NATION

PASSWORD

Eastern Religions Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What religion are you?

Member of the Indian Religions excluding Buddhism (Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism)
7%
Buddhism
10%
Islam
7%
Eastern Orthodox Church and offshoots.
6%
Chinese folk religion
4%
Shinto/Shinto-Buddhism
1%
Other religion
28%
Atheism/Agnosticism.
36%

Total votes : 134

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Eastern Religions Thread

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:33 pm

So a while ago, I had a general thread on Hindus, Buddhists and Muslims. I decided to revive that, but with a difference. Now we'll discuss 'Eastern' religions in general.

I am a Hindu agnostic from a Vaishnavist family, meaning we consider Vishnu and his avatars the Big Good instead of Shiva. I went from being a hardcore Hindu to an atheist to a Hindu again, but 'softcore'. The agnostic is an add-on that I don't particularly know if God exists. I'm an agnostic theist as I like to believe it does, but I know I can't be completely sure.

So here people can discuss Eastern religions. Atheists and Christians are welcome to debate as well.
Last edited by Nightkill the Emperor on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Augustus Este
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Augustus Este » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Do eastern religions get mixed up in politics as much as western religions do?

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:37 pm

Augustus Este wrote:Do eastern religions get mixed up in politics as much as western religions do?

You have no idea.

There were riots over Manmohan Singh becoming the PM, because he was a Sikh.

And this.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Nicholistania
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nicholistania » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:39 pm

I'm one that is very interested in eastern religions. I'm currently agnostic. Also I have a question about reincarnation. Could you control what you are reincarnated into per say?

The Congregationists
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Congregationists » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:40 pm

Where's Taoism?

I'm not so much a religious as a philosophical Taoist.
•Criticism of sentimental love, marriage, sex, religion, and rituals.
•Valuing reason over emotion and imagination
•Ironic, indirect, and impersonal (objective) representation of ideas.
•Uncompromising criticism of romantic illusions.
•Advocacy of pragmatism and disapproval of idealism and ideology.
•Especially vehement opposition to neo-liberalism, social democracy, communism, libertarianism and feminism.
•Satirisation of irrational and whimsical attitudes of the so-called creative class.
•Criticism of social, political, cultural, and moral customs and manners of the contemporary society.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:40 pm

Nicholistania wrote:I'm one that is very interested in eastern religions. I'm currently agnostic. Also I have a question about reincarnation. Could you control what you are reincarnated into per say?

Not precisely. You can accumulate good karma or bad karma, which affects what you end up reincarnated as.

There are monks who claim to be capable of doing so and knowing who you were in a past life however.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:41 pm

The Congregationists wrote:Where's Taoism?

Where's Taoism? Probably in China.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Aeronos
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeronos » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:48 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
The Congregationists wrote:Where's Taoism?

Where's Taoism? Probably in China.

Taoism is Japanese isn't it? China is predominantly Buddhist last I checked...

I have to say, though an atheist, I always found Buddhism somewhat compelling as a humanist philosophy, and Hinduism as just a generally awesome religion.
My Political Compass
Economic: Left/Right (2.18)
Social: Libertarian/Authoritarian (-9.71)

Note: I am female, so please get the pronoun right!

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Aeronos wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Where's Taoism? Probably in China.

I have to say, though an atheist, I always found Buddhism somewhat compelling as a humanist philosophy, and Hinduism as just a generally awesome religion.

China is predominately atheist. And Taoism is not a religion as Westerners know it. It is a religion, but it is more of a philosophy. Taoist influences have left themselves all over China, but one can practice Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism at the same time.

And damn right us Hindus are awesome. 8)
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:56 pm

Aeronos wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Where's Taoism? Probably in China.

Heh, no, Taoism is out of China. Lao Tzu was Chinese. Buddies with Confucius.

I've always had a great deal of respect for Shinto. It's an animistic religion that's existed in a modern society all the way up to today.

Augustus Este wrote:Do eastern religions get mixed up in politics as much as western religions do?

Well, the caste system in India is right out of Hindu philosophy. And I believe China and other regions still talk about Buddhism on occasion in politics. Confucianism has had an enormous influence all over the east. And Shinto was used in similar ways Islam is today in the Middle East during World War II in Japan. But is it used as an excuse to harbor archaic ideas that explicitly limit civil rights and entitle people to ignore established scientific theories? Not really.
Last edited by 1000 Cats on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your friendly neighborhood zoophile. I'm here to answer questions. Also, we have a region: Zoo!

Norstal wrote:You are a hatiater: one who radiates hate.

Meryuma wrote:No one is more of a cat person than 1000 Cats!

FST wrote:Any sexual desires which can be satiated within a healthy and consensual way should be freed from shame. Bizarre kinks and fetishes are acceptable and nothing to be ashamed of as long as they are acted out in a context where everyone consents and no one is hurt.
Factbook/Q&A | RP | Conlang | Short Story

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:01 pm

1000 Cats wrote:
Aeronos wrote:Taoism is Japanese isn't it? China is predominantly Buddhist last I checked...

Heh, no, Taoism is out of China. Lao Tzu was Chinese. Buddies with Confucius.

I've always had a great deal of respect for Shinto. It's an animistic religion that's existed in a modern society all the way up to today.

Well, the caste system in India is right out of Hindu philosophy. And I believe China and other regions still talk about Buddhism on occasion in politics. Confucianism has had an enormous influence all over the east. And Shinto was used in similar ways Islam is today in the Middle East during World War II in Japan. But is it used as an excuse to harbor archaic ideas that explicitly limit civil rights and entitle people to ignore established scientific theories? Not really.

1. I actually know little to nothing about Shinto, to be honest.
2. Oh trust me, it's used so often for just that purpose. So bloody often.
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:06 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
1000 Cats wrote:Heh, no, Taoism is out of China. Lao Tzu was Chinese. Buddies with Confucius.

1. I actually know little to nothing about Shinto, to be honest.
2. Oh trust me, it's used so often for just that purpose. So bloody often.

In India, I presume? I'd believe that, and I guess I should have assumed it; I just haven't heard much about it. I'm more familiar with China, South Korea, and (mostly) Japan's interactions between religion and politics.

There isn't a whole lot to know about Shinto other than its history. You can get to know the more prominent kami, some of the philosophy over the years, the various celebrations, but in the end it's an animistic folk religion, which makes it very flexible. Flexible enough that any shonen anime you pull out of a hat will somehow have something to do with it, and no one bats an eye. ;)
Your friendly neighborhood zoophile. I'm here to answer questions. Also, we have a region: Zoo!

Norstal wrote:You are a hatiater: one who radiates hate.

Meryuma wrote:No one is more of a cat person than 1000 Cats!

FST wrote:Any sexual desires which can be satiated within a healthy and consensual way should be freed from shame. Bizarre kinks and fetishes are acceptable and nothing to be ashamed of as long as they are acted out in a context where everyone consents and no one is hurt.
Factbook/Q&A | RP | Conlang | Short Story

The Congregationists
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Congregationists » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:56 pm

Yeah, Taoism was Chinese. Buddhism was more east Indian, but it found its way to China and Japan. Zen is Taoist influenced Buddhism, or so I've read. Compatability between Buddhism, Confuscism and Taoism is questionable.
•Criticism of sentimental love, marriage, sex, religion, and rituals.
•Valuing reason over emotion and imagination
•Ironic, indirect, and impersonal (objective) representation of ideas.
•Uncompromising criticism of romantic illusions.
•Advocacy of pragmatism and disapproval of idealism and ideology.
•Especially vehement opposition to neo-liberalism, social democracy, communism, libertarianism and feminism.
•Satirisation of irrational and whimsical attitudes of the so-called creative class.
•Criticism of social, political, cultural, and moral customs and manners of the contemporary society.

West Vandengaarde
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby West Vandengaarde » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Isn't Christianity technically Eastern, as well as Islam and Judaism, according to origin of the religions?
"Conscious of my own weakness, I can only seek fervently the guidance of the Ruler of the Universe, and, relying on His all-powerful aid, do my best to restore Union and peace to a suffering people, and to establish and guard their liberties and rights." - George B. McClellan

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:10 pm

I am an admirer of all religions. Hinduism fascinates me for its sheer variety of practices, ranging from polytheistic to monotheistic, legalist to free-sprited. Daoism seems to me to make philosophical sense. Shintoism is a pretty mild, innocent form of paganism (I don't use this word as a pejorative). Cofucianism strikes me as interesting, but although it involves practices, worldviews and philosophies, I don't consider it a religion.

I like to compare these religions to my own, to see what's similar and different, to see which practices I can try, and to just see how small the world really is. It, in a word, fascinates me.

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:14 pm

West Vandengaarde wrote:Isn't Christianity technically Eastern, as well as Islam and Judaism, according to origin of the religions?

According to strictly origin, they are Eastern. According to history and influence, they are Western. But according to modern spiritual principles, they are worldwide.

West Vandengaarde
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby West Vandengaarde » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:15 pm

The Truth and Light wrote:
West Vandengaarde wrote:Isn't Christianity technically Eastern, as well as Islam and Judaism, according to origin of the religions?

According to strictly origin, they are Eastern. According to history and influence, they are Western. But according to modern spiritual principles, they are worldwide.

So Israel is in the West now? Possibly in modern political terms, but not in geographical values...
"Conscious of my own weakness, I can only seek fervently the guidance of the Ruler of the Universe, and, relying on His all-powerful aid, do my best to restore Union and peace to a suffering people, and to establish and guard their liberties and rights." - George B. McClellan

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm not a member of any, but they're more awesome than our western shit.
Out of curiosity, in the East, does anyone knock on your door, invite themselves in and try to convert you?
(Sikh's FTW)
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:17 pm

West Vandengaarde wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:According to strictly origin, they are Eastern. According to history and influence, they are Western. But according to modern spiritual principles, they are worldwide.

So Israel is in the West now? Possibly in modern political terms, but not in geographical values...

Israel was not even Jewish until recently, mind you.

West Vandengaarde
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby West Vandengaarde » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:18 pm

West Vandengaarde wrote:So Israel is in the West now? Possibly in modern political terms, but not in geographical values...

Israel was not even Jewish until recently, mind you.

But it's where Christianity began. That's what I was getting at. And anyways, the African nations it began in aren't exactly "Western" either.

Salvarity
Senator

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Salvarity » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:20 pm

First person to vote Islam on Poll.
Praetor of the Empire of Mare Nostrum
World Assembly Delegate of the Empire of Mare Nostrum

King of the British Isles
Prime Minister of the British Isles
Defense Minister of the British Isles
Home Minister of the British Isles
Culture Minister of the British Isles
MP of Parliament for Northern Ireland
Co-Founder of the SDLP in the British Isles
Admiral of the Royal British Isles Navy
Marquess of Winchester

Minister of the Exterior in the Land of Kings and Emperors
Minister of the Interior in the Land of Kings and Emperors
Senator in the Imperial Senate
Field Marshal Lieutenant of the Imperial Army of the Land of Kings and Emperors
Baron of Nassau

Lance Corporal in the North Pacific Army

Merryman in the United Defenders League

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:27 pm

West Vandengaarde wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:Israel was not even Jewish until recently, mind you.

But it's where Christianity began. That's what I was getting at. And anyways, the African nations it began in aren't exactly "Western" either.

You missed the point. Christianity has been focused in Europe and its colonies for millenia.

West Vandengaarde
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby West Vandengaarde » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:29 pm

West Vandengaarde wrote:But it's where Christianity began. That's what I was getting at. And anyways, the African nations it began in aren't exactly "Western" either.

You missed the point. Christianity has been focused in Europe and its colonies for millenia.

That's completely irrelevant since it still exists in very old realms where it has retained a presence for even longer, and aside from that, its canon is Eastern.

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:33 pm

West Vandengaarde wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:You missed the point. Christianity has been focused in Europe and its colonies for millenia.

That's completely irrelevant since it still exists in very old realms where it has retained a presence for even longer, and aside from that, its canon is Eastern.

No it absolutely is not. Greek is a Western language, and furthermore the canon itself was put together in Rome.

You have to consider all the factors that go into the makeup of a religion. Christianity has been made into a Western religion after thousands of years of hogging by European peoples.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:39 pm

I have a few decorations like fat Budai (Not Buddha, some people think it is Buddha but it is actually a fat Chinese man who achieved enlightenment, some say it because he was fat and therefore rich and therefore happy to achieve enlightenment, though I think that goes against buddhist teachings so I say it was because he made himself ugly and therefore suffered. ) statues

I am Agnostic Atheist.
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General