NATION

PASSWORD

General Assembly Propsal

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
TrekWars
Civilian

Founded: Mar 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

General Assembly Propsal

Postby TrekWars » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:13 pm

Description All WA nations must create Armed Militias to help defended against foreign aggressors

Knowing that many nations are against guns ownership. However the weapons the militias will have will be government property.

Understand that all members of the militias will have gone through a background checks

Understand the militias will be lead by experience military officials.

Understanding all militias members will gone through training on military tactics and gun safety courses

Can someone help me edit this to make sure my proposal is good enough

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:33 pm

Category: International Security | Strength: Significant
All WA nations must create Armed Militias to help defend against foreign aggressors.

Knowing that many nations are against guns ownership, the weapons the militias shall have shall be government property.

All members of the militias must have gone through a background check.

The militias shall be led by experienced military officials.

All militia members must go through training on military tactics and gun safety courses.
Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:15 am

TrekWars wrote:Can someone help me edit this to make sure my proposal is good enough
So DSR has taken the time to make your previous text make more sense. Right now it looks like its legal - although you shouldn't take just my word (and presumably DSR's) for it.

However, just because it's legal, does that mean it's good enough? I suspect you'll find a number of nations complaining that this isn't required.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Pharthan
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:10 am

OOC: A few tips to help you out:
1: Note the format of other proposal topics to better help organize your layout to make it more readable. Don't plagarize but get some ideas.
2: Have an issue requiring international law. If it affects the international community, sure. Environment and conduct during warfare, et cetera. This really doesn't. Only the nations individually are affected.
3: Consider cultural implications. In this case, what if the nation is religious and refuses to take up arms entirely? Also, not all nations are modern tech. Requiring gun safety courses for nations with nothing more than bows, arrows, and catapults or whatever FT or FanT nations use is a bit ridiculous.
4: Consider loopholes. At this point, any nation could have a veteran armed with a butter knife and call themselves good.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Humanity is a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:13 am

The WA has members that refuse to have armies, or prefer to stick with entirely civilian law and order units, such as Costa Rica. Therefore, I imagine that this idea is unlikely to see the light of day, for cultural reasons.

-- Ms. S. Harper.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:34 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:The WA has members that refuse to have armies, or prefer to stick with entirely civilian law and order units, such as Costa Rica.

Militia are typically civilian forces, aren't they?
Last edited by Omigodtheykilledkenny on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:36 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:The WA has members that refuse to have armies, or prefer to stick with entirely civilian law and order units, such as Costa Rica.

OOC: They sorta straddle that line, legally speaking.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Pharthan
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:44 pm

OOC: It really depends. Many start that way, and the general idea is that they are staffed by civilians, but tied into larger military commands. If they are given enough training they may be considered "Inactive Military" as opposed to "Active Duty."
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Humanity is a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:57 am

OOC: Not historically in the UK, where they were more of [to use USA terminology] a 'national guard' equivalent subject to regular training requirements and issued with arms & uniforms.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly