NATION

PASSWORD

Using multiple nations productively [GUIDE]

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.
Astholm
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Using multiple nations productively [GUIDE]

Postby Astholm » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:38 am

This is just a basic guide on what's what regarding multiing, so here's the gist of it.

From the rules:
Puppet Multi-ing: Using an alternate nation (a puppet) to evade or break rules, and 'protect' your primary nation from repercussions, is not permitted. Egregious rulebreaking will also affect the puppetmaster. In Roleplay, when someone uses their other nations in wars to give themselves an advantage. Not against the game rules, but very likely to tick people off.

So, let's see how you can use them productively. First of all, I use them for the following reasons:
1. Economy & Business.

It would be good to use them for this purpose, providing you don't interact too much with your primary nation (I use multiple nations in the same thread, but for various companies and the like). If you must use them in the same thread, be careful, don't use them to spam your company, or to artificially boost a thread.
Using them as supporting characters is the best way to do this. It is not supporting your nation or astroturfing, as far as I know.

2. Participating in different wars
You can use one country for one war, another for a different, but never use them in the same war! (As far as I know, this is bad form, and cheating too. I myself haven't done it, but would not do this in a war RP anyway!)

3. Factbooks
Some nations you can use purely for writing geographical factbooks, even if they are otherwise "inactive".

One final bit of advice... use your main account for General, and the multiple/alternate ones for the reasons suggested above.

BBCode trick
If you wish to compare your nation to a real-life one, or just state it's an NS-world equivalent of it, use this code:
Code: Select all
Astholm[sup](United Kingdom)[/sup]
[nation]Astholm[/nation][sup](United Kingdom)[/sup]

which produces:
Astholm(United Kingdom)
Astholm(United Kingdom)

You can also use this if you want to denote it's a territory of your main nation, for instance, or an enclave/exclave. This is a little-used trick, but worth it on here.

This is an unofficial guide, just trying to be helpful!
:)

Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why was this guide created?
It was done to try and make things simpler, and because the moderators have not yet, as far as I know, written an official guide on it, the only rule being about this is that you can use puppets, but not how you use them.
2. What is a "functional" puppet?
This is similar to a functional or minor character in literature; it's used simply to make a storefront more active. However, if you need to use some in a roleplay other than Global Economics & Trade, ask the thread starter about this. Factbooks - best place for experimenting with functional puppets since you can write about the nation too.

Other questions will come soon... ask on this thread and I'll answer.
Always register all of them with the same email address if you forget your password, this is also for accountability reasons too. This is UNLESS you have an account shared with another player, which apparently, is not forbidden by the rules.
(Colour is purple/dark blue to distinguish from official moderator code).

Finally, never use them for any forbidden uses, like spamming, vote-rigging or annoying other players, or you may become a DoS - deleteonsight - nation, which we don't want to happen, do we?
Last edited by Astholm on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:10 am, edited 9 times in total.
[spoiler=About Me]Based on the United Kingdom, but enlarged version with alternate history.
On IIWiki
I have multiple puppets here; only a select few are used to represent the continent of Astholm; others used represent Westholme, and do not artificially boost my nation's statistics.Previously i used puppets with nation names that did not identify as Astholm (e.g. Australis Australia; now all new puppets use ASTHLM, NORTHLM, SOUTHLM, WESTHLM (HLM denoting The Holmes.
NOTE: Other uses of Astholm here have a different continuity and refer to work created by the user Astholm, not the nation

Astholm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:30 am

OK, so adding more to this primer:
With regard to 1. use multiple nations in trading threads, even use them to create links between nations, but never trade with your own alternate nation (euphemism for sockpuppet!) only trade with your alternate nations to provide a realistic lifelike context to the action.

This has almost worked for me in the Van Luxemburg-created threads, and the creator of those threads is excellent - he is an absolute legend around here, and the guy to talk to for how to create a storefront, but that's best left to another thread.

I use multinations in trading threads, not to try and make my nation/region look more powerful than it really is - don't go there with that - but as functional characters to provide lifelike action, and that's the best way to go in trading threads in Global Economics and Trade forums.

Even if the nations' characters share the same opinions as your primary nation, don't worry, just RP as lifelike as you can.

I have several RP automobile companies on here, and sometimes multiple ones from one nation.

Any questions - post here!

(Edited to make point clearer).
Last edited by Astholm on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[spoiler=About Me]Based on the United Kingdom, but enlarged version with alternate history.
On IIWiki
I have multiple puppets here; only a select few are used to represent the continent of Astholm; others used represent Westholme, and do not artificially boost my nation's statistics.Previously i used puppets with nation names that did not identify as Astholm (e.g. Australis Australia; now all new puppets use ASTHLM, NORTHLM, SOUTHLM, WESTHLM (HLM denoting The Holmes.
NOTE: Other uses of Astholm here have a different continuity and refer to work created by the user Astholm, not the nation

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:45 am

Astholm wrote:Any questions - post here!

I know this has been pinned, which means that a moderator thinks its important, but don't you think it'd be better suited in an RP forum, rather than the Gameplay forum, since your posts refer almost exclusively to the use of multiple nations when RPing?

Astholm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:24 am

However, this does affect gameplay too, if people have questions...
On IIWiki

Dyr Nasad
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyr Nasad » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:30 pm

Perhaps you can include puppets that are made to be active in other regions or something about WA switchers? (first two Gameplay uses of puppets I thought of)

Stash Kroh
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Stash Kroh » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:20 pm

Also some use a puppet in the WA instead of their main nation to avoid the stat changes from passing resolutions, or other reasons....
Ambassador Adelinda Gliemann
The Clockwork Forge of Stash Kroh
WA Security Council Liaison

Rigbyland
Envoy

Founded: Aug 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rigbyland » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:01 pm

You may want to include multing in Sporting Event RPs. I don't participate in them often, and rarely even visit that sub-forum, but I know I would be angry if someone flooded the roster with their puppets, and I doubt I'm the only one...
Rigbyland Factbook (Work In Progress)

Territories:
Lennon McCartney

Zwangzug
Issues Editor

Founded: Oct 19, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zwangzug » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:46 pm

Different Sports Roleplaying competitions have different policies. In the World Cup, for instance, users can enter one puppet besides their main nation; they need to explicitly identify puppets at signup. Usually, people will enter at most two nations to any given competition (though there aren't always hard-and-fast rules, that's usually how it works out).
Factbook
IRC humor, (self-referential)
My issues
...using the lens of athletics to illustrate national culture, provide humor, interweave international affairs, and even incorporate mathematical theory...
WARNING: by construing meaning from this sequence of symbols, you have given implicit consent to the theory that words have noncircular semantic value and can be used to encode information about an external universe. Proceed with caution.

Almajoya
Minister

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Almajoya » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:49 pm

Tbh, I've never heard of you, so I'm not sure how much authority you have on the subject. Also, I feel that you've simply glossed over puppeteering, which is an art in itself.

Snowy Egrets
Attaché

Founded: May 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Snowy Egrets » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:49 pm

Almajoya wrote:Tbh, I've never heard of you, so I'm not sure how much authority you have on the subject. Also, I feel that you've simply glossed over puppeteering, which is an art in itself.

I agree with this incredibly smart and talented poster.
The Fanboyists wrote:Holy shit! Is that Hugh Laurie?

The Fanboyists wrote:"Such a violent little bird. But, he is a Cardinal. Got all sorts of Inquisitions to run, I'd imagine. Not that anyone would expect that."

Almajoya
Minister

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Almajoya » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:50 pm

Snowy Egrets wrote:
Almajoya wrote:Tbh, I've never heard of you, so I'm not sure how much authority you have on the subject. Also, I feel that you've simply glossed over puppeteering, which is an art in itself.

I agree with this incredibly smart and talented poster.

See? Even the egret thinks I'm right. ;)

The Valepian Lands
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Valepian Lands » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:07 am

Could you have 2 puppet that you own go to war with each other? With people helping shaping the outcome?
RUN FOR AN EMBASSY!
FACTBOOK (!Out of Date!)
DEFCON: [5][4][3][2][1]
|Economic Stats|

The Tofu Islands wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:We should call it

NSG.

Only if it’s discovered that it’s inhabited by trolls.

Crabulon
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Crabulon » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:17 am

The Valepian Lands wrote:Could you have 2 puppet that you own go to war with each other? With people helping shaping the outcome?

Don't think so, think thats referred to as "puppetwank"

The Fedral Union
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:23 am

Crabulon wrote:
The Valepian Lands wrote:Could you have 2 puppet that you own go to war with each other? With people helping shaping the outcome?

Actually its not puppet wank, it would be wank if you were using said puppets to boost either their population or military might. How ever having them fight one another is not wank in and of itself , I have seen plenty of people rp as two factions in a war, they could easily be two puppets fighting one another. As long as they are not on the same side its fine.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

The Valepian Lands
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Valepian Lands » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:24 am

The Fedral Union wrote:
Crabulon wrote:

Actually its not puppet wank, it would be wank if you were using said puppets to boost either their population or military might. How ever having them fight one another is not wank in and of itself , I have seen plenty of people rp as two factions in a war, they could easily be two puppets fighting one another. As long as they are not on the same side its fine.

Glad that could be cleared up.

Thanks.
RUN FOR AN EMBASSY!
FACTBOOK (!Out of Date!)
DEFCON: [5][4][3][2][1]
|Economic Stats|

The Tofu Islands wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:We should call it

NSG.

Only if it’s discovered that it’s inhabited by trolls.

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:26 am

Almajoya is right; your topics focus largely on puppeteering in an RPing sense, but I've almost never seen an RP post from you. Perhaps its just bad coincidence, but I can't measure the legitimacy of someone's take on a subject as large, semi-controversial and complex as puppeteering, and even then the essay you provided isn't really even an essay; there's no unifying thesis, just 'puppeteering'. It's more of a guide than an essay.

But, a few particular notes that I believe you should understand; first of all, Economics and Business in terms of puppeteering can be used in the manner of a separate entity in terms of a corporation and a nation, given that the amount of revenue produced by a corporation is only partially taxed by a country, meaning it never actually gives that big of a benefit for one corporation to assist a nation. It's also normal for many nation-centric corporations to function independently; the restraining factor is the understanding of liberal economics and corporate economics - the invisible will outright desist nations from having corporations that help the country too much. Though this point, I will admit, is slightly moot with the fact that almost nobody practices this anymore, since its too troublesome to do such a thing, but its very helpful for immediate distinction. Blackhelm Confederacy's Griffencrest Corporation is one such example, with the only exception in his case that he uses one account, more than often likely for simplicity. And yet people still mistake Griffencrest for being Blackhelm.

Wars that carry puppets are certainly acceptable within given bounds. When in a war, especially if the nation in question is on the losing side, it is realistic to have the nation split into factions that will vie for power within the ensuing chaos. Alot of older RPers that do not hang around anymore I remember do this alot for the sake of identification and realism. Splitting up the nation into factions make the legitimacy of the conflict much more apparent, especially when a player is restarting their nations back in the day. Now people just retcon like mad.

Now, I'm not saying that this guide isn't helpful, it just needs a bit more research. I suggest polishing up on the writing and work a bit more on building up the concepts and rules you've already considered, and then see how it works from there.

Allemande
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Using multiple nations productively [ESSAY]

Postby Allemande » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:57 am

The Fedral Union wrote:
Crabulon wrote:

This.

Sometimes you want a war to start in a particular way, and then bring your main (or even another puppet) in when the story is "set". There is no sleight of hand here, no attempt to take advantage of anybody, just the intention to lay the groundwork for a good story. There's nothing wrong with it at all. As a matter of fact, I know of a couple of current story lines that are being moved along by precisely this mechanism.

Another use of puppets that I've seen - one that falls outside this scenario - is for two nations that are in massive alliances to fight a war against each other for fun or practice without triggering a larger conflict (sort of a proxy war).

As for never using puppets on the same side, I disagree. Allemande has an economic and political interest in some of its puppets, some of which were even created as a consequence of Allemande's past wars (for example, the Island of Hyskos emerged as a result of the Great Homophobe War). Since Allemande helped these countries win their independence, it is absurd to think that we would simply leave them in the lurch if invaded; it is equally absurd to expect that their own forces would not fight to defend their homeland while Allemanders died for their sake.

My solution to this is what I call "Allemande's Law of Safe Puppeteering":

Thus, in the case of Allemande - a nation of 6.126 billion (as of today) - defending the Island of Hyskos - a nation of 240 million (as of today) - were I to find myself in a situation where both needed to fight on the same side (such as in an effort to repel yet another Tezdrian invasion), I would play Hyskos as a nation of 240 million (their necks are on the line, so all of their forces would be used) and Allemande as a nation of 5.886 billion (240 million less than its actual total) so that my effective power did not exceed that of Allemande alone.

This self-imposed rule prevents the biggest abuse of puppeteering - mainly, attempts by people to get around the fact that another nation is bigger than they are by trying to match their strength with an army of puppets. You can bring all your puppets along to a general war, but you can't combine their effective strengths when you do.

Third Spanish States
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Spanish States » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:41 pm

I have one puppet I actively RP with for each tech level, except for pre 1800s Past Tech. It helps reducing the confusion compared to just using the same NS for going IN SPACE! for WW1 tech stuff, Modern Tech, etc.

Other than that, I don't see what's the point of using puppets besides wanking. "Shadow boxing" isn't fun either, and you don't need to create puppet NSes for every colony or puppet state you have, you can RP them through the NS that really controls them In-character.
Last edited by Third Spanish States on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PMT Factbook.
Honoro Sacrificium e Libertas : The Mindset, Jaredcohenia, New-Lexington, Binaria, Varejao, Hogsweat, Franberry, ChevyRocks, Izistan, Ulanpataar, North-Point, The Mindset, Vault 10, Rosbaningrad, Sharfghotten, Tyrandis, South Sharfgotten, Jeuna, Satirius, Zukariaa, Midlauthia et New Nicksyllvania.
Izistan wrote:Third Spanish States is a well known far-right activist so his attempts at humor can only be expected.

Umbagar wrote:%*$#! I put a crack in my screen thanks to the awesome "place fist here" sign. >:(

Lhazastan wrote:if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

Saxon Germany wrote:[...]you're practically a professional troll, TSS.[...]

The Naacal
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 23, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Naacal » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:47 pm

Main reason I have multiple nations is for tech reasons. Naacal for MT (bordering on PMT), and Eternal Night for FT.

Yekrut
Envoy

Founded: Mar 01, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Using multiple nations productively [ESSAY]

Postby Yekrut » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:01 pm

This thread is a good example of what can happen when you don’t create factional puppets.

Fortunately, the person who created Peresug was willing to follow the OP’s vision of where the thread was supposed to go. But I’ve seen it play out differently, so the safer thing to do in this sort of situation is to create a puppet for each faction.

To say: “All you need is one puppet per milieu,” assumes too much about how people RP. Suppose you wanted the ability to RP in MT as either a terrorist organisation or a legitimate nation (and I'm not talking here about your legitimate nation having a terrorist “front”; I'm talking about two separate RP personae). It would obviously be a bad idea to try and do both with the same account (try explaining that it wasn’t your legitimate nation that just cooked off that stolen nuke, I dare you), so here’s a case of two puppets allowing you more flexibility in play than just one.

Think of it like World of Warcraft: You can have 10 characters on a server. Each one is a different character, and when you log in, you can choose the one you want to play. There’s nothing wrong with doing that here, so long as you don’t try to say that your 10 Level 8 characters all somehow add up to a single Level 80...

Astholm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:23 am

I use multiple nation puppets in the Van Luxemburg-created threads, purely to provide a lifelike context to the action, if nothing else. They don't all agree with one another.
On IIWiki

Astholm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:26 am

Jenrak wrote:Almajoya is right; your topics focus largely on puppeteering in an RPing sense, but I've almost never seen an RP post from you. Perhaps its just bad coincidence, but I can't measure the legitimacy of someone's take on a subject as large, semi-controversial and complex as puppeteering, and even then the essay you provided isn't really even an essay; there's no unifying thesis, just 'puppeteering'. It's more of a guide than an essay.

But, a few particular notes that I believe you should understand; first of all, Economics and Business in terms of puppeteering can be used in the manner of a separate entity in terms of a corporation and a nation, given that the amount of revenue produced by a corporation is only partially taxed by a country, meaning it never actually gives that big of a benefit for one corporation to assist a nation. It's also normal for many nation-centric corporations to function independently; the restraining factor is the understanding of liberal economics and corporate economics - the invisible will outright desist nations from having corporations that help the country too much. Though this point, I will admit, is slightly moot with the fact that almost nobody practices this anymore, since its too troublesome to do such a thing, but its very helpful for immediate distinction. Blackhelm Confederacy's Griffencrest Corporation is one such example, with the only exception in his case that he uses one account, more than often likely for simplicity. And yet people still mistake Griffencrest for being Blackhelm.

Wars that carry puppets are certainly acceptable within given bounds. When in a war, especially if the nation in question is on the losing side, it is realistic to have the nation split into factions that will vie for power within the ensuing chaos. Alot of older RPers that do not hang around anymore I remember do this alot for the sake of identification and realism. Splitting up the nation into factions make the legitimacy of the conflict much more apparent, especially when a player is restarting their nations back in the day. Now people just retcon like mad.

Now, I'm not saying that this guide isn't helpful, it just needs a bit more research. I suggest polishing up on the writing and work a bit more on building up the concepts and rules you've already considered, and then see how it works from there.

I actually have done a few RP posts, with puppets, but they're generally confined to the Global Economics & Trade forum, in terms of RP. Thank you for the advice, it was a rough guide anyway, so anything I missed out should be added.

I can see your point on this being a guide, so I will change the thread title to suit this.
On IIWiki

Ulixar
Secretary

Founded: Oct 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulixar » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:56 pm

I have two other nations used for different styles. This one is my dictatorship, another is very free, another is in the middle.

The Forsaken Earth
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Forsaken Earth » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:08 pm

Are we allowed to use different nations to see how a certain way of building your nation works :?: Kaiarra is my main (and considerably better than this one), I use this one as an alt to see how a psychotic, corrupt dictator-ship with too many laws turns out.

Astholm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:56 pm

I tend to use mine to roleplay different styles of national motoring and cross-border culture.
On IIWiki

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives