NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Repeal "Restrictions on Child Labor"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Sensimillastan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Repeal "Restrictions on Child Labor"

Postby Sensimillastan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:16 am

WA Proposal

"REPEAL 'Restrictions on Child Labour'"

Understanding that certain nations may wish to employ or allow the employment of children;

Realizing that these said Nations are those which are less Economically Developed than us;

Believing that child labour is good work and life experience for the said children, and that this leads to much higher levels of employment, thus leading the said countries to a better financial future;

Further believing that employment of children decreases levels of poverty in poor families, thus saving the Governing Body of the said Nation millions in welfare towards the poor;

Also believing that emloyment of children in local buisnesses will bring greater economic benefits, and thus develop the said Nation's economy further.

Accepting that certain basic protections should be provided to all children;

However, confused at what age one can classify a child/minor, and thus proposing the official age to be set at 18.

Agrees with Section B Part 1, 2, 6 and 7, stated below: (B) Bans the employment of minors in: (1) work in which they are subject to physical or psychological abuse, (2) work in which they are required to be in physical locations that would be damaging to their health, (6) work in environments that may expose them to hazardous substances, agents and/or processes, (7) work which would preclude the pursuit of a full-time education, such as work for long hours or work where they are unreasonably confined to the premises of the employer.

Insisting that all employed minors are permitted to have a full-time education, thus benefiting in the long term not only the children, but also the employers, as they will benefit from a more intelligent, and therefore more capable workforce.

Accepts Sections C and D: (C) Bans the participation of minors in armed conflict. (D) Bans anyone under the age of consent from engaging in sexually explicit acts as a form of employment.

Believing that this will be profitable to all involved parties (Government, private sector, minors, family of minors) in the long term;

Hearby repealing World Assembly Resolution #4 Restrictions on Child Labour

Co-Authored by Hydra-Russian Empire
5-Normal Peacetime Readiness
4-Heightened Alert
3-Increased Readiness
2-Declaration Iminnent, High Readiness
1-Maximimum Wartime Readiness
Current Defcon Level-3

Proud Monarchist and Defender of the People

"For We Shall always be the Light in the Darkness, opening our arms wide to support the oppressed."-HRH King John I

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:27 am

You appear to be legislating in a repeal here. Split out your arguments for the repeal into one repeal resolution and, if you so wish wish, propose a separate replacement proposal. Be careful of not plagiarising the original however.

That being said, we would support a repeal of the target resolution for the right reasons so long as a there is also a replacement being proposed. However, we do not agree with the reasons you have set out and would not support a repeal including those arguments.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:33 am

Bananaistan wrote:You appear to be legislating in a repeal here...

Mhm.

Alqania wrote:Looks like it's either Legislating in a Repeal or attempting just a partial repeal of the target resolution. Or both.

In addition to the other recommendations here, it might also be worthwhile to look over the proposal rules.

And I presume you have the permission of Hydra-Russian Empire to use text from the repeal they submitted earlier and to list them as co-author?
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Blaccakre
Attaché

Founded: Apr 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Blaccakre » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:34 am

I support the idea of a repeal of this proposal, but this draft needs lots of work.

You'd have more success if you pointed out the problems rather than just agreeing with a lot of the resolution and then bemoaning the fact that we could make more money putting kids to work in the salt mines. One of my biggest criticisms is that it prohibits minors from jobs involving "heavy loads." Why the hell shouldn't a 17 year old linebacker be allowed to earn extra money hauling hay?
The Glorious, Unparalleled, Doubleplusgood Kingdom of Blaccakre
"There is no justice, only the Law."

Any effort by World Assembly Census experts to label our glorious nation as "corrupt," or to claim that we have "short average lifespans" and "ignorant citizens," shall be treated as belligerent propaganda and will result in severe reprisal.

Sensimillastan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Sensimillastan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:37 am

Alqania wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:You appear to be legislating in a repeal here...

Mhm.

Alqania wrote:Looks like it's either Legislating in a Repeal or attempting just a partial repeal of the target resolution. Or both.

In addition to the other recommendations here, it might also be worthwhile to look over the proposal rules.

And I presume you have the permission of Hydra-Russian Empire to use text from the repeal they submitted earlier and to list them as co-author?

Yes. He told me to help him work on it. I told him I wanted to post it here for constructive criticism, he said fine. He did not tell me he tried submitting it earlier, making me look bad
4-Heightened Alert
3-Increased Readiness
Current Defcon Level-3

"For We Shall always be the Light in the Darkness, opening our arms wide to support the oppressed."-HRH King John I

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:39 pm

OOC: In 2-3 weeks I may resume repeal/replace efforts. But this repeal as written contains some arguments it would be difficult to endorse.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:45 am

Sensimillastan wrote:
Alqania wrote:And I presume you have the permission of Hydra-Russian Empire to use text from the repeal they submitted earlier and to list them as co-author?

Yes. He told me to help him work on it. I told him I wanted to post it here for constructive criticism, he said fine. He did not tell me he tried submitting it earlier, making me look bad

OOC: His consent to your use of his text needs to be posted somewhere that the Mods can see it, if that isn't already the case.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:56 am

Sensimillastan, legislating within a repeal guarantees its removal. Since you're concerned about age, you may want to read GAR#299: Legal Competence. It would be a good thing to remember if you decide to introduce a replacement legislation.

You are also advised to ensure that you have the original author's permission. The easiest means of submitting proof is having the original author send us a getting help request noting they've given you permission, posting here, or posting in Moderation with a link to this thread. :)
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Sensimillastan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Sensimillastan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:22 pm

I am sorry. I'm new to making resolutions and I am only trying to help my friend. Could someone please explain what you mean by legislating in a repeal? I don't understand
4-Heightened Alert
3-Increased Readiness
Current Defcon Level-3

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:25 pm

Sensimillastan wrote:I am sorry. I'm new to making resolutions and I am only trying to help my friend. Could someone please explain what you mean by legislating in a repeal? I don't understand

"Repeals have only one effect: Negating the target resolution. They cannot impose changes or have any other effect other than removing the previous legislation. Absolutely none."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:34 pm

Unofficial opinion, not a mod:

Specifically, I think these are probably the parts you would have to remove from your repeal:
thus proposing the official age to be set at 18.

Agrees with Section B Part 1, 2, 6 and 7, stated below: (B) Bans the employment of minors in: (1) work in which they are subject to physical or psychological abuse, (2) work in which they are required to be in physical locations that would be damaging to their health, (6) work in environments that may expose them to hazardous substances, agents and/or processes, (7) work which would preclude the pursuit of a full-time education, such as work for long hours or work where they are unreasonably confined to the premises of the employer.

Insisting that all employed minors are permitted to have a full-time education, thus benefiting in the long term not only the children, but also the employers, as they will benefit from a more intelligent, and therefore more capable workforce.

Accepts Sections C and D: (C) Bans the participation of minors in armed conflict. (D) Bans anyone under the age of consent from engaging in sexually explicit acts as a form of employment.

You would then, once the repeal passed, have to submit a new resolution reinstating those provisions. I would very, very strongly suggest you not do so, however, given almost all of it is copied directly from the original resolution, and thus it might constitute plagiarism, which is a severe rules violation.
Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HYDRA-Russian Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 15, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HYDRA-Russian Empire » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:55 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Sensimillastan wrote:

OOC: His consent to your use of his text needs to be posted somewhere that the Mods can see it, if that isn't already the case.

I have given Sensimillastan permission to use this text. OK?
Glory to the Empire
Emperor Peter IV
Tsarevich Nicholay (III) Petrovich
I live in the UK, so my time may be different to yours.
WARNING: THIS NATION DOES NOT REPRESENT MY VIEWS
---
[url]---[/url]
Anti-Democracy League | League of Mechanocracies
Embassy Program (OBSOLETE)|Member of GESO

A level 2.9 civilization, according to this index (Tier 10, Level 7, Type 10).

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:21 pm

HYDRA-Russian Empire wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:OOC: His consent to your use of his text needs to be posted somewhere that the Mods can see it, if that isn't already the case.

I have given Sensimillastan permission to use this text. OK?

ACCEPTED
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

HYDRA-Russian Empire
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HYDRA-Russian Empire » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:49 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:
HYDRA-Russian Empire wrote:I have given Sensimillastan permission to use this text. OK?

ACCEPTED

Cool-cool
Glory to the Empire
Emperor Peter IV
---
[url]---[/url]

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:17 pm

A few general comments:
Sensimillastan wrote:Also believing that emloyment of children in local buisnesses will bring greater economic benefits, and thus develop the said Nation's economy further.

Typos in "employment" and "businesses," for starters.

Sensimillastan wrote:However, confused at what age one can classify a child/minor, and thus proposing the official age to be set at 18.

This isn't an official ruling, but on a first glance, my analysis of this section matches what DSR referenced above. As others have stated, repeals are only able to remove legislation. You're unable to pick and choose and only remove *parts* of a given resolution. It's an all or nothing affair. Of course, you (or someone else) may be able to pass a replacement after this has been successfully repealed and then re-implement aspects of the resolution that you wish to keep in place.

I'd recommend removing these "arguments" (colored in red) at minimum, as they are trying to establish rules, regulations, and/or standards within a repeal. Like I (and others) have said above, regulations can only move in one direction or another - a given resolution can either add regulations or remove regulations - it can't do both.

Sensimillastan wrote:Co-Authored by Hydra-Russian Empire

If/when it comes time to submit this, you'll want to ensure you're using the [nation=short] tags. They don't work on the forums, but that ensures that your co-authorship credit is in line with the current GA rules on Branding.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

HYDRA-Russian Empire
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HYDRA-Russian Empire » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:41 am

Thank you very much!
We will work on it ASAP, then re-submit it into the forum.
Thanks again
:)
Glory to the Empire
Emperor Peter IV
---
[url]---[/url]

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:16 am

Also, if it's a short nation name, you could just put the @ symbol in front of the name. From experience, it doesn't seem to work with longer names.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:48 am

Kaboomlandia wrote:Also, if it's a short nation name, you could just put the @ symbol in front of the name. From experience, it doesn't seem to work with longer names.

I know that works on the rmb but does that work in proposals? Also, it seems likely that it would violate the branding rule.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly