NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Helium Limit

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Apercoriabajaia
Attaché

Founded: Aug 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Helium Limit

Postby Apercoriabajaia » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:57 pm

Before I really draft a bill regarding this I wanted to create a limit on the use of Helium. Helium is rare and we are running out. Helium is more important than just for the use of balloons.
What Helium is Used For
While helium is perhaps best known for use in balloons, it is widely used in industrial fields. Advanced computer components often need to be cooled while they are being manufactured, and helium is often used for this purpose. It is also used by divers to prevent nitrogen-related health problems. Welders use helium as well.
Helium is common in the universe. About 90 percent of the universe's mass is composed of hydrogen; most of the remaining 10 percent is helium. This is because stars fuse two hydrogen atoms together to make helium, and much of this helium is released when stars die. The ratio of helium is expected to rise in the future.
In the NS world, however, helium is somewhat rare, and helium prices have been rising for decades. Since helium is so light, it rises through the atmosphere, and it is not a component of other molecules since it is inert. Most helium comes from radioactive decay underground, and it is generally collected during oil-drilling operations.
With this I would actually like input to actually create an international bill which would limit the use of helium so as to conserve it. Obviously we do not have the technology to capture helium from space so that is an issue currently. Would like your input...thanks!!
Last edited by Apercoriabajaia on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:44 pm

Welcome to the World Assembly. You'll want to review the rules. I noticed you're referencing "Earth" - it's not considered part of the NS world; it's an example of a real world reference. A no-no in proposals.

Although these factors don't affect legality, they will affect whether you gain support: your proposal is heavily focused on a modern world where certain types of technology don't exist. In the NS-universe, some nations use ancient technology, some modern, others have advance/futuristic or fantasy technology. If you want to make a case for conservation, you'll need to make the language universally applicable to all member nations, otherwise you'll face cries of, "this is a national/this isn't an international issue". You'll also need to consider the category.

When drafting, it's best to write to the category. Pick the category for your proposal before you begin drafting.
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Return to General Assembly