NATION

PASSWORD

King Ramsay of San Giosue has Died.

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
San Giosue
Secretary

Founded: Jul 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

King Ramsay of San Giosue has Died.

Postby San Giosue » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:24 pm

News report - August 21st 2012 (Galactic Standard Calendar)

Ramsay I, High King of San Giosue has died. He was 89 years old. The King is believed to have collapsed from exhaustion yesterday, following his annual pilgrimage around the battlefields of the 'War of the San Giosue Succession'. He died in hospital hours later, surrounded by his surviving family.

Amongst those with him in his final hours were his wife, Queen Electra (age 85), his eldest surviving son Prince Rodrigo (age 50) and Rodrigo's twin children; Prince Tristan and Princess Flora (both age 20). In addition the King's younger sister, the former Supreme Empress of San Giosue and First Lady of Denmarlandia, Helena Maria (age 83) arrived moments after his death.

King Ramsay is best remembered for his heroic efforts in overthrowing the tyranical military government of the short lived 'Republic of San Giosue' at the climax of the 'War of the San Giosue Succession'. In the years following the war he spearheaded a campaign of reconstruction and ushered in an era of peace to rival San Giosue's golden era, under his grandfather King Joshua.

The King's death comes in the midst of ongoing constitutional reforms that will see San Giosue transform from a territorial Empire into a confederation of autonomous Kingdoms. Formerly known as 'The Planetary Kingdom of San Giosue and the Incorporated Territories', our country has recently been renamed 'The Serene Kingdom of San Giosue' in an effort to reflect our new constitution.

The day of the King's death saw the inauguration of these changes, including our new flag, which has already been lowered to half mast.

Now San Giosue turns its attention to the succession, something many have dreaded for years. Some still have memories of the last succession and the terrible conflict it brought with it.

San Giosue is proud of its long history as an elective monarchy. There is no direct succession to the throne. Instead candidates are drawn from the wider Royal Family. In past times the election was presided over by other nations, each giving a candidate their support, though ultimately the decision rests with the people of San Giosue in a vote of simple democratic majority. The practice of foreign intervention ended as a result of the succession war, however San Giosueians, as an internationally minded people, still think highly of foreign opinion.

In spite of many royal family members being eligable for candidacy, only three have come forward as it is constitutionally mandatory for at least three candidates to present themselves.

The candidates are as follows:

- Prince Rodrigo - age 50
Eldest surviving son of King Ramsay, Rodrigo is an intensely private man who supported his late majesty a great deal in his final years, and on a few occasions was almost made Regent when his father's health was becoming a concern. Insiders have said that Rodrigo has no taste for public appearances and prefers to help his country under a low profile. It is believed that Rodrigo has little ambition in being King and would only become sovereign if the people called for it. Presently he is enjoying his married life, having wed his second wife Tulia Lacese just under two years ago. Together they have a 9 month old baby, the Princess Lucrezia.

- Prince Tristan - age 20
Tristan is the only son of Prince Rodrigo and is the twin of Princess Flora, as well as older half brother to Princess Lucrezia. Unlike his father, Tristan is no stranger to the public eye. In addition to being a prince, Tristan is an internationally famous hair stylist and fashion expert. He is currently single but has had many well publicised romances, most recently with oscar award winning actor George Massingbird. Much like his father, Tristan has no ambition in taking the throne and has admitted to stepping forward merely as a constitutional duty.

- Princess Flora - age 20
Flora is immensely popular with the people of San Giosue and has been tipped by pundits as most likely to succeed her grandfather. She is close to her family, in particular to her brother Tristan, having made many catwalk appearances in his numerous fashion expo's. In addition to her modelling career, Flora is extremely gifted on an intellectual level, having attended university at age 13. She currently holds two doctorates, one in political sciences and the other in applied robotics. Several years ago her grandfather King Ramsay sent Princess Flora on a diplomatic mission to Maxtopia. Whilst there she won over the hearts of the people and inspired a revolution that overthrew the country's authoritarian government, restoring democracy (at least for a time). Despite overstepping her role as a diplomat, she was honoured as a hero back home. If Flora becomes Queen she will be the first legitimate female head of state in San Giosue's history, and the first woman in that position since the tyranical rule of General Ophelia Valdeira in the brief 'Republican Era' at the end of the succession war.
San Giosue: A planetary nation founded on the principles of strong civil and democratic rights, furthering scientific and technological research, expanding the limits of high culture, state atheism, and the belief in a parliamentary constitutional monarchy.

Cranaeia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cranaeia » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:33 pm

The Empire of Cranaeia would like to support princess Flora as High Queen of San Giosue

Iluminaria
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Iluminaria » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:51 pm

"We must express, of course, our condolences to the people of San Giosue on the loss of their monarch," Lord Regent Harad ven Tarran said. "As to their succession, well, they are to be commended for such a forward-thinking system - if we had had such a thing in Iluminaria as an elective monarchy I could retire! Ha! Their choice of monarch must of course be their own, but they should consider, of course, who would be most effective in that role - I do not believe one can rule a nation without having at least a little enthusiasm for doing so ...

"... But I begin to feel a little weary of this meeting myself. Conclude our business, please, Ministers - I think I shall retire for the night."
Dark times in Iluminaria
Iluminaria is currently ruled by Lady Ara Sfiorenza Anchakatna ven Severn, Knight-Commander of the Iluminarian Order of Sentinel Knights, as part of the National Emergency Temporary Administration.

The Gemstone Triad
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Gemstone Triad » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:40 pm

• Vilhelmo la Unua, Emperor/Grand Duke on the Emerald Throne of the Empire of the Gemstone Triad and the Grand Duchy of the Gemstone Belt,
  • Jeremio la Unua, Emperor/Grand Duke on the Sapphire Throne of the Empire of the Gemstone Triad and the Grand Duchy of the Gemstone Belt,
  • Kristoforo la Unua, Emperor/Grand Duke on the Ruby Throne of the Empire of the Gemstone Triad and the Grand Duchy of the Gemstone Belt,
TO: The Royal Family and the People of San Giosue

We and the Gemstone Houses (and speaking on behalf of our peoples) would like to extend our condolences to the San Giosuan royal family and citizens on the passing of King Ramsay. Lord Aleksandro Ludoviko Antono de Nortaj Montetoj will represent the Gemstones at King Ramsay's funeral.

We typically do not interfere with the selection of leaders of other nations but, in honoring the traditions of San Giosue, we will make an exception in this instance. The members of the Triad and the senior members of the Emerald, Sapphire, and Ruby Houses believe that Prince Rodrigo and Princess Flora would both make excellent monarchs. Those who spoke in favor of Prince Rodrigo count his experience, lack of desire for the post, and apparent sense of duty in his favor. Those who spoke in favor of Princess Flora count her intelligence, education, popularity, and the presumed long term stability that her age would provide as points in her favor. Our royals had very little support for Prince Tristan in our informal discussions since it appears to us that he has shaped his life in a direction other than reigning and would appear to be a less effective leader than the other two candidates.

In any case, the Triad looks forward to working with the next monarch of San Giosue.

Sincerely,

Vilhelmo la Unua, Jeremio la Unua, and Kristoforo la Unua,
The Gemstone Triad

---
via the Office of Johano de Smeraldadomo
Prince in the Emerald House,
5th Heir to the Emerald Throne,
Minister of External Affairs for the Empire of the Gemstone Triad,
Director of External Affairs for the Grand Duchy of the Gemstone Belt
---
EDIT: modified funeral representative's name
Last edited by The Gemstone Triad on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Empire of the Gemstone Triad, ruled by Vilhelmo I of the Emerald Throne, Jeremio I of the Sappire Throne, and Kristoforo I of the Ruby Throne

and

The Grand Duchy of the Gemstone Belt, ruled by Vilhelmo I of the Emerald Throne, Jeremio I of the Sappire Throne, and Kristoforo I of the Ruby Throne

San Giosue
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Breaking News: The People Have Chosen

Postby San Giosue » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:03 am

*BREAKING NEWS*

"The results are in, the votes are counted and verified. The people of San Giosue have voted as thus:

Candidate Prince Rodrigo - 8%

Candidate Prince Tristan - 3%

Candidate Princess Flora - 89% -Winner-

Princess Flora has been elected to succeed King Ramsay as monarch of San Giosue.

Long live Queen Flora!

The new High Queen Flora will be making her succession address in due course.

We here in San Giosue cannot help but express such joy at the news of such a popular and peaceful succession, a testament perhaps to King Ramsay's life's work and perhaps even greater than that our people's love of peace."

- Gerard Antweiler, San Giosue Broadcasting Network, News Department.
San Giosue: A planetary nation founded on the principles of strong civil and democratic rights, furthering scientific and technological research, expanding the limits of high culture, state atheism, and the belief in a parliamentary constitutional monarchy.

Greater Herzegovina
Attaché

Founded: Aug 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Herzegovina » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:35 am

TO: The Serene Kingdom of San Giosue

Queen Catherine Cosacichc and King Stjepan Kotromanouic, monarchs od Greater Herzegovina would like to congratulate the newly elected queen.
''We hope our nations will continue to keep friendly relations''.
Last edited by Greater Herzegovina on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:36 am

Press Conference Room
Mangana Palace, Constantinopolis
The Empire of New Chalcedon

"...and so it is with mingled sorrow and joy that We note the passage of Our cousin, the late King Ramsay of San Giosue, into the loving arms of the Divine. Sorrow for the world that his passage has left immeasurably poorer, joy for his immortal soul, which We are certain has merited the highest accolades of the Seat of Judgement above." The speaker at the podium was a short, middle-aged and matronly woman, the Empress of New Chalcedon, Eirena Doukaina-Palaiologina.

"On the matter of the succession of San Giosue, We wish to make it clear that the succession belongs - appropriately - to the established political processes of that nation, and thus not subject to outside interference. Having said that, We believe that the superlative qualities of the Princess Flora are evident to any unbiased observer, and wish to express on a personal level Our desire for her accession to the throne of San Giosue."

Taking a sip of water from the glass placed in arm's reach, the Empress continued: "As all present know, Our own accession to the throne was far from peaceful, and We have long suspected that some of Our late brother's supporters were motivated by unsureness as to the fitness of women to sit the throne, despite the fact that We are the ninth Empress-Regnant of the Empire. How much steeper, then, is the slope that Princess Flora must climb? The only advice We can offer Her Highness is this: be yourself, and walk a fine line. People will not think a feminine person fit to rule, yet they will bridle at an aggressive or hard-voiced woman. We hope, young cousin, that you will walk this line as successfully as We have, all these years."

"To the people of San Giosue, We ask that you put aside gender in your considerations of fitness for rulership, and take a clear-eyed, objective examination of all candidates for the throne prior to making your decisions on who to elevate to it."

"To conclude, We wish to inform the press that the Imperial Ambassador to Flouris will indeed be attending His Majesty's funeral as well as the investiture of the new monarch, as a mark of respect to both the late King, and to the Serene Kingdom of San Giosue. Good day, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Press."

With this, the Empress stepped down from the podium, nodded slightly to the room, and exited to the left.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

San Giosue
Secretary

Ex-Nation

The Queen's Speech

Postby San Giosue » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:29 am

Commentator:

"All is quiet in the 'Field of the Founding Father' in Flouris as the new High Queen, Flora the first, walks to the royal podium. As you can see by the Queen's side, her father Prince Rodrigo and her brother Prince Tristan. A proud day for both of them as her majesty sets out on her life long duty. No doubt this is a day that will be one of joy in the midst of sadness. The Queen is about to take the stand"

*Thunderous applause*

Queen Flora:

" Just over a century and a half has passed since my Great Great Grandfather, Joshua, our founding father, accepted the people's request that he become San Giosue's first King. It was here some six decades ago that my Grandfather, the late King, honoured those who fell in the war. Today I stand here with some pretty big shoes to fill. The duty that you have bestowed on me is not solemn, but a joyful one that I gladly accept. I pledge to you my dear citizens that I shall dedicate my entire life to your service and shall strive to live up to the example left by my ancestors. Whilst I reign as High Queen the virtues of Liberty, democracy and individual rights, the virtues this country was built on, shall be upheld and our people will prosper!

I would like to thank everyone who has sent their condolences. My grandfather was lucky to have such friends and San Giosue such allies. I welcome all of you to his memorial service. I hope that in the coming years we can maintain those friendships and foster greater peace in the international community. We shall never again engage in a war of conquest, something that six decades ago nearly wiped out our country and our neighbours. As Queen I shall continue my grandfather's mandate that San Giosue shall fight only in a righteous cause. Where our people are threatened, we will fight. Wherever injustice and suffering are set upon opressed people by their governments, we shall fight. In Liberty's name we shall fight!"

*as Queen Flora steps down from the podium the crowd stands to attention for the national anthem of San Giosue, Giacomo Puccini's "Nessun Dorma"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdTBml4oOZ8

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates