NATION

PASSWORD

The People of New Edom v. Admiral Charles Rand (ICC case)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

The People of New Edom v. Admiral Charles Rand (ICC case)

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:44 am

Please note: This is the High Bench of the ICC's first case to date. We welcome all news coverage by foreign nations who are interested in participation (but please, do not spam--make it thoughtful).

Case Background:

Name of case :The People of New Edom vs. Admiral Charles Rand
Plantiff (if not ICC):The ICC
Defendant:Admiral Charles Rand
Case background:Admiral Charles Rand served as Minister of Defense in 2011. During that time he violated resolutions the following WA Resolutions (Page 8, World Assembly Resolutions).
#37: Fairness in criminal trials by arresting 3,000 of the ethnic Elwe tribal people in Raith Immel Province and held them without trial or formal accusation of crime for several months.
#38: Convention against genocide: by using massive bombardments and artillery strikes against areas not only inhabited by guerillas serving the Elwe Independence Organization but also by critically damaging food, water and fuel supply routes.
And that furthermore Admiral Charles Rand has attempted to seize control of the country via a coup d'etat.

Lawyers choosen by plantiff (contact me or other admin if ICC):Joanne Baku of Mesoland
Lawyer choose by defendant (if they have been notified of trial):Leah Romo of Bergnovinaia
Ideal trial start date:Ideally ASAP

- This case is offered to the ICC by the Allied States of New Edom via the current Attorney-General of New Edom, Sarah Carmel, and the said official would like to know which attorneys would be available to begin preparation to prosecute this case, if it is accepted by the ICC.

Nations of concern in the case:
RPing plaintiff and defendant: New Edom
Lawyer for the Plaintiff: Mesoland
Lawyer for Defense: Bergnovinaia
Judges: The High Bench

(OOC: I will post an introductory blurb shortly and we can get this going. I will be contacting New Edom on behalf of the defense as well, and I hope Mesoland will follow suit.)
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:16 am

Mr. Edward Hanes sat on the balcony outside his office on the third floor of the International Criminal Court's new chambers smoking one of the finest cigars he has ever laid his lips on. As he sat in his chair, inhaling the fine aroma of the smoke as it passed through his nose, his clerk, Timothy Gates, came out onto the balcony. "A telegram has just arrived from the administrative ICC office in Bergnovinaia," said Gates as he displayed the message, creased and folded neatly in his right hand. "The wire read urgent when the message was received, so I did not open it."

"That will be all," said Hanes gesturing for the message. "Thank you Gates." Gates handed over the message to Hanes, and then bowed slightly before he exited the balcony. Hanes let the message sit on his lap a while before opening it, finishing off his cigar in the meantime. As he put out the cigar on the ash tray, he unfolded the message. It read:

To: Mr. Edward Hanes & All other Judges on the High Bench
From The Administrative ICC Office in Bergnovinaia
Subject matter: The High Bench's First Case--The People of New Edom v. Admiral Rand

To whom it concerns,

It is with great pleasure that the ICC has accepted the case of The People of New Edom v. Admiral Charles Rand. This case, as many of you are likely aware, deals directly with GA Resolutions #37 and #38--very specific accusations of fraudulent arrests and crimes against humanity. Therefore, we have decided to try this case immediately in the high court, with the trial starting this evening. Please, make your way to the chambers where you will find Admiral Rand in the custody of the court officers and.....

At this point, Hanes had raid enough. "Crap!" he said out loud tossing the message into his pants pocket and fulling putting out the cigarette. "I was certain that I would have more time to enjoy to myself before a case would ever come." Hanes stormed into his chamber and frantically put on his robe. Exiting the room, he grabbed his pen and pad to take notes during the trial. Frantically, he ran down the hall to the emergency stairwell, bypassing the elevator as he felt he was already somewhat late. Once he reached the ground floor, he rushed into the chambers to find Admiral Rand in custody, only about half of the judges sitting in their seats on the panel, and Ms. Romo and Ms. Baku standing at their respective tables. Seating himself, Mr. Hanes leaned into the microphone and spoke.

"Firstly, I must apologize if I am in any way late for the trial. I was just informed that the trial was to begin so I rushed down from my private chambers. I see that some judges have not yet received the message. No matter.

Due to the severity of the charges, I request that Admiral Rand be remanded to the custody of ICC officials where he shall be under house arrest. The crimes and their severity that the Admiral are accused of are simply to grave to ignore, even if they are false, which leads me to make this decision.

I strongly urge both Ms. Romo and Ms. Baku to contact their respective clients about their defense. When we are prepared to proceed and hopefully all members of the High Bench are available, we shall begin with opening arguments from the Plaintiff, followed by the defendant. After that, we shall he the presentation of the plaintiff's case with any witnesses and evidence presented, followed by the defense. Any counselor has the right to cross-examine any witness by stating they wish to do so and to pose objections. Following the main arguments, we shall have closing arguments, followed by the vote of the High Bench. I, or another member of the High Bench, shall then read the verdict, with both Majority and Dissenting opinions. If Mr. Rand is convicted, the High Bench shall also determine proper sentencing."

At this point, Mr. Hanes then banged his gavel, officially opening the case.
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Mesoland
Senator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesoland » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Joanne Baku stepped forward and coughed. "I am Joanne Baku, and am representing the plaintiffs in this case, the people of New Edom, who are in turn to be represented by Mr. Peter Misabel of New Edom. I'd like to open my statement by first outlining the accusations brought against the defendant, Admiral Charles Rand, and to give a brief summary of the Admiral's actions and motives.

"Admiral Charles Rand, the highest serving naval officer in New Edom, is accused of unlawfully arresting upwards of 3,000 native Elwe tribes-people and remanding them in custody for a number of months without trial or formal procedure. The Admiral is also accused of genocide after he and his rebel force used heavy artillery and artillery strikes against areas inhabited by guerillas serving the Elwe Independence Organization, also damaging water, food and fuel supply-lines. Finally, Admiral Rand is accused of staging an attempted coup d'etat against the government of New Edom and attempting to unlawfully detain the Attorney-General and the Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs as well as the Minister of Police, among others, which caused widespread warfare across the New Edomite capital city, Fineberg."

Miss Baku shuffled her notes and looked back up, ready to deliver the next portion of her opening statement. "Admiral Rand's motives for such a condemnable attack on his own people are believed to have sourced from two areas; his unconstitutional induction as New Edom's Minister of Defense under King David III and his refusal to recognise New Edom's acting President, Ms. Sif Finnhald and his refusal to cooperate with her. Admiral Rand has gained support from numerous former government officials and military leaders, and this band of men and women are the people, led by Rand, who have led the nation into civil war and are the people threatening the democracy and the very foundations of the nation.

"Admiral Rand is the military leader of the so-called Monarchist rebels and is no longer employed or officially affiliated with the New Edomite government, who wish distance themselves from Admiral Rand and his aforementioned unforgivable crimes committed against the people of his own nation." Miss Baku nodded and stepped back, awaiting the next phase of the trial.
Last edited by Mesoland on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

East Klent
Minister

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby East Klent » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:32 pm

William Thomas Fuler paced back and forth in his new office pondering when his new secretary entered, "Justice Fuler, a wire for you."

"Thank you Ms..."

"Stephanie Blanchard, Sir."

"Thank you Stephanie."

Fuler unfolded the paper and read the message, "Damn, they should have notified me earlier!"

He hurridly opened his wardrobe and pulled out his robes, rushed out of his office and barely managed to dress himself as he jogged to the chambers. He walked in just as Miss Baku was giving her opening statement. Once she had finished and Fuler had found his chair, he leaned into his microphone, "I apologize for my lateness, I had just learned of the proceedings, and I would like to congratulate Justice Hanes for starting ICC's first case."

Fuler then leaned back into his seat and awaited the next phase of the trial.
Last edited by East Klent on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IC: The United Republic of Klent, URK, or the United Klentian Republic. Canon Project
Defcon:1 2 3 4 (On Alert) 5

TNN: 6/30/15
The CKDA goes to Congress for ratification and the administration prepares for talks in Batavia.

NEKSE ▲39.63 |NKTSE ▲25.03|GDIE ▲8.45

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Ms. Romo glanced at Ms. Baku as she sat down in her chair at the prosecution table aside Mr. Misbel from New Edom. Pompously, she stood up before the panel and the international reporters to deliver her opening argument.

"Good day," said Ms. Romo eyeing the judges on the panel specifically. "I am Ms. Leha Romo, and I am representing the defendant, Admiral Charles Rand of New Edom, in this case. I am going to open my statement by outlining how my client shall be defended against these erroneous charges proposed by the People of New Edom.

"Firstly, the accusations that these arrests violate General Assembly Resolution #37, Fairness in Criminal Trials, are duplicitous and false. Admiral Rand did, indeed, arrest the 3,000 or so individuals that have been claimed to be arrested in this warrant... that he will not deny. However, it should be noted that nowhere in GA #37 does the resolution address the subject matter concerning national security and arresting individuals that promote terror. Admiral Rand and his legal counsel have evidence that these arrests were done as a preemptive sweep of potential terrorists in the native Elwe tribes because of their recognized support for the militarist, guerilla attack on the Governor of Raith Immel at the Ambrosia Hotel. Due to the potential threat of these individuals condoning, promoting, and resourcing future attacks on members of the government. For these reasons, the Admiral did participate in this action, but under the discretion (and order) of President William Touchstone."

Ms. Romo glanced down at her notes received via telegram before continuing. "While the definition of genocide in GA #38, Convention Against Genocide, is rather strong, the defense sternly believes that the Admiral's intent in the killing of Elwe tribes-people was not intentional and does not warrant international ramifications. The definition in article 1, section 1 of the convention defines genocide as 'any act committed, or measure enacted, with the intent to destroy... etc.' The accusations are preposterous because it is accusing a national war on a radical terror organization's military wing as being the equivalent to genocide. This act of war was not an attempt to eradicate the Elwe people and the consequences on the environment and civilian populations are a war-time cost."

Ms. Romo took a sip of her tea and continued on. "Lastly, these accusations of the Admiral attempting to seize military power through a coup d'etat following the death of many members of New Edom's interior ministry are rather distasteful, as well as blatantly false. Admiral Rand served alongside the President, Vice President, and other ministers killed in the bombing of the President's hunting lodge. Admiral Rand would never wish harm upon these individuals, nor the nation which he served as a former Minister of Defense. At the advice of King David III, the head of the Allied State, the Admiral assumed temporary responsibility for the civil government of the nation, as proved in a declaration from the King himself. With the death of nearly the entire civil branch of the government, King David would, indeed, have the power to make these executive decisions.

"In conclusion, we hope that the court finds the Admiral not guilty of these fallacious charges so that the Admiral may continue his duty to the nation of New Edom as its leader in these troubuling times. If it was the nation of any member of the High Bench that was having it's leader tried in the face of danger, I assure you would, without a doubt, acquit." Ms. Romo sat down, waiting for a judge to continue the proceedings.

Mesoland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mesoland » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:50 pm

OOC: My judge, Gia Maskafwe OBsC of the High Bench, is now going to make a brief continuity statement regarding witnesses, under instruction from Berg.

IC:
The large black man sat on the left, third from the middle in the row of High Bench judges leant forward and murmured into his microphone to check its function, and once he was sure it worked, he spoke up. "The High Bench would now like to ask for the lawyer representing the plaintiff to call any witnesses she may have prepared to the stand for testifying, followed by any witnesses the lawyer representing the defense has prepared." The man leant back, smiling at the fluidity of which his first official act as an ICC judge had gone. A murmur rippled around the several people in the court as the plaintiff's lawyer prepared to call her first witness, and he spoke up again. "Quiet in the court please!" He proclaimed, and silence fell upon the world's most important court once more as the proceedings continued...

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Admiral Rand, a strong balding man with a large nose and physically imposing appearance, sat quietly and with dignity beside Ms. Romo, wearing a navy blue uniform with his ribbons proudly displayed, his large hands folded in front of him. His only action apart from looking up dispassionately at the opening statements was to whisper when he sat down to Ms. Romo, "I object to being called "Mr. Rand" by the Counsel for the Prosecution. I have earned my rank through a lifetime of service. Good opening statement by the way. Also, house arrest is ridiculous; if I were a flight risk I would not be here. I have come here of my own accord in good faith to defend my good name."

The Admiral's wife was in the court as well, wearing a discreet matronly light blue dress, and a matching finely woven straw hat, her hands in her lap holding her purse. She looked mildly indignant and smiled at her husband when he had occasion to look at her, but for the most part he was concentrating on the court activities.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Deputy Attorney-General Peter Misabel, a tall thin man with a dark olive complexion and black hair, whispered to Baku, "Well done. His arrogance will be his undoing; he honestly believes he cannot be prosecuted. Complications in our government made it hard for us to prosecute him directly, but he cannot hide before the light of truth. And the judge is right--he should be detained, to prevent him using his authority to muddle the case. He's not a flight risk but he probably will do that." Misabel looked at Rand with grim disapproval; his thick brows furrowed as he saw the man who had thrown the nation into turmoil for his own greed and lust for power.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:14 pm

Ms. Romo acknowledged the statement from the justice from Mesoland. "Justice... um... I didn't quite catch your name. Anyways, I have the list of the witnesses that I may wish to call from and I shall present this list to you and the defense at this time, as well as what they will testify to." She sat down, but then heard Rand's request. "Additionally, we wish for the prosecution to refer to Admiral Rand as just that... an Admiral. Rand has worked hard to garner this position and does not appreciate the prosecution so willingly ignoring it in their commentary.

The list she handed over read as follows:

1. Dr. Nestor Khalkimedes, Director of the National Astrophysics Lab, worked with Rand on the National Space program, character witness as to Rand ordering negotiations with Elwe regarding use of their land for test sites.
2. Prince Philip Tubal-Cain, a member of the aristocracy, will testify to the effect of Admiral Rand agreeing to allow foreign peacekeepers into Raith Immel Province and gave them the responsibility to look after civilians in the war torn areas. He will also testify as to the legitimacy of the Royal appointment.

3. Former Governor of Raith Immel Emil Golconda will similarly testify.

4. General Gideon Steele (nation of Mount Angel) a peacekeeping leader, should testify to the effect that in fact foreign peacekeepers were invited in to New Edom.

5. Hramanatar (title) Siri Kalousdian (nation of Nalaya) a peacekeeping leader should testify similarly.

6. Either Attorney-General Sarah Carmel, Acting President Sif Finnhald, Major-General Sidney Harcourt (Council Police) Police Minister John Kohath were all present during peackeeping negotiations. They or their representatives would make (if required) affidavits swearing that Rand had been party to such negotiations.

7. Brigadier-General Felicity Romain would testify to the effect that her unit would have been wiped out by the EIO if Rand had not ordered air strikes in the area.

8. Vice-Admiral Prince Elijah Shalmaneser would testify to how the Admiral instituted more humanitarian treatment of sailors in the navy.
Last edited by Bergnovinaia on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nalaya
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:42 pm

After every bloody war... Siri hated court rooms. She always had, particularly when they expected her to be paying attention. The Hramanatar sat in her black dress uniform, boots polished to a shine, her back ramrod straight and her hands clenched into fists on her thighs. She could almost feel her teeth falling asleep.

There was work to be done. Wounds to be dressed. Houses to be rebuilt. Dead to be buried. Living to be taught. And then these bloody lawyers, a noxious foreign institution that seemed intent upon muddying the waters rather than finding the truth, swooped in and summoned her away from her work. Beneath the surface, her anger was brewing away despite her calm exterior. If they really want to know how I feel about that rat bastard, they'll leave me alone with him in a room for five minutes. Maybe with a phone book. It was not a threat that she would ever carry through with, of course. Her job was to heal, not to harm.

For all the bloody good that did her. She still had nightmares, still had moments where she was sick because of the smell of burning hair and flesh that seemed to come from nowhere. And her lungs were dying inside her now. She still hadn't submitted to an X-ray, too busy and also too afraid that it would mean being retired from military service. Those fires...those chemicals. No, if it was going to kill her, she wanted to go out protecting the people she had promised to help. Here and out in the field,she bit her lip or covered her mouth with a handkerchief to smother her cough, struggling to catch her breath again afterward.

Compared to her, most people in the room were as white as paper. Weeks on end working hard out in the aid camps had scorched her already tan skin, bringing out her Arabic features and complimenting the dark hair pulled back and knotted into a bun just above her collar to comply with regulations. Her uniform fit just a bit loose today from the weight she had lost over the past few months. Part of her wanted to snarl for these people to get on with it because she most definitely did not have forever, but she had better manners than that.
Do you know, my son, with what little understanding the world is ruled?
- Pope Julius III

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:23 pm

The Honorable John Roll looked before the assembled court and readied himself for the first war crimes trial he did in a long time, now with international watchers. He knew the procedures of any trial but given what he's dealt with in the war crimes trials he's done, he knows what to expect. Lots of witnesses, evidence, and drama. It would be preferable if the last didn't happen but it was guaranteed in any case...oh well. Roll spoke up and began the motion hearing with flawless ease.

If anyone on the defense or prosecution wishes to file any motions before the court, I shall now hear these motions and decide on them with the other justices' input.

Soviet Canuckistan
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Canuckistan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:28 pm

Vaclav began to get restless in the small twin-engine business jet the government had lent out to him as he flew to Bergnovinaia for his first case with the ICC. He thought to himself, Getting drunk and passing out for a while might help, but a hangover wouldn't make for a good first impression or for the rest of the people back home. He flicked on the personal TV and watched whatever crappy prerecorded programming the government gave him.

12 hours later
The small jet touched down on the tarmac and inside Vaclav was getting prepared, he always knew the first impression is the most important, in his finest suit, a black jacket with a red tie and an impeccably spotless white dress shirt. He double-checked in the mirror, and thought to himself suit...check, hair...check, and he smiled in the mirror and said to himself, "Smile..check, looking good today Vaclav." He made his way out of the tiny lavatory and through the hardwood cabin with luxurious, white, leather armchairs with a large plasma-screen TV on the cabin bulkhead and took a seat and waited for the plane to taxi to its parking spot. The seatbelt sign extinguished and the door of the plane opened and Vaclav stepped out and looked out over the city's skyline. As he stepped down the stairs with a confident stride strutted into a waiting limousine to bring him to the courthouse.

He watched the buildings of the city roll by before looking into a paper file folder and took out a small booklet with the ICC emblem on the top-right and leafed to the case he was about to cover. He commented to himself, "Man, this is a big one, ethnic cleansing, coup d'etat's, looks like this case will take a while." As he looked back out the window, he saw the courthouse slowly come into view. He folded the book back up and stowed carefully back into the file folder. As the limo rolled to a halt, he sighed deeply and mumbled to himself, "Showtime!"

He entered the courthouse, a nice building, much more spectacular than the dingy office building of the Canuckistani supreme courts. He slowly opened the courtroom door and saw all those assembled. As he walked to his chair he said, "Sorry if I'm late, weather and all." He took his seat and began to review his papers once more before the case would begin.
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:10 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:The Honorable John Roll looked before the assembled court and readied himself for the first war crimes trial he did in a long time, now with international watchers. He knew the procedures of any trial but given what he's dealt with in the war crimes trials he's done, he knows what to expect. Lots of witnesses, evidence, and drama. It would be preferable if the last didn't happen but it was guaranteed in any case...oh well. Roll spoke up and began the motion hearing with flawless ease.

If anyone on the defense or prosecution wishes to file any motions before the court, I shall now hear these motions and decide on them with the other justices' input.

"My only motion at this time," said Ms. Romo, " is that the defense please present us with their list of witnesses. Thanks!"

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:59 pm

Leopoldo Illia had slipped onto his seat on the High Bench, ever a man of quiet, calm demeanour. He had heard most of the early statements by both parts, and his eyes kept their wise look as he nodded.

He had received the message about the beginning of the trial just in time, having been sharing a cup of Lirienan tea with his fellow countryman, the lawyer Cyril Millet when his personal assistant had interrupted the pleasant conversation.

So now he sat there, in an old but luxurious suit, one of the few he had bought, with a large pile of books and thick stacks of papers beside him.

"I agree..." He suddenly proclaimed in that gentle, almost whispering tone, turning his face to his fellow judges. "So far, it would seem that the prosecution's case might not be as strong as they made it seem...We should hear from witnesses...see some evidence..."

Illia turned to Ms. Siri with a slightly fatherly smile.

"Please, speak to us."
be gay do crime

I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

Nalaya
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nalaya » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:05 am

Siri stood up, tucking her peaked officer's cap under her arm. If his look was fatherly, it was lost on eyes far older than his. Her face, young as it was, spoke of a life of war and hardship in every line. The shadows of sleepless nights tormented by visions of the people she had not been able to save. Here in the court she was like a stone alone, hard and impervious to everything around her.

"I am Hramanatar Siri Kalousdian. the commanding officer of St. Xavier's Brigade, of the Nalayan Ajakts'yuk'un. Ask, and I will answer honestly and to the best of my knowledge," she said in clipped, clinical tones. She still wore the armband of a medical officer, lips pressed into a thin and grim line. If these were anything like the foreign lawyers she had crossed paths with before, they would not be respectful or kind. They wanted to break anyone who might oppose them, discredit their testimony. It was about winning.

She could feel the cough clawing its way out of her chest and pressed her fist to her lips, barely containing it. Her breath came short and ragged, but soft enough that it was not easily heard by the people watching her. They could say whatever the hell they wanted, but she was a Nalayan officer and she had a duty to do. There wasn't enough time to lie around gasping for air with her nation and Raith Immel alike depending on her.

For a brief moment, when she turned her eyes for a moment towards Rand, she was in another place. She was back in the Uprising, near Antarrayin on that horrible day.

On the ground, the Nalayans scrambled to get people out of there. It was Siri herself who approached the young woman that had been nearly ripped in half by the helicopter's guns, legs dangling uselessly with ropes of shining intestine leaking acrid fluid and blood into the mud. The Elwe was clawing at the earth, helpless without her legs responding. Siri knew a death wound when she saw it, something that would be slow and full of agonizing suffering. Like Voronwë, she thought bitterly, the charred smell reconstituted here. The duty of a physician became almost impossible here, when the suffering of others around her spiraled out of anyone's control.

She knelt down in the dust being turned into mud by the carnage, wrapping a blanket around the young woman to keep her lower body together enough that she could be carried out. Siri made soft comforting noises, rubbing the Elwe's back to get her to not struggle and make it worse. Siri talked to herself in Nalayan, trying to soothe with just her voice. Hell, she knew she needed to hear the Oath again herself.

"I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow. I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures that are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism. I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug. I will not be ashamed to say "I know not", nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given to me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick. I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure. I will remember that I remain a member of society with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm..."

I am frail and human. Heaven forgive me that, she reflected as she finally set the Elwe girl down in the shade of one of the trees near Antarrayin, where the grass was still green and thick. The wind had shifted a little bit so the smoke and smell of death was not as thick. Her Quenyan was not the best, but thanks to her lifelong friendship with Voronwë, it wasn't half bad. "You are going to be fine. You are hurt. I am going to give you something for the pain."

Siri fished out an ampule of morphine and filled the syringe. She did not need to know the young woman's weight, not for this. It was just a brief pinprick, and then soon everything would fall away. Even though it tortured her to do it, Siri had chosen the only compassionate option. The drug brought cool relief, then drowsiness, then blissful unconsciousness. A heart slowed and slowed in tandem with breathing until both just...stopped.

When she stumbled back to camp, carrying the still form, her eyes were wet. And every single Nalayan agreed later that it must have been the smoke.

The Hramanatar jolted back to reality when someone spoke to her, that horrible smell still filling the air around her. She knew no one else could smell it. And they were fortunate. Fortunate that they had not carried that memory along with so many others with them here to this place.
Last edited by Nalaya on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you know, my son, with what little understanding the world is ruled?
- Pope Julius III

East Klent
Minister

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby East Klent » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:45 am

Justice Fuler watched the subtle movements and expressions of the Hramanatar's eyes. They were barely noticeable but just enough for Fuler to realize that the young woman was suffering, Poor dear, God only knows what she's been through; the memories of battle from the Overthrow still haunt me even thirty-four years on, he thought to himself, What she has had to deal with must be too fresh in her mind for me to comprehend.

Fuler then glanced at Rand and his seemingly calm demeanor, You're making it hard for me be to stay objective my friend. He was concerned that his past experience might interfere with his opinion, Stay focused, Fuler, he thought.

Fuler returned his attention to the rest of the proceedings.
Last edited by East Klent on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC: The United Republic of Klent, URK, or the United Klentian Republic. Canon Project
Defcon:1 2 3 4 (On Alert) 5

TNN: 6/30/15
The CKDA goes to Congress for ratification and the administration prepares for talks in Batavia.

NEKSE ▲39.63 |NKTSE ▲25.03|GDIE ▲8.45

Mesoland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mesoland » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:18 pm

OOC: Back to my lawyer, Miss Baku.

IC:

Miss Baku stood and nodded at the high bench, who sat in the long glass room, staring down at the rest of the court with microphones poised in front of them. "If it pleases the court, I would like to present my list of witnesses to the high bench."

1. Lauren Russell, a reporter with NCB News from the nation of Mount Angel; will testify that he witnessed unlawful arrests of Elwe tribes-people.
2. Major Dalton, a peacekeeper from the nation of Mount Angel also witnessed unlawful arrests.
3. Hramatar (title) Siri Kalousdian witnessed deaths and damages to civilian communities in New Edom and was a peacekeeping officer commanding a medical unit.
4. Major Zerchi of the Council Police was an arresting officer near Brightwater and was acting under instructions from Admiral Rand.
5. Representatives of the President Sif Finnhald, Attorney General Sarah Carmel and Police Minister Kohath or their staff should testify that Admiral Rand was removed from office as Minister of Defense for his actions in Raith Immel, the region of New Edom in which the alleged genocide took place and should also testify to the effect that he attempted to stage a coup d'etat.

Miss Baku took a step backwards, looking piercingly towards the defense as the high bench readied itself to make the next continuity announcement.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:39 pm

Justice Hanes received the list, read it, and proceeded. "Unless there are any objections from the defense, the court is at this time ready to proceed with the hearing, beginning with the prosecutions presentation of their case. Ms. Romo?"

Ms. Romo stood up. "The defense has no objections your honor."

"Very well then," replied justice Hanes. "Please proceed with your case, Ms. Baku."

Mount Angel
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mount Angel » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:35 am

I once had a nation called Norvenia. This nation was involved in the Third Elwe Uprising, as a peacekeeping force. But Norvenia is no more, and its actions have been retroactively reattributed to my current nation, Mount Angel. For the sake of convenience, the names and ranks of Norvenian characters will be transferred unchanged to Angelan characters, so that the sequence of events can be represented with as little editing as possible; however, any reference to Norvenian politics, geography, doctrine, or in fact to Norvenia itself, will be changed here to its relevant Angelan equivalent, or omitted altogether. This should be of no relevance to the issues for which Norvenian/Angelan witnesses have been called, but I thought I'd best explain it now, lest it seem inappropriate or to cast doubts on the validity of the testimony.

“So,” murmured Lauren Russell, “is this your first time testifying?”

Major Henrietta Dalton cast a surprised glance at her fellow witness. “Yes,” she replied. “Not much call for lay auxiliaries to testify.” She shook her head with a wry grin. “Funny, that. As a military officer, I’ve caused the deaths of more people than most serial killers – and yet I’ve never seen the inside of a courtroom until today. Isn’t that strange?”

“Only to someone with an unhealthily developed sense of irony,” Lauren replied with a tight smile. “I’ve testified in a number of cases, mostly back when I was working domestic politics; investigative reporters get called a lot, as you’d expect. I even spent some time in jail once for contempt of court.”

“Why?” Dalton’s voice was shocked.

“Wouldn’t reveal a CI,” replied Lauren stoutly. At the major’s confused glance, she clarified: “A confidential informant. If I told the court who my source was, I’d be in breach of my own journalistic integrity.”

“Hm.” Dalton pondered that for a moment. This whole trial business is a good deal more complicated than it seemed, I suppose. Dalton was no stranger to moral ambiguities; she had spent the last year balancing the conflicting sides in a never-ending civil war and trying to hold down a deadly insurgency that had now, by some strange political alchemy, become the legitimate government of Raith Immel. But she had also, like most Angelans, preserved an innate faith in the clarity and purity of the judicial process – even in an international, secular court like this one. Perhaps that’s another certainty I should rethink.

Dalton’s reverie was interrupted by Justice Hanes’ instruction to the prosecution to begin. She felt, to her surprise, a thrill of nervousness: Showtime. Russell and Dalton were in the court, rather in Raith Immel doing their respective jobs, for one very simple reason: both believed with iron surety that the actions of the Council Police in Raith Immel had been “illegal, inhumane, blasphemous, and vile,” as Lauren had put it in an op-ed for The Shiloh Sentinel. And now was the chance to right the balance, to ensure some kind of justice for the victims of those actions – or at least some kind of punishment for their perpetrators.

Lauren was the first witness on the prosecution’s list. Dalton turned to her and murmured: “God bless.”

Dalton gave a fierce grin in response: “God bless, eh? ‘I will put an end to the pride of the arrogant, and lay low the insolence of tyrants,’ saith the Lord.” The reporter’s eyes were bright. “He already has.”
The Dominion of Mount Angel: A semi-democratic progressive Christian theocracy.

Mesoland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mesoland » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:48 am

"I'd like to call my first witness to the stand, Mount Angel citizen Lauren Russell, a reporter from her nation's broadcaster NBC." Miss Baku announced, stepping back in line with the defense party on the adjacent table and flashing a confident look in their direction. She was optimistic this first witness would deliver the goods and strengthen the case against the Admiral no matter what. She and her team had spent a long time selecting their witnesses, and the ones prepared were all ready to testify to what they saw and what they knew of.

Mount Angel
Envoy

Founded: Apr 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mount Angel » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Dalton cast an encouraging glance at Lauren as the reporter rose to her feet, but she had already given her all the support she could; Russel simply tossed her head, squared her shoulders, and marched to the witness stand without a backward glance. An attractive woman in her early thirties with blonde hair and green eyes, she took her seat with a seemingly effortless confidence and folded her hands on the stand, waiting to be sworn in. Let's get this show on the road, the reporter thought fiercely. Time for some justice at last.
The Dominion of Mount Angel: A semi-democratic progressive Christian theocracy.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:30 pm

Ms. Romo rolled her eyes at the prosecution's obvious attempt to stall the case by not questioning the witness Ms. Baku called. "Pardon me, your honors, but I didn't know that the court wished to take a recess. Oh wait. You didn't. Your honors, I demand that Ms. Baku immediately proceed instead of this duplicitous, grand-standing tactic of delaying the case." Ms. Romo glanced at Ms. Baku's direction receiving her confident glare. That pompous bit*h doesn't have a thing on me and my client, she thought to herself.

OOC: I am basically just bumping the thread, awaiting Mesoland's (hopefully quick) response.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:44 pm

Admiral Rand glanced up thoughtfully as the woman was called. Yes, Dalton. He remembered that incident. He wrote a note to his lawyer. I have not the slightest guilt regarding actions done out of military necessity. People from Mount Angel are raised on meddling and sentimentality, and only took an interest in our country when the headlines were finally too much for them to take. Then he looked up again, his face the image of officer-calm, the sort of face that caused people to do their duty on the bridge of a warship under enemy fire.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:48 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:Ms. Romo rolled her eyes at the prosecution's obvious attempt to stall the case by not questioning the witness Ms. Baku called. "Pardon me, your honors, but I didn't know that the court wished to take a recess. Oh wait. You didn't. Your honors, I demand that Ms. Baku immediately proceed instead of this duplicitous, grand-standing tactic of delaying the case." Ms. Romo glanced at Ms. Baku's direction receiving her confident glare. That pompous bit*h doesn't have a thing on me and my client, she thought to herself.

OOC: I am basically just bumping the thread, awaiting Mesoland's (hopefully quick) response.

So noted. Ms. Baku, please proceed or find yourself held in contempt. This goes for everyone else here.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:50 pm

"Yes, Ms. Baku," replied Justice Hanes from then bench. "No need to stall now......" Mid-speech, Hanes was interrupted by his aide, Ms. Alicia, who entreated via the judicature chamber doors, telegram in hand.

"Pardon me, your honor," she said, bowing and trying to keep as low as possible. "Just moments ago I received this telegram from the ICC administrative offices in Bergnovinaia. The subject line is concerning Justice Butler of Christian Democrats."

"Thank you," replied Justice Hanes in a whisper. "That will be all. Wait, can you bring me a cup of lightly sugared tea? That would be lovely." She nodded and quickly exited. Hanes opened the note with a letter opener he kept in his pocket and read the note. After concluding, he leaned into the microphone once more.

"It is my somber duty to report that Justice Butler of Christian Democrats will be unable to make this trial due to extenuating circumstances with his family. His family is going though a rather severe emergency, and his attendance at this very important trial is not possible. Of course, other judges have not yet checked in either... most notably the justice from Knootoss. If all justices are present, that means this panel shall consist of only eight justices that can cast their formal opinion on the case. At this time, I will officially tally Justice Butler's vote as an abstain, leaving the eight remaining votes to be either cast as guilty or not guilty (and on which counts). Should there be a tie on any of the counts, the defendant will officially be acquitted on that count. I sincerely apologize for this terrible news and its obstruction to international justice. Now please, Ms. Baku, carry on."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates