NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Medical Research Ethics Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Quadrimmina
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Medical Research Ethics Act

Postby Quadrimmina » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:06 pm

Medical Research Ethics Act
Category:Human Rights
Strength:Significant

THIS WORLD ASSEMBLY,

RECOGNIZING the importance of medical research in a world where new discoveries save lives every day.

HOWEVER, REALIZING that medical research can be performed unethically, and cause permanent harm to the subject, sometimes without consent.

UNDERSTANDING that ethical dilemmas exist in medical research, includingo:
i. Excessive coercion or deception of prospective testing subjects.
ii. Exploiting weak, undereducated, or emotionally unstable subjects.

DEFINES an Institutional Review Board (IRB) as a board of individuals qualified to impartially analyze medical research proposals.

REQUIRES that any entity within a WA nation that performs medical research on any individuals must have this research verified as ethical by an IRB within the nation.

ALLOWS WA nations to regulate their own IRB system, with all research accountable to some IRB, be it public or private.

ESTABLISHES that all prospective researchers must provide the following documentation to an IRB, in addition to any other documentation as determined by national law:
i. A protocol.
ii. The subject consent form, which accurately details the study and provides info about contacts for complaints.
iii. Information concerning qualification and contact info of all research personnel.
iv. Information concerning the subjects and how they are chosen.

FURTHER ESTABLISHES that research must be reviewed every year by an IRB. If the research is not approved, termination of the research must occur when all patients can be considered stable for release, and the IRB may take measures to ensure this happens in a timely manner for quick termination.

URGES that the IRBs, whether they be public or private, be free from political pressure in their review of research.

ALLOWS the creation of Regional IRBs by treaty for collaborative scientific research efforts or to provide for nations that do not have a high amount of medical research. In this case, a researcher can choose to submit research to any IRB in his/her jurisdiction.

ENSURES that the IRBs reject any research that they reasonably believe may:
i. Cause participation that is not a result of an informed, impartial, and rational decision to provide consent.
ii. Cause preventable death, serious injury, or significant physical or psychological damage to a subject.

CREATES a Medical Research Ethics Board, whose purpose is to review research approved by IRBs in WA nations and ensure that the approval is valid, based on conceptions of rights of people, medical ethics, and international and national law. If a country's IRB system is found to be inadequate or ineffective, the MREB will have the ability to shut it down and refer that country’s research to its regional IRB or, failing this, usurp its responsibility until that country’s system is acceptable.

ENSURES that WA nations regulate issues regarding consent of individuals and how that consent can be responsibly terminated, with appeals to be referred to the MREB.

GUARANTEES that national policy concerning the legal rights removed from a person by due process of law is not grounds for dismissal of that nation’s IRB law by the MREB, so long as such research could not be dismissed in any other context enumerated above.

DECLARES that war prisoners must never be experimented upon.

THIS WORLD ASSEMBLY,

RECOGNIZING the importance of medical research in supporting the body of knowledge in the field of medicine and improving the quality of life for all peoples.

REALIZING that medical research can be performed unethically, and cause permanent harm to the subject, sometimes without consent.

UNDERSTANDING that ethical dilemmas exist in medical research, including:

DEFINES an Institutional Review Board (IRB) as a board of individuals qualified to impartially analyze medical research proposals.

DECLARES that the use of prisoners of war for medical research is strictly forbidden.

REQUIRES WA member nations to create and regulate an IRB system, or by treaty to create an IRB system in conjunction with other WA member nations for collaborative scientific research efforts, to provide for nations that do not have a high amount of medical research or where establishing an IRB would be prohibitively expensive to the nation.

FURTHER REQUIRES that any entity within a WA nation that performs medical research on any individuals must have this research verified as ethical by the IRB to which their nation subscribes.

ESTABLISHES that all prospective researchers must provide the following documentation to the IRB:
i. A protocol that defines the purpose of the study, the methods to be used, the expected results and procedures in the event the trial has a negative impact on one or more trial subjects.
ii. The subject consent form, which accurately details the study and provides info about contacts for complaints.
iii. Information concerning qualification and contact info of all research personnel.
v. Additional documentation as determined by national law.

FURTHER ESTABLISHES that research must be reviewed every year by an IRB. If the research is not approved, termination of the research must occur when all patients can be considered stable for release, and the IRB may take measures to ensure this happens in a timely manner for quick termination.

MANDATES that the IRBs be free from political pressure in their review of research.

REQUIRES that the IRBs reject any research that they reasonably believe may:
i. Cause participation that is not a result of an informed, impartial, and rational decision to provide consent except where the subject’s legal rights were removed by due process of law
ii. Cause preventable death, serious injury, or significant physical or psychological damage to a subject.

ENSURES that WA nations regulate issues regarding consent of individuals and how that consent can be responsibly terminated.

Co-Authored by Manticore Reborn
Last edited by Ardchoille on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:
GA#111 (Medical Research Ethics Act)
SC#28 (Commend Sionis Prioratus)
GA#197 (Banning Extrajudicial Transfer)

Co-authored:
GA#110 (Identity Theft Prevention Act)
GA#171 (Freedom in Medical Research)
GA#196 (Freedom of Information Act)

Goddess Relief Office
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Goddess Relief Office » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:20 pm

DECLARES that war prisoners must never be experimented upon in the nation in which they are held prisoner.

There is a loophole in the above sentence. If a POW is held on foreign soil, they could be experimented upon. (Recall reports about CIA abusing prisoners on planes and in Pakistan and Egypt after they were prevented from doing so on US soil). I suggest just closing the loophole entirely and say "DECLARES that war prisoners must never be experimented upon." (fullstop).

The other sections look good. :)
Last edited by Goddess Relief Office on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper of The World Tree - Yggdrasil
General Assembly:
GA#053 - Epidemic Response Act
GA#163 - Repeal LOTS
GA#223 - Transboundary Water Use Act

Security Council:
SC#030 - Commend 10000 Islands (co-author)
SC#044 - Commend Texas (co-author)
SC#066 - Repeal "Liberate Wonderful Paradise"
SC#108 - Liberate South Pacific
SC#135 - Liberate Anarchy (co-author)
SC#139 - Repeal "Liberate South Pacific"

Former delegate and retired defender
Nice links for easy reference:
Passed WA Resolutions | GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | GA Rules

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:32 pm

True, thanks for the input. I will have to recall my proposal to change that, but it will be done.
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:

Co-authored:

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:49 pm

I think #82 already covers this.

Also, for what it's worth, my usual convention for thread titles is [DRAFT] when it's still being edited, and then changed to [SUBMITTED] when it has been officially submitted to the WA. (That is, it can no longer be edited unless it fails to reach quorum) Then, if it gets quorum, I change it to [IN QUEUE] while it waits for vote. If my proposal turns out to be illegal or unsupportable, I change the title to [WITHDRAWN], so that people don't keep bumping it up. I think that reduces confusion.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Embolalia wrote:I think #82 already covers this.

Also, for what it's worth, my usual convention for thread titles is [DRAFT] when it's still being edited, and then changed to [SUBMITTED] when it has been officially submitted to the WA. (That is, it can no longer be edited unless it fails to reach quorum) Then, if it gets quorum, I change it to [IN QUEUE] while it waits for vote. If my proposal turns out to be illegal or unsupportable, I change the title to [WITHDRAWN], so that people don't keep bumping it up. I think that reduces confusion.

Of course. I just forgot to change it back to DRAFT when I withdrew my submission.

And regarding GA#82, its just clinical trials. This is standards for all research. Also, it went to vote after GA#82 was passed without Mod objection already.
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:43 am

The Ministry for Heath of the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn has reviewed this proposal. After consultations with various legal experts my government presents the following adjusted legislation:
Human Rights, Significant

THIS WORLD ASSEMBLY,

RECOGNIZING the importance of medical research in supporting the body of knowledge in the field of medicine and improving the quality of life for all peoples

REALIZING that medical research can be performed unethically, and cause permanent harm to the subject, sometimes without consent.

DECLARES that the use of prisoners of war for medical research is strictly forbidden

REQUIRES WA member nations to create and regulate an IRB system, or by treaty to create an IRB system in conjunction with other WA member nations for collaborative scientific research efforts, to provide for nations that do not have a high amount of medical research or where establishing an IRB would be prohibitively expensive to the nation

FURTHER REQUIRES that any entity within a WA nation that performs medical research on any individuals must have this research verified as ethical by the IRB to which their nation subscribes

ESTABLISHES that all prospective researchers must provide the following documentation to the IRB:
i. A protocol that defines the purpose of the study, the methods to be used, the expected results and procedures in the event the trial has a negative impact on one or more trial subjects.
v. Additional documentation as determined by national law

MADATES that the IRBs be free from political pressure in their review of research.

i. Cause participation that is not a result of an informed, impartial, and rational decision to provide consent except where the subject’s legal rights were removed by due process of law

ENSURES that WA nations regulate issues regarding consent of individuals and how that consent can be responsibly terminated

We eagerly await debate and suggestions to improve this proposal.

The humble representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn yields the floor.
Respectfully,
Hamish Alexander, Eighteenth Earl of White Haven
Minister of Foreign Affairs to His Majesty King Roger VI
The Kingdom of Manticore Reborn

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:49 pm

The Republic of Quadrimmina has reviewed the revised proposal and approves it. We consider it to be a just change given the absence of the MREB and note that without it, it bears many similarities to our Witness Protection Act.

We thank the delegation from Manticore Reborn for their diligence in editing our proposal and presenting it to the WA.
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Human Rights, Significant

THIS WORLD ASSEMBLY,

RECOGNIZING the importance of medical research in supporting the body of knowledge in the field of medicine and improving the quality of life for all peoples

DECLARES that the use of prisoners of war for medical research is strictly forbidden.

REQUIRES WA member nations to create and regulate an IRB system, or by treaty to create an IRB system in conjunction with other WA member nations for collaborative scientific research efforts, to provide for nations that do not have a high amount of medical research or where establishing an IRB would be prohibitively expensive to the nation.

FURTHER REQUIRES that any entity within a WA nation that performs medical research on any individuals must have this research verified as ethical by the IRB to which their nation subscribes.

v. Additional documentation as determined by national law.

MANDATES that the IRBs be free from political pressure in their review of research.

ENSURES that WA nations regulate issues regarding consent of individuals and how that consent can be responsibly terminated.

Co-authored by Manticore Reborn.

The World Assembly Delegation of the Republic of Quadrimmina has reviewed the proposal of the delegation from Manticore Reborn and has referred it to the Ministry of Health and Wellness, as well as the Ministry of Scientific Research. Both have declared their overwhelming support for this measure, as do I and as does Chancellor Forge. We back the resolution as amended by Manticore Reborn's delegation and await further comments from our colleagues concerning this resolution.
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:11 am

This is a gentle reminder that everyone should vote today before the Act is gone! :D
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

South-Western Dakota
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby South-Western Dakota » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:49 am

Before I place my ballot I must enquire as how this affects Death Row prisoners? As it is a very common practice to use the condemned to die as medical test subjects it holds a significant effect upon our nations medical research
-Capo Crescenzo
Political Alignment : Minarchist
Economic +7.38 (Right) Social +2.21(Right)
The illustrious Don of South-Western Dakota,
Gavino Lombardi

"A man chooses, a slave obeys."

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:51 am

South-Western Dakota wrote:Before I place my ballot I must enquire as how this affects Death Row prisoners? As it is a very common practice to use the condemned to die as medical test subjects it holds a significant effect upon our nations medical research
-Capo Crescenzo

I would refer the honorable ambassador from South-Western Dakota to this passage:

I have underlined the appropriate clause that deals with convicted persons.
Respectfully,

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

South-Western Dakota
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby South-Western Dakota » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:43 pm

Manticore Reborn wrote:
South-Western Dakota wrote:Before I place my ballot I must enquire as how this affects Death Row prisoners? As it is a very common practice to use the condemned to die as medical test subjects it holds a significant effect upon our nations medical research
-Capo Crescenzo

I would refer the honorable ambassador from South-Western Dakota to this passage:

I have underlined the appropriate clause that deals with convicted persons.

Unfortunately I overlooked that passage, my apologies and thanks. Thus, I fully support this resolution.
Political Alignment : Minarchist
Economic +7.38 (Right) Social +2.21(Right)
The illustrious Don of South-Western Dakota,
Gavino Lombardi

"A man chooses, a slave obeys."

Neutonica
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Neutonica » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:01 pm

URGES that the IRBs, whether they be public or private, be free from political pressure in their review of research.

This delegate would like to seek clarification on how public IRBs would be free from political pressure. Other than this minor issue, Neutonica fully supports the proposal at hand.

Dr Isaac Corrigan
Delegate of Neutonica

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:16 am

South-Western Dakota wrote: Unfortunately I overlooked that passage, my apologies and thanks. Thus, I fully support this resolution.

There is no need to apologize. With the amount of documents we are expected to read each day, it is understandable.
Respectfully,

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:18 am

Neutonica wrote:

This delegate would like to seek clarification on how public IRBs would be free from political pressure. Other than this minor issue, Neutonica fully supports the proposal at hand.

Dr Isaac Corrigan
Delegate of Neutonica

The intent here is that the governments of nations should not pressure IRBs to approve/disapprove research for political reasons (i.e. the current government of Nation A doesn't like the idea of Stem Cell Research as they think it is immoral. They should not pressure the IRB to reject any research based on this "political" stance.)

We hope that makes the matter as clear as mud and the humble representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn yields the floor.
Respectfully,

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Neutonica
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Neutonica » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:35 am

Manticore Reborn wrote:
Neutonica wrote:

Dr Isaac Corrigan
Delegate of Neutonica

The intent here is that the governments of nations should not pressure IRBs to approve/disapprove research for political reasons (i.e. the current government of Nation A doesn't like the idea of Stem Cell Research as they think it is immoral. They should not pressure the IRB to reject any research based on this "political" stance.)

We hope that makes the matter as clear as mud and the humble representative from the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn yields the floor.

This delegate understands what "free from political pressure" means. What this delegate fails to see, perhaps because of a lack of a proper pair of spectacles or just plain thickness, is how public IRBs can avoid political pressure.

Thank you, and apologies.

Dr Isaac Corrigan
Delegate of Neutonica

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:59 am

Neutonica wrote:This delegate understands what "free from political pressure" means. What this delegate fails to see, perhaps because of a lack of a proper pair of spectacles or just plain thickness, is how public IRBs can avoid political pressure.

Dr Isaac Corrigan
Delegate of Neutonica

I must apologize as it was not my intent to assume the honorable Dr. Corrigan didn't understand the phrase. However, how does any public body avoid political pressure? The same could be said of a court system in most nations. In Manticore Reborn, our judges are appointed by the Prime Minister and King. Appointments are of course sometimes politically motivated regardless of our sovereign's desires to chose those most qualified. It is up to the individual judges to keep themselves free from pressure from society and politicians. I foresee a similar situation for any IRB.
Respectfully,

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:17 am

Manticore Reborn wrote:
Neutonica wrote:This delegate understands what "free from political pressure" means. What this delegate fails to see, perhaps because of a lack of a proper pair of spectacles or just plain thickness, is how public IRBs can avoid political pressure.

Dr Isaac Corrigan
Delegate of Neutonica

I must apologize as it was not my intent to assume the honorable Dr. Corrigan didn't understand the phrase. However, how does any public body avoid political pressure? The same could be said of a court system in most nations. In Manticore Reborn, our judges are appointed by the Prime Minister and King. Appointments are of course sometimes politically motivated regardless of our sovereign's desires to chose those most qualified. It is up to the individual judges to keep themselves free from pressure from society and politicians. I foresee a similar situation for any IRB.

Our delegation, upon presenting this resolution months ago for initial review, also considered the same issue. However, freedom from political pressure is rather subjective, and can't really effectively happen. The original version with the MREB actively prevented this by disbanding IRB systems that were ineffectual. However, currently, it would be an honor system type thing. It's the best the WA can do.
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

Neutonica
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Neutonica » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:57 pm

Manticore Reborn wrote:

Dr Isaac Corrigan
Delegate of Neutonica

This delegate thanks Earl Hamish for his explanation. Neutonica sees the light now.

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:01 pm

Our Republic humbly re-proposes this Act, with the requisite amendments as proposed by the Kingdom of Manticore Reborn. As our first widely-supported resolution, we hope it is something that most delegations will find it favorable.
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:48 am

I have been instructed to lodge our continued support for this proposal.

--David Hammerer Adjunct to Earl White Haven who has been recalled to New Manticore for consultations with the King.
Respectfully,

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Quadrimmina
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:08 am

Manticore Reborn wrote:I have been instructed to lodge our continued support for this proposal.

--David Hammerer Adjunct to Earl White Haven who has been recalled to New Manticore for consultations with the King.

Thank you sir. Earl White Haven was instrumental in his ability to help us with this proposal. However, such an ambitious agenda as the one we have presented to the World Assembly will take time to properly do. And we are working for success, not for expediency. We are biding our time until the moment is right.

We take it your nation still accepts the role of coauthor?
Sincerely,

Authored:

Co-authored:

Holy Roman Confederate
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Roman Confederate » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:15 am

The HRC fully supports this proposal, and commends the author and coauthor on a fantastic proposal.
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78531
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79073&p=3753933#p3753933

New Maadim
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Maadim » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:16 pm

History tells us that institutional review boards rarely ruled against the interests of the institution, and in fact, usually did not meet at all. Their purpose was mostly to provide an appearance of regulation to those who found such things reassuring.

New Ma'adim researchers generally rely on funding directed by individuals from assessments on personal income, administered by the large nonprofit collectives. Thus it is important for researchers to both comply with the nonprofit board's ethical standards and to avoid practices that would deter public funding of the collective as a whole.

Generally the work that you would set side for IRBs is conducted here in a Wiki style forum, in which experts and the general public are invited to participate. Several but not all of the ethical guidelines that you suggest are shared by the New Ma'adim community at large. Votes for approval held after these discussions are often by acclamation, where no opponents request a vote - otherwise a consensus is required from the liasons from all relevant workgroups (including consumer and environmental workgroups). Though liasons rarely choose to cast a negative vote, abstention (whether by absence or failure to vote) is customarily taken as a polite sign of dissent; thus proposals which nominally pass are often abandoned or reworked, in order to avoid potential fallout from taxpayer funding choices. ~~~~

Manticore Reborn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Manticore Reborn » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:45 am

New Maadim wrote:Generally the work that you would set side for IRBs is conducted here in a Wiki style forum, in which experts and the general public are invited to participate. Several but not all of the ethical guidelines that you suggest are shared by the New Ma'adim community at large. Votes for approval held after these discussions are often by acclamation, where no opponents request a vote - otherwise a consensus is required from the liasons from all relevant workgroups (including consumer and environmental workgroups). Though liasons rarely choose to cast a negative vote, abstention (whether by absence or failure to vote) is customarily taken as a polite sign of dissent; thus proposals which nominally pass are often abandoned or reworked, in order to avoid potential fallout from taxpayer funding choices. ~~~~

There is nothing in this legislation which would make your current system illegal. This proposal does not state how the IRB must be organized, just that one must exist.
Respectfully,

Our National Anthem
Factbook on NSWiki

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives