NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] In Regards to Cloning II

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

[DEFEATED] In Regards to Cloning II

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sat May 14, 2011 2:26 pm

Submitted and needing approvals!

DEFINES cloning as artificial reproduction of a being by techniques not occurring naturally for the original organism,
DEFINES clone as the being that underwent such artificial reproduction as defined above

RECOGNIZES the risk of cloning mistakes,
URGES nations to take steps to prevent cloning mishaps,
REQUIRES that cloning only be done by trained professionals,
DECLARES that nations cannot classify sentient and sapient clones as their own legal class,
REQUIRES sapient clones in member nations be extended all the legal rights, privileges, and opportunities granted to their genetically identical counterparts,
DECLARES that clones cannot be used for the purpose of or as part of a violation of other GA resolutions,
AFFIRMS the right of nations to pursue cloning of sapient beings,
PRESERVES the right of nations to illegalize such cloning in that nation,
REMINDS that nations are allowed to enact further legislation in regard to clones, so long as it does not violate this act.

Alright, so i've said previously in this thread (which, by the way, is worth a read) that i'd wanted to do a replacement if it got repealed (I said that in this thread too, probably) and even though I previously said otherwise, I figured I can try now. I won't be able to submit for a while, but I don't think it'll be ready to for that sum of time.

As I'm sure you all know, Bear Armed has a proposal, 'Rights of Intelligent Beings'. The main claim being human rights doesn't include all sapient, non human beings. The Secretariats have ruled that it does, taking away a main point of his proposal. Something that isn't addressed, though, is the status of clones, and whether they get defined as sapient beings, or whether they simply get defined as artificial creatures deserving of no rights. Thats where this proposal steps in, to say that 'yes, clones do get rights'. I've changed the definitions of cloning and clone, the sticking points of the last repeal, which means this should be accepted by most, I think. I've also kept Cool Egg Sandwich as co-author, as he deserves it, the proposal not being changed much, and he'll be kept as co-author, unless he doesn't want to be, in which case he won't be. Its simple that way.

The relevant ruling by Nervun, by the way, is here.

So what are the thoughts of people on this?
Last edited by Sedgistan on Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:45 am, edited 8 times in total.
Member of The South and Osiris
Representing Mahaj in the World Assembly.
The Mahaj Factbook.

Author of Missing Minors Act (Repealed) and In Regards to Cloning
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Brogavia wrote:Fuck bitches, get money.
You shall be my god.

Georgism wrote:Fuck off you cunt, I'm always nice.

NERVUN wrote:Yog zap!

Cool Egg Sandwich wrote:I am the Urinater..... I'll be back.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

New Aventine
Secretary

Founded: Apr 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Aventine » Sat May 14, 2011 2:45 pm

Cloning is not asexual reproduction. Asexual reproduction occurs naturally in all prokaryotes, and in some eukaryotes (e.g., certain plants and fungi).
Last edited by New Aventine on Sat May 14, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sat May 14, 2011 2:53 pm

New Aventine wrote:Cloning is not asexual reproduction. Asexual reproduction occurs naturally in all prokaryotes, and in some eukaryotes (e.g., certain plants and fungi).

I've changed it to 'artificial reproduction'. Does that soothe that?
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Jedi Utopians wrote:5) Now, saying that a nation couldn't be part of OPEC would be bold. AIPEC sounds like something you'd want to get checked out by a physician for.

New Aventine
Secretary

Founded: Apr 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Aventine » Sat May 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Mahaj WA Seat wrote:
New Aventine wrote:Cloning is not asexual reproduction. Asexual reproduction occurs naturally in all prokaryotes, and in some eukaryotes (e.g., certain plants and fungi).

I've changed it to 'artificial reproduction'. Does that soothe that?

Yes, yes it does. Except you forgot to change it in your definition of clone.

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sat May 14, 2011 3:02 pm

New Aventine wrote:
Mahaj WA Seat wrote:I've changed it to 'artificial reproduction'. Does that soothe that?

Yes, yes it does. Except you forgot to change it in your definition of clone.

done.
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat May 14, 2011 10:51 pm

DECLARES that nations cannot classify sentient sapient clones as their own legal class,

May I just point out that I understand that member countries claim to do such a thing to protect their rights: however Ms. Harper wishes to point out that such action denies clones the right to integration with the community. ;)

This could be merged into:

LEAVES member countries to decide whether to legalise or outlaw cloning of sapient beings within their jurisdiction;

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun May 15, 2011 7:03 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
DECLARES that nations cannot classify sentient sapient clones as their own legal class,

May I just point out that I understand that member countries claim to do such a thing to protect their rights: however Ms. Harper wishes to point out that such action denies clones the right to integration with the community. ;)

I'm afraid that one of us in misunderstanding the other, i'll assume i'm misunderstanding what you are saying. What that clause says is that you can't create a legal class called 'clones' and then do things to them. If you are cloning a human, you consider that clone a human and in the legal class of a human, not a separate legal class called 'clones'. I don't see how that would deny clones the right of integration, indeed I would think it'd foster integration.

This could be merged into:

LEAVES member countries to decide whether to legalise or outlaw cloning of sapient beings within their jurisdiction;[/quote]
That was how I had it in the first IRtC, but Cool Egg Sandwich wanted me to split the clause into two, I did so, and I think i'll keep it as that.

Other than that, are there any other problems you can find?
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun May 15, 2011 9:43 am

What that clause says is that you can't create a legal class called 'clones' and then do things to them.

My thoughts exactly, just to confirm, honoured ambassador.

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Sun May 15, 2011 11:45 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
What that clause says is that you can't create a legal class called 'clones' and then do things to them.

My thoughts exactly, just to confirm, honoured ambassador.

Ah. very well, then.
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Kosei
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kosei » Thu May 19, 2011 9:58 am

As one of the people who complained against the first version, let me start by saying this is a huge improvement. I agree that this kind of Resolution is needed.

The number one suggestion I have now is that cloning is too tightly defined now and would not cover somatic cell clones. I recognize that creating a definition that is both sufficient but not overly broad is hard. Might I suggest adding/changing the definition to:
"DEFINES cloning as artificial reproduction of a being by techniques not occurring naturally for the original organism. This can include but is not limited to
1) Any form of genome extraction and insertion into a different cell (somatic or germ cells) for development of a complete being.
2) The development of a being from a single source (one genetic parent) of stem cells or de-differentiation somatic cells that does not occur as part of the sources natural life cycle.

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Tue May 24, 2011 12:55 pm

And i've edited.

does this satisfy?
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Thu May 26, 2011 1:21 pm

The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Kosei
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kosei » Thu May 26, 2011 1:33 pm

Yes it does.

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Thu May 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Kosei wrote:Yes it does.

Wonderful.
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Mahaj WA Seat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj WA Seat » Tue May 31, 2011 1:18 pm

bump
The Mahaj Factbook.

You shall be my god.

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:55 am

Okay, i'm going to submit this today, right as the update starts.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Princess Luna
Diplomat

Founded: May 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Princess Luna » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:28 pm

This resolution is approved in the name of Princess Luna, if you deny rights to clones, why not twins too? Such absurdity.
The Pony Principality of Princess Luna
"Luna is the most revered pony in the whole pony world." ~ Lanos
Capital:
Coltchester
Population:
Game-Stat/100,000
WA Delegate:
Grandeur Diadem

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Princess Luna wrote:This resolution is approved in the name of Princess Luna, if you deny rights to clones, why not twins too? Such absurdity.

Thanks!
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Arivali
Envoy

Founded: Jun 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arivali » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:12 pm

While I am against cloning; period, I suppose this resolution isn't too bad. I can support this.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:05 pm

It could have been interesting to have explored legal status of clones in some depth - who would be listed as their parent(s), how they relate to their biologically identical progenitor, how their chronological age and apparent age should be reconciled (if different), and so on. I am also concerned that by disallowing the creation of special legal classes for clones, it will become impossible to craft legislation that specifically would assist clones As it stands, this is pretty much a rehash of the first one, and I believe that it will likely meet the same fate.

Henrik Søgård
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:47 am

This proposal has made quorum, by the way. If you care. Which you don't. Probably.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:52 am

DEFINES cloning as artificial reproduction of a being by techniques not occurring naturally for the original organism,

This central definition is almost comically broad. It can be read as encompassing agriculture. After all, no man-made large-scale operation can be classified as "naturally occurring".

DEFINES clone as the being that underwent such artificial reproduction as defined above

Only reinforcing my point of view.

And the death blow: the poor peasant is prohibited from sowing and reaping; now that's the exclusive domain of a small elite of corporate bioengineers.

Yours weeping for the poor,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:55 am

Sionis Prioratus wrote:

This central definition is almost comically broad. It can be read as encompassing agriculture. After all, no man-made large-scale operation can be classified as "naturally occurring".

But the plants would still be reproducing among themselves, right?

And the death blow: the poor peasant is prohibited from sowing and reaping; now that's the exclusive domain of a small elite of corporate bioengineers.[/quote]
There are farmers who are trained professionals. They received training and are, well, professionals.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:05 am

Mahaj wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

But the plants would still be reproducing among themselves, right?

If that happens or not, it is of no consequence; either way it is undisputable it is not a "natural occurrence". No farm has ever "naturally occurred". The same applies to IVF babies; by the definiton they are "clones" even if they have a genetic mother and father.

Mahaj wrote:

And the death blow: the poor peasant is prohibited from sowing and reaping; now that's the exclusive domain of a small elite of corporate bioengineers.

There are farmers who are trained professionals. They received training and are, well, professionals.

There are, but far from all, or even a majority, for that matter. A most unfortunate side effect of this resolution is the elitization of one of mankind's oldest activities.

Yours in deep sorrow,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:04 am

Sionis Prioratus wrote:

"can" =/= "must"

'Reasonable Nation' theory?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives