NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Museums of Musical Heritage (MoMH)

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Museums of Musical Heritage (MoMH)

Postby Serrland » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:32 am

Draft 3.0

Strength - mild. Catagory: Cultural Heritage

NOTING that music is often an integral part of a nation's culture,

AWARE that music evolves and changes,

FURTHER NOTING that the preservation of music (both past and present) for future generations is a worthy venture,

RECOGNIZING that an understanding of a nation's music and musical heritage can lead to better appreciation and understanding of said nation's culture,

SUGGESTING that greater understanding of a nation's culture facilitates a greater exchange of art and ideas

HEREBY

ESTABLISHES the Museums of Musical Heritage (MoMH), an association of museums working in cohesion,

DESIGNATES the MoMH as a partnership of museums and institutions dedicated to the compilation, organization, and presentation of music and music related materials, including but not limited to recordings, sheet music, lyrics, and musical instruments,

CREATES the MoMH Database (MoMHD) as an online companion to the MoMH, where musical recordings, sheet music, and documents regarding music can be easily accessed by interested parties, be they in government, academia, or otherwise interested in music. This is to be accessible via the internet or by computer labs at the various MOMH facilities,

REQUESTS WITH EARNEST that nations, musicians, composers, recording studios, and music publishing companies donate, lend, share, or otherwise make available the aforementioned materials to the MoMH. While voluntary donations are strongly suggested, pecuniary compensation (if necessary) will be arranged by an impartial arbitrator,

SUGGESTS that nations make access to MoMH facilities and/or MoMHD readily available

FURTHER SUGGESTS that nations work alongside scholars and researchers at MoMH facilities on matters of research and study of the cultural impact of music, musical tradition, and musical heritage.

Draft 2.0:
NOTING that music is often an integral part of a nation's culture,

FURTHER NOTING that the preservation of music (both past and present) for future generations is a worthy venture,

RECOGNIZING that an understanding of a nation's music and musical heritage can lead to better appreciation and understanding of said nation's culture,

SUGGESTING that greater understanding of a nation's culture facilitates a greater exchange of art and ideas

HEREBY

ESTABLISHES the Museums of Musical Heritage (MoMH), an association of museums working in cohesion,

DESIGNATES the MoMH as a museum a partnership of museums and institutions dedicated to the compilation, organization, and presentation of music and music related materials, including but not limited to recordings, sheet music, lyrics, and musical instruments,

CREATES the MoMH Database (MoMHD) as an online companion to the MoMH, where musical recordings, sheet music, and documents regarding music can be easily accessed by interested parties, be they in government, academia, or otherwise interested in music. This is to be accessible via the internet or by computer labs at the various MOMH facilities,

REQUESTS WITH EARNEST that nations, musicians, composers, recording studios, and music publishing companies donate, lend, share, or otherwise make available the aforementioned materials to the MoMH. While voluntary donations are strongly suggested, pecuniary compensation (if necessary) will be arranged by an impartial arbitrator,

SUGGESTS that nations make access to MoMH facilities and/or MoMHD readily available

FURTHER SUGGESTS that nations work alongside scholars and researchers at MoMH facilities on matters of research and study of the cultural impact of music, musical tradition, and musical heritage.

Draft 1.0 (with changes):
NOTING that music* is often an integral part of a nation's culture,

HEREBY

ESTABLISHES the Museum of Musical Heritage (MoMH),

DESIGNATES the MoMH as a museum dedicated to the compilation, organization, and presentation of music and music related materials, including but not limited to recordings, sheet music, lyrics, and musical instruments,

CREATES the MoMH Database (MoMHD) as an online companion to the MoMH, where musical recordings, sheet music, and documents regarding music can be easily accessed

REQUESTS WITH EARNEST that nations nations, musicians, composers, recording studios, and music publishing companies donate, lend, share, or otherwise make available the aforementioned materials to the MoMH

URGES nations donate, lend, share or otherwise make available the aforementioned materials to the MoMH

SUGGESTS that nations make access to the MoMH and/or MoMHD readily available

WELCOMES nations to promote the MoMH and the study of music as an important aspect of a nation's culture
FURTHER SUGGESTS that nations work alongside the MoMH on matters of research and study of the cultural impact of music/musical tradition/musical heritage
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:59 am, edited 17 times in total.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:48 am

The honoured ambassador to Charlotte Ryberg thinks this may already be covered under the ULC, but I think this may call for more than just an archive of music: in fact, a World Museum

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:54 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:The honoured ambassador to Charlotte Ryberg thinks this may already be covered under the ULC, but I think this may call for more than just an archive of music: in fact, a World Museum

A museum would be a very good idea. As for it being covered by the ULC, the quote below is from that resolution, and it is mum on the matter of music, referring to "written word," although it's open to interpretation as to whether or not music is included.

CALLS for the formation of a Universal Library Coalition (ULC). The Universal Library provided by the ULC will be internet-based and may archive any published form of the written word including, but not limited to, fiction and nonfiction books, constitutions and laws from around the world, newspapers, magazines, and professional journals. The library will be indexed at minimum by author, title, nation of origin, keywords, and category, such as biography or periodical, as determined by the publisher.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:39 pm

A strict interpretation of that clause would be that it is limit to the written language. It's only items that would normally be considered publications and the like.

A more liberal interpretation could include lyrics. Lyrics could be classified as a type of poetry. Under that description it could fit into the clause. However, even if lyrics were classified under this interpretation, the actual audio of the music wouldn't. The audio aspect of music isn't preserved. The sheet music, likewise, under this definition, probably wouldn't be either.

The other problem if it is assumed this could cover music, is that not all music contains lyrics.

If we accept the interpretation that it doesn't cover lyrics (which are an extension of music), then it would be fair to allow a proposal that seeks to preserve the colourful musical heritage of the World Assembly.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

FBrushfire
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby FBrushfire » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:45 pm

@above: I think that instrumental uses are much more important than lyrics when it comes to music. Along with the tone of voice and how the music is sung. This proposal seems fair.

I support it, if only because of a personal bias that I consider music important.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:50 pm

FBrushfire wrote:@above: I think that instrumental uses are much more important than lyrics when it comes to music. Along with the tone of voice and how the music is sung. This proposal seems fair.

I support it, if only because of a personal bias that I consider music important.

Surely the good ambassador is familiar with the A Capella style of music, which is singing without the accompaniment of instruments. In which case, lyrics (as well as the innate talent of the singer(s)) are more important.
Problem to Report?

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

FBrushfire
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby FBrushfire » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:39 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:
FBrushfire wrote:@above: I think that instrumental uses are much more important than lyrics when it comes to music. Along with the tone of voice and how the music is sung. This proposal seems fair.

Surely the good ambassador is familiar with the A Capella style of music, which is singing without the accompaniment of instruments. In which case, lyrics (as well as the innate talent of the singer(s)) are more important.

As you said, the talent of the singer(s) are still considered important- something that cannot be achieved in written format. Either way, each to his own. Despite this, it's important that we consider all genres of music, A Capella included when thinking of this. If mainstream music in our fictional nations is anywhere near as popular as it is in real life, then there should be somewhat of a demand for this.

Skibereen
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skibereen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:03 pm

If this were to include an Audio Archive as well we would most definitely support it.

I yield.
argumentum ad logicam, seriously think about it.

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."
James Madison
First in line for the pie in the sky

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Alright, there seems to be sufficient interest in this. I'll try to get a draft up within 24 hours.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:40 am

Kryozerkia wrote:A strict interpretation of that clause would be that it is limit to the written language. It's only items that would normally be considered publications and the like.

A more liberal interpretation could include lyrics. Lyrics could be classified as a type of poetry. Under that description it could fit into the clause. However, even if lyrics were classified under this interpretation, the actual audio of the music wouldn't. The audio aspect of music isn't preserved. The sheet music, likewise, under this definition, probably wouldn't be either.

The other problem if it is assumed this could cover music, is that not all music contains lyrics.

If we accept the interpretation that it doesn't cover lyrics (which are an extension of music), then it would be fair to allow a proposal that seeks to preserve the colourful musical heritage of the World Assembly.

As the author of the ULC resolution, it wasn't my intention to archive musical scores/etc. on a piece by piece basis. However, if there was an archive/anthology published containing scores from a given nation/individual/etc., that would likely qualify if a nation wanted to submit that sort of thing. (especially if there was written text detailing the creation of a piece or general history on the evolution of the music contained within the anthology)

While I do support the general concept of spreading music around the world, I fear possible issues with it being too specific to appeal to the WA/GA as a whole. However, I look forward to reading the first draft of the proposed legislation.

Best wishes on your future authorship,
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Chkautovistan
Civilian

Founded: Feb 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chkautovistan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:09 am

Serrland wrote:Before the Serri delegation crafts a draft, it would like to know if there is any interest in creating a Library of Musical Heritage. It would be akin to the ULC (Universal Library Coalition), except it would deal with the compiling of musical scores, recordings of music, and perhaps even the collection of musical instruments from WA member nations. Donations would be purely voluntary.

If there is interest (or even interest in seeing a rough draft), the Serri delegation will begin writing a rough draft shortly, which will be submitted for debate on the floor of the fine Assembly.

The Kingdom of Chkautovistan approves of the musical library and would urge other countries to do the same. :clap:

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:20 pm

The OP has been edited, and now contains the first draft of the MoMH. I look forward to hearing your criticisms, comments, and suggestions on the matter.

Skibereen
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skibereen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:14 pm

Serrland wrote:* I was hoping to avoid trying to define music. Do the other delegations of the WA deem it necessary to do such?

I think not defining it lends to broad stroke of preserving individual cultures...after all Music is art and that is very difficult to quantify from one person to the next, so it should be what each nations donates/contributes that determines what "Music" is relative to that nation...glad you didnt define it.

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."
James Madison

Freeoplis
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Freeoplis » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:34 am

After much thought and National debate on the issue at hand this delegation finds it difficult to justify these types of proposals. International museums, collections and libraries pooling together whether it be world history, music or literature seems to be an unnecessary expenditure of WA funds and more importantly taxpayer funds. We are still undecided and instead will await further debate.
The Republic of Freeoplis
Region of Absolution

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:15 am

Serrland wrote:This is a very rough draft, and I'm sure it will be edited quite a bit before (if) it reaches submission. Comments, criticism, or questions are appreciated.

HEREBY

DESIGNATES the MoMH as a museum dedicated to the compilation, organization, and presentation of music and music related materials, including but not limited to recordings, sheet music, lyrics, and musical instruments,

REQUESTS WITH EARNEST that nations donate, lend, share, or otherwise make available the aforementioned materials** to the MoMH

WELCOMES nations to promote the MoMH and the study of music as an important aspect of a nation's culture

* I was hoping to avoid trying to define music. Do the other delegations of the WA deem it necessary to do such?

** This sentence is awkward, but I'm unsure how to phrase it better. Suggestions are welcome!

Might I suggest that it be re-written as:

URGES nations donate, lend, share or otherwise make available the aforementioned materials to the MoMH;
Problem to Report?

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:26 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:
Serrland wrote:This is a very rough draft, and I'm sure it will be edited quite a bit before (if) it reaches submission. Comments, criticism, or questions are appreciated.

HEREBY

REQUESTS WITH EARNEST that nations donate, lend, share, or otherwise make available the aforementioned materials** to the MoMH

* I was hoping to avoid trying to define music. Do the other delegations of the WA deem it necessary to do such?

** This sentence is awkward, but I'm unsure how to phrase it better. Suggestions are welcome!

Might I suggest that it be re-written as:

URGES nations donate, lend, share or otherwise make available the aforementioned materials to the MoMH;

That certainly seems better and more precise. Thanks for the advice!

Skibereen
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Skibereen » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:48 pm

Freeoplis wrote:After much thought and National debate on the issue at hand this delegation finds it difficult to justify these types of proposals. International museums, collections and libraries pooling together whether it be world history, music or literature seems to be an unnecessary expenditure of WA funds and more importantly taxpayer funds. We are still undecided and instead will await further debate.

Honorable Delegate,
As education and cultural diversity are sacred to the peoples of Skibereen, I have been authorized to offer that the republic will absorb five percent of the operating costs of the museum.

I yield.

James Madison

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004

Postby Tzorsland » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:Surely the good ambassador is familiar with the A Capella style of music, which is singing without the accompaniment of instruments. In which case, lyrics (as well as the innate talent of the singer(s)) are more important.

A Capella music still requires the singing of specific notes It is not the same as patter, recitative, or rap. In fact any A Capella barbershopper will tell you the notes are everything and a good barbershopper will tell you that the tight close non tempered harmonies are what makes the "ring" or the "fifth voice." The words themselves are not all that important.

Yes if we could get away with singing "My wild Irish rose" on "ooo" we would. Thus the music score is important for A Capella as it is for instrumental singing; the human voice is a musical instrument. For the record, there is one song in the repertoire that we can't legally print the lyrics to. The song's name is "Happy Birthday." The lyrics we had to put in our offical sheet music for the members is

Another year's come
Another year's gone
May you live on forever
May you go on and on.

Have a happy day
Have a happy day
May you live on forever
Have a happy day.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Freeoplis
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Freeoplis » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:14 pm

Skibereen wrote:As education and cultural diversity are sacred to the peoples of Skibereen, I have been authorized to offer that the republic will absorb five percent of the operating costs of the museum.

We thank the Honorable Ambassador for his generosity and can confirm as such are closer to agreeing with the said proposal.
The Republic of Freeoplis
Region of Absolution

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:01 pm

Freeoplis wrote:
Skibereen wrote:As education and cultural diversity are sacred to the peoples of Skibereen, I have been authorized to offer that the republic will absorb five percent of the operating costs of the museum.

We thank the Honorable Ambassador for his generosity and can confirm as such are closer to agreeing with the said proposal.

Serrland is glad that the honorable delegation from Freeopolis is moving closer to support. Undoubtedly, many other nations will match Skibereen's offer. One might even assume that the gnomes that govern the WA General Fund will be involved, too, and rumour has it that gnomish music is raucous and very delightful.

Scriptless
Attaché

Founded: Feb 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scriptless » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:23 am

The United Socialist Systems of Scriptless, while unwilling to pay for a percentage of the museum's upkeep, as this could potentially mean paying say 5% of the upkeep, development, ect, of all the MoHM's for every nation in the world, which world be extraordinarily expensive, is totally in support of this legislature.

Futhermore, we shall encourage the various music related charities in our nation to donate to the upkeep & development, ect, of the various MoHM's that may arise.
Last edited by Scriptless on Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rest in peace USSS Rear Admiral Raymond Jones.
Your sacrifice will never be forgotten.

USSS Announces Plans To Build A Dyson Sphere

North Suran wrote:And "doing something against the mafias"? Putin's a gangster. Over here, we'd call that a turf war.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:33 pm

Scriptless wrote:The United Socialist Systems of Scriptless, while unwilling to pay for a percentage of the museum's upkeep, as this could potentially mean paying say 5% of the upkeep, development, ect, of all the MoHM's for every nation in the world, which world be extraordinarily expensive ...

I also presume that, even with the offer of funding from the ambassador of Skibereen, I would think that this proposal would be funded through the WA General Fund. Certainly, if Skibereen is willing to fund 5% of this project, that would be taken into account. However, I don't think that the nation of Scriptless (or Mousebumples or ... any other WA nation) would be expected to be personally responsible for a matching percentage (i.e. 5%) or other predetermined amount, unless they offer to contribute that sort of funding.

And now for some comments on the draft presented for this body's consideration,
Serrland wrote:ESTABLISHES the Museum of Musical Heritage (MoMH),

From my past experience with the ULC (and other library-related proposals), I'd probably recommend *not* establishing one physical museum through your proposal. I think that making musical recordings available through the ULC (or an off-shoot) would be great; creating a Musical Exchange Network (etc. - similar to the ULEN) would be a great idea; detailing the archival of sheet music, etc. in the ULC - all great ideas.

However, I fear that by trying to create a single library will lead to a number of problems/concerns. Where will this Museum be located? Why there and not in a different location? Also, by having only a single physical museum (especially when many NS nations exist on different planes/time periods/etc.) it will limit the number of individuals who are able to access that information.

Alternatively, it may make sense to suggest (not require) that individual nations create their MoMH's for their own nation's musical history. However, a WA-wide MoMH seems impractical, to me, from a logistics standpoint.

Serrland wrote:DESIGNATES the MoMH as a museum dedicated to the compilation, organization, and presentation of music and music related materials, including but not limited to recordings, sheet music, lyrics, and musical instruments,

Most of this could (minus the instrument section) be included in an "online library archive," of sorts. Additionally, would you want to include a section encouraging nations or private individuals to create anthologies/histories detailing the creation and development of their nation's popular music, musical genres, and/or details of the creation of individual songs? Absolutely not essential, but I believe that would add to the idea of allowing future generations to have a better understanding of musical history.

Serrland wrote:URGES nations donate, lend, share or otherwise make available the aforementioned materials to the MoMH

Do you want to detail any funding/reimbursement details for still copyrighted musical recordings? Not all of those items (which would be great additions to the MoMH) may be owned by a given nation and would otherwise not be eligible to be contributed, I wouldn't think. At the very least, my nation's recording artists would be quite displeased with my government should we dare to make such an action without first consulting them and reimbursing them for their intellectual property.

Serrland wrote:WELCOMES nations to promote the MoMH and the study of music as an important aspect of a nation's culture

What does this clause even *do* ? It seems mostly irrelevant to me.

I'm encouraged by the first draft on this subject, and I look forward to seeing what further revisions may be in store.

Best wishes,
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:38 am

Thank everyone for the comments. Draft version 2.0 is now updated.

Moosebumples: I tried to incorporate your criticisms/suggestions into the update draft. I hope it is more to your liking than the original.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:30 pm

Any suggestions on Category/Strength?

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:35 pm

We would suggest removing the * in the first line.

Yours etc.,
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives