His eyes darted from one to the other.
R.I.P. Shal
17/01/2010

R.I.P. Peg
04/06/2018

R.I.P Tweek
16/12/2021

R.I.P Xena
11/02/2022

Alversian FT Factbook

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:30 pm

Karius turned around to her with the missing picture angle and Tatsu just shrugged, tail swishing impatiently. The guy had apparently liked to keep things clean, but she'd expect most anyone employing a maid to. As for symmetry, she hadn't seen any evidence of that kind of OCD obsession, though it wasn't completely unbelievable. Still, compared to the murder a misplaced photo seemed utterly irrelevant. "Whatever, Inspector."

Following her partner into the security room, the Xiscapian came in behind him and peered around the Escan to look at the security monitors. Covering the entrances and the like as she would have expected, but what she was looking for was anything near Madsen's room either inside or outside. If something obvious had come up on the footage someone would have already found it, but if a camera was placed right it was always possible that someone had missed something. Looking away, she examined the security chief and found herself unimpressed. I wouldn't trust him to guard a shopping mall.

"Arrested Lynch?" she asked, folding her arms as she looked up at the Alversian. "Now why would we do a thing like that? You know something we don't, Mr. Wilson?"
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Alversia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alversia » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:02 pm

"Now why would we do a thing like that? You know something we don't, Mr. Wilson?"

“Apparently I do,” Wilson replied with all the drama and weight of a man who was about to reveal the greatest scandal in Alversian history. For his part, Karius kept his rather sceptical thoughts to himself and waited to see just what the man had to say. His thoughts would be fairly in line with those of Tatsu, the guy was nothing more than a jumped up security guard whose high profile assignment had given him delusions and assumptions about his own abilities far beyond their reality. In spite of this, there was no denying the guy might have some information of use to them.

“Lynch was here last night, a guest on the behest of Mister Madsen,” he explained casually, “he had a bit too much to drink, as he often tends to do these days and got into a terrible fight with Madsen. The two of them were roaring at one another. It looked like it was going to come to blows before my people stepped in. I was going to call the police, have them take Lynch to a drunk tank so he could calm down but Mister Madsen overruled me. He wanted Lynch to calm down in the house. We left him asleep in one of the side rooms with one of my guys watching the door with orders to check him every half hour. Of course, the drunken bastard must have climbed out the damned window. When he checked on him, the guy was gone, straight out the window. It took us an hour to find him.”

“And where was he. Mister Wilson?” Karius asked.

“Huddled in one corner of the grounds. He was covered in blood and quite badly cut so we called for an ambulance. As far as I know, he's still there. Of course, at that point, we didn't know what had happened to Mister Madsen.”

“Yes, it was funny that, how your 'security guards' didn't realise their charge was dead until this morning. Paid much were you?” The Escan said in a bit of a more deadpan voice than he had perhaps intended.

Wilson looked at him with narrowed eyes but there was a clear blush in his cheeks, “my security detail is 6 people. That is 6 people to watch Mister Madsen around the clock. He refused to let me hire more guards for the party tomorrow. You do realise that apart from our normal duties of patrolling the grounds, monitoring the perimeter sensors and keeping an eye on the house, we were also watching about sixty of the most influential business people in Illesia? We were stretched so thin I'm surprised more weren't bumped off.”
R.I.P. Shal
17/01/2010

R.I.P. Peg
04/06/2018

R.I.P Tweek
16/12/2021

R.I.P Xena
11/02/2022

Alversian FT Factbook

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:51 am

"Mmmhmm," Tatsu grunted as Wilson started to explain himself. If the man had been someone else like Mrs. Walsh she would have had her notebook out, scribbling things down for reference later, but for the time being she just stared at him, as if not wholly inclined to believe him. She supposed the bond between Madsen and Lynch must have been strong indeed for the former to invite a man who'd made so much trouble for him to his retirement party, but she didn't bother to ask. Wilson didn't seem like the kind of person Madsen would have confided anything in. The security chief was here to throw out drunks and call the police on burglars, not as a confidante, and it showed.

Karius made his observation and his partner just smirked. "Sounds like a lot of excuses, Mr. Wilson," she said, drawing his attention back to her. "Mr. Madsen is dead now. You had one job: to protect him. You failed to do that job. Now we're left to clean up your mess." Her tone, which had been bordering on civil, turned. "I'm not interested in hearing you try to cover your ass. After this you'll be out of a job anyway."

She took a step towards him, tail lashing. "So Mr. Lynch turns up covered in blood in the corner of the grounds after an hour with him unaccounted for. You called an ambulance, not the cops. Fine, he probably got the cuts jumping out the window, right?" She waited for him to confirm. "Doesn't mean there was foul play involved. But you didn't think to inform Madsen? The same man who had ordered that his friend be kept here to detox, presumably because he cared enough not to send him to jail for the night, and you didn't think he'd like to know that he had to be rushed to the emergency room?" The vixen took another step, less than a foot away from Wilson, predatory eyes locked on him. "Sounds awfully convenient, Mr. Wilson. Almost suspicious, even..."
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Alversia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alversia » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:23 pm

Wilson's face went the colour of beetroot once Tatsu was finished speaking and whatever he was going to say was lost in an immediate outburst of spluttering and spitting, as if he was choking on his own retort. His expression was livid and he towered up to his full height, chest puffed out indignantly before he snapped his gaze to Karius. His lips had formed into a tight, line, so hard pressed that they had been leaked of all colour. Again, the Escan waited patiently for him to get his words in order,
“This is outrageous! The things I am being accused of! Detective, I have half a mind to contact your Superior immediately! These baseless insults being thrown about by your Colleague...”

“Sir, if you would just calm down-” Karius put his hands up in a defensive gesture, brought back to his days as a beat cop on the strip along the Illesian coast line. How many times had he had to make this same gesture, as rich and slightly drunken patrons waited for taxis and angrily demanded to know why they weren't being allowed to drive home for the third or fourth time in as many minutes. It had taken a lot of patience then and he could see it was going to take a lot here as well.

Before he could say much more, Wilson cut across him, “-I am answering no more of your questions without my Solicitor present.” He said with the decisiveness that suggested he had made his mind up.

“Mister Wilson, if you bring in your Solicitor then we need to bring you down to the station, we need to formalise your entrance into the station, bring you to an interview room and then write down everything you say. You won't want that and we don't want that. No one is accusing you of anything, we would just like to know your reasoning behind your actions last night. We are trying to establish a time-line of movements. So...please, can you answer Detective Tatsu's questions?”

Wilson looked at Karius for a long time, very determinedly ignoring Tatsu in every way but his rigid stance relaxed a little and it was apparent that he had been convinced by the Escan. He sighed deeply, running a hand through his greying hair,
“Last night, I had absolutely no reason to suspect Lynch was involved in any foul play. He wouldn't have been the first person cut on Mister Madsen's thorn bushes and given how drunk he was...it would hardly have been surprising if he'd fallen flat into them. My first priority was to call for an ambulance and tend to his injuries. I did not call the Police because he hadn't technically broken any laws. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that stumbling drunk around the grounds of a house you have been invited to is not illegal, do I? I know the Police hate calls like that,” he shot a look at Tatsu, “he was with the best people to look after him. As to why I did not inform Mister Madsen of the events, when I got back from looking after Mister Lynch, he had already retired to bed and left instructions with my man watching him not to be disturbed. There was a standing order on this house that Mister Madsen was not to be disturbed once he had gone to bed anyway but he had left specific instructions last night for no one to bother him unless it was of the utmost urgency. Given that Mister Lynch was not in life-threatening danger and the police were not involved, I saw no reason to countermand his request.”

“Was there any particular reason your man gave for him not wishing to be disturbed?” Karius asked with a frown.

Wilson shook his head, “No concrete reason. My man suspected he might have been with a lady but I can't say for certain.”
R.I.P. Shal
17/01/2010

R.I.P. Peg
04/06/2018

R.I.P Tweek
16/12/2021

R.I.P Xena
11/02/2022

Alversian FT Factbook

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:23 am

Staring the security chief down, Tatsu resisted the urge to smile. Needling fools was one thing, but she'd had a vague kind of hope that the man might crack under the pressure and say something useful. As it was he just blew up big and red like a gas giant, and she rolled her eyes at him and and wondered if he'd be dumb enough to take a swing at her. She almost hoped he would: if nothing else, it would liven things up. But Wilson managed to keep his temper in check, for better or for worse.

"Nobody's accusing you of anything, shitbird," she told him, at least solidifying the "insults" part of the man's claims. If he's going to say that might as well make it true. He didn't seem like he even heard her, instead looking to Karius as the Escan scrambled to run damage control. She wouldn't have minded taking Wilson out of his comfortable environment and down to the station to let him sit and stew for an hour or six, but the vixen said nothing. That would ultimately be Karius's decision, and it was clear that he had no desire to waste too much time on Wilson.

She listened to him explain himself and didn't hear much of anything of interest until the end. Her ears perked at the mention that Madsen might have had a lady in his room. Our killer? she wondered, glancing back at Karius. That would be worth checking out. Wilson shot a look at her and she stared back at him, locking eyes until the man looked away, back to the safety that was her Escan partner. Taking a couple of steps back, Tatsu leaned against the wall, arms folded.

"So you yourself said Lynch didn't do much of anything illegal, and we both agree there was no reason to suspect him of foul play. So, going back to what you greeted us with, why the hell would we arrest him? It's not like he was in any condition to have come back and murdered Madsen," she flicked her tail. "And this lady Madsen might have been fucking. Know who she is? Or should we speak to the man who was supposed to be watching him?" Of course, she already had plans to do that. But Wilson didn't need to know that.
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Alversia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alversia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:00 pm

When Tatsu replied to Wilson, Karius found himself with the entirely uncommon desire to reverse time. If it was a power he had been bestowed with, he would have rewound time a few seconds and proceeded to talk over anything the vixen was going to say, because everything that came out of her mouth just made everything worse. In that second after her reply, he saw Wilson's expression harden and he knew that they were going to get nothing more out of him. He had used up his quota of good will for the day.

“You may speak to my man if you wish. His name is Darren Curtis. I'm sure you can track him down. Are we done here?”

“We are, thank you for your time Mister Wilson. You have been most helpful.” Karius said with the most genuine smile he could imagine but he suspected that it came out more as a grimace more than anything else. Wilson just fixed him a steady look and, again without looking at the kitsune, he turned and headed from the office, past the officer who had been guarding the door. Only once he was sure that the man had left and the officer was otherwise occupied did Karius ran a hand through his hair, making the ears on the top of his head flick, “shit.” he sighed softly to himself and shook his head. He turned to Tatsu, tail swishing,
“Okay, we'll speak to Curtis first, see if we can get a description of this mystery woman and then we'll go interview Lynch. Regardless of what you told Wilson, it is worth checking out. Shall we go speak to the security guard then? Perhaps you should let me handle this one?”

The man, it turned out, was waiting in one of the side rooms and again guarded by police. He looked youngish and was playing nervously with his hand as the pair stepped in. His eyes shot from one to the other with the sort of expression Karius recognised from his time as a beat cop and even from before that. The look of someone who feared they might have done something wrong.

“Darren Curtis?” Karius asked. The man just nodded, “my name is Detective Inspector and this is Detective Tatsu. We'd just like to ask you a few questions if we may.” the man again nodded.

Unperturbed, Karius continued, “I understand that you were guarding Mister Madsen at the party last night?”

Once again, the only response they got was a nod.

“Was he ever out of your sight?”

“Only when he went to bed,” Curtis finally said in a dry voice. He sounded tired, both physically and from mental anguish. The former was clear from the heavy bags under his eyes, the latter discernible from the the lines across his face that seemed to have sprung up overnight, “I stayed outside his room until I was relieved at 4 this morning.”

“Where you outside his room for the whole of that time?”

“Umm...no,” he squirmed in embarrassment, “at about five past ten, he came out and told me to make myself scarce for half an hour. I told him that it was highly irregular and that I would need to clear it with Mister Wilson first but he insisted that I go. Demanded it in fact. So I did.”

“I see,” Karius made a note of that, “and did you go back half an hour later?”

“Sooner, I'd only been gone 15 minutes when Mister Wilson found me. He tore into me for leaving my post and told me to get back there immediately and told me to check on Mister Madsen when I did. I went back to my post and knocked on the door and asked if he was okay. Mister Madsen replied back through the door saying he was fine. So I stayed where I was.”

“Are you sure it was him?”

Curtis scrunched his face up in thought, “it was loud, because of the party but I asked him twice to make sure and he replied both times. I contacted Mister Wilson to say he was okay and then stayed on my post.”

“I see, did you see a lady go into his room then?”

“No Sir, but I did see him speaking to a lady during the party. I couldn't hear the conversation on account of the noise but I saw she looked very concerned.”

“Do you have a description?”

“She was tall, with blue eyes and blonde hair all scrunched up into a bun,” he mimicked the ball at the back of his head with his hands, the most animated he had been, “she had freckles across the bridge of her nose too and she was wearing a red dress and these pearl earrings...” he animated each of these in turn though it was obvious to Karius it was as much for his own benefit as for the detectives.
R.I.P. Shal
17/01/2010

R.I.P. Peg
04/06/2018

R.I.P Tweek
16/12/2021

R.I.P Xena
11/02/2022

Alversian FT Factbook

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:11 am

"“Okay, we'll speak to Curtis first, see if we can get a description of this mystery woman and then we'll go interview Lynch. Regardless of what you told Wilson, it is worth checking out. Shall we go speak to the security guard then? Perhaps you should let me handle this one?”

"If you want," she just shrugged. "For the record, I never thought Lynch wasn't worth checking out. I just wanted to know why Wilson thought we should arrest him. Probably just on account of him giving them a hard time, though if you ask me a wet paper bag could have given that clown a hard time. He didn't know shit anyway." Far from being perturbed, the Xiscapian seemed almost pleased with herself.

Standing off to the side in the next room with Curtis, Tatsu just shoved her hands in her pockets and watched the guard. Walsh had been in a state of shock and Wilson almost offended by it all, but this man just looked anxious, and for once she thought it was probably better that her partner took this one. Curtis looked like he'd break down crying at a misplaced word. So she just listened, again not bothering with the notebook. At least Karius got her rank right this time around.

"So Madsen told you to fuck off for a while at five past ten, and you came back at about ten twenty, right? Your boss says you think Madsen had a lady up there. Was it normal behavior for Madsen to invite women to his parties and bring them upstairs to fuck?" She cocked an ear. "Obviously he didn't do it without any guards around before. Or at least not when you were on duty. Were you new here, Curtis?"
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Alversia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alversia » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:17 am

"So Madsen told you to fuck off for a while at five past ten, and you came back at about ten twenty, right?”

Curtis nodded at that, “Yes ma'am, I checked the time exactly before I left and immediately after I came back. Mister Wilson liked us to be able to tell where we were at exactly any point. I guess it was because...well...for things like this I guess.”

“Your boss says you think Madsen had a lady up there. Was it normal behavior for Madsen to invite women to his parties and bring them upstairs to fuck? Obviously he didn't do it without any guards around before. Or at least not when you were on duty. Were you new here, Curtis?"

The Alversian blinked at the abruptness of the woman's speech and looked to Karius for a moment, as if wondering if the Escan was going to reprimand her or chide her for the language. When he make no overt motion one way or the other, the security guard looked back to Tatsu and shook his head,
“I've been working here for six months ma'am and in that time, Mister Madsen had never taken a woman to bed before. I only thought it because he seemed to be spending a lot of time with one particular woman last night at the party. They kept going off into a quiet corner to talk to one another. I thought...well, I thought that maybe seeing as he had retired he was...loosening up a bit.”

“Did you see any sign of her after you had returned to your station?” Karius asked next, noting it down, as he had been noting down everything.

This time the guard shook his head,
“There was no sign of anybody, Sir. No one approached me the rest of the night and I stood at my station for the rest of the night.”

“I see,” Karius finished off his note-making with a swirl before looking over to Tatsu, “Well thank you Mister Curtis. I have no further questions for you and if my partner has none either then we'll let you go. Have you given your details to the other officers?”

“Yes Sir.”

Karius looked across to Tatsu and waited patiently for her to finish the interview.
R.I.P. Shal
17/01/2010

R.I.P. Peg
04/06/2018

R.I.P Tweek
16/12/2021

R.I.P Xena
11/02/2022

Alversian FT Factbook

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads