NATION

PASSWORD

[Closed] Nuclear Non-proliferation Act.

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The Canadian North-West
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

[Closed] Nuclear Non-proliferation Act.

Postby The Canadian North-West » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:47 am

Category: Global Disarmament
Strength: Significant

Due to the recent repealing of the Nuclear Arms Protocol Act, the World Assembly, if this bill were to pass, hereby:

DEFINES nuclear weapons as any weapon which releases radioactive fallout as the result of it's usage.

DEFINES nuclear warfare as any conflict which results in the exchange of nuclear weapons.

RECOGNIZES the importance of Nuclear Warfare in our modern age.

REALIZES that smaller nations will be at an inherent disadvantage in any wars which involve nuclear weapons.

RESTRICTS the construction of future nuclear warheads.

ENCOURAGES the research and development of Nuclear Countermeasures.

and ENCOURAGES future resolutions dealing with Nuclear Disarmament.
Last edited by The Canadian North-West on Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MT Factbook
FT Factbook
Both are heavy WiP
Bi, Demsoc/Socdem, Technocrat, Otaku, part-time Furry, and aspiring Astrobiologist

If you don't want to type out my whole name, CNW or Canafa work just as well.
Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:53 am

May well need to try and repeal this first.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

The Canadian North-West
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Canadian North-West » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:57 am

Grays Harbor wrote:May well need to try and repeal this first.

I might. Nothing in my resolution directly conflicts that one, but yeah, it might not hurt to do so.
MT Factbook
FT Factbook
Both are heavy WiP
Bi, Demsoc/Socdem, Technocrat, Otaku, part-time Furry, and aspiring Astrobiologist

Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:05 pm

The Canadian North-West wrote:
Grays Harbor wrote:May well need to try and repeal this first.

I might. Nothing in my resolution directly conflicts that one, but yeah, it might not hurt to do so.

Pretty much everything in your draft is a contradiction. And pkease, do try and repeal NAPA. We are nearing the 100th repeal attempt.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

The Canadian North-West
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Canadian North-West » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:16 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
The Canadian North-West wrote:I might. Nothing in my resolution directly conflicts that one, but yeah, it might not hurt to do so.

Pretty much everything in your draft is a contradiction. And pkease, do try and repeal NAPA. We are nearing the 100th repeal attempt.

Alright. Should I take this one down, and post it again once the NAPA has been repealed?
MT Factbook
FT Factbook
Both are heavy WiP

Umeria
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:25 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
The Canadian North-West wrote:I might. Nothing in my resolution directly conflicts that one, but yeah, it might not hurt to do so.

Some NAPA repeal hooks, to get you started:
REALIZING that WA members are outnumbered by non members by about 3 to 1,

This is outdated. We are now outnumbered by about 6 to 1.
REALIZING that the WA members need to be able to defend themselves if attacked,

This never mentions nuclear attacks, and could be interpreted to mean all attacks.
DECLARES that WA members are allowed to possess nuclear weapons to defend themselves from hostile nations,

Notice how it doesn't mention that it should only be against non-member nations that also posses nuclear weapons. The "hostile nation" phrasing is very vague.
PRESERVES the right for individual nations to decide if they want to possess nuclear weapons,

Notice also how it says "want", not "should" or "need". Wanting something sometimes has nothing to do with it being a necessity.
REQUIRES that any nation choosing to possess nuclear weapons take every available precaution to ensure that their weapons do not fall into the wrong hands.

The "wrong hands" term is very vague and could be interpreted to mean "the non-member nations that don't have nukes but are attacking us, which we shall, with our nukes, burn to the ground".

Good luck.
Ambassador Anthony Lockwood, at your service.
Author of GAR #389

"Umeria - We start with U"

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:20 pm

A repeal of NAPA is not relevant to this discussion, as nothing in this proposal contradicts it. Incidentally this proposal has nothing to do with proliferation either.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Umeria
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Umeria » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:44 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:A repeal of NAPA is not relevant to this discussion, as nothing in this proposal contradicts it. Incidentally this proposal has nothing to do with proliferation either.

True but I suspect the author is going to add new material to this proposal, as there is presently only one operative clause:
The Canadian North-West wrote:RESTRICTS the construction of future nuclear warheads.
Last edited by Umeria on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Anthony Lockwood, at your service.
Author of GAR #389

"Umeria - We start with U"

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly