NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Nationalisation Convention

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:00 pm

Linux and the X wrote:Would this prohibit terminating legal recognition of a corporate entity, thereby causing the property it formerly held to become ownerless and escheat to the people?

Clause 3. Due process.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:13 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:Would this prohibit terminating legal recognition of a corporate entity, thereby causing the property it formerly held to become ownerless and escheat to the people?

Clause 3. Due process.

Revocation of a corporate charter is not nationalisation.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Clause 3. Due process.

Revocation of a corporate charter is not nationalisation.

Then it isn't a problem then? If your laws state that properties and assets held are then distributed to the people, then that isn't nationalisation. However, I am unfamiliar with corporation law.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:42 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:Revocation of a corporate charter is not nationalisation.

Then it isn't a problem then? If your laws state that properties and assets held are then distributed to the people, then that isn't nationalisation. However, I am unfamiliar with corporation law.

That seems like a useful loophole, then.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:57 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Then it isn't a problem then? If your laws state that properties and assets held are then distributed to the people, then that isn't nationalisation. However, I am unfamiliar with corporation law.

That seems like a useful loophole, then.

That wouldn't be a loophole because it would dissolve the corporation back into private ownership of its components. Having just read up on my corporation law — the people who owned the corporation's shares and to whom the corporation owes their shares. Naturally, if you have your laws set up stupid, there's nothing that can much be done anyway. This proposal attempts to deal with arbitrary seizures and the creation of barriers to immediate seizure. If you set up your economy such that it is open to investment, this proposal would put up barriers towards seizure of those investments by force.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:24 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:That seems like a useful loophole, then.

That wouldn't be a loophole because it would dissolve the corporation back into private ownership of its components. Having just read up on my corporation law — the people who owned the corporation's shares and to whom the corporation owes their shares. Naturally, if you have your laws set up stupid, there's nothing that can much be done anyway. This proposal attempts to deal with arbitrary seizures and the creation of barriers to immediate seizure. If you set up your economy such that it is open to investment, this proposal would put up barriers towards seizure of those investments by force.

It certainly is a loophole. The corporation owning the assets to be nationalised can simply be terminated (which itself isn't nationalisation), and those assets (which no longer have an owner) escheated. The result is the same, but it doesn't actually interact with this proposal.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:29 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:That wouldn't be a loophole because it would dissolve the corporation back into private ownership of its components. Having just read up on my corporation law — the people who owned the corporation's shares and to whom the corporation owes their shares. Naturally, if you have your laws set up stupid, there's nothing that can much be done anyway. This proposal attempts to deal with arbitrary seizures and the creation of barriers to immediate seizure. If you set up your economy such that it is open to investment, this proposal would put up barriers towards seizure of those investments by force.

It certainly is a loophole. The corporation owning the assets to be nationalised can simply be terminated (which itself isn't nationalisation), and those assets (which no longer have an owner) escheated. The result is the same, but it doesn't actually interact with this proposal.

I would then tell you (1) that is nationalisation and (2) corporate law says that the revoking a charter leads to the distribution of those assets to the shareholders in the company.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:38 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:It certainly is a loophole. The corporation owning the assets to be nationalised can simply be terminated (which itself isn't nationalisation), and those assets (which no longer have an owner) escheated. The result is the same, but it doesn't actually interact with this proposal.

I would then tell you (1) that is nationalisation and (2) corporate law says that the revoking a charter leads to the distribution of those assets to the shareholders in the company.

It is not nationalisation merely because the end result is the same. Revoking a corporate charter is clearly not nationalisation, and what corporate law does with the assets of a terminated corporation — which is not the same in all member States — is not, either.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:56 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:I would then tell you (1) that is nationalisation and (2) corporate law says that the revoking a charter leads to the distribution of those assets to the shareholders in the company.

It is not nationalisation merely because the end result is the same. Revoking a corporate charter is clearly not nationalisation, and what corporate law does with the assets of a terminated corporation — which is not the same in all member States — is not, either.

Parsons: That argument is patently ridiculous. (OOC: This kind of consequence-ignoring pedantry is the same kind of argument that the Simpsons lampooned in The Bob Next Door.) Simply because an action is legal on face does not excuse the perpetrator of doing it. Shooting guns is legal. But if it kills someone it is not. But, it is not murder merely because the end result is the same! Driving cars is obviously legal. But when I drive a car into someone, this logical would say it is not murder merely because the end result is the same.

P: Similarly, when you do something that, under a certain legal structure, will inevitably result in the distribution of assets to the state, then that would be nationalisation. Different corporate legal structures would say different processes for corporations when dissolved. I believe that in most nations (OOC: and most nations on Earth), the assets are distributed to shareholders. The remaining privatised nature of those assets is not nationalisation (i.e. the state ends up in control of the assets).

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:05 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:(OOC: This kind of consequence-ignoring pedantry is the same kind of argument that the Simpsons lampooned in The Bob Next Door.)

Have you forgotten where you are? The Festering Snakepit is built on pedantry.

Similarly, when you do something that, under a certain legal structure, will inevitably result in the distribution of assets to the state, then that would be nationalisation.

Fair enough. We'll use a less fun loophole, then.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:24 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Driving cars is obviously legal. But when I drive a car into someone, this logical would say it is not murder merely because the end result is the same.

Off-tangent OOC: Murder charges and especially convictions depend on pre-meditation and intent, so probably a bad example. "Vehicular manslaughter" on the other hand is often judged the same as any act that ends up with you unintentionally killing someone.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:40 am

Well, if you intended to kill him, it's murder. I would say that if you intend to nationalise by abuse of stupidly set up corporate law and 'revoke corporate charters', that's still nationalisation.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:50 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Well, if you intended to kill him, it's murder. I would say that if you intend to nationalise by abuse of stupidly set up corporate law and 'revoke corporate charters', that's still nationalisation.

But if you end up in a situation where the corporation has violated your nation's laws, you're allowed to revoke their charter and then annex their property, since you were applying it as a punishment for lawbreaking, not primarily to get their stuff.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly