NATION

PASSWORD

Environmental Sovereignty Code

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:37 pm

OOC: I've never really understood why people who play extreme RP realities - like "my nation is a whole planet and doesn't interact with any others" - expect, demand that we cater to them absolutely, yet the converse is not true: we're constantly being forced to generalise and abstract as the interpretation of the RL reference/MetaGaming rules grow ever more restrictive. Thankfully Sedgistan overruled Ardchoille's bizarre ruling on the subject the other day (which would have been a much more effective blocker on environmental legislation than this proposal!) but in general, things only ever seem to go the way of those playing highly speculative scenarios.

There, I made it through one whole post without mentioning wank - oh, dammit.
Last edited by Gruenberg on Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you mean "coming out"...as a Guardian reader would understand the term?"

Normlpeople
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:44 pm

"Oh, now THIS is environmental legislation I can wholeheartedly support! It is high time people began realizing that killing a nations economy for the protection of a few insignificant plants or animals is incredibly stupid. If anything, this will provide a wonderful roadblock from the green zealots patrolling these halls lately. Complete support."
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Old Hope wrote:Conclusion: The World Assembly cannot pass environmental legislation anymore, because that legislation is affecting my right to regulate my nations intranational issues myself!

:rofl: OMFG! The World Assembly is attempting to pass regulations that affect my sovereignty, so therefore they must be illegal! Are you actually trying to make that the whole crux of your argument? If so, I would suggest you go and read the rules before continuing to post, lest you look like a complete moron (which may have already happened, just saying.....)
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

Old Hope
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:53 pm

Chester Pearson wrote:
Old Hope wrote:Conclusion: The World Assembly cannot pass environmental legislation anymore, because that legislation is affecting my right to regulate my nations intranational issues myself!

:rofl: OMFG! The World Assembly is attempting to pass regulations that affect my sovereignty, so therefore they must be illegal! Are you actually trying to make that the whole crux of your argument? If so, I would suggest you go and read the rules before continuing to post, lest you look like a complete moron (which may have already happened, just saying.....)

The World Assembly is attempting to pass regulations that affect my sovereignty guranteed by the draft we talk about , so therefore they must be illegal if the draft passes!
And if you are wondering what I speak about- take a look at this:
4. Reserves for individual member nations absolute sovereignty over all purely intranational environmental regulation of persons, territories and activities within their jurisdiction, except as is necessary to meet obligations under any active prior World Assembly law;
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The format wars are a waste of time.

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:55 pm

Old Hope wrote:
Chester Pearson wrote:

The World Assembly is attempting to pass regulations that affect my sovereignty guranteed by the draft we talk about , so therefore they must be illegal if the draft passes!
4. Reserves for individual member nations absolute sovereignty over all purely intranational environmental regulation of persons, territories and activities within their jurisdiction, except as is necessary to meet obligations under any active prior World Assembly law;

Which resolution guarantees that the World Assembly wont interfere with your national sovereignty, if I may ask?
Last edited by Chester Pearson on Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Chester Pearson wrote:
Old Hope wrote:

Which resolution guarantees that the World Assembly wont interfere with your national sovereignty, if I may ask?

None. I was not speaking about a nonexistant resolution that would do that generally.
What does Clause 4 in this draft mean? Maybe I misunderstand the meaning... but what is the purpose of that clause?
Last edited by Old Hope on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Old Hope wrote:What does Clause 4 in this draft mean? Maybe I misunderstand the meaning... but what is the purpose of that clause?

It is a blocker clause, blocking further legislation in this matter.... Please think of the children and read the stickies before you keep posting?
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:43 am

Chester Pearson wrote:
Old Hope wrote:What does Clause 4 in this draft mean? Maybe I misunderstand the meaning... but what is the purpose of that clause?

It is a blocker clause, blocking further legislation in this matter.... Please think of the children and read the stickies before you keep posting?

Let me ask the other way round:
How is it possible to legislate within proposals in the area of environmental legislation at all if this passes?

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:18 am

Old Hope wrote:
Chester Pearson wrote:

Let me ask the other way round:
How is it possible to legislate within proposals in the area of environmental legislation at all if this passes?

OOC: I will give you one example, one, but I'm not going to get into a huge back and forth. You've already shown your hand: you're just going to argue about some isolated single-nation-planet where environmental factors don't affect other nations. I'm not interested in such extreme scenarios, nor do I understand why everyone else has to cave into the demands of such players when roleplaying in general is given such scant regard. On such a planet-nation, why should there be international waters? Why are bioweapons or epidemics international concerns? Thank Wena the delineation of borders resolution was repealed: who needs such a thing when there are no borders?

Snore.

Example: NSUN Resolution #155, "Waste Disposal Covenant". Only a single line of that proposal, 6(a), would no longer be possible, and even that's arguable and could be readily fixed anyway.
Last edited by Gruenberg on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Old Hope
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:00 am

Um, ok. Still, that means that further environmental resolution would not be able to ban something outright. A significant portion of the resolution's limited space has to be used to adress this resolution.

But there are still other issues as well.

Can you explain how clause 2,
2. Mandates that all nations remove environmental regulations that have the sole effect of stifling sustainable development;

does not contradict clause 5 and 4 of this proposal?
Last edited by Old Hope on Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:13 am

Old Hope wrote:Um, ok. Still, that means that further environmental resolution would not be able to ban something outright.

Yes, they would.
Old Hope wrote:A significant portion of the resolution's limited space has to be used to adress this resolution.

A few words in one line of the preamble is not a "significant portion" of 3500 characters.
Old Hope wrote:Can you explain how clause 2,
does not contradict clause 5 and 4 of this proposal?

Clause 4 does not affect "prior" law, which would include the prior clause 2. I can add "further" to clause 5 if you really think it's necessary, but even by the WA's current standards that would be a fairly tortured reading.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:58 am

Gruenberg wrote:You've already shown your hand: you're just going to argue about some isolated single-nation-planet where environmental factors don't affect other nations. I'm not interested in such extreme scenarios, nor do I understand why everyone else has to cave into the demands of such players when roleplaying in general is given such scant regard. On such a planet-nation, why should there be international waters?

Actually, there aren’t. With only one nation having any territory on the planet, and therefore only one nation having a 24-mile wide band of territorial waters around its lands, all of the other waters there would fall into the “and any further waters that are enclosed by these” part of the definition and therefore also be ‘territorial’ rather than ‘international’ in nature. That’s one of the potential situations that this wording was actually intended to cover.

^_^
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:15 am

I did note that clause but had interpreted it to mean inland waters. I remember you arguing this way back when the first Law of the Sea was repealed.
Gruenberg, 2006 wrote:
St Edmund, 2006 wrote:Apart from the difficult-to-handle one that any FT nations that are located on planets of their own may see no reason why they can't claim ALL of the water on those planets as being within their territories...
Then there will be no other people coming to use that planet's seas' resources, and so it won't matter anyway.

Your doggedness evidently won out, although working out the geometry of that interpretation of "enclosed" is doing my head in. It seems counterintuitive to say that the Earth's international waters are "enclosed" by the territorial claims.

Not that I really think it matters: it was one example, and others could easily be substituted e.g. those are some impressive migratory animals to pose an international concern for planet-nations.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:30 pm

I get what you're trying to do with this, but I really think we should caution against writing these types of blockers. Gruenberg may have one completely reasonable idea of what an international environmental issue is. But that doesn't mean those in power will, or that in a legal fight over an environmental proposal, the side with that reasonable view won't be up against somebody with better rhetoric.

The better way to stop the World Assembly from legislating local environmental issues would be to ensure those proposals don't make to quorum. Yes, that's difficult. But it's also very difficult to write a blocker and know for a fact that it will be applied within the strict confines of how the author intended.

Louisistan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Louisistan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:09 am

"While I do enjoy (and get a certain deal of amusement out of) your everlasting crusade against the Secretariat, I'm unsure about this one. NEF is garbage. Everybody just adds 'doors pose an extreme hazard to national populations' to their economic proposals. What good does that do? None. Nobody even cares to demonstrate anymore how doors pose a risk, they just say 'I added the line, so it's legal'. Your proposal is going to do just the same thing. Simply adding some bullshit line to a proposal without anyone taking care of demonstrating (either in the debate or preferably in the proposal) how it is a transnational issue. That just encourages sloppy work."
Knight of TITO

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:31 am

OOC: There doesn't seem to be a great deal of support for this, so I won't be pursuing this right now. I really don't think there was anything terribly unreasonable about the idea though, so I'll keep it at the back of my mind for future thoughts.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly