NATION

PASSWORD

Protection from Male Genital Mutilation

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:14 am

The Associated Peoples wrote:
Nulono wrote:How do I go about submitting it?

Submit a proposalThis link here will take you to it.Make sure you read the FAQ first.FAQ and the rules Rules for GA Proposalsand the Q and A wouldn't hurtGA Proposals Q&A

Don't get mad at me people Nulono would have found it eventually and at least this way maybe they will read the relevant material first.

Dagnabit I forgot this one The World Assembly Reference Guide Actually besides the proposal submitting link this is the only other link you need all the other links are in it plus some.

There is no possible way that you read any of this before submitting.I guess that just goes to show that the old saying is true..."You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it."I am actually quite disappointed that I went out of my way to point you towards the information that you need in order to write and submit a successful proposal and you spurned it entirely.Especially seeing as how I am opposed to more than one of your proposal drafts.
The Ambassador Elect of The Political Efficiency Accord Dr.Nigel Roosevelt author of GA Resolution #126Extinction Preparation Act
Economic Left/Right: -0.88 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97
Warzone Codger wrote:Well this is surely an interesting voting spilt.

You've beaten all 5 Feeders, XKI, Region Inc, Capitalist Paradise, (and edit: Gatesville) (the latter 4 being user regions who have more endos than one feeder) ALL voting against.
Intellect and the Arts wrote:Have you ever considered that there exist perspectives other than your own and equally as valid, or do you claim infallible omniscience by virtue of the houseboat you lovingly inhabit on de Nial?
Memebr of the WASO

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:15 am

We have a problem with this: what about member states who use chemical castration on sex offenders to stop them from repeating their crimes?

Nulono
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:23 am

The Associated Peoples wrote:
The Associated Peoples wrote:Submit a proposalThis link here will take you to it.Make sure you read the FAQ first.FAQ and the rules Rules for GA Proposalsand the Q and A wouldn't hurtGA Proposals Q&A

Don't get mad at me people Nulono would have found it eventually and at least this way maybe they will read the relevant material first.

Dagnabit I forgot this one The World Assembly Reference Guide Actually besides the proposal submitting link this is the only other link you need all the other links are in it plus some.

There is no possible way that you read any of this before submitting.I guess that just goes to show that the old saying is true..."You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it."I am actually quite disappointed that I went out of my way to point you towards the information that you need in order to write and submit a successful proposal and you spurned it entirely.Especially seeing as how I am opposed to more than one of your proposal drafts.

What in my proposal do you object to?
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
Numbers written with an apostrophe are in dozenal unless otherwise noted.
For example, 0'3 = 0.25, and 100' = 144.

Ratios are measured in perunums instead of percent.
1 perunum = 100 percent = 84' percent

The Nuclear Fist wrote:If all it it takes to count as a five star hotel in America is having air conditioning and not letting those who reside in it die of hyperthermia, you have shitty hotels.

Republika Jugoslavija wrote:Actually nuclear war is not the world ending scenario that many would have folks believe.

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:42 am

I repeatedly provided a phrase that would equate to an adequate compromise for most parties involved. I have provided advice on spacing so that delegates would be more likely to read what is said as well as formatting that would make it clear what is preamble and what is not. I have argued and counter-argued several points that appear to have been fully ignored simply because I disagree on certain particular points. Short of simply re-writing the proposal at hand into what I think would be at least a slightly better approach and presenting it for consideration, I am at a loss to what else I could possibly contribute and am very close to abandoning this topic entirely.
Ambassadors: Arik S. Drake, and Alice M. Drake, twins

UNOG Member
Intellect and Art (NatSovOrg Member)
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill
NERVUN wrote:By my powers combined, I am CAPTAIN MODERATION!

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:44 am

The phrase that you suggested would have allowed MGM and was therefore unacceptable.

The Nuclear Fist wrote:If all it it takes to count as a five star hotel in America is having air conditioning and not letting those who reside in it die of hyperthermia, you have shitty hotels.

Republika Jugoslavija wrote:Actually nuclear war is not the world ending scenario that many would have folks believe.

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:09 am

Nulono wrote:
The Associated Peoples wrote:There is no possible way that you read any of this before submitting.I guess that just goes to show that the old saying is true..."You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it."I am actually quite disappointed that I went out of my way to point you towards the information that you need in order to write and submit a successful proposal and you spurned it entirely.Especially seeing as how I am opposed to more than one of your proposal drafts.

What in my proposal do you object to?
I believe I made my objections clear earlier and see no need to repeat them to one that rejects freely given advise out of hand.My part in this debate is completed.Good day to you sir.

I do however have one question...I was unfamiliar with the word teterogen did you by chance mean teratogen.
Last edited by The Associated Peoples on Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ambassador Elect of The Political Efficiency Accord Dr.Nigel Roosevelt author of GA Resolution #126Extinction Preparation Act
Economic Left/Right: -0.88 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97
Warzone Codger wrote:Well this is surely an interesting voting spilt.

You've beaten all 5 Feeders, XKI, Region Inc, Capitalist Paradise, (and edit: Gatesville) (the latter 4 being user regions who have more endos than one feeder) ALL voting against.
Intellect and the Arts wrote:Have you ever considered that there exist perspectives other than your own and equally as valid, or do you claim infallible omniscience by virtue of the houseboat you lovingly inhabit on de Nial?
Memebr of the WASO

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:13 am

The Associated Peoples wrote:I do however have one question...I was unfamiliar with the word teterogen did you by chance mean teratogen.

Crud, you're right. I did a Google search and saw results, but didn't notice it did that annoying automatic correction thing.

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:31 am

Nulono wrote:The phrase that you suggested would have allowed MGM and was therefore unacceptable.

Have you ever considered that there exist perspectives other than your own and equally as valid, or do you claim infallible omniscience by virtue of the houseboat you lovingly inhabit on de Nial?

UNOG Member
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill

Ash Sham
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ash Sham » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:22 am

This supposed male "genital mutilation" which includes circumcision happens to drastically reduce the chance of spreading the pandemic HIV and has been part of religious practices for the last 10 millennia. So if this resolution is affirmed, it would infringe on people's religious traditions and state of health, as most more matured males would not receive circumcision since they have developed more nerve endings, and what not, then a newborn. Also, a corrective surgery for pseudo-hermaphroditic children would technically be considered genital mutilation. Would you like a child to suffer such unnatural confusion because you don't think it's right their sexual organ was made definitive?

Overall, this proposal is bad and it will fail at the polls, if not with the WA Delegates.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:24 am

Intellect and the Arts wrote:
Nulono wrote:The phrase that you suggested would have allowed MGM and was therefore unacceptable.

Have you ever considered that there exist perspectives other than your own and equally as valid, or do you claim infallible omniscience by virtue of the houseboat you lovingly inhabit on de Nial?

de nial is lovely, however I prefer to live in the people's republic of righteous indignitation
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
And I'd hand them an insurgency.
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:10 am

See, you just admitted it, this isn't about "consent" this is about banning a practice you don't like.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:24 am

Ash Sham wrote:This supposed male "genital mutilation" which includes circumcision happens to drastically reduce the chance of spreading the pandemic HIV and has been part of religious practices for the last 10 millennia. So if this resolution is affirmed, it would infringe on people's religious traditions and state of health, as most more matured males would not receive circumcision since they have developed more nerve endings, and what not, then a newborn. Also, a corrective surgery for pseudo-hermaphroditic children would technically be considered genital mutilation. Would you like a child to suffer such unnatural confusion because you don't think it's right their sexual organ was made definitive?

Overall, this proposal is bad and it will fail at the polls, if not with the WA Delegates.

Tradition does not give you the right to mutilate someone's genitals.

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:24 am

Flibbleites wrote:

See, you just admitted it, this isn't about "consent" this is about banning a practice you don't like.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

MGM, as defined in this proposal, is male genital modification done without consent.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:30 am

Nulono wrote:
Flibbleites wrote:See, you just admitted it, this isn't about "consent" this is about banning a practice you don't like.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

MGM, as defined in this proposal, is male genital modification done without consent.

And I think that the WA has better things to be doing with its time than worrying about little boys getting their tips snipped.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:36 am

Flibbleites wrote:
Nulono wrote:MGM, as defined in this proposal, is male genital modification done without consent.

And I think that the WA has better things to be doing with its time than worrying about little boys getting their tips snipped.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative
The right to not have your genitals mutilated is a pretty important right.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:16 am

Nulono wrote:
Flibbleites wrote:And I think that the WA has better things to be doing with its time than worrying about little boys getting their tips snipped.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative
The right to not have your genitals mutilated is a pretty important right.

Enough with the broken record act! It has been amply demonstrated that you are virtually alone in this position. You have consistently lied, obfuscated and misdirected every legitimate argument, and all because of your own arrogant belief that you are the only one who knows "the truth" and that what you believe it the one and only path.

Well, enough, already. We are damned tired of hearing your "We don't like it so Ban It!" arguments. This will never pass. Never. That it has even the single endorsement it does quite frankly surprises us.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:30 am

Grays Harbor wrote: That it has even the single endorsement it does quite frankly surprises us.

It really shouldn't. You've been around long enough that you ought to remember the list of Delegates known to approve everything that appears in the bucket, no matter what, as well as those that argue that everything should go before the floor. You know, the direct democracy people.

Nulono, you need to understand that any legislation you propose to the Assembly is something that will, if it passes, affect every single resident of every single nation under the Assembly's jurisdiction. This means that it is in your best interests to figure out a way to work with the populace rather than against them, as you can do nothing without their support.

If you cannot make the majority of the vote count happy, you are destined to fail. There's no way around it. This is why I emphasize compromise. It won't be perfect for your purposes, but isn't a partial success better than no success at all?

UNOG Member
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:34 am

Anyone who wants to be circumcised is welcome to. This proposal simply requires consent.

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:48 am

Nulono wrote:Anyone who wants to be circumcised is welcome to. This proposal simply requires consent.

Then what you need to realize is that any nation wishing to circumvent your proposal simply needs to declare the lives of male infants to be at risk due to the risk of infection if they are not circumcised.

Also, I encourage you to read my earlier post regarding the formatting of your proposal. Technically, everyone and his brother could decide that all phrases prior to "OUTLAWS..." are simple preamble and therefore not legally binding. This means all your proposal does is outlaw something called "MGM", which nations are free to define as Malignant Geriatric Motorcycles if they so please.

The law is what the law says.

UNOG Member
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:53 am

Nulono wrote:Anyone who wants to be circumcised is welcome to. This proposal simply requires consent.

Then what you need to realize is that any nation wishing to circumvent your proposal simply needs to declare the lives of male infants to be at risk due to the risk of infection if they are not circumcised.

Also, I encourage you to read my earlier post regarding the formatting of your proposal. Technically, everyone and his brother could decide that all phrases prior to "OUTLAWS..." are simple preamble and therefore not legally binding. This means all your proposal does is outlaw something called "MGM", which nations are free to define as Malignant Geriatric Motorcycles if they so please.

A nation does not have the right to simply ignore whatever parts of a resolution they don't like.

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:54 am

Nulono wrote:
Intellect and the Arts wrote:Then what you need to realize is that any nation wishing to circumvent your proposal simply needs to declare the lives of male infants to be at risk due to the risk of infection if they are not circumcised.

A nation does not have the right to simply ignore whatever parts of a resolution they don't like.

They do if it's in the preamble. Preambles are not legally binding.

UNOG Member
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:55 am

Nulono wrote:A nation does not have the right to simply ignore whatever parts of a resolution they don't like.

They do if it's in the preamble. Preambles are not legally binding.

So they can just decide anything they don't like is preamble?

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:59 am

Nulono wrote:
Intellect and the Arts wrote:They do if it's in the preamble. Preambles are not legally binding.

So they can just decide anything they don't like is preamble?

No. Preamble is generally defined by verb tense and formatting. The reason everything before the "OUTLAWS..." could be considered preamble is because that statement is the first point at which the proposal uses an active verb tense instead of a gerund and is also the first point at which the proposal clearly orders something be done. I recommend you take a look at passed proposals and compare their format with yours so you can get a better grasp of how people discern when they're legally required to start paying attention.

EDIT: Alternately, I could restructure your draft for you to illustrate what I mean. Up to you.
Last edited by Intellect and the Arts on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UNOG Member
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill

Nulono
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:04 pm

Nulono wrote:So they can just decide anything they don't like is preamble?

No. Preamble is generally defined by verb tense and formatting. The reason everything before the "OUTLAWS..." could be considered preamble is because that statement is the first point at which the proposal uses an active verb tense instead of a gerund and is also the first point at which the proposal clearly orders something be done. I recommend you take a look at passed proposals and compare their format with yours so you can get a better grasp of how people discern when they're legally required to start paying attention.

EDIT: Alternately, I could restructure your draft for you to illustrate what I mean. Up to you.

Sure, restructure away. As long as the content is the same.

Lazeruz
Civilian

Founded: Dec 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lazeruz » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:09 pm

excuse me if i may interject i dont think the MGM is a good idea i like what it represents but the world is not quite ready for this kind of thing thank you

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly