NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Outlaw Polygamous Marriage

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:01 pm

We applaud K10 for their due diligence
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

The Walden Estates
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Walden Estates » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:02 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:
The Walden Estates wrote:I think because there was a grammatical error in it (I misspelled disspossessed), and maybe for strength violation? I'm not sure. They're going to post soon.

No, I think you misunderstood the telegram. I was slow to post here after the removal because I was spellchecking my post when I saw your GHR.

Ah got you.
~Prime Minister John Milton Salinger, of the United Federation of the Walden Estates.

"I believe that a man is the strongest soldier for daring to die unarmed. "-Mohatma Ghandi.

Political Compass:
Economic left/right -8.75
Libertarian/anarchist: -8.41
Ghandi was the closest world leader to my position.

Poree
Envoy

Founded: Feb 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Poree » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:06 pm

So in the end, as many representatives had attempted to point out, the proposal was not a legal one?

Sarah Woodman
Representative of The Empire of Poree
Last edited by Poree on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah Woodman
Regional Delegate

The Walden Estates
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Walden Estates » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:11 pm

Poree wrote:So in the end, as many representatives had attempted to point out, the proposal was not a legal one?

Sarah Woodman

Yes, because of a previously unimportant clause of previous ruling, which I wish I had known about sooner... :lol:
~Prime Minister John Milton Salinger, of the United Federation of the Walden Estates.

"I believe that a man is the strongest soldier for daring to die unarmed. "-Mohatma Ghandi.

Political Compass:

The Walden Estates
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Walden Estates » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:12 pm

The Walden Estates wrote:
Poree wrote:So in the end, as many representatives had attempted to point out, the proposal was not a legal one?

Sarah Woodman

Yes, because of a previously unimportant clause of previous ruling, which I wish I had known about sooner... :lol:

I concede to the judicial wisdom of Kryozerkia! :bow:

Political Compass:

Poree
Envoy

Founded: Feb 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Poree » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:13 pm

Sarah Woodman

Well I learned a lot reading this debate. :)
Sarah Woodman
Regional Delegate

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:16 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:This and the other clause imply that the number of persons to a union is left to the member state, which could be two or more, or none if marriage is non-existent.

And this is the way it should remain.

OOC: Thanx K10, for the Ruling. I know you speak strictly about (il)legalities. I recognize I am quoting a Mod Ruling to base a SP's personal opinion, and that is not necessarily your personal opinion.

IC: Yours,
Last edited by Sionis Prioratus on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

The Walden Estates
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Walden Estates » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:23 pm

This brings up an important question: if moderation did not notice the illegality of this proposal until it was pointed out to them by the honorable ambassador from Sionis Prioratus, how many other proposals have gone to vote and actually been passed that have similar contradictions? We recognize that although moderation does an excellent job at catching illegalities and are to be applauded for such diligent work, they are not omnipotent.

And does this mean ever proposal should have as diligent opposition as this one did, so as to increase the probability of finding an illegality and thus making WA law better?
Last edited by The Walden Estates on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Political Compass:

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:27 pm

The Walden Estates wrote:This brings up an important question: if moderation did not notice the illegality of this proposal until it was pointed out to them by the honorable ambassador from Sionis Prioratus, how many other proposals have gone to vote and actually been passed that have similar contradictions? We recognize that although moderation does an excellent job at catching illegalities and are to be applauded for such diligent work, they are not omnipotent.

If they have, I wouldn't know. I haven't been doing this long. This is a question more suited for Ard or one of the other long-serving WA mods. I'm fairly new so I wouldn't be able to say.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:11 pm

The Walden Estates wrote:This brings up an important question: if moderation did not notice the illegality of this proposal until it was pointed out to them by the honorable ambassador from Sionis Prioratus, how many other proposals have gone to vote and actually been passed that have similar contradictions? We recognize that although moderation does an excellent job at catching illegalities and are to be applauded for such diligent work, they are not omnipotent.

And does this mean ever proposal should have as diligent opposition as this one did, so as to increase the probability of finding an illegality and thus making WA law better?

OOC: In the past, there've been cases when illegality hasn't been realised until a proposal's got the the voting floor. Max Barry Day, back in the UN, was an example of that. Grammatical errors are another thing - one of the Education resolutions under the UN technically only supported schools in the proposer's nation, due to a single misplaced apostrophe.
Unfortunately, once something's on the floor, the mods can't touch it (and the admins don't want to).

It's always important for proposals to be debated, yes. Otherwise we end up with contradictory or otherwise illegal resolutions, and then have the difficulty of repealing something without mentioning that it is illegal.
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

The Walden Estates
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Walden Estates » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:35 pm

Hey hey! So... debate is open now about whether polygamy is good for society or not.

Political Compass:

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:37 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:We can not support this narrow-minded view.

Wow. If this actually gets put on vote, I'm voting against it.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:39 pm

Arumdaum wrote:

Don't worry about that; it's illegal.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

The Walden Estates
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Walden Estates » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:42 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:

Boing! Boing! *Can the ambassador from Greys Harbor please take his head back.* Yes those are gnomes melting into the ceiling.

Political Compass:

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:52 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:

Boing! Boing! *Can the ambassador from Greys Harbor please take his head back.* Yes those are gnomes melting into the ceiling.

"Beth yw'r uffern ydych chi'n siarad am? My point, which you are refering to, was 4 days ago. While debate on this travesty was still ongoing." *shakes head* "Yr wyf yn dechrau credu bod dueling yn syniad iawn a dylid dal i fod cyfreithiol."

Not Ta'veren

The Walden Estates
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Walden Estates » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:

"Beth yw'r uffern ydych chi'n siarad am? My point, which you are refering to, was 4 days ago. While debate on this travesty was still ongoing." *shakes head* "Yr wyf yn dechrau credu bod dueling yn syniad iawn a dylid dal i fod cyfreithiol."

Are you cursing me in Welsh?

Political Compass:

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:10 pm

Actually, that's the native language of Grays Harbor. You'll come in contact with it quite often if you kick around in the GA forums for long enough. ;)

OOC: No joke, it is.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

The Walden Estates
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Walden Estates » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:22 pm

A mean old man wrote:Actually, that's the native language of Grays Harbor. You'll come in contact with it quite often if you kick around in the GA forums for long enough. ;)

Interesting.

OOC: Is Grey's harbor a real place then? Where they speak this celtic looking langauge?

Political Compass:

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:25 pm

A mean old man wrote:Actually, that's the native language of Grays Harbor. You'll come in contact with it quite often if you kick around in the GA forums for long enough. ;)

Interesting.

OOC: Is Grey's harbor a real place then? Where they speak this celtic looking langauge?

I'm not sure about this "Greys Harbor" person, but that is indeed the language of Grays Harbor. And yes, I do frequently post in Harberian, and it is alway IC.
Last edited by Grays Harbor on Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not Ta'veren

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:01 pm

Locked on request of OP.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly