NATION

PASSWORD

[PROPOSED] Higher Education

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Dibeg
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

[PROPOSED] Higher Education

Postby Dibeg » Sat May 02, 2015 1:35 pm

I am a member of the western isles
I have submitted this proposal, please approve it!

To Promote Higher Education
A resolution to promote funding and the development of education and the arts.

Category: Education and Creativity
Area of Effect: Educational
Proposed by: Dibeg

Description: The General Assembly,

RECOGNIZING: the positive effect of higher education on a nation's development, especially in the promotion of individual and democratic freedoms.

OBSERVING: the fact that many nations do not provide easily accessible quality higher education.

DEFINING: quality higher education as education intended for students who have completed high school at the highest possible course level and is well designed to allow for career progression in advanced fields.

REQUIRING: that member nations make available one of two options to all citizens who have completed high school:
(A) One or more schools offering quality higher location, located so as to be accessible to the greatest percent of the nation's population without unfair preference to any group.
(B) Funds allowing any student to travel to another nation to receive quality higher education

CLARIFYING: That no undue restrictions may be set in place that could unjustly bar any group from receiving quality higher education with equal access.

CREATING: A committee tasked with judging the quality and equal accessibility of quality higher education in member nations and ensuring that the intent of this resolution is followed. This committee will be named The Committee for Higher Education

RECOGNIZING the positive effect of higher education on a nation's development, especially in the promotion of individual and democratic freedoms.

OBSERVING the fact that many nations do not provide easily accessible quality higher education.

DEFINING quality higher education as education intended for students who have completed high school at the highest possible course level and is well designed to allow for career progression in advanced fields.

REQUIRES that member nations make available one of two options to all citizens who have completed high school:
(A) One or more schools offering quality higher location, located so as to be accessible to the greatest percent of the nation's population without unfair preference to any group.
(B) Funds allowing any student to travel to another nation to receive quality higher education

CLARIFIES That no undue restrictions may be set in place that could unjustly bar any group from receiving quality higher education with equal access.

CREATES A committee tasked with judging the quality and equal accessibility of quality higher education in member nations and ensuring that the intent of this resolution is followed. This committee will be named The Committee for Higher Education

RECOGNIZING the positive effect of higher education on a nation's development, especially in the promotion of individual and democratic freedoms.

OBSERVING the fact that many nations do not provide easily and equitably accessible higher education.

DEFINING quality higher education as education intended for students who have completed high school at the highest possible course level and is well designed to allow for career progression in advanced fields.

REQUIRES that member nations make available one of two options to all citizens who have completed high school:

CLARIFIES That no group, whether ethnic, political, racial or otherwise should be faced with undue restrictions to receiving quality higher education in an equal manner to any other citizen.

CREATES A committee tasked with judging the quality and equal accessibility of quality higher education in member nations and ensuring that the intent of this resolution is followed, especially in the prevention of discrimination against specific groups. This committee will be named The Committee for Higher Education

OBSERVING the fact that many nations do not provide easily and equitably accessible higher education.

HEREBY:
  1. DEFINES quality higher education as education intended for students who have completed high school at the highest possible course level and is well designed to allow for career progression in advanced fields.
  2. REQUIRES that member nations make available one of two options to all citizens who have completed high school:
  3. CLARIFIES That no group, whether ethnic, political, racial or otherwise should be faced with undue restrictions to receiving quality higher education in an equal manner to any other citizen.
  4. CREATES A committee tasked with judging the quality and equal accessibility of quality higher education in member nations and ensuring that the intent of this resolution is followed, especially in the prevention of discrimination against specific groups. This committee will be named The Committee for Higher Education

HEREBY:
  1. DEFINES quality higher education as education intended for students who have completed secondary school at the highest possible course level and is well designed to allow for career progression in advanced fields.
  2. CREATES A committee tasked with judging the quality and equal accessibility of quality higher education in member nations and ensuring that the intent of this resolution is followed, especially in the prevention of discrimination against specific groups. This committee will be named The Committee for Higher Education
  3. TASKS the Committee for Higher Education with allocating funds to exceptionally intelligent students who require financial assistance. The Committee will impartially and indiscriminately determine which students qualify for this program.
  4. REQUIRES that member nations make available one of two options to all citizens who have completed high school:
    (B) Funds allowing any student to travel to another nation to receive quality higher education, unless the Committee for Higher Education deems the nation concerned economically incapable of providing such funds, in which case, funds will be drawn from the World Assembly General Fund.
  5. CLARIFIES That no group, whether ethnic, political, racial or otherwise should be faced with undue restrictions to receiving quality higher education in an equal manner to any other citizen.

REAFFIRMING the positive effect of higher education on international cooperation and world peace.

LAMENTING that many nations do not provide equally accessible quality higher education to all students.

HEREBY:
  1. DEFINES quality higher education as education intended for students who have completed secondary school at the highest possible course level and is well designed to allow for career progression in advanced fields.
  2. CREATES A committee tasked with judging the quality and equal accessibility of quality higher education in member nations and ensuring that the intent of this resolution is followed. This committee will be named The Committee for Higher Education
  3. REQUIRES that member nations make available one of two options to all citizens who have completed high school:
    (A) One or more schools offering quality higher location, located so as to be accessible to the greatest percent of the nation's population without unfair preference to any group. The Committee for Higher education will determine whether a school meets these criteria.
    (B) Funds allowing any student to travel to another nation to receive quality higher education, unless the Committee for Higher Education deems the nation concerned economically incapable of providing such funds, in which case, funds will be drawn from the World Assembly General Fund.
  4. TASKS the Committee for Higher Education with allocating funds to exceptionally intelligent students who require financial assistance. The Committee will impartially and indiscriminately determine which students qualify for this program.
  5. CLARIFIES That no group, whether ethnic, political, racial or otherwise should be faced with undue restrictions to receiving quality higher education in an equal manner to any other citizen.
Last edited by Dibeg on Sun May 03, 2015 7:07 am, edited 12 times in total.
The Empire of Dibeg

Dibeg is a GA Mentor and former Justice in The Western Isles.
Dibeg's WA Nation is Terravermelho

Abazhaka
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Abazhaka » Sat May 02, 2015 1:59 pm

are you sure there isnt a similar resolution already passed? you might want to check.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat May 02, 2015 2:00 pm

Change your final three clauses to "REQUIRES", "CLARIFIES" and "CREATES" to avoid any issue with whether they are operative clauses or not.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Dibeg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dibeg » Sat May 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Abazhaka wrote:are you sure there isnt a similar resolution already passed? you might want to check.

I did check, other resolutions are, as I mentioned, international education, and also, primary education. As mine is higher education, I believe it is not a repeat.
The Empire of Dibeg

Dibeg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dibeg » Sat May 02, 2015 2:03 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:Change your final three clauses to "REQUIRES", "CLARIFIES" and "CREATES" to avoid any issue with whether they are operative clauses or not.

sure thing.
The Empire of Dibeg

Abazhaka
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Abazhaka » Sat May 02, 2015 2:05 pm

Dibeg wrote:
Abazhaka wrote:are you sure there isnt a similar resolution already passed? you might want to check.

I did check, other resolutions are, as I mentioned, international education, and also, primary education. As mine is higher education, I believe it is not a repeat.

if that is the case I am a proponent of this idea, but have a few changes I would like to suggest with permission.

Dibeg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dibeg » Sat May 02, 2015 2:05 pm

Abazhaka wrote:
Dibeg wrote:I did check, other resolutions are, as I mentioned, international education, and also, primary education. As mine is higher education, I believe it is not a repeat.

if that is the case I am a proponent of this idea, but have a few changes I would like to suggest with permission.

of course.
The Empire of Dibeg

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat May 02, 2015 2:08 pm

You also don't need the colons after your clauses.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

British Empire Strikes Back
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby British Empire Strikes Back » Sat May 02, 2015 2:09 pm

"We find this to be very worthy proposal. Once this proposal is submitted, we shall approve it as the delegate of Palm Beach".

~George Polo, WA Representative for The British Empire Strikes Back~

A World In Disarray- 2017: Join Now!
Proud Jewish Progressive Democrat!
Hillary Clinton Is Our Legitimate President! Gore/Newsom/Sanders/Brown/Cuomo/The Rock 2020

"My daughter is a sex object, our favorite activity to do together as father and daughter is have sex.", Anti-Semite, Racist, Sexist, Mentally-Ill, Morbidly-Obese, Extremely-Low IQ, King of The Lunatics, Donald Trump.

Dibeg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dibeg » Sat May 02, 2015 2:11 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:You also don't need the colons after your clauses.

Changed.
I wont make a new spoiler for tat though.
British Empire Strikes Back wrote:"We find this to be very worthy proposal. Once this proposal is submitted, we shall approve it as the delegate of Palm Beach".

~George Polo, WA Representative for The British Empire Strikes Back~

Thanks.
The Empire of Dibeg

Abazhaka
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Abazhaka » Sat May 02, 2015 2:12 pm

Due to the unequal levels of scientific advancement, it may be a good idea to have the WA responsible for facilitating higher education in more primitive member nations, with the WA taking funding from international aid and the nations own education funds in order to ensure that the same quality education is available in un-advanced countries as in the most advanced member nations. as time progresses, nations will start benefiting from the program and be in no need of WA management anymore.

Dibeg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dibeg » Sat May 02, 2015 2:14 pm

Abazhaka wrote:Due to the unequal levels of scientific advancement, it may be a good idea to have the WA responsible for facilitating higher education in more primitive member nations, with the WA taking funding from international aid and the nations own education funds in order to ensure that the same quality education is available in un-advanced countries as in the most advanced member nations. as time progresses, nations will start benefiting from the program and be in no need of WA management anymore.

I was trying to deal with that problem by just allowing countries to pay for the trip to a developed nation.
If you think that is ineffective I may have to change it.
The Empire of Dibeg

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Sat May 02, 2015 2:17 pm

Does this actually do anything? Most colleges are already located in major population centers to be accessible to the greatest percent of the nation's population without unfair preference to any group. And why should a nation foot the bill for students to travel to another nation? Where do you think the nation is going to get the funds to pay for travel, room and board ant tuition for those students?
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

British Empire Strikes Back
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby British Empire Strikes Back » Sat May 02, 2015 2:19 pm

Dibeg wrote:
Abazhaka wrote:Due to the unequal levels of scientific advancement, it may be a good idea to have the WA responsible for facilitating higher education in more primitive member nations, with the WA taking funding from international aid and the nations own education funds in order to ensure that the same quality education is available in un-advanced countries as in the most advanced member nations. as time progresses, nations will start benefiting from the program and be in no need of WA management anymore.

I was trying to deal with that problem by just allowing countries to pay for the trip to a developed nation.

Is this proposal going to create universal higher education? As in free higher education?
A World In Disarray- 2017: Join Now!
Proud Jewish Progressive Democrat!
Hillary Clinton Is Our Legitimate President! Gore/Newsom/Sanders/Brown/Cuomo/The Rock 2020

"My daughter is a sex object, our favorite activity to do together as father and daughter is have sex.", Anti-Semite, Racist, Sexist, Mentally-Ill, Morbidly-Obese, Extremely-Low IQ, King of The Lunatics, Donald Trump.

Abazhaka
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Abazhaka » Sat May 02, 2015 2:21 pm

Dibeg wrote:

the reason that may be ineffective is because by building new schools in un-advanced countries, the ideology that the nation holds dear may be represented in the education of their best and brightest, whereas shipping them off to a foreign country will result in a foreign influence that could create divisions in the nation between the intellectual elite and the common people.

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Sat May 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Not a good idea. Why should funds be taken from a nation's educational programs to pay for another nation's education program. Why would these so called "unadvanced" nations use their own funds for their own education programs when the WA is so willing to foot the bill?
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat May 02, 2015 2:23 pm

Maybe you could take some of the ideas from one that looks like this. If there's a substantial part that you take, cite me at the end. This is more meant to reduce some of the loopholes in your idea. For example, students should still have to pay for their own education; this variant just allows them to go to other countries to study. Also, the clause that said "no undue restrictions" should just say "no restrictions on ethnicity, sexual orientation, class, etc."

A Right to Higher Education

Category: Education and Creativity | Area of Effect: Educational

The General Assembly;

ACKNOWLEDGING the worldwide need for students to attend higher education to become the future of their nations;

OBSERVING that funding for higher education is lacking in many nations;

NOTING that visible minorities are sometimes denied entry to institutions because of their ethnicity;

HEREBY

1. DEFINES "higher education" as any institution dedicated to students who have completed the highest possible secondary education level in their nation;

2. DECREES that no student planning to attend an institution of higher education may be barred from entry due to their ethnicity;

3. MANDATES that nations do either of the following:
  • Create a government-funded higher education institution, such as a university or college, that is open to the public without preference;
  • Freely allow students to travel to other nations to continue their education

4. CREATES the Committee for the Regulation of Higher Education; and

5. TASKS the Committee with judging the accessibility and education quality of the higher education institution that was regulated under Clause 3, and to make sure that nations follow through on these regulations.
Last edited by Kaboomlandia on Sat May 02, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Co-Author of SC #204

Dibeg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dibeg » Sat May 02, 2015 2:23 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:Does this actually do anything? Most colleges are already located in major population centers to be accessible to the greatest percent of the nation's population without unfair preference to any group. And why should a nation foot the bill for students to travel to another nation? Where do you think the nation is going to get the funds to pay for travel, room and board ant tuition for those students?

What it does is prevent nations from keeping minorities out of education. In real life, look at north korea.
The paying for travel is an either or with building your own. Basically if a nation cannot, or does not want to build a quality university for all in their own country, they must be prepared to pay to allow students to go where they can get proper education. This would be funded out of the department of education.
British Empire Strikes Back wrote:Is this proposal going to create universal higher education? As in free higher education?

No, just equally accessible to all.
The Empire of Dibeg

Dibeg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dibeg » Sat May 02, 2015 2:26 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:Maybe you could take some of the ideas from one that looks like this. If there's a substantial part that you take, cite me at the end. This is more meant to reduce some of the loopholes in your idea.

A Right to Higher Education

Category: Education and Creativity | Area of Effect: Educational

The General Assembly;

ACKNOWLEDGING the worldwide need for students to attend higher education to become the future of their nations;

OBSERVING that funding for higher education is lacking in many nations;

NOTING that visible minorities are sometimes denied entry to institutions because of their ethnicity;

HEREBY

1. DEFINES "higher education" as any institution dedicated to students who have completed the highest possible secondary education level in their nation;

2. DECREES that no student planning to attend an institution of higher education may be barred from entry due to their ethnicity;

3. MANDATES that nations do either of the following:
  • Create a government-funded higher education institution, such as a university or college, that is open to the public without preference;
  • Freely allow students to travel to other nations to continue their education

4. CREATES the Committee for the Regulation of Higher Education; and

5. TASKS the Committee with judging the accessibility and education quality of the higher education institution that was regulated under Clause 3, and to make sure that nations follow through on these regulations.

This definitely clarifies the no exclusion of minorities. I might change one or two things but not too much.
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Sat May 02, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed mismatched tags
The Empire of Dibeg

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat May 02, 2015 2:27 pm

I left the framework of yours in place, just cleaned up here and there.

EDIT: Can you post the code of your sig here? There's a recurring bug with not closing BBcode properly that is causing it.
Last edited by Kaboomlandia on Sat May 02, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Co-Author of SC #204

Abazhaka
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Abazhaka » Sat May 02, 2015 2:28 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:

Not a good idea. Why should funds be taken from a nation's educational programs to pay for another nation's education program. Why would these so called "unadvanced" nations use their own funds for their own education programs when the WA is so willing to foot the bill?

no, the country that the school is being built for would provide their own funding, with some help if they cant afford it.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat May 02, 2015 2:30 pm

Abazhaka wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote:

no, the country that the school is being built for would provide their own funding, with some help if they cant afford it.

Maybe the WAGF can help pay for it.
Co-Author of SC #204

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Sat May 02, 2015 2:30 pm

Dibeg wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote:Does this actually do anything? Most colleges are already located in major population centers to be accessible to the greatest percent of the nation's population without unfair preference to any group. And why should a nation foot the bill for students to travel to another nation? Where do you think the nation is going to get the funds to pay for travel, room and board ant tuition for those students?

What it does is prevent nations from keeping minorities out of education. In real life, look at north korea.
The paying for travel is an either or with building your own. Basically if a nation cannot, or does not want to build a quality university for all in their own country, they must be prepared to pay to allow students to go where they can get proper education. This would be funded out of the department of education.
British Empire Strikes Back wrote:Is this proposal going to create universal higher education? As in free higher education?

No, just equally accessible to all.

You're proposal doesn't prevent nations from keeping minorities out of college. All it does is require nations to put colleges in high population centers or create a fund to pay for students to study abroad.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Dibeg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dibeg » Sat May 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:
You're proposal doesn't prevent nations from keeping minorities out of college. All it does is require nations to put colleges in high population centers or create a fund to pay for students to study abroad.

I've edited it to be more specific about this.
The Empire of Dibeg

Dibeg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dibeg » Sat May 02, 2015 2:33 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:I left the framework of yours in place, just cleaned up here and there.

EDIT: Can you post the code of your sig here? There's a recurring bug with not closing BBcode properly that is causing it.

I am not quite sure what you mean.
The Empire of Dibeg

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly