NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Elections and Assistance Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

PASSED: Elections and Assistance Act

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:27 am

Elections and Assistance Act

Category: Furtherment of Democracy - Strength: Significant

RECOGNIZING that free and fair elections are vital to the preservation and success of democratic institutions,

ACKNOWLEDGING that nations transitioning from a non-democratic system of government to a democratic system of government face special challenges in both forming an electoral system and ensuring the legitimacy of elections themselves,

RESOLVED that all nations who choose to have elections should comply with certain common expectations of what constitutes a free and fair election,

The World Assembly hereby enacts the following:

Article I - Definitions

Sec. 1. "Public office" shall herein mean any office of a government that is subject to an election, whether that election be direct or indirect, popular or otherwise.

Sec. 2. A "plebiscite vote" shall herein mean any vote put forth for the public to decide on an issue where the public’s vote is binding.

Article II - Principles of Free and Fair Elections

Sec. 1. Where all direct elections are held for public office, a secret ballot shall be used, whereby no person’s vote shall be involuntarily disclosed to the public.

Sec. 2. In all elections for public office, the aggregate results of the elections shall be made publicly available and open to scrutiny.

Sec. 3. Nations are encouraged to establish an independent body or bodies to monitor and officiate all elections for public office.

Sec. 4. Nations are encouraged to use a vote-counting methodology that does not provide a disproportionate advantage to any candidate or groups of candidates.

Article III – Assistance

Sec. 1. To assist nations transitioning from a non-democratic to a democratic form of government, hereinafter "transitioning nations," the Organization for Electoral Assistance (OEA) is established.

Sec. 2. The OEA shall assist creating electoral systems in transitioning nations when called upon by those nations for that purpose.

Sec. 3. As an advisory body, the OEA shall not have any binding authority on creating electoral systems, but shall strive to promote democratic principles, including universal suffrage and voting accessibility.

Sec. 4. The OEA shall monitor elections and plebiscite votes in transitioning nations, when asked to do so and only in the capacity agreed upon by the transitioning nations in question, excepting the mandatory provisions in Sections 5, 6, and 7 of this Article.

Sec. 5. The OEA must have access to voting locations without undue interference, to monitor possible fraud, voter intimidation, ballot tempering, and other unfair and fraudulent activities. The OEA shall make publicly available any all reports of the previous to the press and relevant institutions.

Sec. 6. The OEA must be allowed to either observe and monitor the tallying of votes or be a party therein.

Sec. 7. If the OEA serves in an observational capacity, OEA vote counts shall be nonbinding; however they should be conferred reasonable consideration in electoral disputes. If the OEA serves as a party in vote tallying, OEA vote counts shall be binding.

Sec. 8. Member nations are encouraged to assist in monitoring non-member transitioning nations’ elections and plebiscite votes, per consensual terms and conditions.

Article IV – Clarifications

Sec. 1. Nothing in this Act shall be construed to require elections in nations where no elections are currently held.

Sec. 2. However, nothing in this Act shall be construed to deny the peoples' right to self-determination.

- Dr. B. Castro

Elections and Assistance Act

Category: Furtherment of Democracy - Strength: Significant

RECOGNIZING that free and fair elections are vital to the preservation and success of democratic institutions,

ACKNOWLEDGING that nations transitioning from a non-democratic system of government to a democratic system of government face special challenges both in the formation of an electoral system and in ensuring the legitimacy of elections themselves,

RESOLVED that all nations who choose to have elections should comply with certain common expectations of what constitutes a free and fair election,

The World Assembly hereby enacts the following:

Article I - Principles of Free and Fair Elections

Section 1. Where all elections are held for political office, a secret ballot shall be used, whereby no person's vote shall be involuntarily and publicly disclosed.

Section 2. Where all elections are held for political office, the aggregate results of elections shall be made publicly available and open to public scrutiny.

Section 3. Nations are encouraged to establish an independent body or bodies to monitor and officiate all elections for public office.

Section 4. Nations are encouraged to use a vote-counting methodology that does not provide a disproportionate advantage to any candidate or groups of candidates.

Article II – Electoral Assistance

Section 1. To assist nations transitioning from a non-democratic to a democratic form of government, hereinafter “transitioning nations,” the Organization for Electoral Assistance (OEA) is hereby established.

Section 2.The OEA shall assist in the creation of electoral systems in transitioning nations when called upon by those nations for that purpose.

Section 3. As an advisory body, the OEA shall not have any binding authority on the creation of electoral system, but shall strive to promote democratic and free and fair election principles, including universal suffrage and fully accessible voting options.

Section 4. The OEA shall monitor elections in transitioning nations, when asked to do so and only in the capacity agreed upon by the transitioning nations in question, excepting the mandatory provisions in Sections 5, 6, and 7 of this Article.

Section 5. The OEA must have access to voting locations without undue interference, to monitor possible fraud, voter intimidation, ballot tempering, and other unfair and fraudulent activities. The OEA shall make publicly available any all reports of the previous to relevant authorities, including the press and relevant international institutions.

Section 6. The OEA must be allowed to either observe and monitor the tallying of votes or be a party in the tallying of votes.

Section 7. If the OEA serves in a strictly observational capacity, OEA vote counts shall be nonbinding; however they should be conferred reasonable consideration in electoral disputes. If the OEA serves as a party in vote tallying, OEA vote counts shall be binding.

Section 8. Member nations are encouraged to assist in the monitoring of non-member transitioning nations’ elections, per agreed-upon terms and conditions that uphold the principles of free and fair elections.

Although the World Assembly has made significant strides to promote democracy and uphold democratic principles, we have for some reason stayed away from the subject of elections. We clearly cannot force elections to be held, but we should determine what constitutes free and fair elections, so that elections held by authoritarian regimes and elections held by liberal democracies are not equivalent in the eyes of the World Assembly.

This proposal does not mandate elections, but it does require that elections conform to certain universally agreed-upon standards. These are not wide-ranging or incredibly specific: secret ballots, public scrutiny, independent verification, and fair methodologies. The second half of the proposal deals with electoral assistance. It is common for elections in new democracies to be instable and subject to severe criticism and charges of illegitimacy. What the Organization for Electoral Assistance does is provides a neutral third-party that can monitor elections, which increases both the real and perceived legitimacy of those elections. It also can help in the formation of electoral systems, so that the system itself promotes democratic principles.

I don't think the proposal needs very much revision. If there are things that should be added and or things that need to be clarified, please say so. But I'm fairly comfortable with considering the current draft foundational.

- Dr. B. Castro
Last edited by Flibbleites on Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:17 am

I would figure that you probably need some sort of "Clarifying that this proposal will not force any member states not holding elections to become a transitioning nation" or ... whatever. (OOC: My head cold is messing with my ability to form legal-ese sentences.)

As I read it, it doesn't appear that you are requiring a nations/governments to hold elections, but another clause to make that especially clear would likely be helpful and avoid any claims of "ideological ban" for attempting to force elections on all nations - notably various dictatorships, etc.

Further, as this proposal wouldn't affect all member nations (due to the fact that not all nations hold elections), I'm not sure if "Significant" is the appropriate strength.

Not sure if I'd support this or not. (Again, the cold is making it hard for me to concentrate for an extended period of time.)
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:47 am

Mousebumples wrote:Further, as this proposal wouldn't affect all member nations (due to the fact that not all nations hold elections), I'm not sure if "Significant" is the appropriate strength.

I think the strength of Significant is justified because it creates requirements for the most fundamental aspect of democracies (elections). It also creates a foreseeable large and expansive committee. The only reason I did not list it as Strong (which would be the greatest strength) is because it doesn't mandate elections be held everywhere for political office. I think a Mild strength would be appropriate if this proposal only encouraged free and fair elections; but it does much more than that.

As for the clarifications, I will think about what to do with them. I'll certainly add them, but I need to figure out how to structure them into the format.

- Dr. B. Castro

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:59 pm

I'd change the end of clause one to:
...involuntarily disclosed to the public.

Under the current wording it doesn't allow any public disclosure of votes. There will be those who wish to make their vote known.

If you mean voting officials cannot disclose other people's votes, I'd make that clearer.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:42 pm

Follow-up question: Do you intend for this proposal to also cover referendums and the like? (i.e. voting on constitutional amendments, increases in taxes to pay for Item X, etc.)

It certainly doesn't need to be included, but I think the proposal may be stronger if it wasn't limited solely to elections of individuals to serve public office.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:31 am

I think referendums should be covered too in my opinion. After a turbulent chapter in the history of Minoa we could continue with voluntarily allowing international observers and all-secret ballots to maintain confidence in the country's rapidly recovering election system.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:35 am

I've included clarifications and added plebiscite organization, monitoring, and verification. However, the proposal is now currently a few hundred characters over the general limit. If the language can't be simplified and some things merged, then the plebiscite assistance will have to be saved for a separate resolution...

- Dr. B. Castro
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarvarza
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zarvarza » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:25 am

Against - This act creates one more needless organization that will never be actually created, and its highly doubtful I am doing to go around in fear because some phantom organization will be watching my nation...

Be realistic, Maybe if you actually developed a coalition of nations who went around to everywhere, and inforced this, then yeah, it would be cool,

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:30 am

Will this actually do anything other than make the nations currently pretending to be democracies stop pretending? I mean, it's great to have fair elections, but there's nothing to say a nation has to have elections at all (nor could there be). I'd question whether a nation that doesn't want fair elections might simply not bother with elections at all. I'm not saying it's bad, but I, too, would question the strength of "significant".

Also, for what it's worth, I had to look up "plebiscite". I'd imagine the vast majority of the rest of the assembly would, too. Far be it from me to suggest dumbing down the language, but a word that obscure seems almost deliberately obtuse, and will most certainly discourage those few would-be lemmings who actually bother to read the proposal.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:47 am

Zarvarza wrote:Against - This act creates one more needless organization that will never be actually created, and its highly doubtful I am doing to go around in fear because some phantom organization will be watching my nation...

Be realistic, Maybe if you actually developed a coalition of nations who went around to everywhere, and enforced this, then yeah, it would be cool,

You mean besides how the red highlighted portion is illegal under WA rules? To do that would be Roleplay, in the Nationstates or International Incidents forums. The GA cannot designate via resolution specific nations to do what you suggest, that is akin to the creation of prohibited WA military or police. Committees are created all the time, and to dismiss them all out of hand is not quite the recommended procedure here. It is the created WA committees (WA Gnomes) which do the "enforcing". The strength and category are what have an actual effect on WA member nations.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Embolalia wrote:Will this actually do anything other than make the nations currently pretending to be democracies stop pretending? I mean, it's great to have fair elections, but there's nothing to say a nation has to have elections at all (nor could there be). I'd question whether a nation that doesn't want fair elections might simply not bother with elections at all. I'm not saying it's bad, but I, too, would question the strength of "significant".

Whether nations choose to change their government type has no bearing on the strength of the resolution. The requirements are significant for nations who do choose to have elections. There are many high-strength resolutions that require a certain scenario, and nations can get themselves out of that scenario if they don't want to have to deal with the resolutions. (Ex.: Freedom of Marriage regulates marriage law; nations can simply do away with marriage if they don't want to deal with the regulations in FOMA. The correlation is made even better when you consider that FOMA is also 'Significant.')

Embolalia wrote:Also, for what it's worth, I had to look up "plebiscite". I'd imagine the vast majority of the rest of the assembly would, too. Far be it from me to suggest dumbing down the language, but a word that obscure seems almost deliberately obtuse, and will most certainly discourage those few would-be lemmings who actually bother to read the proposal.

A plebiscite covers referendums, initiatives, and all other laws put up for vote. Given the character count already, I don't feel inclined to get rid of the word and replace it with the numerous things it describes. Also, there shouldn't be any mystery as to what a plebiscite is; as far as I'm aware, there is only one definition.

- Dr. B. Castro

Osthia
Negotiator

Founded: May 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Osthia » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:39 pm

We would support this legislation should it become a proposal.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:40 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:The requirements are significant for nations who do choose to have elections.

OOC: Proposal strengths are officially supposed to consider the proportion of people/nations in the WA's membership who would actually be affected, as well as how much those people/nations would be affected. I drafted a similar proposal back in NSUN days, and the Mods then said 'Mild'...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:06 pm

A resolution we like and quite willing to support. Although it would not affect us for now, as a settlement in a Warzone requires some concession for sake of survival in it is in line with where we want (and want others) to be.
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:53 pm

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: Proposal strengths are officially supposed to consider the proportion of people/nations in the WA's membership who would actually be affected, as well as how much those people/nations would be affected. I drafted a similar proposal back in NSUN days, and the Mods then said 'Mild'...

OOC: I don't think 'Mild' would be strong enough. There are a lot of nations that hold elections, and the requirements are significant. The Food Welfare Act was submitted under 'Strong,' as the effect of ending protectionism is food trade (among nations who traded food) was strong. I think requiring secret ballots and public scrutiny is pretty significant, regardless of the number of democracies there are. I believe the 'strength' of a category isn't about how many nations it affects, but rather the effect on the nations it does.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:45 pm

FOR.

I'd add provisions for:
  • Clear ballot design
  • Assistance for voters who are visually impaired or blind
  • Allow disenfranchisement of criminals
  • Allow disenfranchisement of those who are mentally incapable of voting
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:24 am

Christian Democrats wrote:I'd add provisions for:
  • Clear ballot design
  • Assistance for voters who are visually impaired or blind
  • Allow disenfranchisement of criminals
  • Allow disenfranchisement of those who are mentally incapable of voting

Unfortunately, I do not plan on adding anything further; it is actually impossible to do, without removing existing language. In any case, the first two suggested provisions are part of the OEA's mandate to "strive to promote democratic and free and fair election principles, including universal suffrage and fully accessible voting options." The second two suggestions, dealing with disenfranchisement, are beyond the intended scope of this proposal. They also aren't banned, and likely won't be, so there is no real need to 'allow' them.

- Dr. B. Castro

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:28 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:OOC: Proposal strengths are officially supposed to consider the proportion of people/nations in the WA's membership who would actually be affected, as well as how much those people/nations would be affected. I drafted a similar proposal back in NSUN days, and the Mods then said 'Mild'...

OOC: I don't think 'Mild' would be strong enough. There are a lot of nations that hold elections, and the requirements are significant. The Food Welfare Act was submitted under 'Strong,' as the effect of ending protectionism is food trade (among nations who traded food) was strong. I think requiring secret ballots and public scrutiny is pretty significant, regardless of the number of democracies there are. I believe the 'strength' of a category isn't about how many nations it affects, but rather the effect on the nations it does.

OOC: But remember that it would also have effects on the stats for those nations where it wouldn't have effects IC, and this factor needs to be balanced against the effective strength in those nations where there would be IC effects. Unfortunately the ruling was back on Jolt, so it might not have been saved, but it was definite. Ask the Mods now?
A diplomatic mission from Bears Armed, formerly stationed at the W.A. . Population = either thirty-two or sixty-four staff, maybe plus some dependents.

GA & SC Resolution Author

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

The Associated Peoples
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Associated Peoples » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:43 am

I really like this and give it my support.In fact I would not mind a post on the OEA board once my services as Ambassador of The Associated Peoples has come to it's conclusion.I am well versed in the democratic process and would be more than happy to donate my time and services.As we say in The Associated Peoples...“Democracy...It's what's For Breakfast!!!Gobble,Gobble!”
The Ambassador Elect of The Political Efficiency Accord Dr.Nigel Roosevelt author of GA Resolution #126Extinction Preparation Act
Economic Left/Right: -0.88 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97
Warzone Codger wrote:Well this is surely an interesting voting spilt.

You've beaten all 5 Feeders, XKI, Region Inc, Capitalist Paradise, (and edit: Gatesville) (the latter 4 being user regions who have more endos than one feeder) ALL voting against.
Intellect and the Arts wrote:Have you ever considered that there exist perspectives other than your own and equally as valid, or do you claim infallible omniscience by virtue of the houseboat you lovingly inhabit on de Nial?
Memebr of the WASO

Airport Motor Lodge
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Airport Motor Lodge » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:21 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Section 1. Where all elections are held for political office, a secret ballot shall be used, whereby no person's vote shall be involuntarily disclosed to the public.

This should only apply to direct elections for public office. Suppose that an elected legislature elects its speaker and various committee chairs. Such votes should be made public so that elected legislators are accountable to their constituents for their choices of officers. As currently written, this would mandate secret ballots in such elections.

Additionally, it should apply only to public offices, not to offices of private political organizations. A party or political action committee should be free to determine whether or not to use secret ballots to elect its officers.

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Section 2. Where all elections are held for political office, the aggregate results of elections shall be made publicly available and open to public scrutiny.

Again, this should only apply to elections for public office.

-Silvana Rossi
Ambassador to the General Assembly
Airport Motor Lodge
The Airport Motor Lodge
Now with free COLOR TV!
Representing New Rockport to the World Assembly

Play NationStates Trivia: G.A. Resolution Authors S.C. Resolution Authors World Cup Winners
Largest Regions

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:51 pm

OOC:(can't quote I'm on an iPod)
On your first point, in RL (still OOC), the elections for the President of the USA are not direct. Regardless of how the people vote, the Electoral College is the body who actually chooses the winner - it's just considered hood form to choose the one the people voted for.

The part about public vs. private elections I'm fine with.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Airport Motor Lodge
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Airport Motor Lodge » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Darenjo wrote:OOC:(can't quote I'm on an iPod)
On your first point, in RL (still OOC), the elections for the President of the USA are not direct. Regardless of how the people vote, the Electoral College is the body who actually chooses the winner - it's just considered hood form to choose the one the people voted for.

The part about public vs. private elections I'm fine with.

OOC: The members of the Electoral College should not be allowed to hide behind a secret ballot, rather they should be accountable to the voters for their presidential and vice presidential votes.
The Airport Motor Lodge
Now with free COLOR TV!
Representing New Rockport to the World Assembly

Play NationStates Trivia: G.A. Resolution Authors S.C. Resolution Authors World Cup Winners
Largest Regions

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:25 am

I agree that the strength of this proposal should be 'mild' since not all nations have elections.

When should we expect this to be submitted?
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:10 am

Changes have been made to limit the election rules to direct elections for public office. If a delegation can provide wording that broadens the scope of the rules while maintaining a reasonable level of transparency in indirect elections, please provide that language and I'll consider adding it.

Christian Democrats wrote:When should we expect this to be submitted?

I'm going to wait until I feel there's no more substantive debate. Then I need to simplify some parts, so that the character count is within the general limit.

- Dr. B. Castro

Bears Armed Mission wrote:OOC: But remember that it would also have effects on the stats for those nations where it wouldn't have effects IC, and this factor needs to be balanced against the effective strength in those nations where there would be IC effects. Unfortunately the ruling was back on Jolt, so it might not have been saved, but it was definite. Ask the Mods now?

OOC: There are many examples of resolutions submitted under 'Significant' that didn't affect all nations or even a majority of nations. (FOMA, the Food Welfare Act, A Ban on Forced Disappearances, to name a few.) It's not the number of nations that matters, but rather the scope of the resolution itself. The rules sticky also uses language that refers to policy scope and not number of nations affected. So, I feel no need to change the strength or ask mods what strength it should be; I'm pretty confident that Significant is justified. Establishing universal secret ballots, among other things, isn't 'Mild' in any sense of the word, and I don't think submitting it under that strength would do the proposal any justice.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:16 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Changes have been made to limit the election rules to direct elections for public office. If a delegation can provide wording that broadens the scope of the rules while maintaining a reasonable level of transparency in indirect elections, please provide that language and I'll consider adding it.

I was thinking "representative" or "proportionate".

-Ms. S. Harper.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives