NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Unmanned Aerial Vehicles [formerly DRONES]

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:52 pm

This definition of "drone" appears that it would include hobbyist RC aircraft. Is that intentional? Personally, I find this whole "OMG IT'S A DROOOONE!!!" hubbub to be utter nonsense, and this draft, so far anyhow, to be utterly purposeless.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:15 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:OOC: I don't mean to argue with a Mod, of course, but I do not believe this to be good advice. For one thing, it's already been mentioned that it's a completely unnatural way of writing legislation. For another thing, I doubt that most regulars even follow that advice themselves (heck, some regulars have admitted that they don't follow that advice!). Finally, if you have a really good idea for a resolution but aren't quite sure which category to put it in, wouldn't it be better to post a draft here rather than to leave it tucked away because of supposed "shoehorning"?

True, it is better. We do want players to post their drafts here. Writing without a category is all right, however, it doesn't mean the draft will actually belong in one category. There is always the potential for it to overlap. By confining the focus, category overlap can be avoided.

OOC: Makes sense to me. I do wish the advice wasn't parroted nearly as much, however.

IC: Fairburn: Eh, what's this?

Neville: A proposal merely titled 'DRONES'.

Fairburn: It's in all-caps? It must be important. (reads draft) Scratch that. It's not important.

Neville: It's not that bad.

Fairburn: Ah, yes, the greats of WA legislation. Charter of Civil Rights, Restrictions on Child Labor, The Prisoners of War Accord...DRONES.

Neville: (sighs) We suggest that this proposal's title is modified.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Droomeristan
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Droomeristan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:19 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
Kryozerkia wrote:True, it is better. We do want players to post their drafts here. Writing without a category is all right, however, it doesn't mean the draft will actually belong in one category. There is always the potential for it to overlap. By confining the focus, category overlap can be avoided.

OOC: Makes sense to me. I do wish the advice wasn't parroted nearly as much, however.

IC: Fairburn: Eh, what's this?

Neville: A proposal merely titled 'DRONES'.

Fairburn: It's in all-caps? It must be important. (reads draft) Scratch that. It's not important.

Neville: It's not that bad.

Fairburn: Ah, yes, the greats of WA legislation. Charter of Civil Rights, Restrictions on Child Labor, The Prisoners of War Accord...DRONES.

Neville: (sighs) We suggest that this proposal's title is modified.

Yes, the title revision committee is scheduled to meet again soon and will put forth its changes. The title "Defining Drones" had to be changed due to the nature of this draft no longer merely defining.
Last edited by Droomeristan on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Droomeristan
"I never murdered the Building Commissioner." ~Samuel Grandega
WA Member

Droomeristan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Droomeristan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:49 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:This definition of "drone" appears that it would include hobbyist RC aircraft. Is that intentional? Personally, I find this whole "OMG IT'S A DROOOONE!!!" hubbub to be utter nonsense, and this draft, so far anyhow, to be utterly purposeless.

Will clarify drone as "unmanned aerial vehicle", see definition:

A UAV is defined as a "powered, aerial vehicle that does not carry a human operator, uses aerodynamic forces to provide vehicle lift, can fly autonomously or be piloted remotely, can be expendable or recoverable, and can carry a lethal or nonlethal payload"
Droomeristan
WA Member

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:57 pm

"How does GAR#34 not cover the target legislative area here?"

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Droomeristan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Droomeristan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:20 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"How does GAR#34 not cover the target legislative area here?"

Because there is not necessarily transport of persons or cargo.
Droomeristan
WA Member

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:33 pm

Droomeristan wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"How does GAR#34 not cover the target legislative area here?"

Because there is not necessarily transport of persons or cargo.

2) CHARGES the ITSC to enact regulations pertaining to the safety, communications, markings & signals, distress signals, loading limits, emergency protocols, the provision of life saving equipment, mechanical inspection protocol, standards of accident investigation, and search & rescue procedures for international shipping, aviation, and railways

"Drones fly. Ergo, they fall under aviation, which means nations have access, if nothing else, to a system of statutory regulations that no doubt define them. Even if they didn't, a system of definitions in the absence of legislative action is pointless."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Droomeristan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Droomeristan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:46 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Droomeristan wrote:Because there is not necessarily transport of persons or cargo.

2) CHARGES the ITSC to enact regulations pertaining to the safety, communications, markings & signals, distress signals, loading limits, emergency protocols, the provision of life saving equipment, mechanical inspection protocol, standards of accident investigation, and search & rescue procedures for international shipping, aviation, and railways

"Drones fly. Ergo, they fall under aviation, which means nations have access, if nothing else, to a system of statutory regulations that no doubt define them. Even if they didn't, a system of definitions in the absence of legislative action is pointless."

Legislation is being written into the resolution. Drones pose a unique risk and interest because they are so easily accessible.
Droomeristan
WA Member

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Droomeristan wrote:

Legislation is being written into the resolution. Drones pose a unique risk and interest because they are so easily accessible.

"Even if they did, which I cannot agree with, they are still aviation, and therefore covered under extant law."

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:30 am

Droomeristan wrote:
Calladan wrote:
There might be a specific reason you left this out, but there appears to be a lack of definition for government and (more specifically) military drones. Was that deliberate?

Ah, yes. Military drones were specifically excluded because they constitute a whole other classification issue (I use the world "classification" in terms of taxonomical, not sensitivity). Regulating private enterprise and private ownership is much easier to do on a broad scale than impeding and trying to regulate individual member nations' military programs. And, with there being a plethora of military-related resolutions already, we believe that those rules of engagement and other military and war-rules will have sufficient control of military drones. While there are no resolutions regarding military drones, all the resolutions regarding military rules and actions will logically extend to drones and drone use in a military capacity will be regulated by them.

So, short answer, no military drones will be affected or targeted by this resolution.

However, there in the future may become the issue of a private drone company contracting with governments to use their drones for military purposes, and in that case, how to classify that drone? As a private company's drone and regulate it as such? Or as a military drone and let the military rules affect it? Droomeristan is not too concerned with that distinction at this point.

Would you be surprised to learn that a quick search of "Passed GA Resolutions" returned the following :-

drone : 0 results
drones : 0 results
flight : 2 results (one to do with "flight risks" and the other to do with international trade.
unmanned : 0 results

I am not doubting your answer - just providing some background as to why I asked the question. because it appeared that there are no resolutions dealing with drones/unmanned vehicles.

And while I can understand the supposition that "all resolutions regarding military rules will extend to drone use" and that "drone use in a military capacity will be regulated by them", I am not entirely convinced that that is true.

However I will accept it at face value, at least for now.
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

Calladan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:34 am

Droomeristan wrote:Legislation is being written into the resolution. Drones pose a unique risk and interest because they are so easily accessible.

"Even if they did, which I cannot agree with, they are still aviation, and therefore covered under extant law."

I have to agree - if military drones are covered under existing military laws, why are civilian drones not covered under existing civilian laws?
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

Droomeristan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Droomeristan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:19 am

Droomeristan wrote:Legislation is being written into the resolution. Drones pose a unique risk and interest because they are so easily accessible.

But they are not aviation at the same time. Because of their small size and low flight, they can be absent from radar technology and to the naked eye, and therefore would be hard to monitor using standard aviation technology.
Droomeristan
WA Member

Calladan
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:43 am

Droomeristan wrote:

But they are not aviation at the same time. Because of their small size and low flight, they can be absent from radar technology and to the naked eye, and therefore would be hard to monitor using standard aviation technology.

But couldn't the same be said of RC helicopters? And if you fit out an RC copter with a camera, what differentiates it from a drone/UAV?

I am not trying to be difficult (trust me - if I were trying, I would be WAY better at it :p ) but I think whatever definition you find that classifies it as something OTHER than aviation related, you will find RC copters/planes/pterodactyls will fall into that definition as well.

Kilimantonian
Attaché

Founded: May 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kilimantonian » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:16 am

"I do believe this resolution would be a good addition to the current legislation regarding aircraft. Regarding Ambassador Bell's reservations on contradiction or duplication with GAR #34 and #342, it appears that these are specifically aimed towards manned aerial vehicles. Thus, I believe a resolution is required to clear up any confusion regarding the operation of UAVs, and also how their operation over international airspace must be conducted. Nevertheless, I have some suggestions as to what might be added to this draft.

1. Requirements or qualifications for UAV operators
    2. Legislation on UAV operation in international airspace
    3. Clarification regarding RC planes, helicopters etc. and possible exclusion from this legislation
    4. Lower and upper payload limits that determine how qualified the operator must be, and whether civilian operators are allowed to possess them

Other than that, I believe this resolution could really go somewhere... of course, we will also have to find a suitable category and strength."
Last edited by Kilimantonian on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
WA debater/ambassador is Jimmy H. Franklin

Wrapper wrote:Are you sure that word means what you think it means?
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:Dammit, you couldn't have let me have that shit the first time around???
Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member.
- Groucho Marx

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:26 am

Droomeristan wrote:And the Civilian Aircraft Accord seems to apply to specifically the "transportation of civilians." Drones are not related to that in any way as no beings are being transported within the aircraft.

"Are there?" Schultz, who always seems to somehow be in the same spot, watching from the corner of the room, asks. "On Reckoner we have unmanned civilian transport aircraft. They counts as UAVs by your definition, and are covered by Civilian Aircraft Accord."

Blackbourne, who has since entered the room, states, "Pardon me, but before I can express support of this resolution, I must know why you consider this to be an international issue meriting WA legislation."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:35 am

Droomeristan wrote:

"That does not make them any less "civilian aviation" for the purposes of law. It just makes them different in size."

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:56 am

Droomeristan wrote:But they are not aviation at the same time. Because of their small size and low flight, they can be absent from radar technology and to the naked eye, and therefore would be hard to monitor using standard aviation technology.

"That does not make them any less "civilian aviation" for the purposes of law. It just makes them different in size."

Schultz loses her very short mental battle to maintain her dignity, and gives in to her urge to comment. "Hey, size matters."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:09 pm

Teran Saber: "The Confederacy finds issue with one of the assertions and two of the resolution clauses of this proposal. To break it down:"

Convinced that non-military UAVs pose an international threat to air space use of individual nations and a potential breach of privacy to nations and their citizens,

"Most WA member nations already have laws protecting the privacy of their citizens and national security. This is a non-issue and legislation that specifically restricts UAVs in this regard is redundant and unnecessary. I'm sure tacking an additional charge on top of a violation of privacy simply because the culprit used a drone to commit the crime would seem silly if you give it some thought."

Appeals member nations to create a licensing and registration system for UAVs and their owners/operators,

"Many nations have their own model aviation associations that represent UAV operator communities. These associations have guidelines regarding placing identification info, such as a name and contact info, somewhere on the airframe of the UAV. As for requiring a license, your definitions are broad enough that a toy RC multicopter counts as a UAV. Would children have to be licensed too? Because that would be ridiculous."

Requires all member nations to adhere to and adopt these definitions for use in any relevant legislation pertaining to non-military UAVs,

"Again, these definitions are incredibly broad. Under them, anything operated via remote or autonomous control that has the potential to take off the ground under its own power is considered the same, from a small toy indoor RC helicopter to the largest unmanned SSTO cargo shuttles. Because of this, it is possible to, either accidentally or intentionally, completely ban the former via legislation for the latter."

"As a result, the Greater Siriusian Domain cannot support this proposal as written. Furthermore, we cannot see how this is an international issue, as some nations have not reached the necessary level of technology to even bother with this, while others find conventional UAVs to be completely obsolete."
Last edited by The Greater Siriusian Domain on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:26 pm

IIRC, Kaboom wanted to do something along this line some time ago. Would be beneficial to look at his attempt.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:17 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:IIRC, Kaboom wanted to do something along this line some time ago. Would be beneficial to look at his attempt.

I'll see if I can dig it up for OP. I completely forgot about it until you reminded me; haven't touched that draft in a year.

It might be unusable, though. I didn't do much on it before dropping it for my mercury draft.

EDIT: Found it, but the draft is terrible. Trust me, you don't want to use it.
Last edited by Kaboomlandia on Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly