NATION

PASSWORD

Alternate Vote in Britain

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Norfsex
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Alternate Vote in Britain

Postby Norfsex » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:42 pm

Being an American, I really can't how can anyone want to abandon the First Past the Post System.

Scientific socks
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Scientific socks » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:04 pm

Normally the first post is more than one line. Care to elaborate
One persons freedom is always at the expense of another. There are these dam laws in this country of mine preventing me from saying "hi" to my neighbour with a baseball bat. All I want to do is have my freedom of expression so he looses his freedom of movement.

TheKanadian Federation
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 27, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby TheKanadian Federation » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:06 pm

Scientific socks wrote:Normally the first post is more than one line. Care to elaborate

And is proof read before posting...
-----=====Official Correspondence: The Kanadian Federation=====-----

Beldonia
Senator

Founded: Jan 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:06 pm

Scientific socks wrote:Normally the first post is more than one line. Care to elaborate

What he said. This'll get locked if not edited with some detail.

Sarrowquand
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarrowquand » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:13 pm

I'm not sure that AV will change how Britain's political parties operate. Maybe it will though?

I like how the European elections are done and I'd like to see that applied to the national : Maybe there are some good reasons not to have that though, maybe not.

I think that ditching first past the post is only useful if it changes how politicians and political parties operate, maybe that would inject some optimism into the electorate/population.
Last edited by Sarrowquand on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katganistan wrote:Purpure argent bend
Sinister, with arms of gules
Y displayed in Or

Norfsex
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Norfsex » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:07 pm

Sarrowquand wrote:I'm not sure that AV will change how Britain's political parties operate. Maybe it will though?

I like how the European elections are done and I'd like to see that applied to the national : Maybe there are some good reasons not to have that though, maybe not.

I think that ditching first past the post is only useful if it changes how politicians and political parties operate, maybe that would inject some optimism into the electorate/population.

Well, I still think that a Two Party system is infinitely better than a multiple party system that the Alternative Vote System may encourage- it is far better to have to moderate parties that are able to follow through with the promises of their manifesto than to force them to create a coalition with the extreme of their ideology and force them to radicalize against the democratic will of the voters. In addition, I heard it said by several pundits, including Mr Cameron, that it is also unfair in that it allows voters of hopeless fringe parties to have a second vote in comparison with those who have voted for a mainstream party, which is unfair to the voters and undermining our core democratic principle: One man, one vote.

Forsakia
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Forsakia » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:56 am

Norfsex wrote:
Sarrowquand wrote:I'm not sure that AV will change how Britain's political parties operate. Maybe it will though?

Well, I still think that a Two Party system is infinitely better than a multiple party system that the Alternative Vote System may encourage- it is far better to have to moderate parties that are able to follow through with the promises of their manifesto than to force them to create a coalition with the extreme of their ideology and force them to radicalize against the democratic will of the voters. In addition, I heard it said by several pundits, including Mr Cameron, that it is also unfair in that it allows voters of hopeless fringe parties to have a second vote in comparison with those who have voted for a mainstream party, which is unfair to the voters and undermining our core democratic principle: One man, one vote.

So many things wrong here.

AV won't make a major difference to the number of parties. Compare Australia where they've had a form of AV and a two party system for 90 years.

That also takes out the coalition bit and also it's suggested candidates will be more moderate under AV to attract more second preferences from other candidates (that is somewhat disputed).

Those pundits (including Mr Cameron) are wrong, and either being disingenuous or idiots

AV is a what if system. You conditionally indicate where you'd like your vote to go 'if they can win'. So you rank your candidates and then the elimination takes place to work out who can win and what the situation is. And then you all get one vote at the end.

Or you can view it as one vote that transfers from one party to another as the elimination takes place, same deal really, it doesn't remove one man one vote.

Lastly the principle of one man one vote is not really a core principle of British democracy, it was only standardised as such in about 1945.
Member of Arch's fan club.

St George of England
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:30 am

In favour of AV. It's interesting to note the Tories, who oppose AV, get 47% of the seats of Parliament despite getting 36% of the vote, same with Labour. How is that fair?
The Angline-Guanxine Empire
Current Monarch: His Heavenly Guanxine The Ky Morris
Population: As NS Page
Current RP: Closure of the Paulianus Passage
The United Coven of the Otherworlds
Current Leader: Covenwoman Paige Thomas
Population: 312,000,000
Military Size: 4,000,000
New to NS? TG me if you have questions.

Rolamec
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:32 am

I have no idea what this means and in my American ignorance, I'll place a special emphasis on the word "alternative" connect it with "lifestyles" and assume this is about queers. Realizing this is the UK we are talking about, my logic is therefore undeniable.
Rolamec of New Earth
A Proud and Progressive Republican.
"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Economic Left/Right: 4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Rouge Pioneers
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rouge Pioneers » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:33 am

How come we have to vote on how to vote?

(I can't personally, as I am 14)

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:35 am

Norfsex wrote:Being an American, I really can't how can anyone want to abandon the First Past the Post System.

I accidentally verbs.

The Blood of 999 Goats
Envoy

Founded: Mar 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Blood of 999 Goats » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:37 am

Rolamec wrote:I have no idea what this means and in my American ignorance, I'll place a special emphasis on the word "alternative" connect it with "lifestyles" and assume this is about queers. Realizing this is the UK we are talking about, my logic is therefore undeniable.

I'd vote for you if you came to England
The Principality of The Blood of 999 Goats recognizes the Libyan National Council as the legitimate government of Libya. Add this to your sig, substituting your nation's name.

Whiskey Hill
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Whiskey Hill » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:46 am

Norfsex wrote:

First past the post and single member districts also ensure that those "voters of hopeless fringe parties" never get to take part in real democracy, where their voice will be heard in government. Multiple party systems allow them to be heard sometimes, even if it is as minor partners in coalitions. Just because they aren't Democrats or Republicans, or Labour or Conservatives, doesn't mean they shouldn't have a say in the actual governing of the nation once in a while.
Factbook & Embassy Thread

The Imperial Commonwealth League of Crowns-Member

Republicke
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Republicke » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:58 am

Should follow the Scottish model, I'm not sure why AV is even being talked about tbh.
Economic Left/Right: -6.00, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.85

"Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for truth."
- B. Disraeli

Bramborska wrote:Muscular liberalism? He took my gay stripper name!

Rolamec
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:04 am

The Blood of 999 Goats wrote:
Rolamec wrote:I have no idea what this means and in my American ignorance, I'll place a special emphasis on the word "alternative" connect it with "lifestyles" and assume this is about queers. Realizing this is the UK we are talking about, my logic is therefore undeniable.

I'd vote for you if you came to England

Look out England, London's getting a new PM. But before I become a Brit, I'll have to undergo the British treatment. First, I'll need to start drinking heavily, in order to cause serious damage to my liver. Second, I'll have to avoid the sun at all costs, fortunately enough I did pass a goth at my university, perhaps they could help and tell me how they look so creepy with their pasty complexion. Third, I need to get some crooked, ugly teeth. So bar fights, should do the trick. Fourth, I'll watch as many Sean Connery movies as humanly possible, realizing that yes his accent is Scottish, but I being an American do not realize there is a difference. Finally (and most important of all), I find an unattractive Englishwoman (easy, right? Like picking a needle out of a stack of needles), with crooked teeth, a horrible complexion, and an accent so heavy and thick I'll probably end up murdering her anyhow due to being annoyed shit crazy. Only then, can I become PM.
Rolamec of New Earth

Britcan
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Britcan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:07 am

I support proportional representation. If 1% of the population supports your policies you should get 1% of the seats.

This nation should not be taken to be representative of my real-life views, nor should any of the nonsense I posted on here as a teenager.

Forsakia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Forsakia » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:10 am

Republicke wrote:Should follow the Scottish model, I'm not sure why AV is even being talked about tbh.

It's a coalition. The Lib Dems want STV, the Tories want to keep FPTP, this was a compromise deal.

Forsakia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Forsakia » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:11 am

Whiskey Hill wrote:
Norfsex wrote:

First past the post and single member districts also ensure that those "voters of hopeless fringe parties" never get to take part in real democracy, where their voice will be heard in government. Multiple party systems allow them to be heard sometimes, even if it is as minor partners in coalitions. Just because they aren't Democrats or Republicans, or Labour or Conservatives, doesn't mean they shouldn't have a say in the actual governing of the nation once in a while.

Psst, there's a coalition on now.

Republicke
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Republicke » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:12 am

Rolamec wrote:
The Blood of 999 Goats wrote:I'd vote for you if you came to England

Look out England, London's getting a new PM. But before I become a Brit, I'll have to undergo the British treatment. First, I'll need to start drinking heavily, in order to cause serious damage to my liver. Second, I'll have to avoid the sun at all costs, fortunately enough I did pass a goth at my university, perhaps they could help and tell me how they look so creepy with their pasty complexion. Third, I need to get some crooked, ugly teeth. So bar fights, should do the trick. Fourth, I'll watch as many Sean Connery movies as humanly possible, realizing that yes his accent is Scottish, but I being an American do not realize there is a difference. Finally (and most important of all), I find an unattractive Englishwoman (easy, right? Like picking a needle out of a stack of needles), with crooked teeth, a horrible complexion, and an accent so heavy and thick I'll probably end up murdering her anyhow due to being annoyed shit crazy. Only then, can I become PM.

You missed out the part of gaining citizenship whereby you have to re-enact Zulu. The Queen's just dispatched a cadre of would-be Brits. to Libya, muskets and all. First one to bayonet Gadaffi is declared "Prince of ye Welfare State" and is exempt from Council Tax for life.

- B. Disraeli

Republicke
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Republicke » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:14 am

Forsakia wrote:
Republicke wrote:Should follow the Scottish model, I'm not sure why AV is even being talked about tbh.

It's a coalition. The Lib Dems want STV, the Tories want to keep FPTP, this was a compromise deal.

Yeah, but, introducing the Scottish system would take account of that pretty directly, in that it utilizes both FPTP and proportionality.

- B. Disraeli

The Blood of 999 Goats
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Blood of 999 Goats » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:14 am

Rolamec wrote:
The Blood of 999 Goats wrote:I'd vote for you if you came to England

To paraphrase the quote in your signature: Being English is easy; It's easier if you're ugly
The Principality of The Blood of 999 Goats recognizes the Libyan National Council as the legitimate government of Libya. Add this to your sig, substituting your nation's name.

Rolamec
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:18 am

Rolamec wrote:

To paraphrase the quote in your signature: Being English is easy; It's easier if you're ugly

Gordon Brown, Prince Charles, Richard Dawkins- suddenly it all makes senses now.
Rolamec of New Earth

The Matthew Islands
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Matthew Islands » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:18 am

I haven't made my mind up yet, about whether I will vote for it or not, but I don't think it will pass. People are too stupid to be able to work out that you have to number the candidates, when almost half the country can't be bothered to use FPTP.

Plus I also think that there will be a lot of people who will wrongfully vote no to it, in the belief that they are punishing Nick Clegg.
Souseiseki wrote:as a posting career in the UK Poltics Thread becomes longer, the probability of literally becoming souseiseki approaches 1

The Blood of 999 Goats
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Blood of 999 Goats » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:20 am

Rolamec wrote:
The Blood of 999 Goats wrote:To paraphrase the quote in your signature: Being English is easy; It's easier if you're ugly

Gordon Brown, Prince Charles, Richard Dawkins- suddenly it all makes senses now.

Well Mr. Brown is Scottish, but I'll give you the rest ;)

Rolamec
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:22 am

Rolamec wrote:

Well Mr. Brown is Scottish, but I'll give you the rest ;)

Again....*cites American ignorance*
Rolamec of New Earth

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General